The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Bozack on November 14, 2004, 06:40:16 am
-
Russell T. Jones, the rap artist known as O.D.B., collapsed and died yesterday at a recording studio in Manhattan, the police said. Mr. Jones, a 35-year-old native of Fort Greene, Brooklyn, was a founding member of the Wu-Tang Clan and made a large imprint on rap music in the 1990's.
Gabriel Tesoriero, a spokesman for Roc-a-Fella Records, for which Mr. Jones recorded, said that Mr. Jones complained of chest pains before he collapsed. The police said the cause of death would be determined by the city's medical examiner, but they said there was no evidence of foul play.
Mr. Jones was found unconscious at the recording studio, at 545 West 34th Street, at 4:40 p.m. He was pronounced dead at the scene, the authorities said.
Mr. Jones formed the Wu-Tang Clan with two of his cousins, Robert Diggs and Gary Grice, and their first album, "Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)," released in 1993, was considered widely influential on the evolving genre of rap music.
But Mr. Jones's personal life was tumultuous, and his repeated run-ins with the law stood out even in a field where many performers have garnered criminal records along with commercial success.
His growing stature in rap music was accompanied by increasingly erratic behavior. He was charged in 1997 with failure to pay child support for three of his children, and the next year he pleaded guilty to attempted assault on his wife.
Later clashes with the law involved charges of menacing security officers, drug offenses, shoplifting and driving with a suspended license. He was sentenced to prison in 2001 for drug possession and for fleeing a drug rehabilitation clinic. After his release in 2003, he signed with the Roc-a-Fella label.
Damon Dash, a founder of Roc-a-Fella, said last night in a statement that Mr. Jones "inspired us all with his spirit, wit and tremendous heart."
Cherry Jones, Mr. Jones's mother, said, "This evening I received a phone call that is every mother's worst dream." She described her son as "the kindest, most generous soul on earth."
Man, given the "bling babies" strip, it looks like there's another, more permanent reason to take ODB off of the Wu-Tang mobile. RIP, ODB.
-
So what Wu Tang members are left? Just RZA and GZA?
Wu Tang Fah EVAH
-
WTF? This is why I freaking hate the NY Times. Newspapers are supposed to refer to a person by their preferred name. When Mel Brooks dies they aren't going to call him Melvin Kaminsky for the whole damn obit. They'll mention it's his real name, but will call him Brooks throughout. But for ODB not only do they not use his real name but they're too uptight to even tell you what it means.
I hate those fuckers.
-
And no mention of the name Dirt McGirt. That is straight-up bullshit.
As for the remaining Wu-Tang members, I think there are like 9 left. Or 12.
-
ODB is DOA. Now Hangin' with B.I.G.
I love this country.
-
So what Wu Tang members are left? Just RZA and GZA?
Wu Tang Fah EVAH
I think that ODB, RZA and GZA are the founding members, so they are the only founding members left. But isn't ODB the first to die? I saw the headline as Wu Tang Founder Dead, and I was worried it was GZA, because I like the GZA, a lot. I want to release a record by him.