The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: andalucia on November 08, 2004, 12:56:02 pm

Title: Nov. 8/04: small hound perches
Post by: andalucia on November 08, 2004, 12:56:02 pm
Hijinks, no doubt, to ensue.
Title: Nov. 8/04: small hound perches
Post by: Steve Hogan on November 08, 2004, 01:08:07 pm
Working comedy with an Aibo is risky business.  Just check out the segment in the Kids in the Hall tour documentary SAME GUYS, DIFFERENT DRESSES where Scott Thompson tries to use one in his Buddy Cole routine.  IT DOES NOT GO WELL. (It does seem like the sort of thing Ray would bring over though)

Are people still buying those?  I thought Robosapien™ was the android homunculus of choice these days.

(http://www.fingersystemeurope.com/assets/images/robo3.jpg)
Title: Nov. 8/04: small hound perches
Post by: AugustWest on November 08, 2004, 01:59:26 pm
Anybody else appreciate the fact that the AIBO is reading Beef Great Expectations?  Now that'll cheer him right up!  What's next, Beef won't leave his house and never changes out of the clothes he was wearing when Molly left him?
Title: Nov. 8/04: small hound perches
Post by: V-Adore on November 08, 2004, 03:16:11 pm
The very concept of Roast Beef Havisham fills me greatly with the sadness. It is a sad thing. Yes.

That said, the alt-text/title/whatsis is poetry.
Title: Nov. 8/04: small hound perches
Post by: CortJstr on November 08, 2004, 04:09:50 pm
Ray has monogrammed bags for his Aibo's. Wow. Just wow.
Title: Nov. 8/04: small hound perches
Post by: slink on November 08, 2004, 05:38:38 pm
All of the above...
And, I like the way it's vaguely ambiguous as to whether Ray actually thinks he must have someone to look after his Aibo, instead of just switching it off.
Title: Nov. 8/04: small hound perches
Post by: pierced lemur on November 08, 2004, 06:26:54 pm
So what's with "What it is"?
I remember having seen it in the past somewhere, and I sometimes use it as a greeting myself. People become confused.

Is Weldon humping beef in the last panel?
Title: Nov. 8/04: small hound perches
Post by: ndpatel on November 08, 2004, 10:40:11 pm
beef must be all kinds of awkward to be around if it's at ex-girlfriend-in-the-supermarket level.

i mean, ray says he's got to leave twice and then says "call me."

i used to love you but i don't any longer
Title: Nov. 8/04: small hound perches
Post by: jough on November 08, 2004, 10:52:31 pm
I haven't been keeping up with the blogs, so did I miss that Molly and Beef broke up?

I know she got her own place and they're giving each other "space" and all, but to be calling her an ex and all... I must've missed that.
Title: Nov. 8/04: small hound perches
Post by: ndpatel on November 08, 2004, 11:12:16 pm
no, they didn't break up.

i just meant that ray's interaction with beef brought back many unpleasant memories of seeing ex-girlfriends in public places. interactions, in fact, where one party or the other said, "i've heard you've not been so well" and then proffered some sad-sack-cheer-up advice that was not drinking heavily and having break-up sex.

whoa. rambling.

seriously, if ray just thinks beef needs companionship, why doesn't he just invite him over to the house? the aibo's are there, si? it's just weird. and then he bails, hard. just. weird.
Title: Nov. 8/04: small hound perches
Post by: V-Adore on November 09, 2004, 12:00:55 am
I agree that Ray is being kind of sketchy -- it seems dense, even for Ray, to just throw an Aibo at Beef and then leave. Then again, Ray's sort of Achilles heel is his willingness to throw money at problems but lack of willingness (or perhaps lack of capacity) to actually give of his own time and emotional energy. His neglect of Beef is legendary.

I do hope Molly and Beef are still seeing each other ever so often, though. I'm badly hoping things work out for them.
Title: Nov. 8/04: small hound perches
Post by: Nabubrush on November 09, 2004, 12:10:39 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I'm badly hoping things work out for them.

At least you aren't hoping things work out badly for them. Although conflict = drama, or something like that.
Title: Nov. 8/04: small hound perches
Post by: CortJstr on November 09, 2004, 12:22:27 am
Quote from: "jough"
I haven't been keeping up with the blogs, so did I miss that Molly and Beef broke up?

I know she got her own place and they're giving each other "space" and all, but to be calling her an ex and all... I must've missed that.

No it's just Beef being Beef. I mean this is a guy that buried a perfectly good shirt because of his own insanity.
Title: Nov. 8/04: small hound perches
Post by: miles on November 09, 2004, 01:42:39 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Anybody else appreciate the fact that the AIBO is reading Beef Great Expectations?  Now that'll cheer him right up!  What's next, Beef won't leave his house and never changes out of the clothes he was wearing when Molly left him?


Is that Great Expectations?  I hate Dickens.  But I love achewood.  

At first I thought Ray was being such a sweet guy, all concerned for Beef's emotional well being.  He was acting pretty funny though.  He wouldn't bone Molly, would he?  Bone bone bone bone?
Title: Nov. 8/04: small hound perches
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 09, 2004, 02:04:04 am
I think Wuthering Heights would have been a good choice as well.
Title: Nov. 8/04: small hound perches
Post by: CortJstr on November 09, 2004, 02:12:44 am
Considering Beef's mood I thought he'd go for Kafka.
Title: Nov. 8/04: small hound perches
Post by: evan on November 09, 2004, 05:32:14 am
Wow, I TOTALLY misunderstood that joke.
Title: Nov. 8/04: small hound perches
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 09, 2004, 05:36:23 am
What joke? I can totally see Kafka in general for Beef.
Title: Nov. 8/04: small hound perches
Post by: AugustWest on November 09, 2004, 05:49:52 am
I used to have a T-shirt with Kafka's face on it.
Title: Nov. 8/04: small hound perches
Post by: yahnai on November 09, 2004, 05:59:53 am
Quote from: "pierced lemur"
So what's with "What it is"?


I think shouting "what it is" is a California thing.  My friends and I used to greet each other with the salutation "what it is, dog" frequently.  Phone call.  "What it is?"  Buzzer into the apartment.  "What it is!"  At the bar. "What it is" accompanied by hand slap/grip combo.

If I may echo the usual bleating of a few of you sycophants, but I find the humor in this strip to be quite refreshing.   Shines through.  I love this stuff.  Starts with "what it is" and ends with ol' depresso having a freaking Aibo reading him Dickens.   I mean, come on.   There's awesome in this strip.
Title: Nov. 8/04: small hound perches
Post by: CortJstr on November 09, 2004, 06:04:54 am
"What it is" is more of a 70's black sitcom/blacksploitation thing. Often accompanied by its good friend, "jive turkey."
Title: Nov. 8/04: small hound perches
Post by: yahnai on November 09, 2004, 06:13:27 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
"What it is" is more of a 70's black sitcom/blacksploitation thing. Often accompanied by its good friend, "jive turkey."


Yo' ass know, yo' ass might be right.  'S coo', bro.
Title: Nov. 8/04: small hound perches
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 09, 2004, 06:42:39 am
The full greeting was "What is is!" followed by the response "What is was!"
and then the 4 part handshake accompanied by a unison "And what is SHALL BE, brother"!

Picture John Kerry sharing this greeting with Barack Obama in the vein of that odd exchange the two shared during the campaign...kind of a funny and pathetic picture.
Title: Nov. 8/04: small hound perches
Post by: pierced lemur on November 09, 2004, 02:01:39 pm
I seem t' dig now. I dun did not realize dat Ray wuz African American. I 24/7
thought he wuz American Curl.



http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~eclectic/toys/jive.html
Title: Nov. 8/04: small hound perches
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 09, 2004, 03:00:59 pm
I picked up "What it is" from the movie "Hollywood Shuffle."  "What it is, bro.  I ain't afraid a' you.  What is up with you and your cool vibes."
Title: Nov. 8/04: small hound perches
Post by: Steve Hogan on November 09, 2004, 04:03:58 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Considering Beef's mood I thought he'd go for Kafka.


He's saving it for when he wakes up as a giant Japanese ***** cockroach.
Title: Nov. 8/04: small hound perches
Post by: Steve Hogan on November 09, 2004, 04:05:11 pm
You can't say R-O-B-O-T?  Who set up this board, R Stevens?
Title: Nov. 8/04: small hound perches
Post by: Nabubrush on November 09, 2004, 04:23:49 pm
You can say robot, though.
Title: Nov. 8/04: small hound perches
Post by: Bozack on November 09, 2004, 04:31:15 pm
Quote from: "Steve Hogan"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Considering Beef's mood I thought he'd go for Kafka.


He's saving it for when he wakes up as a giant Japanese ##### cockroach.


Quote from: "Dr. Venture"
What you are about to see is a nightmare, inexplicably RIPPED from the pages of KAFKA!
Title: Nov. 8/04: small hound perches
Post by: slink on November 09, 2004, 04:34:26 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
You can say robot, though.


I find it easier just to say robut like Dr. Zoidberg. Sounds better too.
Title: Nov. 8/04: small hound perches
Post by: Nabubrush on November 09, 2004, 04:58:43 pm
I really like Futurama, but Zoidberg disturbs me, even moreso than seeing the Professor naked.
Title: Nov. 8/04: small hound perches
Post by: jough on November 09, 2004, 07:17:38 pm
I always just imagine that Ray is a black man.
Title: Nov. 8/04: small hound perches
Post by: Nabubrush on November 09, 2004, 07:23:42 pm
I just imagine that Ray is a black lab. They are dogs, right?
Title: Nov. 8/04: small hound perches
Post by: CortJstr on November 09, 2004, 10:07:38 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I just imagine that Ray is a black lab. They are dogs, right?

Do not be callink Ray dog. Is SO newbie.
Title: Nov. 8/04: small hound perches
Post by: Nabubrush on November 09, 2004, 10:27:26 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I just imagine that Ray is a black lab. They are dogs, right?

Do not be callink Ray dog. Is SO newbie.

But . . . but . . . cats don't wear sunglasses, thongs, and medallions.
Title: Nov. 8/04: small hound perches
Post by: Formica on November 09, 2004, 11:36:10 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Do not be callink Ray dog. Is SO newbie.

owned
Title: Nov. 8/04: small hound perches
Post by: Nabubrush on November 09, 2004, 11:47:29 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I just imagine that Ray is a black lab. They are dogs, right?

Do not be callink Ray dog. Is SO newbie.

I just missed that, is all. It's so serious around here all of a sudden.