The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: arkabee on November 05, 2004, 06:42:08 pm
-
In Hawaii, we have these brand-new, really clean A & Ws that are sort of connected to Long John Silvers.
I like rootbeer floats.
I want my ashes sculpted into the shape of a hand giving the finger and then embedded into a clear bowling ball.
i seem to have a vague notion of the "split franchise" buildings, but perhaps it was different chains.
i have fond memories of the A & W drive-ins of my youth. Herebouts we have "Sonic" which is sort of like A&W sans branded Root Beer; Sonic specializes in burgers and etc as well as shakes and floats and flavored sodas. Sonic, as opposed to A&W, is drive in ONLY and does not have indoor seating (however they do have picnic tables).
Sonic, however, is all bright colors and neon lights, and the A&W of my youth (where are you now, Harlock?) was all subdued earth-tone Brown and not bright Orange.
sigh.
as for your bowling ball monument, :thumbs-up:
-
Yeah, the A and W was all 1970's Padres colors.
Other split franchises I recall are KFC/TacoBell/Pizza Hut (I <think> those were the three) triple stores. We had one near campus at Ohio State.
-
We had KFC/TB/PH in our student union bldg. I think if they wanted one they had to take them all.
-
I'd never even heard of an A&W eatery. And we like to joke around here that Sonic and Checkers don't actually exist, they just like to run commercials for fun. Since nobody's actually seen either place but they have ads on all the time.
KFC/Taco Bell/Pizza Hut are indeed owned but the same company. The delivery trucks usually have all 3 logos as well. The tri-buildings are generally called Fried Taco Huts.
-
I'd never even heard of an A&W eatery. And we like to joke around here that Sonic and Checkers don't actually exist, they just like to run commercials for fun. Since nobody's actually seen either place but they have ads on all the time.
KFC/Taco Bell/Pizza Hut are indeed owned but the same company. The delivery trucks usually have all 3 logos as well. The tri-buildings are generally called Fried Taco Huts.
Ontario, at least, if not all of Canada, has a profusion of A&Ws, but I've never heard of Sonic or Checkers. They sound very... dynamic. And good lord, those last three are really an axis of pure disgusting. I'm not at all surprised that they are affiliated. Jesus.
-
i know not of "checkers" but there is a checkers (or is it chequers?) in town which is a local bar/club which is merely anecdotal information. incidentally, if you would like to start a fight might i suggest going there, as it seems to be a convenient place to do such.
dynamic? i do not know. young (pre-age of vote or alcohol purchase) females have a tendency to get jobs at Sonic, and are 99.9% more likely than any other demographic i know of (the 0.1% being professional rollerderby people) to work in rollerskates.
i have yet to see a Sonic Server place the tray upon the edge of someone's mostly rolled down car window and cause the car to flip over onto it's side, but everytime i drive by a Sonic i keep a keen eye out for the event while avoiding traffic dangers and low flying pterodactyls.
-
I'd never even heard of an A&W eatery. And we like to joke around here that Sonic and Checkers don't actually exist, they just like to run commercials for fun. Since nobody's actually seen either place but they have ads on all the time.
This is true in the Philly market as well - no Sonics or Checkers (although I did spot a Checkers in South Jersey once, and tried it, and it was okay but nothing special). I have never yet seen a Sonic although they advertise all over the place.
Ditto Long Dong Silver's. No such fast food places around here.
KFC/Taco Bell/Pizza Hut are indeed owned but the same company. The delivery trucks usually have all 3 logos as well. The tri-buildings are generally called Fried Taco Huts.
Yeah, Pepsi owned all three for a time and then the FTC made them split off so they formed Tricom to represent the KFC/TB/PH franchises.
There are still mostly individual places for all three, although there are a few combined stores in some areas.
-
I'd never even heard of an A&W eatery. And we like to joke around here that Sonic and Checkers don't actually exist, they just like to run commercials for fun. Since nobody's actually seen either place but they have ads on all the time.
In Anchorage they advertised Red Lobster for every bit of 15 years before they got one.
-
Yeah, Pepsi owned all three for a time and then the FTC made them split off so they formed Tricom to represent the KFC/TB/PH franchises.
We did a case study on this in B-school. The strategic rationale behind Pepsi's purchase of fast food chains was strictly to have captive outlets to sell Pepsi. That worked out REAL well.
-
Yeah, Pepsi owned all three for a time and then the FTC made them split off so they formed Tricom to represent the KFC/TB/PH franchises.
We did a case study on this in B-school. The strategic rationale behind Pepsi's purchase of fast food chains was strictly to have captive outlets to sell Pepsi. That worked out REAL well.
The funny thing is that I prefer Pepsi and will sometimes get my food at one place and my drink from another (such as at the mall) just to get some Dew.
I did a marketing survery a couple weeks ago for LJS. When they got to the question "why haven't you eaten at one in the past x months?" the 1st option was "none in my area." So I guess their extinction is pretty widespread. They are convenient during Lent, though.
-
The thing about LJS is, if I go to one (I don't think we have any here) I invariably get the chicken planks.
But I LOVES me some Arthur Treacher's, so go figure. Are there any of those left?
-
The thing about LJS is, if I go to one (I don't think we have any here) I invariably get the chicken planks.
me too. i love "fried crunchies" as well. and their hush puppies, while not real nor authentic, are cretainly yummy.
-
I will agree with AD that the chicken at LJS's, at least in my experience, is sublime. The giraffe has always been enh, but I heart me some Long John's chicken.
-
Yum! Brands, Incorporated (http://www.yum.com/) owns all of Taco Bell, KFC, Pizza Hut, Long John Silver's, and A & W. My cousin has an A & W franchise in one of the gas stations she and her husband own in Ohio, so it's nice to visit them. It's still all 1970's Padres-style, plus some chrome and checkerboard tile floor.
I'm just waiting for the Fried Taco giraffe Burger Huts to hit.
-
Hey, I'm from Ohio. Where in Ohio?
-
Dude! You know I'm from Dayton. We talked about this.
She's in Eaton, east of Dayton.
-
I've never been to Eaton. I do remember that you are from Dayton, though.
-
Frankfort has an A&W/LJS combo just down the street from a Sonic. No Checkers, though. Anybody else have Rally's? Also, Captain D's giraffe is much better than LJS.
My grandparents used to live in Vandalia, and I have an aunt that lives in Dayton now.
-
I've never even heard of Checkers. Man.
This does make me miss Sonic something awful, though. Also the Cotton Patch, although I think that's strictly a Louisiana phenomenon.
-
I used to get Rally's in Cleveland. I've seen Checker's but I've never had any. For my money, if I'm gonna waste money on Beef and Bun products, White Castle is the place to go.
Anyone here a fan of Krystal? I've never eaten there when I was completely sober and I've only seen them in Louisiana.
-
Why no love for Five Guys?
-
I enjoyed the one Krystal experience I've had, but it struck me as basically just White Castle south of the Mason-Dixon. Not that that's a bad thing, mind you...
-
Krystal is prevalent in this here area. As a transplant, it always struck me as a White Castle analog, which is rather odd since i'd never lived anywhere White Castle had shops. Howerver, i suppose my father's wistful recountings of getting sacks of White Castle (where if you asked for no onions, the gentleman would obloging wipe the onions off with the edge of his hand, careful not to drop ashes from his cigar as he grinned at you), jumping onto the streetcar and heading to the "talkies" all for a nickel in the youth of his St. Paul. I think the "talkies" were a bit of a stretch, much like the 5 mile, uphill struggle through snow and grizzly to an educational facility manned by militant nuns hellbent upon causing permanent joint failure in the hands of the entirety of Minnesotan youth through swift justice applied by wooden rulers.
They tore down the Krystal and are building a walgreens.
The only white castle i can disctinctly recall eating at was in Louisville, and while the "hamburgers"' mere odor turned my stomach, i remember being distinctly taken by the tiny little chicken sandwiches made of chicken patties in an "o" shape. "oh, it's a chicken patty!"
I have never heard of "Five guys", i have heard of Rally's but do not recall seeing one; although it is possible i saw one in Cincinati but have blocked those thoughts from surfacing along with other Cincinati memories.
Cotton Patch? while i will readily admit to having been in The South only 10 years or so, i can not imagine i would want to eat in a Cotton Patch.
-
http://www.fiveguys.com/images/Articls.html
-
Dawg : I just love to find places in conversation where Achewood quotes fit.
"Dude, you know I can't remember where they are from year to year! We talked about this!" - Ray, to Cornelius, on Survivor. CJ, help me out here?
Checker's is to Rally's what Krystal is to White Castle. Krystal's are all over Atlanta, man, and the next time you come to town you should go to Krystal-- but only at like three a.m. after an assload of drinks.
Never heard of Five Guys, but this is a review from that site:
FIVE GUYS:
"Grease city" it may be, but "there are no better" burgers than the ones prepared at this "beyond-basics" Northern Virginia chain where the "big, sloppy" patties come "dripping with toppings" (don't forget the "awesome" made-from-scratch fries); it's a "total dive" and you should "feel lucky if you find a place to sit", but "what a treat when all you want is a great" meal on a bun; P.S. it's such a "bargain" that it was voted No. 1 Bang for the Buck in the Washington area.
Are those quotes from people and marketing material or are they trying to infuse their review with dripping sarcasm? You make the call.
-
http://www.fiveguys.com/images/Articls.html
oh. i'm not sure they count.
-
"Dude, you know I can't remember where they are from year to year! We talked about this!" - Ray, to Cornelius, on Survivor. CJ, help me out here?
We TALKED about this! (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05122003)
And yeah, I hate the 600 mini-quote system that Zagat's uses. But they are really excellent greasy burgers. My favorite is the Post review "These guys are the Willy Wonkas of burgercraft. Some say the fries at this super casual joint are the very best around. Cheap, cheap cheap. Five Guys was voted 'Best Burgers' in washingtonpost.com's Best Bets 2004 Readers' Choice contest."
-
Before today I did not know that there were A&W restaurants. Do they only serve rootbeer?
Also, my two favourite fast food joints are Roy Rogers (Fixin's Bar represent, yo) and In 'N' Out Burger, but alas there aren't any of either around these parts anymore (or ever).
I have also heard good things about Steak 'N' Shake but I have never eaten there.
-
Thanks, Cort!
A&W is a burger joint, it's just that they're branded by the root beer, which I believe used to only be sold at the eateries (all were drive-ups w/ roller-waitresses, many also had indoor seating; now they're mainly in typical fast-food settings and gas stations).
I have yet to get to In & Out, though I'm really looking forward to the opportunity. I missed it when I was in Vegas, but there is so much food in Vegas that you don't have to leave the strip for that I didn't feel like leaving the strip for a burger.
Steak & Shake is A.W.E.S.O.M.E. It's just a burger, joint, see, but it's the best little burgers, and I like the fries better than McDonald's fries back when they had the beef tallow in the grease, you know, when they were at their best? It ain't a fast food joint, though. It's like a Chili's without beer or steaks or anything but sandwiches and chili but oh em gee those fries man
I think my heart's explodin'!
-
the steak and shakes i have been exposed to have all had a semi-50s aura to them, lot's of chrome, waitstaff in black p.a.n.t.s. and white long-sleeved shirts. sort of a diner revival. the burgers are supposedly "angus" yet are incredibly __thin__. the fries are __skinny__ and impossible for me to eat in any way for me except to grab a handful and try to make one think fry out of. they are also known for "exceptional" chili, but not in a cincinatti-chili way, but in a beef and beans way. supposedly the chili is just hormel, but they aren't telling. they are also known for their shakes, but since milk generally causes me to throw up since "the incident", i do not know whether they are of any count or not.
-
We have Burgerville. They're supposedly well known for their sweet onion rings, but they only sell 'em for one month a year. I went in about a week after it was over, so I didn't get to try them. Screw you, Burgerville.
-
Every time I've gone to a Steak and Shake it's been terrible. Expensive, looong wait times, crappy service, and nasty food.
I remember that Donny really wanted to go to the In and Out burger near Larry Sellers' house! There must not be any in Kansas.
-
I've only been to Steak & Shake a few times, but I've always enjoyed the experience quite thoroughly -- I prefer thin fries to huge honkin' thick ones (all necessary to eat with a fork, all filled with undercooked potato inside), and the burgers have always been quite high-quality.
Man, this thread is like torture given that I go to college in a town with one Subway and nothing else. Damn you, Billsville City Council! DAAAAMN YOUUUUU
-
I know of two Arthur Treacher's restaurants in Ohio. One is in Lancaster, Ohio, on Route 33 between Columbus and Athens.
The other one is in Cuyahoga Falls on State Road near Broad Boulevard.
-
You know, now I'm trying to remember - I was in Athens, GA drunk beyond comprehension, there was a strip club involved and I'm pretty sure I ate something from Krystal. I don't know if the club was in Athens or not.
There were naked women there, though.
-
The only white castle i can disctinctly recall eating at was in Louisville, and while the "hamburgers"' mere odor turned my stomach, i remember being distinctly taken by the tiny little chicken sandwiches made of chicken patties in an "o" shape. "oh, it's a chicken patty!"
One morning, on the way to school, I realized I hadn't had breakfast and didn't have a lunch. So I stopped by a White Castles, snagged a sack of 10, ate them slowly throughout the day, and then shat my entire intestinal system.
Of course, nothing can EVER compare to Steak & Shake. Oh, S&S, you seem so far away....
-
OK, I have a LOT of trouble comprehending this idea of "sacks" of many hamburgers. Are they really that small, and that cheap?
I just got back from the supermarket, and man, I am freaked out by the stuff people eat. Not that I think they don't think the same thing about me.
-
OK, I have a LOT of trouble comprehending this idea of "sacks" of many hamburgers. Are they really that small, and that cheap?
Yes and yes. You can pick up a bag of these things for about what a "real" hamburger would cost, and four or five of them is the equivalent of one real burger. It's fairly easy to eat five or six at a sitting if you're thoroughly hungry and desperate.
-
We didn't have White Castle in AK, but they are iconic in popular culture, so when I visited Long Island one time, I made a special trip to try their "burgers". Fairly violent illness ensued.
-
I know of two Arthur Treacher's restaurants in Ohio. One is in Lancaster, Ohio, on Route 33 between Columbus and Athens.
The other one is in Cuyahoga Falls on State Road near Broad Boulevard.
There's also one on Pleasant Valley Rd and one on W 130th, both in Parma. But I live 4,000 miles away from there now.
And now I have to ask, are you from the Akron Area? 'Cause there aren't many exuceses for knowing stuff about Cuyahoga Falls....
-
Count me in the anti-Steak and Shake brigade. The thin fries are good, everything else is mediocre at best. The service is inevitably lousy. Once I went in one, sat down and waited. Noone spoke to me for 15 minutes. At that point I left. Also, the burgers are pretty meh in my book. Nothing you couldn't get at say a Frisch's or Shoney's.
Re: In and Out. I have already spoken to this topic, and lord knows I hate to repeat myself. It's the second post here (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?t=615&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=50).
In order not to be entirely negative, I do enjoy the occasional slider. There are times when nothing but Whitey's will do. I even eat them when I'm not drunk. For a while it was our family tradition to stop at Whitey's on our way out of town each time we went to visit the in-laws in St Louis. Their latest offering is a cheeseburger with pepperjack cheese. It's good, but I'm pretty much a Whitey's purist. Plain hamburgers with some of the brown mustard. Tasty man, tasty.
Finally, a quiz question: What does Dick Naugle say?
-
Shoney's? I thought those were all out of business. The ones around here have all turned into Red, Hot, & Blue or somesuch. Ditto for Big Boy.
-
Big Boys are owned regionally. We had Bob's Big Boys around here until they all went out of business, but then when I was in VA I saw a John's Big Boy.
I believe all of the Big Boys and Roy Rogers in the midlantic states have all resided in rest stops between Philly and Boston.
-
Count me in the anti-Steak and Shake brigade. Once I went in one, sat down and waited. Noone spoke to me for 15 minutes. At that point I left.
Was the "Please Wait to be Seated" sign showing? If so, that's why. Operate under house rules, man, always.
Finally, a quiz question: What does Dick Naugle say?
Prepare Food Fresh. Serve Customers Fast. Keep Place Clean.
Who's Dick Naugle? (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=%22dick+naugle%22&btnG=Search)
-
Wow - They built this brand new Steak and Shake in Evanston, IL right near the Home Depot and we ate there a lot - it was pretty good. The service was hit or miss; I think that was a function of the newness of the place combined with the tight labor market there, not a lot of experience. We got breakfast there at least once or twice a month. We had a good experience at one outside Cleveland, too.
I still LOVE Big Boy and there's even one here on Oahu. Nothing like a Brawny Lad to get the girls flocking to you. YUM!
It's a strange phenomenon, but sometimes the food doesn't have to be that good to be good....I think there is an expectation based on the place, and when that expectation is met with either sincerity or enthusiasm, it gets credibility that offsets the quality.
This is the only reason Waffle Houses still exist.
-
Yeah, I copy on Waffle House. The food isn't anything to write home about, but the atmosphere is sometimes just what the doctor ordered.
As for Shoney's -- I know there's one near my folks' house, but I'm not well-acquainted with the national trend. Maybe it's changed by now.
That does remind me, though: has anyone else heard of "Village Inn," a sort of Shoney's/Perkins/Denny's-alike? Or are these only a Lincoln, NE phenomenon?
-
i hadn't expected to be online this weekend, but 1- laaaate start yesterday and 2- "complimentary high speed internet access and remote printing". my father's sage advice of "look out for all the trucks on 40, they are horrible" turned out to actually be sage.
that having been said, i must say that this may be my mostest favoritest thread of all time, since shooting the shit about eateries is easliy my best quality. fuck the weather, how's the ac at perkins? did they fix the draft in the back booth yet?
and lo, now where to start? Shoney's. The older i get the more i consciously acknowledge the subconscious patterns put into my brain from childhood. Shoney's evokes images of Northern Virginia and my mother getting CUNT pie and being happy. That being said, i was never a strong advocate of Shoney's, because i am Pro-Hashbrown, and they are fervent supporters of Breakfast Potatoes; and while i can certainly see the rationality behind favoring the use of Breakfast Potatoes in a Food Bar environment, nothing can curtail my delight in correctly cooked golden brown crispy yet unburnt hasbrowns. I have, at times, considered writing a Decalogy on How to Short Order Cook Hashbrowns For Minimum Wage Slaves and Why It Can Make Your Painful Life Better Through Pursuits of Perfection.
But i digress. There had been a Shoney's in town, but it went out of business (common thread). It has been replaced with a BackYard Burger (local conspiracy theories abound regarding what is happening in the extra space in the building.) which had replaced a Corky's (world's worst bbq).
I am under the impression that Shoney's is a dying beast. which, while i do not approve of their Breakfast Potatoes, i certainly endorse the concept of an all you can eat breakfast buffet.
and now to come full circle: driving around last night, aimlessly, around the "airport district" of Nashville, the world's most beautiful woman and i happened upon the apparent corporate headquarters (or one of them) of BOTH Shoney's _and_ Captain D's.
Having now typed more content than my father's dissertation, i realize that it wasn't really _that_ exciting.
Waffle House.
I suppose i sort of put eateries into three categories, oft defined by the reaction of my lady:
Comfortable atmosphere for me.
Are you really going to wear that?
There is no possible way that you are going to wear that.
Thus:
Waffle House
Ruby Tuesday's
Mssr. FancyPant's Rue Oui Eiffel Detente
My feelings for Waffle House have been documented sufficiently elsewhere, but let me once again give the chain my hearty :thumbsup:
Village Inn. i vaguely think Village Inn may be in northern wisonsin as well. however, the memory is foggy, as it was the "going back to visit the long distance girlfriend from highschool after going to the UK for the summer and not really sure what the hell is going on with any aspect of life" type of thing. I think it was called Village Inn, but you know how sometimes there are chains with a name and onesy mom & pop's with the same name (also the whole Huddle House phenomenon).
Saw a sign for "The Cotton Patch" on I40 going to nashville last night, however the signage on the interstate seemed too non-corporate such that i would think that it was a "onesy" occurence of an eatery with that name, rather than a link in the chain of The Cotton Patch Corporate shackles.
(urrrmmmmm. i love the teeny-tiny little coffee makers in hotel rooms, but perhaps hindsight is telling me (in a loud, shrill voice) that maybe the reason that there are two teeny-tiny coffee filters of coffee, and two bottles of bottled water in the teeny-tiny fridge, is to offer an alternative to using sink water. and one (as my hindsight is surely conjecturing) might conjecture that an alternative is offered because the default might not be such a good idea....)
Big Boy. i love/loved that chain. Whose Big Boy was it? wasn't it possessed of a Proper Noun? i would surmise that Friendly's sort of stole the Big Boy model sans gigantor mascot.
erg. having reread the thread, Jough promptly answered my question prior to me asking. Bob's, indeed. John's is very disconcerting.
Red, Hot and Blue as a replacement for Shoney's? I was under the impression that Red, Hot and Blue was the series of "mix cd compilations" advocating safe sex and homosexual tolerance prevelant in the 90s.
To revisit Steak and Shake: I love onion rings. Deep fried is always enjoyed, and a good Batter is always welcome. Onions are delicious, and the mix of a Nice Sweet Onion covered in Crunchy Deep Fried Batter Goodness with salt and ketchup is a veritable taste EXPLOSION! of Happy Goodness. Steak and Shake has very good onion rings. However, the older i get the more i find that my ability to emulate the eating habits of Goats forsakes me. The Steak and Shake of which i write is a good 45 minute drive from my normal abode. Any review of Steak and Shake from me should always be temperred by the acknowledgement of any Pain, Cramping and Terror that might affect my Objectivity. The onion rings are damn good, though.
I would heartily endorse trying White Castle or Krystal for the first time in a "safe environment".
Andalucia- memory tells me that white castle sliders are about 2 inches square. i could be wrong.
-
When we were in the process of looking for a house/moving to NoVa there were indeed Shoney's everywhere. In some areas there were more Shoney's than McDonald's. Seeing as I completely hate breakfast foods I liked Shoney's because they served lunch anytime. So while my parents were hitting the breakfast bar I had a kid's speghetti.
It was Bob's Big Boy. I can only hope that Bob wasn't a creepy uncle or something.
The former Shoney's all turned into different things. One became a Kentucky Bell, another Ruby Tuesday, but a couple became Red, Hot, & Blues. Which is a BBQ chain based out of Arlington. Supposedly there were some legal issues between them and Stickyfingers with one claiming the other stole their sauce.
Recently my parent's town got an outlet mall and by they opened a Bob Evan's restaurant. I had never heard of anything like this. What's a sausage guy doing with a whole restaurant? Is it going to turn into an Outback/Lone Star situation where Jimmy Dean will start his own restaurant and open it across the street?
-
It was Bob's Big Boy. I can only hope that Bob wasn't a creepy uncle or something.
We had Bob's Big Boy in Alaska when I was a little kid, complete with giant fiberglass mascot. I remember eating there when I was like five.
Supposedly there were some legal issues between them (R, H, & B) and Stickyfingers with one claiming the other stole their sauce.
What did they expect, from a business named Stickyfingers? I don't think they have any basis for a challenge when it's been made so clear that you can't trust them. The legal precedent, of course, is millions of kids saying "I'm going to swing my arms, and if you get hit it's your fault."
-
God, since moving to New York, I've been basically weaned off of fast food, simply because what seemed delicious in Kentucky, in a relatively clean Burger King franchise, seems horrible when you're sitting in a room filled with homeless men. There have been some other problems; a few weeks ago, in order to get the Hello Kitty toy, I bought a McDonalds Happy Meal. This was a horrible idea, as it turns out; apparently, if you don't eat McDonalds for about a year or so, your body forgets that it's supposed to be food and not some horrible alien parasite. However, I've never actually had that problem with the Grilled Stuffed Burrito at Taco Bell.
RE: In and Out Burger. I've never actually had an I&O, but there's a little place here called Blue 9 Burger that I'm in love with; the menu consists of 3 different permutations of burger, bread and cheese, french fries, shakes, coffee and fountain drinks. That's all. And apparently they're a pretty good approximation of I&O.
The few times I had Whattaburger, they were pretty tasty.
But for me, the holy grail of fast food foodstuffs is the Chicken Burrito, black beans, medium salsa, at Qdoba Mexican Grill. God, I used to eat one every other day junior year of high school. I've found an alright replacement at Chipotle, but damn...I long constantly for that burrito. How come the best restaurants never made it to New York?
-
There's an Arthur Treacher's here in Fairfax, VA.
Five Guys is frikkin' awesome. They just opened one right up the road in Chantilly. Yaaaaaaaaaaaay!
-
Five Guys is frikkin' awesome. They just opened one right up the road in Chantilly. Yaaaaaaaaaaaay!
Thank you!
-
But for me, the holy grail of fast food foodstuffs is the Chicken Burrito, black beans, medium salsa, at Qdoba Mexican Grill. God, I used to eat one every other day junior year of high school. I've found an alright replacement at Chipotle, but damn...I long constantly for that burrito. How come the best restaurants never made it to New York?
Oh yeah baby yeah on the Qdoba! Loved it for a long time and was exspecially psych-ed when Frankfort got one. Grilled veggie burrito (what other fast-food place has grilled eggplant on the menu?) or seasoned beef burrito. Man! And the habenero salsa simply rocks. It just rocks, I'm telling you! I'm going for lunch tomorrow, I've decided. Even though it is all the way across town.
Did you know that Qdoba is owned by the Grisantis?
Also, driving by fast-food headquarters is no big whoop for us Louisvillians. KFC has been headquartered here since God was a boy. Now YUM (i.e. KFC, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, LJS, A&W) and Papa John's Pizza are both here. The mostly defunct Rally's, too. Fazoli's is headquartered in Lexington as was LJS until Pepsico (now YUM) bought them.
-
That does remind me, though: has anyone else heard of "Village Inn," a sort of Shoney's/Perkins/Denny's-alike? Or are these only a Lincoln, NE phenomenon?
I didn't know that Village Inn went that far east, but yeah, I know them. They were definitely preferred above Denny's for general hanging-out in my HS-college years (I've wasted many a day in the VI in downtown Salt Lake, near the University of Utah). They were no match for local chains like Dee's Family Restaurant (RIP) though.
I'd never so much as heard of Waffle House before I move out here to MO. I've yet to actually go to the one in town, and the "grits with everything" philosophy seems odd to me. But the hashbrowns smothered with everything look pretty damn good.
-
When I was going to school in Houston, there was a Checkers in an area I frequented, so I can make a report on the food. The burgers were about Sonic like in quality, which I consider a good thing. The best thing about Checkers was they sold these Apple Nuggets, which were like the old deep fried McDonalds Apple Pies, but in nugget form, the shape of apple wedges. Those alone made the trips to Checkers worth it.
Then the Checkers dropped that from their menu, and went out of business within in the year. Here in Kansas City I've seen the shells of two out of business Checkers as well, as well as a few White Castle husks. All make me sad when I drive by.
-
The best thing about Checkers was they sold these Apple Nuggets, which were like the old deep fried McDonalds Apple Pies, but in nugget form, the shape of apple wedges. Those alone made the trips to Checkers worth it.
That does sound vaguely awesome. One of my American friends tells me that the McDonalds healthy menu doesn't exist, or is different in America, but when I once in Ontario accompanied a friend who wanted cheap ice cream to McDonalds, I ended up buying a small packet of apple slices with accompanying caramel dip, and I thought that was rather fucked up but quite delicious.
-
I know of two Arthur Treacher's restaurants in Ohio. One is in Lancaster, Ohio, on Route 33 between Columbus and Athens.
The other one is in Cuyahoga Falls on State Road near Broad Boulevard.
There's also one on Pleasant Valley Rd and one on W 130th, both in Parma. But I live 4,000 miles away from there now.
And now I have to ask, are you from the Akron Area? 'Cause there aren't many exuceses for knowing stuff about Cuyahoga Falls....
I did grow up in Cuyahoga Falls. That's my excuse.
-
No shit. My dad's office was right on the corner of Grant and State across from Rick Case and that HUGE American Flag. That thing sounded like a thunderstorm whenever they flew it. He sold it years ago, I don't know what it is now.
I went to Revere. 20 years ago...
-
Ruby Tuesday's has the best French Fries i've ever had.
their chicken sandwich is pretty good, as well.
but the fries are amazing.
The "chicken crips" at Chili's are too die for.
um, that is all.