The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: cellardoor on November 17, 2004, 11:04:31 am

Title: 17-11-04 "I am the law, I am the lash!"
Post by: cellardoor on November 17, 2004, 11:04:31 am
Yes, yes, YES!
Proactive Beef gives hope to the masses!
I'm loving this change but fear it isn't going to stick.
Weldon is a rock but what'll happen if he should...break?
Title: 17-11-04 "I am the law, I am the lash!"
Post by: Steve Hogan on November 17, 2004, 01:12:36 pm
Tonight, the part of Roast Beef will be played by Samuel L Jackson.
Title: 17-11-04 "I am the law, I am the lash!"
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on November 17, 2004, 01:21:29 pm
Onstad truly has "grokked" the idea of timing. Not punchline timing that you see in throwaway episodic humor like sitcoms, but long-arc timing that you often see in character dramas, comic books, and cult classic television shows. It's not that we weren't expecting Beef to finally be pushed to the wall until he grew a pair; we were. It's not that we didn't see it coming; of course we did. But the long, slow buildup, the layering upon layering and inexorable approach, is what makes for good sex, good chili, and good storytelling. I would advise not doing all three at once otherwise you'll be telling good stories about how your good chili ruined your good sex.
Title: 17-11-04 "I am the law, I am the lash!"
Post by: slink on November 17, 2004, 01:26:11 pm
Now Beef has to go round and take Molly out to make up for his being absent for a while! All being supahfly...
Title: 17-11-04 "I am the law, I am the lash!"
Post by: arkabee on November 17, 2004, 01:55:57 pm
um,

is he beating his grandmother in the last panel?
Title: 17-11-04 "I am the law, I am the lash!"
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on November 17, 2004, 02:27:22 pm
Pat comes over to kill Beef.

Finds Gramma K. instead.

Romance blossoms.

/Karnac
Title: 17-11-04 "I am the law, I am the lash!"
Post by: Choop on November 17, 2004, 02:28:53 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"
um,

is he beating his grandmother in the last panel?


Don't believe so; that would be more like "SLAP Slap slap slap" - either he's pounding on the door (my guess) or he's shooting her over and over (good musb* I hope not)


* mysterious unnamed supreme being
Title: 17-11-04 "I am the law, I am the lash!"
Post by: Bozack on November 17, 2004, 03:39:55 pm
Wow, yeah, I definitely agree with what Bobby said. This is really really good.
Title: 17-11-04 "I am the law, I am the lash!"
Post by: AugustWest on November 17, 2004, 03:43:51 pm
Excellent!  Excellent!  Excellent!

I'm just concerned about the bangs.
Title: 17-11-04 "I am the law, I am the lash!"
Post by: Silverberg on November 17, 2004, 04:08:55 pm
Sweet mother of mercy.

I'm frightened.
Title: 17-11-04 "I am the law, I am the lash!"
Post by: Turbo Ninja on November 17, 2004, 04:33:54 pm
Maybe Beef is nailing boards over the door to Gramma K's room so's she has to stay put.
Title: 17-11-04 "I am the law, I am the lash!"
Post by: CortJstr on November 17, 2004, 04:42:52 pm
That was Pat shooting Weldon. He may have somehow imitated Gramma K or just used that as an opportunity to be alone with the dog.

Either that or Beef was just knocking on the door which was slammed shut in panel 6.
Title: 17-11-04 "I am the law, I am the lash!"
Post by: foolio on November 17, 2004, 04:58:12 pm
no uh i think it's gramma K shooting Roast Beef such as other characters have shot him before
Title: 17-11-04 "I am the law, I am the lash!"
Post by: Formica on November 17, 2004, 05:14:50 pm
Truly, it is the limit that Beef is more protective of his plastic pet than he ever was of Molly, with regard to Gramma K.

As for the bangs, at first I assumed it was Beef banging on the door and/or table, but... hmmm.

Despite references to the Lash I doubt he would actually assault Gramma; the Pat distraction hypothesis looks more and more interesting upon further reflection.
Title: 17-11-04 "I am the law, I am the lash!"
Post by: jough on November 17, 2004, 05:33:03 pm
Well, if that's the case then it makes sense that Pat would shoot the AIBO.  I mean, he never intended to shoot Beef last time - but he seems to have no qualms about shooting a *****.

So that would make sense.  I guess we'll find out Monday.  Or else the storyline may just abruptly drop.
Title: 17-11-04 "I am the law, I am the lash!"
Post by: V-Adore on November 17, 2004, 05:40:42 pm
An abrupt storyline drop now would make me a very sad panda.

I think he's just banging on the door; at least, I hope that thngs haven't escalated to the point of assault yet for Beef. Also I presume that Pat's rage is frustrated, since I can't imagine Ray ever giving him a gun.
Title: 17-11-04 "I am the law, I am the lash!"
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 17, 2004, 07:06:49 pm
I'm all for a literal interpretation.

In that last panel, he's obviously banging Gramma K.
Title: 17-11-04 "I am the law, I am the lash!"
Post by: Paisley on November 17, 2004, 07:07:36 pm
Quote from: "Formica"
Truly, it is the limit that Beef is more protective of his plastic pet than he ever was of Molly, with regard to Gramma K..


I think it would have to do with that he respected Molly as being able to speak for herself (which Weldon can't really do, being a dog and all).
Title: 17-11-04 "I am the law, I am the lash!"
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on November 17, 2004, 07:12:50 pm
The way to make this an ideal Shakesperean tragedy would be to have Beef walk in on Pat killing Weldon. Beef snaps and kills Pat. At this point, as a total coincidence, Molly gives in and goes to see Beef. Beef, in a rage, thinks Molly sent Pat to kill Weldon because she was jealous. Beef kills Molly, realizes what he has done and in a total wave of guilt pushes his own reset button in his chest and kills himself.

Ray comes on the scene, horrified, and utters:

Quote


Nev'r before was there such a loss
Of these two lov'rs whose lives did cross
And with heavy head and grief-bound breast
We bring our tale of woe to rest.

Title: 17-11-04 "I am the law, I am the lash!"
Post by: AugustWest on November 17, 2004, 07:14:50 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I'm all for a literal interpretation.

In that last panel, he's obviously banging Gramma K.


You're a sick sick man.
Title: 17-11-04 "I am the law, I am the lash!"
Post by: Jay! on November 17, 2004, 07:25:33 pm
I haven't been around in a while (began to feel like a bit of a whelp), but when I saw this strip, I knew I had to comment.

It's beautiful, you're all beautiful, I love you all, I'm glad Beef has decided to become a man, etc.

Now I'm going to go back to having fever dreams.
Title: 17-11-04 "I am the law, I am the lash!"
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on November 17, 2004, 07:30:40 pm
Quote from: "Jay!"
I haven't been around in a while (began to feel like a bit of a whelp), but when I saw this strip, I knew I had to comment.

It's beautiful, you're all beautiful, I love you all, I'm glad Beef has decided to become a man, etc.

Now I'm going to go back to having fever dreams.



With burning brow and fev'red head
Adviséd you are to take to bed
Spare these urchins your presence
What you need is convalescence
With rest perhaps your life you save
Another meme now: Burma Shave
Title: 17-11-04 "I am the law, I am the lash!"
Post by: Acanthopagrus on November 18, 2004, 12:22:01 am
Quote from: "PinkStainlessTail"
Pat comes over to kill Beef.

Finds Gramma K. instead.

Romance blossoms.

/Karnac


The only thing that could be finer than this is if Lyle manages to get their first romantic interlude on video.

I think it is time for some cartoon porn. I am curious to see what Gramma K looks like in the nude.
Title: 17-11-04 "I am the law, I am the lash!"
Post by: AugustWest on November 18, 2004, 02:21:17 am
Quote from: "Acanthopagrus"
I am curious to see what Gramma K looks like in the nude.


[weeps]
Title: 17-11-04 "I am the law, I am the lash!"
Post by: V-Adore on November 18, 2004, 04:45:41 am
Man, has Gramma K ever been on camera in any capacity ever? Ever? I would prefer that our first image of not be in a Lyle Taco production, personally.

That said, Beef goes around naked a lot. Naked doesn't necessarily mean "bits showing."
Title: 17-11-04 "I am the law, I am the lash!"
Post by: CortJstr on November 18, 2004, 05:26:33 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Man, has Gramma K ever been on camera in any capacity ever? Ever? I would prefer that our first image of not be in a Lyle Taco production, personally.

That said, Beef goes around naked a lot. Naked doesn't necessarily mean "bits showing."

Well we've never seen Beef or Ray's moms either. But they should at least sag less.

I just assumed that when Beef is in his regular clothes we see him as a regular cat. It's only when he does something special with his hair or has on a DK shirt or something that Chris bothers drawing the clothes. Also, only Ray has nipples showing, which implies that Beef/Pat are wearing shirts.
Title: 17-11-04 "I am the law, I am the lash!"
Post by: Choop on November 18, 2004, 05:36:47 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Also, only Ray has nipples showing, which implies that Beef/Pat are wearing shirts.


Or maybe Ray has a shaving fetish, or Beef & Pat aren't neutered, and therefore had enough testosterone to prevent prominent nipples from developing.

How can we ever know? Corollary: Why might we want to?
Title: 17-11-04 "I am the law, I am the lash!"
Post by: Silverberg on November 18, 2004, 05:55:59 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Man, has Gramma K ever been on camera in any capacity ever? Ever? I would prefer that our first image of not be in a Lyle Taco production, personally.


Yes, we've sort of seen Gramma Kazenzakis. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06152004)

EDIT: Link de-borked -- V
Title: 17-11-04 "I am the law, I am the lash!"
Post by: jough on November 18, 2004, 06:25:35 am
He out-CJed CJ!

GASPO
Title: 17-11-04 "I am the law, I am the lash!"
Post by: Choop on November 18, 2004, 06:47:03 am
Yeah, but "Silverberged" is too cumbersome to catch on, so the verb itself isn't in any trouble.
Title: 17-11-04 "I am the law, I am the lash!"
Post by: jough on November 18, 2004, 07:10:15 am
Ah, I just re-read this one again and didn't notice at first that it was Gramma K who slammed her own door once Beef started gathering sack.

So that banging is just Beef banging on her door as he lays down the harsh.
Title: 17-11-04 "I am the law, I am the lash!"
Post by: Acanthopagrus on November 18, 2004, 07:59:39 am
I agree it looks like Beef banging on Gramma k's door,
but I know you all want it to be Pat banging on Gramma K.

Then Gramma K could move in with Pat and Molly could come home.
Title: 17-11-04 "I am the law, I am the lash!"
Post by: Silverberg on November 18, 2004, 04:17:23 pm
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Yeah, but "Silverberged" is too cumbersome to catch on, so the verb itself isn't in any trouble.


Berg'd, perhaps?
Title: 17-11-04 "I am the law, I am the lash!"
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on November 18, 2004, 04:53:50 pm
Quote from: "Silverberg"
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Yeah, but "Silverberged" is too cumbersome to catch on, so the verb itself isn't in any trouble.


Berg'd, perhaps?


I think the catch-all phrase should be AbnrmlJstr'ing