The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: AugustWest on November 09, 2004, 09:01:49 pm

Title: Religion
Post by: AugustWest on November 09, 2004, 09:01:49 pm
Since we're determined to discuss controversial topics this week and we've already covered politics and abortion, I figured why not hit religion too?

The Belief-o-Matic (http://www.selectsmart.com/PRO/beliefnet/index1.html) is a fairly old internet meme, but an interesting one, I think.  Share your results, if you're willing.
Title: Religion
Post by: AugustWest on November 09, 2004, 09:12:16 pm
Here are my results. (http://www.selectsmart.com/PRO/beliefnet/index1.html?q1=5&im_fact1=3&q2=4&im_fact2=3&q3=5&im_fact3=2&q4=6&im_fact4=2&q5=3&im_fact5=2&q6=2&im_fact6=2&q7_a3=3&q7_a6=6&im_fact7=2&q8=1&im_fact8=2&q9=2&im_fact9=2&q10=2&im_fact10=2&q11=1&im_fact11=2&q12_a2=2&q12_a8=8&im_fact12=2&q13=2&im_fact13=2&q14=2&im_fact14=2&q15=2&im_fact15=2&q16=2&im_fact16=2&q17=1&im_fact17=2&q18=2&im_fact18=2&q19=2&im_fact19=2&q20=1&im_fact20=2&doit=1)


 1.  Unitarian Universalism (100%)  
2.  Liberal Quakers (95%)  
3.  Neo-Pagan (94%)  
4.  Bahá'í Faith (87%)  
5.  New Age (85%)  
6.  Reform Judaism (85%)  
7.  Mahayana Buddhism (79%)  
8.  Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (79%)  
9.  New Thought (77%)  
10.  Sikhism (72%)
Title: Religion
Post by: Gimpson on November 09, 2004, 09:17:40 pm
1.    Unitarian Universalism  (100%)
2.    Theravada Buddhism (95%)
3.    Liberal Quakers (94%)
4.    Secular Humanism (91%)
5.    Taoism (88%)

Are there tenets of Unitarian Universalism that I actually agree with, or does everybody get 100% because whatever you believe is A-OK with them?
Title: Religion
Post by: Nabubrush on November 09, 2004, 09:18:14 pm
1.  Unitarian Universalism (100%)  
2.  Neo-Pagan (95%)  
3.  Liberal Quakers (87%)  
4.  Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (85%)  
5.  Secular Humanism (85%)  

That's probably good enough.
Title: Religion
Post by: Nabubrush on November 09, 2004, 09:18:58 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"
Are there tenets of Unitarian Universalism that I actually agree with, or does everybody get 100% because whatever you believe is A-OK with them?

Good call, I think.
Title: Religion
Post by: wombat on November 09, 2004, 09:23:12 pm
I got 100% Secular Humanist and only 92% UU - so there must be something that you can disagree with a Unitarian on, although I don't know what it could be.
Title: Religion
Post by: Gimpson on November 09, 2004, 09:25:32 pm
On a more serious note, I was raised Catholic, but attended Junior High and High School with very evangelical Baptists and Mormons as my best friends.  Some of the Baptists told me that it would be better for my soul to be an atheist than to be a Catholic, and all hounded me about their particular religions so much that it completely soured me on religion of any kind.  

It's only recently that I've come to realize that not all Christians are zealots like my school-chums.
Title: Religion
Post by: Limmo on November 09, 2004, 09:54:20 pm
1.  Unitarian Universalism (100%)  
2.  Secular Humanism (92%)  
3.  Liberal Quakers (90%)  
4.  Neo-Pagan (89%)  
5.  Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (83%)  
6.  New Age (83%)  
7.  Theravada Buddhism (75%)  
8.  Taoism (71%)  
9.  New Thought (71%)  
10.  Mahayana Buddhism (70%)
Title: Religion
Post by: jough on November 09, 2004, 10:59:44 pm
1.    Theravada Buddhism  (100%)
2.    Unitarian Universalism (90%)
3.    Hinduism (80%)
4.    Secular Humanism (78%)
5.    Liberal Quakers (75%)
6.    Sikhism (75%)
7.    Mahayana Buddhism (73%)
8.    Jainism (71%)
9.    Neo-Pagan (69%)
10.    Nontheist (68%)
11.    Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (66%)
12.    Taoism (64%)
13.    Reform Judaism (60%)
14.    Bahá'í Faith (59%)
15.    Scientology (54%)
16.    New Thought (53%)
17.    Orthodox Judaism (52%)
18.    Islam (50%)
19.    Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (49%)
20.    New Age (49%)
21.    Seventh Day Adventist (49%)
22.    Orthodox Quaker (47%)
23.    Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (46%)
24.    Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (45%)
25.    Eastern Orthodox (44%)
26.    Roman Catholic (44%)
27.    Jehovah's Witness (34%)
Title: Religion
Post by: sjlimmer on November 09, 2004, 11:31:09 pm
1.    Secular Humanism  (100%)
2.    Unitarian Universalism (93%)
3.    Liberal Quakers (76%)
4.    Nontheist (74%)
5.    Theravada Buddhism (71%)
6.    Neo-Pagan (67%)
7.    Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (62%)
8.    New Age (51%)
9.    Taoism (50%)
10.    Reform Judaism (48%)
11.    Mahayana Buddhism (40%)
12.    Orthodox Quaker (40%)
13.    Sikhism (34%)
14.    Scientology (34%)
15.    New Thought (32%)
16.    Bahá'í Faith (29%)
17.    Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (26%)
18.    Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (25%)
19.    Jainism (22%)
20.    Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (20%)
21.    Seventh Day Adventist (18%)
22.    Eastern Orthodox (16%)
23.    Islam (16%)
24.    Orthodox Judaism (16%)
25.    Roman Catholic (16%)
26.    Hinduism (16%)
27.    Jehovah's Witness (8%)

I can't figure out how non-theist came out fourth (I'd have guessed it at 100%), but there it is.  Not surprising that my upbringing is near the bottom of the list...
Title: Religion
Post by: slink on November 09, 2004, 11:35:01 pm
Some of the questions I was not entirely happy with the possible answers, as is always the case with these things, but...

1.    Unitarian Universalism  (100%)
2.    New Age (98%)
3.    Neo-Pagan (97%)
4.    Liberal Quakers (83%)
5.    Mahayana Buddhism (83%)
6.    New Thought (78%)
7.    Scientology (72%)
8.    Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (72%)
9.    Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (71%)
10.    Theravada Buddhism (70%)
11.    Taoism (69%)
12.    Secular Humanism (67%)
13.    Reform Judaism (62%)
14.    Hinduism (58%)
15.    Sikhism (48%)
16.    Nontheist (41%)
17.    Orthodox Quaker (39%)
18.    Bahá'í Faith (36%)
19.    Jainism (35%)
20.    Orthodox Judaism (25%)
21.    Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (24%)
22.    Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (18%)
23.    Seventh Day Adventist (15%)
24.    Eastern Orthodox (13%)
25.    Islam (13%)
26.    Roman Catholic (13%)
27.    Jehovah's Witness (6%)
Title: Religion
Post by: miles on November 10, 2004, 01:54:25 am
Jough, you're more mormon than I am!

Let me also say that I had no idea how to answer half the questions.

1.  Secular Humanism (100%)  
2.  Unitarian Universalism (89%)  
3.  Theravada Buddhism (77%)  
4.  Nontheist (76%)  
5.  Liberal Quakers (75%)  
6.  Neo-Pagan (69%)  
7.  Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (62%)  
8.  Reform Judaism (53%)  
9.  Taoism (52%)  
10.  New Age (50%)  
11.  Orthodox Quaker (46%)  
12.  Sikhism (46%)  
13.  Mahayana Buddhism (41%)  
14.  Scientology (41%)  
15.  Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (38%)  
16.  New Thought (38%)  
17.  Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (34%)  
18.  Seventh Day Adventist (32%)  
19.  Bahá'í Faith (30%)  
20.  Hinduism (30%)  
21.  Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (30%)  
22.  Jainism (28%)  
23.  Eastern Orthodox (27%)  
24.  Islam (27%)  
25.  Orthodox Judaism (27%)  
26.  Roman Catholic (27%)  
27.  Jehovah's Witness (23%)
Title: Religion
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 10, 2004, 02:19:17 am
1.  Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (100%)  
2.  Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (90%)  
3.  Bahá'í Faith (89%)  
4.  Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (86%)  
5.  Orthodox Quaker (84%)  
6.  Eastern Orthodox (73%)  
7.  Roman Catholic (73%)  
8.  Sikhism (72%)  
9.  Orthodox Judaism (71%)  
10.  Liberal Quakers (70%)  
11.  Jehovah's Witness (67%)  
12.  Seventh Day Adventist (66%)  
13.  Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (63%)  
14.  Reform Judaism (62%)  
15.  Islam (56%)  
16.  Unitarian Universalism (54%)  
17.  Neo-Pagan (40%)  
18.  Hinduism (39%)  
19.  Mahayana Buddhism (38%)  
20.  New Thought (37%)  
21.  Theravada Buddhism (37%)  
22.  New Age (36%)  
23.  Jainism (33%)  
24.  Scientology (30%)  
25.  Secular Humanism (29%)  
26.  Taoism (26%)  
27.  Nontheist (21%)  

Not even a little surprising, although I never met a Buddhist I didn't like nor do I have any really serious problems with what they believe and definitely how they live. I imagine this means in my worldview, their belief system is incomplete.

Definitely glad Scientology is low on the list.

So I'm more liberal than conservative as a Christian Protestant? This did pretty much hit the nail on the head for me.
Title: Religion
Post by: andalucia on November 10, 2004, 02:34:47 am
1.    Secular Humanism (100%)
2.    Unitarian Universalism (96%)
3.    Nontheist (84%)
4.    Theravada Buddhism (78%)
5.    Liberal Quakers (73%)

That's my self-classification at number three and my upbringing at number five, so not bad I guess, seeing as I didn't give them much to work with... lots of "not applicable"s
Astoundingly enough, I'd make a terrible Jehovah's Witness.
Title: Religion
Post by: Nabubrush on November 10, 2004, 02:46:49 am
My wife's 100% Neo-Pagan.
Title: Religion
Post by: Bozack on November 10, 2004, 04:34:38 am
1.    Unitarian Universalism (100%)
2.    Liberal Quakers (85%)
3.    Secular Humanism (80%)
4.    Theravada Buddhism (72%)
5.    Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (71%)

When I was growing up, my mom was fundamentalist Christian, while my father was fundamentalist Catholic. This worked about as well as putting cats in bags, and basically gave me an intense need to have religious beliefs, coupled with a vague nausea every time they get discussed (the last time someone had a religious discussion with me, I broke down crying in a coffeeshop; the time before, I had to go to the hospital). So I guess it's not that odd that what I grew up in was wayyyy at the bottom.
Now that I'm doing a lot of studying in Asian art, I'm starting to contemplate becoming a Buddhist. God, how stereotypical am I?
Title: Religion
Post by: Ben-San on November 10, 2004, 05:22:05 am
1.    Reform Judaism (100%)
2.    Liberal Quakers (94%)
3.    Unitarian Universalism (88%)
4.    Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (82%)
5.    Neo-Pagan (80%)


As a Reform Jew who went to a Quaker college, these results don't exactly shock and startle me.
Title: Religion
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 10, 2004, 06:06:06 am
Am I a bad Christian just for being here in the first place?

/kidding.
Title: Religion
Post by: Bozack on November 10, 2004, 06:25:38 am
WHOOOAAAA, apparently this Theravada Buddhism has something about ceasing the craving for sensuality? Looks like I dodged THAT bullet!
I'm going to replace "Theravada Buddhism" on my list with "Hedonist/Nympho."
Title: Religion
Post by: Turbo Ninja on November 10, 2004, 03:09:22 pm
1. UU (100%)
2. Liberal Quakers (99%)
3. Secular Humanism (97%)
4. Taoism (87%)
5. Neo-Paganism (87%)

I am five times more Scientologist (55%) than Roman Catholic (11%), which will disappoint and frighten my Catholic mom.
Title: Religion
Post by: V-Adore on November 10, 2004, 03:22:16 pm
1.    Unitarian Universalism  (100%)
2.    Secular Humanism (96%)
3.    Liberal Quakers (88%)
4.    Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (84%)
5.    Neo-Pagan (76%)
6.    Sikhism (68%)
7.    Theravada Buddhism (67%)
8.    Nontheist (66%)
9.    Reform Judaism (66%)
10.    New Age (59%)

I'm not sure any of this is a surprise, although I've always felt closer to Catholicism than Protestantism. (Then again, I self-identify as a science-focused agnostic -- "isn't the universe beautiful? I don't have a bloody clue whether or not a god is responsible" -- with some deistic tendencies. Who knows?)
Title: Religion
Post by: slink on November 10, 2004, 03:44:48 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Then again, I self-identify as a science-focused agnostic -- "isn't the universe beautiful? I don't have a bloody clue whether or not a god is responsible"


This is essentially my line of thought on things. I feel that if there is a God of some sort, it is in terms of the 'within one and all' thing, and that there is no need to be tied to any way of life to achieve an afterlife, which I believe is just religions way of controlling the masses. But I do feel that, to live a good life one should be morally culpable - treat others as you would want to be treated - just seems like common sense to me!
It's like, surely everyone wants to be happy, so surely we should all help make sure we all are. *sigh*
Title: Religion
Post by: wombat on November 10, 2004, 04:48:52 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
1A: Help people.
1B: Don't be a fuck.
2: Repeat



This is perfect.  And it's so much easier to memorize than the long Catholic prayers of my youth.
Title: Religion
Post by: slink on November 10, 2004, 05:03:26 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
1A: Help people.
1B: Don't be a fuck.
2: Repeat


And for those like I, who would find that hard to remember:

10 Help People
20 Don't be a fuck
30 GOTO 10
Title: Religion
Post by: V-Adore on November 10, 2004, 05:04:50 pm
I also generally agree with "help people, don't be a fuck, repeat." I don't feel a religious imperative to be a good person, but I do feel a personal and moral imperative to do so.
Title: Religion
Post by: Nabubrush on November 10, 2004, 05:07:09 pm
I probably don't do enough on the helping peopleside, but I'm doing pretty well on don't be a fuck.
Title: Religion
Post by: AugustWest on November 10, 2004, 05:59:23 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "Asherdan"
1A: Help people.
1B: Don't be a fuck.
2: Repeat


And for those like I, who would find that hard to remember:

10 Help People
20 Don't be a fuck
30 GOTO 10


Well, that's pretty BASIC.
Title: Religion
Post by: slink on November 10, 2004, 06:26:36 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"

Well, that's pretty BASIC.


Harder to do in a language with no basic GOTO instruction.
You have to start adding variables into your if/while loops accounting for whether you're dead or not yet, and that just causes whole semantic arguments best avoided!
Title: Religion
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 11, 2004, 04:27:25 pm
Hey, 96% for Mahayana Buddhism.  Which, rather conveniently, is what I subscribe to (specifically Zen).
Title: Religion
Post by: Va on November 12, 2004, 03:18:31 pm
1.    Secular Humanism  (100%)
2.    Theravada Buddhism (95%)
3.    Unitarian Universalism (84%)
4.    Nontheist (83%)
5.    Liberal Quakers (75%)
6.    Neo-Pagan (72%)
7.    Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (67%)
8.    Mahayana Buddhism (65%)
9.    New Thought (58%)
10.    New Age (57%)

I don't believe in any gods, and I don't think any exist outside the minds of god-believers.  I believe that everything has a naturalistic explanation that can, in principle, be discovered. I believe all human relations should be voluntary.
Title: Religion
Post by: Mantonio on November 13, 2004, 06:20:50 pm
1. 
Nontheist (100%)
2. 
Secular Humanism (100%)
3. 
Unitarian Universalism (86%)
4. 
Theravada Buddhism (65%)
5. 
Liberal Quakers (49%)
6. 
Neo-Pagan (29%)
7. 
Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (26%)
8. 
Taoism (16%)
9. 
New Age (8%)
10. 
Bahá'í Faith (0%)
11. 
Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (0%)
12. 
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (0%)
13. 
Eastern Orthodox (0%)
14. 
Hinduism (0%)
15. 
Islam (0%)
16. 
Jainism (0%)
17. 
Jehovah's Witness (0%)
18. 
Mahayana Buddhism (0%)
19. 
Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (0%)
20. 
New Thought (0%)
21. 
Orthodox Judaism (0%)
22. 
Orthodox Quaker (0%)
23. 
Reform Judaism (0%)
24. 
Roman Catholic (0%)
25. 
Scientology (0%)
26. 
Seventh Day Adventist (0%)
27. 
Sikhism (0%
Title: Religion
Post by: Mantonio on November 13, 2004, 06:29:04 pm
Quote from: "Mantonio"
1. 
Nontheist (100%)
2. 
Secular Humanism (100%)
3. 
Unitarian Universalism (86%)
4. 
Theravada Buddhism (65%)
5. 
Liberal Quakers (49%)
6. 
Neo-Pagan (29%)
7. 
Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (26%)
8. 
Taoism (16%)
9. 
New Age (8%)

(EDIT to remove all the 0%'s.)

Well, that about hits the nail on the head. The only time I ever had religion was when I was an Art Bell fan and believed in UFO's Alien Abductions, Area 51, remote viewing and so-called "Earth Changes". Then I became an apostate.