The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: arkabee on November 16, 2004, 02:34:25 pm

Title: music thread for variety
Post by: arkabee on November 16, 2004, 02:34:25 pm
lareheartedboy has a link today to live magnetic fields.  i vaguely remember some of you youngin's going on about that there band.  i downloaded these live songs and i listened to them and i get the impression that he would very much like to meet Mr. Gira and talk about tea with honey and/or lemon and stuff.

there's also a link to a live Cat Power deal.  i will once agin posit that Matador records has a very good batting average, and that it's slugging percentage (which in my mind is the percentage of hits that are doubles or greater, so thusly the percentage of hits which are good hits as opposed to bad hits) is astronomical.  i didn't want to like Cat Power, because i think she may very well be a hipster capable of more self-aware irony than i ever will, and yet the voice, the voice, what am i to do?

damn you alternachixors! damn you to hell!  just as soon as i pull myself out of your grasp, you Pull. Me. Back. In.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: andalucia on November 16, 2004, 06:51:24 pm
Live Magnetic Fields would be a very exciting thing indeed, were they coming anywhere near me.  Theoretically I do not live all that far from New York, but  like Mr. Bowie, I'm afraid of Americans.
As for Cat Power, no, there really is no resistance to her hipstery charms.  


ONE OF US.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: Bozack on November 16, 2004, 08:49:54 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Live Magnetic Fields would be a very exciting thing indeed, were they coming anywhere near me.  Theoretically I do not live all that far from New York, but  like Mr. Bowie, I'm afraid of Americans.
As for Cat Power, no, there really is no resistance to her hipstery charms.  


Do not fear New York! We are awesome! And if you come, I will take you to delicious restaurants and ply you with the most watery of shitty American beers!
Title: Re: music thread for variety
Post by: miles on November 19, 2004, 08:40:49 am
Quote from: "arkabee"
lareheartedboy has a link today to live magnetic fields.  i vaguely remember some of you youngin's going on about that there band.  i downloaded these live songs and i listened to them and i get the impression that he would very much like to meet Mr. Gira and talk about tea with honey and/or lemon and stuff.


I don't know what you are talking about, but I like Magnetic Fields.  In fact, I am listening to The Charm of the Highway Strip right now, as I work on a paper. I love that album.  I think everyone should listen to it.  Go buy it.
Title: Re: music thread for variety
Post by: arkabee on November 19, 2004, 02:47:53 pm
Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "arkabee"
lareheartedboy has a link today to live magnetic fields.  i vaguely remember some of you youngin's going on about that there band.  i downloaded these live songs and i listened to them and i get the impression that he would very much like to meet Mr. Gira and talk about tea with honey and/or lemon and stuff.


I don't know what you are talking about, but I like Magnetic Fields.  In fact, I am listening to The Charm of the Highway Strip right now, as I work on a paper. I love that album.  I think everyone should listen to it.  Go buy it.


to recap:

largeheartedboy (http://blog.largeheartedboy.com/) has a link from the other day to some live magnetic fields (http://www.kvrx.org/locallive/sounds/123/).

i'd never heard of magnetic fields before seeing their name on this achewood messageboard.

i downloaded the live songs linked above.

i am left with the impression from these live songs, that the singer of magnetic fields would like to have tea (http://www.health911.com/remedies/rem_soret.htm) with  M. Gira of the Swans  (http://www.emusic.com/artist/10556/10556880.html) and discuss the pros and cons of lemon  (http://www.fatfreekitchen.com/home-remedy/soar-throat.html) and honey (http://www.tipking.com/tip/2918.html).
Title: Re: music thread for variety
Post by: miles on November 19, 2004, 03:23:33 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"
to recap:

largeheartedboy (http://blog.largeheartedboy.com/) has a link from the other day to some live magnetic fields (http://www.kvrx.org/locallive/sounds/123/).

i'd never heard of magnetic fields before seeing their name on this achewood messageboard.

i downloaded the live songs linked above.

i am left with the impression from these live songs, that the singer of magnetic fields would like to have tea (http://www.health911.com/remedies/rem_soret.htm) with  M. Gira of the Swans  (http://www.emusic.com/artist/10556/10556880.html) and discuss the pros and cons of lemon  (http://www.fatfreekitchen.com/home-remedy/soar-throat.html) and honey (http://www.tipking.com/tip/2918.html).


Yeah, sorry.  It was just the whole largeheartedboy thing that I didn't understand.  Do you like the Swans or Angels of Light, or was that a dig at Mr. Merrit?
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: miles on November 19, 2004, 03:27:39 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Live Magnetic Fields would be a very exciting thing indeed, were they coming anywhere near me.  Theoretically I do not live all that far from New York, but  like Mr. Bowie, I'm afraid of Americans.
As for Cat Power, no, there really is no resistance to her hipstery charms.  


ONE OF US.


Well, damn.  You just missed a BC date.  I realize that isn't exactly close to you, but, hey, it ain't America.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: andalucia on November 19, 2004, 05:17:46 pm
Dude, BC is really, really far away.  
Not to mention, a really odd choice for what I believe was his only Canadian show this tour.  Ah, well, Montreal's got enough awesome of its own.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: Nabubrush on November 19, 2004, 05:21:32 pm
They just played in PDX (or they are playing soon - I couldn't find the info).

Edit: sorry, he.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: miles on November 19, 2004, 06:47:12 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Dude, BC is really, really far away.  
Not to mention, a really odd choice for what I believe was his only Canadian show this tour.  Ah, well, Montreal's got enough awesome of its own.


Being from Seattle, I do realize this.  And it is odd.  Everyone goes to Tornoto and Montreal.  He skpis a lot of places though every tour.  And everyone skips Salt Lake.
Title: Re: music thread for variety
Post by: arkabee on November 19, 2004, 09:45:04 pm
Quote from: "miles"
Do you like the Swans or Angels of Light, or was that a dig at Mr. Merrit?


i like the Swans but i haven't listened to my cd's in a long time due to danger.

mr. merrit is the MF singer?

if so, then i was saying he sounded like he wanted to sound like gira.

based on the 4 random live tracks linked to from a blog.

and my having listened to them 2x each.
Title: Re: music thread for variety
Post by: andalucia on November 19, 2004, 10:22:42 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"
Quote from: "miles"
Do you like the Swans or Angels of Light, or was that a dig at Mr. Merrit?


i like the Swans but i haven't listened to my cd's in a long time due to danger.

mr. merrit is the MF singer?

if so, then i was saying he sounded like he wanted to sound like gira.

based on the 4 random live tracks linked to from a blog.

and my having listened to them 2x each.


Now that you mention it, I can see (that is to say, hear) the resemblance, but I doubt it's the causal one you're suggesting, as Stephin Merritt seems to take pleasure in citing his influences as ABBA, Phil Spector, etc.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 22, 2004, 02:16:30 pm
Apropos of nothing besides music, everyone run out and buy the new Neko Case live CD (http://www.mintrecs.com/release/index.html).  It's a-very nice.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: CortJstr on November 22, 2004, 03:51:38 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Apropos of nothing besides music, everyone run out and buy the new Neko Case live CD (http://www.mintrecs.com/release/index.html).  It's a-very nice.

I've only heard her as part of the New Pornographers. Does her stuff sound anything like that at all? I know A.C. Newman's solo stuff sounds almost identical to NP.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: Nabubrush on November 22, 2004, 05:07:38 pm
What CJ just said. Also, she is playing in PDX right in this general time frame. But Jesus, I can't see everybody.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: CortJstr on November 22, 2004, 05:10:44 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
But Jesus, I can't see everybody.

Seriously. Mary Prankster and Dave Hill are both playing this Friday, then there's a Colouring Lesson reunion on the 17th which is the same night as my dumb-ass x-mas party on the dumb-ass Dandy.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 22, 2004, 06:26:20 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I've only heard her as part of the New Pornographers. Does her stuff sound anything like that at all? I know A.C. Newman's solo stuff sounds almost identical to NP.


Neko's solo stuff is much more alt-country, Patsy-Cline channeling, quite different from New Pornographers' pop-o-matic ways.  Unfortunately the web sites for her and her label do a crapful job of providing samples.  Try Amazon for some sound clips.
Title: Re: music thread for variety
Post by: CortJstr on December 01, 2004, 08:13:59 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"
i will once agin posit that Matador records has a very good batting average, and that it's slugging percentage (which in my mind is the percentage of hits that are doubles or greater, so thusly the percentage of hits which are good hits as opposed to bad hits) is astronomical.  i didn't want to like Cat Power, because i think she may very well be a hipster capable of more self-aware irony than i ever will, and yet the voice, the voice, what am i to do?

damn you alternachixors! damn you to hell!  just as soon as i pull myself out of your grasp, you Pull. Me. Back. In.

Agreed. I picked up Matador At 15* on a whim (and because it was like $10).
And because of that I had to get a Pretty Girls Make Graves album. You talent-finding bastards!

And because I had some downloads left I also got The Soviettes and No Fun At All. But that's neither here nor there.

*M@15 is worth the money for the liner notes alone. That shit is funny.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: Bozack on December 02, 2004, 01:26:13 am
There's a new Cat Power CD/DVD combo that is, basically, an 18 minute song she did with M. Ward, and a 2-hour, one-shot video of her giving a live solo show in the WOODS. Also, during the live show, she tends to do a few of the songs.....twice.
And I bought it.
And I LIKE it!
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: arkabee on December 07, 2004, 03:56:08 pm
got a copy of Muse' "Absolution".

very good cd, you've maybe heard the single "time is running out".

amazon reviewers make the obvious connection that the singer sounds like the guy from radiohead, but one of them makes a connection to Queen i would not have heard but now that i think about it is apparent.

very good cd.

i will listen to it nonstop until i get sick of it.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: Nabubrush on December 07, 2004, 04:12:57 pm
Somebody loaned me Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights. Oh well. It's ok.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: slink on December 07, 2004, 04:13:03 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"

amazon reviewers make the obvious connection that the singer sounds like the guy from radiohead, but one of them makes a connection to Queen i would not have heard but now that i think about it is apparent.

very good cd.

i will listen to it nonstop until i get sick of it.


Does happen. The getting sick of part. Probably Muses biggest failing.
I think the Radiohead thing is way unfair. I mean, Matt Bellamy is a classically trained pianist and a trained vocalist, and it shows. He's also a damned good guitarrist. I really want to see them live, as well, they are incredibly tight, and do a lot of nice improv stuff. They look like a great live band.
Also I find their music a lot more interesting than Radiohead. But that's me.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: andalucia on December 07, 2004, 04:26:08 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
There's a new Cat Power CD/DVD combo that is, basically, an 18 minute song she did with M. Ward...


Oh good lord I need this.

Oh, also, this is where we talk about what shows we have been to, right?  I saw Ted Leo and the Pharmacists last night... I'm not really familiar with their music, but it was pretty fun.  Ted Leo's ridiculous, and their drummer is awesome.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: Turbo Ninja on December 07, 2004, 04:38:54 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "arkabee"

amazon reviewers make the obvious connection that the singer sounds like the guy from radiohead, but one of them makes a connection to Queen i would not have heard but now that i think about it is apparent.

very good cd.

i will listen to it nonstop until i get sick of it.


Does happen. The getting sick of part. Probably Muses biggest failing.
I think the Radiohead thing is way unfair. I mean, Matt Bellamy is a classically trained pianist and a trained vocalist, and it shows. He's also a damned good guitarrist. I really want to see them live, as well, they are incredibly tight, and do a lot of nice improv stuff. They look like a great live band.
Also I find their music a lot more interesting than Radiohead. But that's me.


I saw Muse play live a few weeks ago.  Matt Bellamy is an incredible live guitarist, particularly for being in a band that gets compared so often to Radiohead (unashamed knob-twiddlers).  He was all over the place on his guitars, unafraid to improvise.  His keyboards had a Close Encounters-style light system and he'd work Beethoven into some of the instrumental fills.  Hell of tight and worth every last penny of the ticket price.

As for Interpol, Turn on the Bright Lights is far and away superior to Antics.  There is nothing on Antics to compare to NYC, Untitled or Obstacle 1.

Also digging recently:  Kasabian, Dresden Dolls, Secret Machines, the new Nick Cave and this semi-cover of Gary Numan's "Metal" by Afrika Bambaataa.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: Nabubrush on December 07, 2004, 04:58:02 pm
Quote from: "superock101"
As for Interpol, Turn on the Bright Lights is far and away superior to Antics.  There is nothing on Antics to compare to NYC, Untitled or Obstacle 1.


I have Antics as well, but didn't try it.

Somebody loaned me this Union Underground thing. Man, does everyone have to put this same album out nowadays? But this brings up a question (but does not beg it): Why no band called Thunderground? It's a perfectly cheesy metal name. There are bands called Thunder Woman, Thunder Puss, and Thunder Bugs. I don't get it.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: slink on December 07, 2004, 05:16:55 pm
Quote from: "superock101"

Also digging recently:  Kasabian, Dresden Dolls, Secret Machines, the new Nick Cave and this semi-cover of Gary Numan's "Metal" by Afrika Bambaataa.


Probably gonna *cough* get *cough* the new Nick Cave. I liked Murder Ballads, though I never listen to it. Not really sure about him apart from that so it all depends what sound he's going for with the new one. The Bambaata Metal I have to get. That could be very cool.


Oh, and OK. To do a 'what I'm digging'...
Thanks to Ark, Front 242 still on heavy rotation. NIN as always.
Kroke, a splendid klezmer band. And The Cat Empire, Amparanoia and Ojos de Brujos for when I want to feel good.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: Nabubrush on December 07, 2004, 05:22:12 pm
I've been working out to Misfits, when I'm not watching ESPN. Other than that, since I'm at work and only have what's on my computer, Green Day, FF, MM, SS (I just noticed that - weird), Jet, and Elvis Costello.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: arkabee on December 07, 2004, 05:22:30 pm
i like radiohead.  i like thom's voice.  i like this muse guy's voice.  i'd say this album is sort of, remotely, like if you took older radiohead and transitioned from there, as opposed to new radiohead.  that being said, i'd say this muse album is rock, but then "endlessly" makes me teary eyed, but i'm also running a fever.

i sort of like the interpol stuff i've heard on the radio, etc.  this is funny, to me, maybe noone else, but the fist time i heard interpol was on the hold music that Gateway had last year.

i really like the remix on the radio now of the current interpol single.

please explain this "union underground" thing more.  i'm feeling slower than normal.

i'm very glad that so many of you go and see concerts.  the last concert i saw was matthew sweet and soul asylum.  i live vicariously through ya'll's concert experiences.

thunderground would be a kickass band name.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: Nabubrush on December 07, 2004, 05:24:45 pm
Union Underground is a band that frat boys would like.

I have to be careful because I have heightened awareness, now that I am the reverse antichrist (see postcount).
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: arkabee on December 07, 2004, 05:29:10 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Union Underground is a band that frat boys would like.

I have to be careful because I have heightened awareness, now that I am the reverse antichrist (see postcount).


oh.

slink, i found a cd i had forgtenn i had, cevin key's the ghosts of the rooms or something.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: slink on December 07, 2004, 06:10:16 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"

slink, i found a cd i had forgtenn i had, cevin key's the ghosts of the rooms or something.


Oooh. Cool. I been meaning to track down more cEvin Key stuff, among well, all the others (Tear Garden, more Ritalin &c). It seems to have gotten some favourable reviews...

If you were considering the usual, it may be worth holding off a week or so, since that will be when our broadband connection is hooked up. That said, it doesn't affect you so much either way.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: arkabee on December 07, 2004, 06:14:00 pm
i think there was only the one ritalin release. but i might be wrong.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: pmcd9 on December 07, 2004, 06:24:43 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"
amazon reviewers make the obvious connection that the singer sounds like the guy from radiohead, but one of them makes a connection to Queen i would not have heard but now that i think about it is apparent.


Muse definitely sounds like Queen, bombastically speaking.

And no, i'm not back.  I think it's just impossible.  I miss you guys.

~Paul
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: slink on December 07, 2004, 06:31:13 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"

Muse definitely sounds like Queen, bombastically speaking.

And no, i'm not back.  I think it's just impossible.  I miss you guys.

~Paul


Paul! Eeeeek! Dude!

There is certainly Queen in there. Which is weird. Simialrly Chris Cornell's solo album has a certain amount of Queen in there. It's a fantastic album (Disappearing One has the finest intro of anything ever), a lot more subdued than Soundgarden, and an incredible show for Cornell's voice.
Saying you can get sick of Absolution was a little unfair. I hadn't listened to it in a long time, but this spurred me to again. And I am enjoying it a lot. Hysteria is probably the highlight for me. I just love that track!
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: arkabee on December 07, 2004, 07:00:46 pm
when i say "listen to it until i am sick of it" i mean that  put the cd in the car and play the mp3's at my desk until i can not longer deal with it, regardless of what it is.

it's kind of a test.  for instance, one listen with many fast forwards of The Postal Service versus 2 straight days of this muse thing.

you'd think i'd be ab;e to remember lyrics, though.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: Bozack on December 08, 2004, 01:28:23 am
Aight, CD round-up. I grabbed a $3 copy of Spoon's "Kill the Moonlight"; this is, in fact, the third Spoon CD I've ever bought, and the first one that I've actually sorta liked. Everyone kept telling me that Spoon was awesome, and I never even got "interesting" from them until this CD. I also got the new Handsome Boy Modeling School album, "White People," which is pretty awesome, and "Songs the Cramps Taught Us, Vol. 2," which is a bootleg CD with about 25 original songs later covered, in some way, by the Cramps. It is pretty delish.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: Nabubrush on December 08, 2004, 01:49:48 am
I don't know if I've ever asked this, but:

Has anyone else ever seen the Cramps video that takes place in some sort of asylum, or something. I remember seeing it quite a long time ago - maybe 15 years or so? That could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure it was before my 1st marriage. Anyway, I found it disturbing.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: andalucia on December 08, 2004, 03:49:47 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
Aight, CD round-up. I grabbed a $3 copy of Spoon's "Kill the Moonlight"; this is, in fact, the third Spoon CD I've ever bought, and the first one that I've actually sorta liked. Everyone kept telling me that Spoon was awesome, and I never even got "interesting" from them until this CD. I also got the new Handsome Boy Modeling School album, "White People," which is pretty awesome, and "Songs the Cramps Taught Us, Vol. 2," which is a bootleg CD with about 25 original songs later covered, in some way, by the Cramps. It is pretty delish.


Aw, Spoon ARE rad.  And Kill The Moonlight has "The Way We Get By", and that song can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned.  The Cramps thing sounds pretty rad, too, though I think that a lot of their covers improved on the originals... they certainly ruined the actual "Route 66" for me.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: Limmo on December 08, 2004, 04:15:51 am
Quote from: "pmcd9"

And no, i'm not back.  I think it's just impossible.  I miss you guys.

~Paul


God damn it!  We need to get Paul a new computer.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 11, 2004, 02:02:07 am
I'd throw some spare change on that cause.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: Bozack on December 11, 2004, 02:07:57 am
Quote from: "andalucia"

Aw, Spoon ARE rad.  And Kill The Moonlight has "The Way We Get By", and that song can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned.  The Cramps thing sounds pretty rad, too, though I think that a lot of their covers improved on the originals... they certainly ruined the actual "Route 66" for me.


I think I know what you're getting next CD round...
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: starlight on December 11, 2004, 05:53:11 am
Hm hm... as for music, well, everything I've ever liked this year can be summarised here (http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar/388203.html)

...the last album I purchased was sometime at the end of last month.  Jesus and Mary Chain - Automatic.  instant hit.  of course, I had some mp3s before, so I wasn't surprised.

Also, speaking of Spoon... Girls Can Tell is my absolute fav. I must say.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: arkabee on December 11, 2004, 02:50:35 pm
Quote from: "starlight"

...the last album I purchased was sometime at the end of last month.  Jesus and Mary Chain - Automatic.  instant hit.  of course, I had some mp3s before, so I wasn't surprised.


what is it that you like about J&MC?

also, the screaming trees are gods amongst pop bands.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: slink on December 11, 2004, 03:45:41 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"

also, the screaming trees are gods amongst pop bands.


Damn straight! Dust in particular being my favourite. But then I'm somewhat biased, as I love everything Lanegan's been involved in!
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: starlight on December 12, 2004, 01:54:06 am
Quote from: "arkabee"

what is it that you like about J&MC?

also, the screaming trees are gods amongst pop bands.


It's 'cause they're pretty hott.. it sounds like the type of music one would play if they were in a mood.  lines like "Baby you drive me crazy / Don't come around here no more" ..really 'Between Planets' is my fav.  I also have Psycho Candy after hearing the Honey song on the Lost in Translation sndtrk.  this one is more straight forward than that one though.

d'you not like them?

---

Okay, I shall definitely look into getting some screaming trees soon!
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 12, 2004, 01:56:46 am
Quote from: "arkabee"
[also, the screaming trees are gods amongst pop bands.


The guitarist from Screaming Trees rode in my car once.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: arkabee on December 12, 2004, 04:01:41 pm
Quote from: "starlight"
Quote from: "arkabee"

what is it that you like about J&MC?


It's 'cause they're pretty hott.. it sounds like the type of music one would play if they were in a mood.  lines like "Baby you drive me crazy / Don't come around here no more" ..really 'Between Planets' is my fav.  I also have Psycho Candy after hearing the Honey song on the Lost in Translation sndtrk.  this one is more straight forward than that one though.

d'you not like them?


no, i do, or have, or go through phases of liking them.

i don't know what you mean by "pretty hott".  do you think they are
attractive?

can you be more specific about "in a mood"?  do you mean the band is in a certain mood to play that way or the person putting the cd on would have to be in a certain mood?

i've found that listening to them evokes a very distinct mood for me, but i don't know how much is eovked only from the music as opposed to past context of musical memory, and i'm curious if they evoke a specific mood for you and what it would be.

---
Quote from: "starlight"

Okay, I shall definitely look into getting some screaming trees soon!


Dust, as slink said, is indeed a good album.  i have a fondness for the early 90s album that had their "hit" on it, as that's when i saw them on tour and etc.

uncle anesthesia, though, may not be the best bet for a first screaming trees album purchase.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: starlight on December 12, 2004, 10:41:35 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"
no, i do, or have, or go through phases of liking them.

i don't know what you mean by "pretty hott".  do you think they are
attractive?

can you be more specific about "in a mood"?  do you mean the band is in a certain mood to play that way or the person putting the cd on would have to be in a certain mood?

i've found that listening to them evokes a very distinct mood for me, but i don't know how much is eovked only from the music as opposed to past context of musical memory, and i'm curious if they evoke a specific mood for you and what it would be.


Ah sorry :\
I realised I've been using the term 'hott' too much which is not usually my term of description.  I think some teen chip got put in my head sometime last week.

Anyhow, I meant the music is good sex / action music and yes, the person listening must be in a 'mood'.

I guess this idea hits most considering who told me to listen to it... an "ex" ..ahah.  he was quoting all the sexy lines and telling me it's the best mood music, so therefore it stuck.

---

Annnd Dust it is then.
I cannot purchase anything till after xmas, but maybe I'll dl a track later on soulseek to see what I think!
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: arkabee on December 13, 2004, 02:11:40 am
inneresting.

they've always put me in the mood to get a buzz on, chainsmoke, and wander aimlessly the sidewalks through fog.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: arkabee on January 07, 2005, 12:23:44 am
stratageme's "james vs the reds".

damn but that is a beautiful guitar note.

play that guitar note, play it.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: Bozack on January 07, 2005, 06:41:36 am
Right now I'm listening to "China Cat Sunflower," and kind of hating myself for it. Recently, I've been listening to the new Sufjan Stevens, the old Fiery Furnaces, the old Bobby Bare, Jr., the old Robbie Fulks, and the new Nick Cave.
I saw Will Oldham, aka Bonnie Prince Billy, walking down the street today, and then finished the night by watching  this. (http://www.grapevineculture.com/review.php?r=358&s=-1) Yes, that picture is Will Oldham, HIGH AS HELL on shrooms, riding in a go-kart.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: starlight on January 07, 2005, 10:28:59 am
Quote from: "Bozack"

I saw Will Oldham, aka Bonnie Prince Billy, walking down the street today, and then finished the night by watching  this. (http://www.grapevineculture.com/review.php?r=358&s=-1) Yes, that picture is Will Oldham, HIGH AS HELL on shrooms, riding in a go-kart.


Wow, that picture is slightly.... disturbing...

---

I cannot get the song 'Jet Ski Accidents' by The Blow out of my head.. it's been there for two straight days...

Mostly it's the 'ba ba bum ba ba bum' that does it... over and over again.  just when I get it out, it comes back during a quiet moment.

I could be evil and link the mp3 (I recently put it on a double disc mix from someone's mp3 compilation they posted), but I think I'll spare y'all.

---

I've also been listening to the Annie - Anniemal album.  it's quite addictive in a poppy electro dancey way.

Currently waiting for my darn Hood single and manyfingers album I ordered to get here.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: andalucia on January 07, 2005, 01:30:19 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Will Oldham, HIGH AS HELL on shrooms, riding in a go-kart.


Man, even if I never see that, it makes me very happy deep inside to know that it exists.
I've been listening to the Hidden Cameras (went in to intern at the paper last night and all they had for me to do was an Urgent Last-Minute CD Review of the Cameras' new album), Frog Eyes, a Swedish indie-rock band called Dungen, Neutral Milk Hotel's v. old and endearing Hype City Soundtrack, lots of T.Rex and David Bowie as usual, and the Lovely Feathers (band from my school that's apparently in the process of making it big-ish).
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: Nabubrush on January 07, 2005, 04:12:12 pm
I've only listened to the Temptations and Otis Redding since I've been home.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: Limmo on January 07, 2005, 04:19:16 pm
The only new stuff I'm listening to is The Wildhearts Must Be Destroyed! ( a hybrid of Motorhead and the Byrds ) and a few songs I bought from the Nirvana box set ( which I suppose does not even qualify as new ).  Old stuff: Catherine Wheel, Reign in Blood, Jimi Hendrix and Benny Goodman.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: Nabubrush on January 07, 2005, 04:31:20 pm
I know a guy who taught his 5 year old boy to recite Angel of Death.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: miles on January 10, 2005, 05:49:51 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
a Swedish indie-rock band called Dungen


This is a really great record.  For all fans of 60s/70s psych rock.  You wouldn't be able to guess it wasn't recorded then.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: monkeybutter on January 10, 2005, 07:05:31 pm
the only bands i'm listening to are Modest penis (saw em in october), The Pixies (June) and Mudhoney, Sonic Youth, Temple of the Dog and Nirvana!!
Anyone in to grunge, i need to hear more!! Need to get some mother love bone or green river- they any good? Can't download tunes so have to invest my cash wisely!
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: slink on January 10, 2005, 07:37:07 pm
I've been listening to a lot of Ojos de Brujo, Mellowdrone and Defacto of late.  I listen to Temple of the Dog occasionally, but mostly if I listen to grunge now, it would be Mudhoney, Soundgarden or straying off into like, Alice in Chains or Mad Season. But even then I haven't listened to any grunge in a while...
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: monkeybutter on January 10, 2005, 08:02:02 pm
ah yes, alice in chains- only got Unplugged but its ace! Need some Soundgarden, Chris Cornell is well cool
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: Nabubrush on January 10, 2005, 11:30:38 pm
If you like that stuff you ought to have Mother Love Bone. You should be able to find it used for like $8. It's worth it if you are at all into that stuff. It stands up better than most of it, because Andrew was just so glammy. He's got that whole rock-and-roll junkie squall voice. And he wasn't particularly earnest, which is nice in a musician.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: Limmo on January 11, 2005, 02:05:03 am
Staaaaaaaaaaaar-dog Chem-pee-uuuuuuuuuuun!
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: Nabubrush on January 11, 2005, 04:25:45 am
Quote from: "Limmo"
Staaaaaaaaaaaar-dog Chem-pee-uuuuuuuuuuun!


OK, now you don't need to buy the album.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: miles on January 11, 2005, 06:42:43 am
New Nirvana Box Set:  don't get it.  Just in case you were considering it.  Just download the best tracks.  The DVD sucks ass.

Green River is a pretty good band, though it's been years since I've heard them.

Treepeople, an earlier band Doug Martsch from Built to Spill, has some cool stuff.  They aren't exactly comparable to other bands, but all those bands from that late 80s to mid 90s are pretty different anyway.  I can only speak for the Treepeople records featuring Doug Martsch, however.  Particularly Guilt Regret and Embarrassment.  K Records released it a few years ago.  I have an older release, on Toxic Shock(?) records out of Tucson that has 9 or so extra songs, including Handcuffs, one of the best rock songs of the 90s.  Try to find that if you can, though I have no idea how hard it is to find now.

Other bands from the era I have enjoyed:  Tad, The Melvins, and jesus, my brain can't remember anymore.

Oh yeah, speaking of jesus, don't forget the Jesus Lizard.  While not really a part of that scene, they are my favorite hard rock band of all time (AC/DC, Bon Scott era, a distant second), and Liar is my favorite hard rock record of all time.

Karp is another fun band.  Karp records are on K, and they have a good compilation on another label.

Go watch the movie Hype if you haven't already.  It's really, really funny.  And it has some cool music.

I think Chris Cornell and Layne Staley are two of the greatest rock vocalists of all time.  I only mention that because I listened to Would off of Dirt and a few songs off of Badmotorfinger earlier tonight.  Just great vocalists.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: jough on January 11, 2005, 07:34:39 am
I remember when the "Singles" soundtrack came out and how it was the first soundtrack and movie to be about that whole Seattle scene (sort of).

It was a good scene - all good music scenes require a change of clothes (the grunge scene was like the lumberjack scene dress-wise) and as Zappa said, rock is to dress up to.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: Gimpson on January 11, 2005, 02:19:37 pm
Quote from: "miles"
I think Chris Cornell and Layne Staley are two of the greatest rock vocalists of all time.  I only mention that because I listened to Would off of Dirt and a few songs off of Badmotorfinger earlier tonight.  Just great vocalists.


"Jar of Flies" is one of the few albums from that era that I still listen to on a regular basis.  When I was home for Christmas I bought a copy of Pearl Jam's "Ten" since I noticed a while ago that I seem to have lost my copy.  I just felt that I should own a copy of that album.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: Nabubrush on January 11, 2005, 11:10:28 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"
When I was home for Christmas I bought a copy of Pearl Jam's "Ten" since I noticed a while ago that I seem to have lost my copy.  I just felt that I should own a copy of that album.


On a related note, when G 'n R "Appetite" came out, I thought that I would always feel the above about that album. I haven't had a copy in at least ten years, and I don't miss it a bit.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: miles on January 12, 2005, 06:19:49 am
Quote from: "starlight"
I've also been listening to the Annie - Anniemal album.  it's quite addictive in a poppy electro dancey way.


I am really enjoying this.  Isn't Heartbeat...heartbreaking?

Do you like Saint Etienne?  I guess not that similar, but they are dancey, and sometimes they have a similar feel.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: miles on January 12, 2005, 06:23:18 am
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "Gimpson"
When I was home for Christmas I bought a copy of Pearl Jam's "Ten" since I noticed a while ago that I seem to have lost my copy.  I just felt that I should own a copy of that album.


On a related note, when G 'n R "Appetite" came out, I thought that I would always feel the above about that album. I haven't had a copy in at least ten years, and I don't miss it a bit.


I love Appetite.  I was 9, I believe, when that came out, and it was the first naughty music I was into.  But I never listen to it, so everytime I re-buy it I re-sell it.

Ten was the first CD I ever owned, and I still have it.  I almost sold it once, but the dude behind the counter said it was too scratched.  It still plays though.  Although I don't love it as I once did, it has some choice cuts.  Once, Alive, Black, Porch and Even Flow are all great.  Well, Black's kind of obnoxious, but it's good.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: miles on January 12, 2005, 06:52:57 am
Quote from: "arkabee"
what is it that you like about J&MC?

also, the screaming trees are gods amongst pop bands.


I need to get into the Screaming Trees again.  I really like Mark Lanegan's song with Queens of the Stone Age, Hangin' Tree.  Another great vocalist.

Jesus & Mary Chain are like an aphrodisiac for my ex-girlfriend.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: starlight on January 12, 2005, 08:46:01 am
Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "starlight"
I've also been listening to the Annie - Anniemal album.  it's quite addictive in a poppy electro dancey way.


I am really enjoying this.  Isn't Heartbeat...heartbreaking?

Do you like Saint Etienne?  I guess not that similar, but they are dancey, and sometimes they have a similar feel.


Well, since I read a slight review (http://www.livejournal.com/users/amadeeeep/336099.html) a friend wrote about it before hearing the album, I ended up finding a good lot o' the album slightly heartbreaking underneath it all.

I have one Saint Etienne album.. Finisterre.  it's good stuff.  I like to use the voice clips of that butler-sounding guy at the beginning of most the tracks as intros on mixes.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: Nabubrush on January 12, 2005, 06:05:34 pm
Quote from: "miles"
Ten was the first CD I ever owned, and I still have it.


DSOTM, Houses of the Holy, and Strange Days were my first three, and I still have them all. That had to be back in '84 or so. Remember when CDs came in those long cardboard boxes with the cover art on them?
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: arkabee on January 12, 2005, 06:37:49 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Remember when CDs came in those long cardboard boxes with the cover art on them?


yes.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: AugustWest on January 12, 2005, 06:46:49 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "miles"
Ten was the first CD I ever owned, and I still have it.


DSOTM, Houses of the Holy, and Strange Days were my first three, and I still have them all. That had to be back in '84 or so. Remember when CDs came in those long cardboard boxes with the cover art on them?


First albums I owned were News of the World, Out of the Blue and Point of Know Return, all on 8-Track.

I think the first CD was REM's Out of Time.  I didn't buy a CD player until about '92.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: Gimpson on January 12, 2005, 07:11:25 pm
Can we not do the "first album" thing?  I don't want to admit that the first album I bought was The Bangles "Different Light".
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: andalucia on January 12, 2005, 07:34:39 pm
Yeah, doing best albums from the year we were born (this was a long time ago) was embarassing enough.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: arkabee on January 12, 2005, 08:07:26 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"
Can we not do the "first album" thing?  I don't want to admit that the first album I bought was The Bangles "Different Light".


the first tape i bought was Genesis' abacab.

the first cd's i bought were REM's automatic for the people and helmet's meantime.

i bring this up, because i am in process of selling all of my cd's.
so, the other night, i am selling some cd's.
and i look at the one as the lady scans it, and i say "oh, that was the first cd i ever bought" and she didn't even seem to catch it.

apparently, i expect an unreasonable amount of empathy from managerial staff at book/music/movie chains.

on a side note:
the average, or most common, price for buy back at that store is one dollar.

so far, i've had a couple of 3 dollar, and one 5 dollar so far.

and the 5 dollar goes to:
(drumroll please)
Cake's Fashion Nugget.

i don't get it.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 12, 2005, 08:19:06 pm
My first CD was The Cure's "Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me," which I have recently sold.  I concluded it was too fuckin' whiny.

First LP:  ELO's Greatest Hits.  Hooray for pre-teen tastelessness!
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 12, 2005, 08:44:34 pm
My first Album was Billy Joel's "Glass Houses".
Then the Beatles Greatest  Hits 1967-1970.

These were on LP. Then I got an 8-track of ELO's Greatest Hits.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: Limmo on January 12, 2005, 09:27:17 pm
KISS ALIVE II.  With the temporary tattoos and everything.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: wombat on January 12, 2005, 09:39:11 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Remember when CDs came in those long cardboard boxes with the cover art on them?


Oh!  I had forgotten.  Thank you for reminding me that once in a great while there IS such a thing as progress.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: wombat on January 12, 2005, 09:41:20 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"
Can we not do the "first album" thing?  I don't want to admit that the first album I bought was The Bangles "Different Light".


Oh, come on, that's supposed to be embarassing?  I strongly suspect that the first album I owned was something by the Partridge Family, but fortunately I am so old that my memory's gone and I don't really remember.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: AugustWest on January 12, 2005, 09:46:44 pm
Mine were the first albums I ever bought for myself.  First album ever purchased for me was either Snoopy and the Red Baron by the Royal Guardsment or John Denver's Greatest Hits.  I also wore out a 45 of Don McLean's American Pie.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: wombat on January 12, 2005, 10:10:59 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
 I also wore out a 45 of Don McLean's American Pie.


Ah, I fondly remember doing this also.  Didn't it take up both sides of the 45?

I don't remember what the first albums I bought for myself were.  Maybe Paul Simon with or without Garfunkel.  I think the first CD was Graceland, come to think of it.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: arkabee on January 12, 2005, 10:50:55 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
...Snoopy and the Red Baron by the Royal Guardsment...


I remember wearing both my self and that record out.  


um, not sure i needed to know that...
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: Bozack on January 13, 2005, 12:14:11 am
Mine was Pink Floyd's "The Wall."

WOOOOOO!
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: Nabubrush on January 13, 2005, 12:29:01 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
Yeah, doing best albums from the year we were born (this was a long time ago) was embarassing enough.


I'll have you know that was my thread, and I was inordinately proud of coming up with that idea.

Actually, I just thought it was an interesting thing that "Ten" would have been someone's first CD. Shit, one of my first record albums was "Synchronicity". I think my first 45 was "Watching the Wheels". Then again, my older brother has some 5000 records, so I didn't really have to buy 'em.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: AugustWest on January 13, 2005, 01:02:43 am
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
...Snoopy and the Red Baron by the Royal Guardsment...


I remember wearing both my self and that record out.  Gleefull capering mandatory to that, I think.


Yeah, I had one of those big bouncy ball with a handle that you sat on and bounced and I would just get crazy frenetic to the 10-20-30-40-50 song.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: miles on January 13, 2005, 05:00:50 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
Yeah, doing best albums from the year we were born (this was a long time ago) was embarassing enough.


Gang of Four:  Entertainment!
Talking Heads:  Fear of Music
The Clash:  London Calling
Pere Ubu:  New Picnic Time
Public Image Ltd:  Second Edition
Wire:  154

Not a bad year.  Until I was born.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: jough on January 13, 2005, 05:46:51 am
Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "andalucia"
Yeah, doing best albums from the year we were born (this was a long time ago) was embarassing enough.


Gang of Four:  Entertainment!
Talking Heads:  Fear of Music
The Clash:  London Calling
Pere Ubu:  New Picnic Time
Public Image Ltd:  Second Edition
Wire:  154

Not a bad year.  Until I was born.


Well, PIL's "Second Edition" came out in 1980 in the US, but yeah, "Metal Box" came out in '79 just like the other albums.

Still, 1979 kinda sucked for music (London Calling notwithstanding).
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 13, 2005, 06:42:06 pm
Some of the top selling albums in 1967 (Billboard and Cashbox):

The Doors/ The Doors
Beatles / Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
No fewer than 3 different Monkees albums
The Mamas and the Papas/ Deliver
Bobby Gentry / Ode to Billy Joe

Albums made in 1967 I wouldn't mind owning:

Cream  / Disraeli Gears
Marvin Gaye and Tammy Terrell / United
David Bowie / David Bowie
Bee Gees / 1st (this has the cool old vocal blues songs, better than disco)
Jimi Hendrix / Are you Experienced
Moody Blues / Days of Future Passed
Procul Harem / Procul Harem
The Velvet Underground and Nico / The Velvet Underground

It's hard to choose the best albums of 1967.

I would say I think Sgt Pepper, Velvet Underground and Nico, and Jimi  Hendrix probably have had a lot of influence...and, thanks to some great CDs burninated for me by some of you following the tragic events of last X-mas, I have some of the Rolling Stones and Who albums from what is a pretty great year in Rock and Roll.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: miles on January 13, 2005, 06:45:20 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Still, 1979 kinda sucked for music (London Calling notwithstanding).


Maybe.  But any year that see the release of Entertainment! AND 154 is good by my standards.  And Fear of Music.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: CortJstr on January 13, 2005, 07:30:09 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
better than disco

LIAR! Nothing is better than disco! Except maybe sex with disco in the background. While eating Ritz crackers.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: St_Zartan on January 13, 2005, 07:34:09 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
better than disco

LIAR! Nothing is better than disco! Except maybe sex with disco in the background. While eating Ritz crackers.


DO THE HUSTLE (http://www.rathinker.co.kr/paranormal/esp/Images/ritz.jpg)
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: Nabubrush on January 13, 2005, 08:15:41 pm
I'd like to say that, on recommendations from the denizens of this board, I purchased "Keep it like a Secret" and am enjoying it immensely. It would have been neat if I had bought it back when they were playing down the street from my house every week, but there you go.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: CortJstr on January 13, 2005, 09:11:46 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I'd like to say that, on recommendations from the denizens of this board, I purchased "Keep it like a Secret" and am enjoying it immensely. It would have been neat if I had bought it back when they were playing down the street from my house every week, but there you go.

I did the same. I've since aquired the rest of the BtS catalog as well and it's good but none of it is as awesom as Keep It Like a Secret in my opinion.
Title: music thread for variety
Post by: miles on January 13, 2005, 10:16:58 pm
Keep it Like a Secret is possibly the best thing ever.  Few things please me more than new Built to Spill fans.

Unknown Pleasures by Joy Division also came out in 1979, I believe.