The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: andalucia on November 06, 2004, 02:00:29 pm
-
I am not even sure what to say about Cornelius' latest update, except to say that it is an epic of mind-boggling awesomeness.
"my mother just dug a trench, etc."
-
That was just insane! A rollicking good time, and a hell of a read.
After a few seconds of throttling and wrenching, she had torn the little fellow's entire head off and set about devouring its face with an abandon normally reserved for animals in Stephen King novels.
I find it's less disturbing to watch people eat if I don't anthropomorphize.
-
i find my eyes teary, and my heart broken.
i am continually amazed at the diverse voice onstadt brings to his work.
-
Yeah. I almost felt embarrassed that I read the whole thing and liked it.
-
Hell, he one-upped the country western party. Rock rock on, Onstad.
-
Thank you, blog readers. I am glad you enjoy these extra features.
As I asked in a less-active thread, would a printed collection of the blogs be appealing to you?
I'm thinking of collecting them because it's hard (impossible?) to follow all the different stories and minor arcs simply by clicking around, particularly if you're new. Chronologically interwoven blogs would lay the thing out in linear, non-maddening fashion.
Thank you.
-
I would at least consider a printed copy of the blogs, although I confess that it'd also be excellent if those strips that were significantly blog-related were added as well, so that it was possible to follow the full narrative. It could be an awesome thing.
-
"The Wurst Men" (excellent German-style sausages cooked and served by guys dressed as famous criminals, such as Al Capone, Jeffrey Dahmer and Ed Gein).
their estranged daughter is marrying a rash model
I like the drinking vodka and Red Bull and listening to Boston and AC/DC, too. And how about carting the dysfunctional family off and giving everyone steaks! Brutal, but funny.
Also, I'm not 100% sure I'd buy a collection of blogs - but I'm sort of only now starting to buy the books, so I might not be the typical customer.
-
As I asked in a less-active thread, would a printed collection of the blogs be appealing to you?
short answer: yes.
long, and inevitable in its occurence from me, answer:
I'm not likely to by any of the comic compilations in the near furture, because i can't justify (to my current circumstances[lady]) a purchase of something i have free access to.
As such, a book of blogs would not be easily purchased by me. However, Only Available in the Blog Book artwork of characters in context of events would certainly "sweeten the pot".
For instance, a small drawing of Mr. Bear landed on a cooked pig surrounded by the text of his most current blog, for instance.
Ordinarily, i am not a fan of illustrations within fiction, since my mind's eye always captures what i'm reading far better than some per-drawing hack.
However, 1- Onstadt is not a per-drawing hack that poorly illustrates Roger Zelazny novels, 2- The fiction of the Achewood Blogs already has illustrations. and given that the illustrator would be the author, the validity of the drawings interpretations of the text would be entirely, uh, validated.
I am thinking right now of Tolkein's Letters to the North Pole. The Letters are of a somewhat blog/diary like nature, which evoke colorful and fanciful imagining of what is going on. The illustrations help to bring those out, AND keep honest to the writer's vision because the writer is the author.
Add to that, the extra "exclusive" content the book would then contain.
Witness the sale of your one-off painitngs on ebay. there would appear to be a demand for your non-strip oriented artwork of the strip based characters.
Illustrating the blog book could potentially give you an "Artistic outlet" for the achewood universe outside of the comic strip context.
It would, of course, add a great deal of "Work" for you to do.
All that being said, i have to say a text only release of the blogs would be a delight, because as i've said before, the distinct voice you give to each character is truly a beauty to behold. your illustrations are incredible but your dialogue and story and voice is wonderful as well.
i would also venture to say that i do not believe there to be enough content currently in the blogs to flesh out a purchase worthy compendium.
i hope you are not looking for enough "yes i would buy the blog book" sentiment to justify your continuation of the blogs in and of themselves, since the thought of losing the blogs saddens me.
-
I'd buy it if there was added content. And I'd like to see the strip/blog continuity addressed somehow. If it were only with footnotes from the characters saying things like, "Chris put this in the strip (against my wishes!). It's in Volume 5, p. 19."
-
I would buy it, but I would probably buy a collection of, like, the characters' shopping lists, so you might not want to make any big business decisions based on my input.
-
I just want to say that it's fundamentally unfair that someone who makes such funny comics can also write so fuck*ng well.
-
Thank you, blog readers. I am glad you enjoy these extra features.
As I asked in a less-active thread, would a printed collection of the blogs be appealing to you?
I'm thinking of collecting them because it's hard (impossible?) to follow all the different stories and minor arcs simply by clicking around, particularly if you're new. Chronologically interwoven blogs would lay the thing out in linear, non-maddening fashion.
Thank you.
The blogs integrate well with the strips. It may be better to put them in between the strips in chronological order.
-
I don't want to get all Marshall McLuhan here, but I think the blog posts would lose some impact if they are presented in a vacuum (i.e. alone in book form.) Part of what makes the blogs so fascinating is their interconnectivity to the strips. They allow you to reach a much higher level of character development. However, much of the funniest material in the blogs refers (either back or forwards) to bits covered in the strip. The two media support and enhance each other. Reading the blogs alone would be like listening to the dialog from Pulp Fiction -- great stuff but you're missing at least half the experience.
-
I don't want to get all Marshall McLuhan here...
NIIIICCEEEEE. Smart point awarded to you!
-
I don't know if the medium is really key to the success of the blogs, but of course ideally it would be nice to have a guided through-line through all of the blog entries in some semblance of order (not only between the days but between the different blogs on the same day) and of course also including the necessary strips involved - I suppose the blog tour would need some strips leading up to the blogs to explain Philippe's presidential run &c.
It would be nice to have a frame-based "Next" and "Previous" link taking us to the proper entries, right on the web so we can experience the blogs through the browser as they were meant to be seen, but then again, I don't know how you'd monitize that so the book is probably the way to go.
-
okay, i know this thread has gone off in another direction already, but i'll be that kid what walks into class late and interrupts everybody to add his two cents.
Mr. Bear's tale:
terrific. i was so skeptical at first. all "oh, no i can't believe he sold his car to chase a broad!" i knew it wouldn't work and stuff and i was really looking down at him, thinking "what an effing fool, all bent over a broad!" but this story is great. he sold the car but learned much russian.
is it the fact that he saw Ekaterina and was turned off? did that make it easier to digest than if he had met her and she'd simply said "no, ugly, i'm a beautiful sports star and you're a nobody - a nobody who probably has a blog that nobody reads." though she'd be wrong, he'd be rejected, dejected, and sans sports car.
is it the fact that he found a love for her culture regardless of her social graces? he has learned more than just the language, obviously. he learned the joy they take in food and vodka, and the sadness in losing teenagers in snowdrifts. he has found a social group that regards conversation more important than commerce.
but yes, he is not an Ekaterinburger, and i will be glad when he returns to the wood hood.
-
His trip to Russia is such that the benefits of the journey outweigh the failure in its initial goal. He has had a unique experience and another thrilling chapter for his memoirs.
-
I don't know which is a better line:
"the beautiful scent of charred beef filled the air."
or
"A gnat chewing on an atom of carbon would have been asked to leave, so silent was the room."
Excellent.
-
I love you.
Snif.
Anyhow, I guess it is pretty good to be off the campaign trail. I don't have to wear uncomfortable shirts any more and think about different country relationships and all that hard stuff.
I bet that's the same thing GWB said to Cheney when he tucked him into bed last Tuesday night.
-
I bet that's the same thing GWB said to Cheney when he tucked him into bed last Tuesday night.
Oh, so it was a shirt? Oh, OK.
"Let me finish..."
Riiiiight.
-
I cannot imagine a greasier food than american cheese wrapped around pork sausages. That's just disturbing.
And dammit, now I'm reading AB's blog. I am beink such the geek.
-
chris links to a cooks blog (http://www.altonbrown.com/pages/rants.html) who rants about grits (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?t=1259).
-
Why did Teodor do such a mean thing to Phillippe? You know, the more I find out about Teodor the less I like him.
But, oh, Chris knows who Harold McGee is. Dang, every time I think I'm really over him for good this time...
-
Oh, wombat, he's just trying to encourage the little guy to be healthy. Meat from frozen taquitos really is pretty nasty - worse even than what they serve in burritos & c. from Taco Bell.
I find it refreshing that Teodor is open, honest, and instructive with Philippe: he's the only one who is. Is it any wonder Philippe looks up to him so?
-
Aw jeez, he's only five. You don't bring an otter up to be a lover of good eats by being mean to him about what he likes. You do it by exposing him in a nonjudgmental way to quality delicious things when you have the chance. Teodor didn't even make him anything else for lunch.
I still think he's being a jerk. I think he needs to get a girlfriend and leave Philippe alone.
-
Okay, I have no idea what's going on with the whole Molly/Beef thing. Obviously, Molly doesn't like living with Tina, and would rather live with Beef, but Beef's had his pride wounded and is doing the whole Ayn Rand thing. I don't see how this can get resolved.
-
Okay, I have no idea what's going on with the whole Molly/Beef thing. Obviously, Molly doesn't like living with Tina, and would rather live with Beef, but Beef's had his pride wounded and is doing the whole Ayn Rand thing. I don't see how this can get resolved.
I have the most amazing image of Beef minting his own money, but instead of the dollar sign, he's got like the java coffee cup logo.
in addition: beef is waaaaaay too insecure to do the ayn rand thing. i mean, confidence in his own ability? a belief that he is superior? just....no.
ps: are molly and beef officially broken up? or are they fading fast? fine line, people. fine line.
-
It's a free drug, and it's made of sex.
I cannot think of a better way to describe this phenomenon.
-
I like making BLT's with spinach instead of lettuce and with smooth peanut butter instead of (or in addition to) mayo. Hell of delicious.
I'm considering substituting beef jerkey for bacon and making a total bastard BLT variation but I think it would have to be made on untoasted Wonder bread and I don't think that's something I want to eat.
-
I like making BLT's with spinach instead of lettuce and with smooth peanut butter instead of (or in addition to) mayo. Hell of delicious.
I'm considering substituting beef jerkey for bacon and making a total bastard BLT variation but I think it would have to be made on untoasted Wonder bread and I don't think that's something I want to eat.
Wait, would the proposed sandwich be "beef jerky, lettuce, tomato, maybe mayo" or "beef jerky, spinach, tomato, peanut butter, maybe mayo?" I am not sure which is sadder.
-
I like making Gin and Tonics, except I substitute Vodka for the Gin and OJ for the Tonic.
-
I second Bobby I's suggestion that the blogs and strips appear together in the books. Some of the strips now are informed by blog posts. The whole together is much more delicious. It'd be some job figuring how to integrate the two, but, maybe blog text only with relevant strips?
Oh, and mad props for the Cornelius post. Top-shelf.
-
It makes me want to weep to read of someone having good chile verde in California, where I am not.
I am actually in New York City at the moment, and most of the culinary riches of the world are probably available to me. But probably not good chile verde like in California.
I suppose I will have to go see if a bagel comforts me.
-
I am actually in New York City at the moment, and most of the culinary riches of the world are probably available to me. But probably not good chile verde like in California.
Whoa, you're in the city? For how long? We should kick it.
The problem with food here is, yes, I'm sure there's really great food available. But the problem is, a) you probably will never hear about it, and b) you will probably never be able to afford it.
-
I suppose I will have to go see if a bagel comforts me.
doods, that ain't fair. i have not had one decent bagel since being out here in the bay. and i didn't even live in NY, i'm from MI
-
Whoa, you're in the city? For how long? We should kick it.
The problem with food here is, yes, I'm sure there's really great food available. But the problem is, a) you probably will never hear about it, and b) you will probably never be able to afford it.
I'm just here another few hours this time unfortunately but maybe next time there could be a NY Achewood Con. I'm sure we could think of a really excellent place for the photographs.
The bagel was very comforting. And the pizza is still exactly the pizza of my youth. This is what matters the most probably.