The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: pmcd9 on August 11, 2003, 10:53:19 am

Title: Lileks 8/11/03
Post by: pmcd9 on August 11, 2003, 10:53:19 am
Todays Bleat (http://www.lileks.com/bleats/archive/03/0803/081103.html) was a perfect example of what I love about Lileks.  When he's reminiscing he paints such an idylic picture that I really get a warm feeling inside.  It may be BS, a momentary diversion on the way to the grave if you will, but it made me feel good for a while.  Hell, he made me want to buy my Grandmothers house so it doesn't get sold away when my Aunt dies.  Then I remembered that I am in the process of selling everything I own so I can get the hell out of this hillbilly hick town when the opportunity arrises.  Still, I have fond memories of my youth and I can relate to the sentiments he puts forth.  The house I grew up in was knocked down to build a toll plaza, sigh.

~Paul
Title: Lileks 8/11/03
Post by: AugustWest on August 11, 2003, 02:24:47 pm
Yes, this was a very nice one, wasn't it?  Very evocative and entirely free of politics or Hugh Hewitt ass-kissing.
Title: Lileks 8/11/03
Post by: V-Adore on August 11, 2003, 06:47:13 pm
Man, if he could be this screed-free more consistently, I'd start reading the Bleat again. Good stuff.
Title: Lileks 8/11/03
Post by: junk on August 12, 2003, 04:48:11 pm
i live like 8 blocks from where lileks grew up, apparently. he definitely has the entire feel of fargo down, especially the dead downtown that theyre trying to breath new life into but will ultimately fail.