The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Turbo Ninja on November 19, 2004, 11:17:17 am
-
I think Samuel H. Invisible sends me spam offers for low mortgages and cheap drugs.
This Roast-Beef-as-karma-policeman line is satisfying. You go, Beef. You've been polite long enough.
-
I love the desperation you can hear in Beef's old song about Samuel. It's like, he just wanted to be happy about it, so it doesn't even rhyme or metre.
Anyway. I'm off to stay in a castle for the weekend. I put money on it being cold at least.
I've decided it's going to be my equivalent of the aging, floundering musician, going to somewhere out of the way to be able to write music.
-
Wow. This just gets better and better.
-
Wow. This just gets better and better.
I agree. Samuel H. Invisible just takes it to a whole new, awesome level.
-
Is Ray reading something that includes a picture of a guy with a tattoo on his ass cheek? Is he just casually viewing porn at the breakfast table?
-
Is Ray reading something that includes a picture of a guy with a tattoo on his ass cheek? Is he just casually viewing porn at the breakfast table?
Could be porn or just a magazine that features lots of tatooed guys like Rolling Stone or something.
But where was Beef's mom? He obviously knows her well enough to e-mail her (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09172002).
-
It's one thing to leave children in the care of Sam, but old folks need a little looking after. That having been said, fuck that old (cat) woman.
-
So, the issue totally ignored in this thread:
What precisely is the etymology of "grelicious?" Is it just a portmanteau of "great" and "delicious," or what?
-
It's kind of weird. I'd usually take Beef as singing the song without irony, but this is too close. "I've never seen a doctor?"
It seems like he's been feeding a grudge against Gramma K. for a looong while. If so, then this isn't much of a revelation/catharsis. It makes him sound sneakier and more craven than I "know" him to be.
I'll have to grind this one up for a bit.
-
I could have sang that part of the song as a kid. Strange, my folks were both educated, but there was this thing about going to the doctor. "Oh, just put a gauze pad on that. It'll stop bleeding." I have a surfeit of scars.
-
So, the issue totally ignored in this thread:
What precisely is the etymology of "grelicious?" Is it just a portmanteau of "great" and "delicious," or what?
Good, it's not just me. I'm always afraid that I'm just missing some obscure reference. I think that great and delicious is too easy. There's got to be a better explanation. Gree?
-
I could have sang that part of the song as a kid. Strange, my folks were both educated, but there was this thing about going to the doctor. "Oh, just put a gauze pad on that. It'll stop bleeding." I have a surfeit of scars.
Yeah, my dad's a doctor, and his entire medical advice to me was "Suck it up"; eventually, this became "Here, take some antibiotics, they might help."
-
Of course, by now I'm sure you've all realized that Beef is no longer punctuating.
Does this mean something?
-
I could have sang that part of the song as a kid. Strange, my folks were both educated, but there was this thing about going to the doctor. "Oh, just put a gauze pad on that. It'll stop bleeding." I have a surfeit of scars.
you only posted that so you could say "surfeit".
-
I spent most of my early childhood in one doctor's office or another; I wasn't accident-prone, but from ages about .5 to 10 I had one continuous, throbbing ear infection, one that could occasionally be sent into retreat but took forever to actually finish off. I suspect my parents spent more money on Ceclor and Amoxicillin than they'll ever spend on my education. I also somehow managed to spend the morning of my first Christmas in the emergency room, since I apparently woke up and was unable to move my head. (I just slept on my neck funny, turns out, but my parents always end the story with "thank GOD; we thought you had MENINGITIS.")
That said, I have a lot of friends who subscribe to the caveman approach to medicine. The best was a friend of mine last year who slashed open his hand with a boxcutter, and then, with total calmness, put a napkin over it and duct-taped the napkin in place. He had goddamn brass ones.
-
Of course, by now I'm sure you've all realized that Beef is no longer punctuating.
Does this mean something?
Given our paucity of experience with Beef using punctuation, we cannot say with certainty what conditions trigger vermisilitude on the part of Beef. Ergo, it would be folly to speculate on the causes of his reduced loquacity at present.
yeah, i just wanted to cram as many ten-cent words as i could into a couple sentences
-
I grew up in poor in NYC and I *never* got sick. Never went to the doctor after I was a toddler. Went to the dentist, hmmmm, twice. Never had a cavity until I was 19.
-
I haven't been to the dentist since I was three and that time was cause some teens stampeded over me in the mall thus my front teeth were hanging on by a thread. people told me to get braces later on, but I refused. they're still a bit crooked, but not horribly hideous, so eh.
I haven't been to a doctor since I got my last shot before 9th grade. I've never had a broken bone or needed stiches for anything. I was a careful kid. worst thing that happened to me was getting my fingers sucked up in a vent before I could even remember. there's a slight bit o' scar tissue, but barely visible now.
As for the comic.... mmmm egg sandwiches.. I used to have a fried egg on an english muffin in sandwich format long ago.. it's been awhile, but that sounds so good.
Beef looks like a puppet in the last panel... heh.
-
I grew up in poor in NYC and I *never* got sick. Never went to the doctor after I was a toddler. Went to the dentist, hmmmm, twice. Never had a cavity until I was 19.
You grew up in NYC and now you live in 'Bama? That's gotta be some serious culture shock. Care to comment?
-
I could have sang that part of the song as a kid. Strange, my folks were both educated, but there was this thing about going to the doctor. "Oh, just put a gauze pad on that. It'll stop bleeding." I have a surfeit of scars.
you only posted that so you could say "surfeit".
I thought about using myriad, but it's been so done.
-
I haven't been to the dentist since I was three and that time was cause some teens stampeded over me in the mall thus my front teeth were hanging on by a thread.
"You must be at least this tall to shop at the mall."
-
But where was Beef's mom? He obviously knows her well enough to e-mail her (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09172002).
hell, he used to live (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01282004) with her. i think the reference is to the fact that beef basically took care of himself, because everyone tasked to care for him was bascially useless.
-
Reading Friday's Achewood, I am struck with two stupid thoughts: 1) Samuel H. Invisible's acronym is "SHI", or the Japanese word for "death". Does this mean that Beef thinks that death will envelope Gramma K, "taking care of her"? And 2) Samuel sounds like "Samael", the Gnostic evil god of creation. Implying that perhaps Beef believes reality is a prison, perhaps reinforced by his frequent trips to Heaven.
Oh, and hi. First post and all.
-
The reason Samuel and Samael sound similar is because one means "Name of God" or "Named by God" and the other means "Venom of God". The name predates Gnosticism as an epithet for the accusing angel in the Book of Job. Perhaps this is symbolic of Roast Beef's endless trials through which he is sustained only by a possibly-unfounded faith in friendship. Or perhaps he feels that he is guilty of the same misconduct and abuse of what he has been given as the sons of the biblical Samuel.
Or maybe Samuel is just a common name that has a good rhythm to it.
-
You grew up in NYC and now you live in 'Bama? That's gotta be some serious culture shock. Care to comment?
Meh, it was a gradual transition. Born and lived in NYC until I was 12, then moved to live with my dad in Rockville, MD (right outside of D.C.). When I was 14 we moved to Cape Coral, FL and I lived there until I joined the Air Force at 19. The Air Force dropped me in Alabamastan, damn their eyes, and here I remain.
-
Reading Friday's Achewood, I am struck with two stupid thoughts: 1) Samuel H. Invisible's acronym is "SHI", or the Japanese word for "death". Does this mean that Beef thinks that death will envelope Gramma K, "taking care of her"? And 2) Samuel sounds like "Samael", the Gnostic evil god of creation. Implying that perhaps Beef believes reality is a prison, perhaps reinforced by his frequent trips to Heaven.
The reason Samuel and Samael sound similar is because one means "Name of God" or "Named by God" and the other means "Venom of God". The name predates Gnosticism as an epithet for the accusing angel in the Book of Job. Perhaps this is symbolic of Roast Beef's endless trials through which he is sustained only by a possibly-unfounded faith in friendship. Or perhaps he feels that he is guilty of the same misconduct and abuse of what he has been given as the sons of the biblical Samuel.
I like cartoon cats. Can I play with you?
-
Meh. I never much cared for Gnostics. Love their pans, though.