The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: AugustWest on November 15, 2004, 06:16:52 pm

Title: Hey Wombat!
Post by: AugustWest on November 15, 2004, 06:16:52 pm
As our resident linguist (Notice how I resisted the temptation to say "cunning" there.  Admire my self-restraint!)  I have a question re: the etymology of the word "liver".  Liver as in the body organ/cirrhosis of/pate/wurst.

Is the origin of the word related to "live", as in "without a liver you can't live" or "without a liver one is a die-er"?  Is this something that is patently obvious that I should be embarrassed that I don't know?
Title: Hey Wombat!
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 15, 2004, 06:56:55 pm
Similarly (http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?l=l&p=9)
Title: Hey Wombat!
Post by: wombat on November 15, 2004, 08:41:00 pm
It looks like while I was spending the day picking up animal poop for free, attempting to no longer be a linguist, you guys handled this fine.

We don't need experts anymore, we just need Google.  Well, as long as the experts are all putting stuff up on the web.
Title: Hey Wombat!
Post by: AugustWest on November 15, 2004, 08:53:34 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
It looks like while I was spending the day picking up animal poop for free,


Uh, OK, if you don't want to be my linguist, could you come to my house and pick up animal poop for free?
Title: Hey Wombat!
Post by: wombat on November 15, 2004, 09:53:58 pm
Well, I was actually hoping to eventually get paid for it again...

But in the meantime - No, not till you change your rather frightening current custom title.
Title: Hey Wombat!
Post by: AugustWest on November 15, 2004, 10:03:06 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
No, not till you change your rather frightening current custom title.


You seem to be under a misapprehension that I have something to do with choosing my custom titles.  I am but dust in the titular wind, as it were.
Title: Hey Wombat!
Post by: jough on November 15, 2004, 11:08:48 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "wombat"
No, not till you change your rather frightening current custom title.


You seem to be under a misapprehension that I have something to do with choosing my custom titles.  I am but dust in the titular wind, as it were.


'Tis true.  And how did you not see your new rank coming from several KMs away?
Title: Hey Wombat!
Post by: AugustWest on November 16, 2004, 01:23:21 am
Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "wombat"
No, not till you change your rather frightening current custom title.


You seem to be under a misapprehension that I have something to do with choosing my custom titles.  I am but dust in the titular wind, as it were.


'Tis true.  And how did you not see your new rank coming from several KMs away?
New Title?  I guess it's just a drop of water in an endless sea of 'em.
Title: Hey Wombat!
Post by: Bozack on November 16, 2004, 05:23:10 am
Ha, August, do you have a list somewhere of all of your titles?
Title: Hey Wombat!
Post by: AugustWest on November 16, 2004, 05:35:29 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
Ha, August, do you have a list somewhere of all of your titles?


Nope.  I suppose they are subconciously stored and could be retrieved by means of hypnosis, but for the most part I have no conscious memory of my former titles.  Welcome to the world of aging, Papaw.