The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: AlohaDawg on November 23, 2004, 11:15:14 pm

Title: Can't help it - Apologies in advance
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 23, 2004, 11:15:14 pm
Arrrrrr you ready for some pirate jokes? (http://www.mcsweeneys.net/2000/06/14pirates.html?frk)
Title: Can't help it - Apologies in advance
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 24, 2004, 02:49:29 am
I loathe you.


Arrrrr.
Title: Can't help it - Apologies in advance
Post by: CortJstr on November 24, 2004, 03:07:31 am
McSweeney's? Get out the tweezers (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06302003) and lab coats, matey (http://images.google.com/images?q=pirate+keyboard&hl=en&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0)!
Title: Can't help it - Apologies in advance
Post by: V-Adore on November 24, 2004, 06:34:42 pm
Upon telling the "computational linguistics" joke to my SO, he replied that he expected it to be the geRRRRRRRRund. This sort of terrifies me on its face, really -- who comes up with an alternate answer to a Pirate Riddle for Sophisticates?
Title: Can't help it - Apologies in advance
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 24, 2004, 07:20:26 pm
I would have thought he would have favored counting ARRRRRRRticles.
Title: Can't help it - Apologies in advance
Post by: Nabubrush on November 25, 2004, 02:51:53 am
I still don't see the pirate draw. I heard a couple of guys doing a little pirate shtick on the bus the other day. I just never really got into it. Is there some root cause (recently) that sort of made it blow up like it has? Because it seems to be really popular with the internet population (for lack of a better descriptor).
Title: Can't help it - Apologies in advance
Post by: CortJstr on November 25, 2004, 04:31:31 am
I was at a restaurant a few months ago and the waiter asked which we thought were better, ninjas or pirates. Apparently the staff was arguing the point and decided to poll the customers.

I obviously picked ninjas.
Title: Can't help it - Apologies in advance
Post by: slink on November 25, 2004, 02:14:47 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"

I obviously picked ninjas.


Every time!
Title: Can't help it - Apologies in advance
Post by: Nabubrush on November 25, 2004, 03:15:33 pm
Ninjas I can understand. I need to be eating at restaurants like that.
Title: Can't help it - Apologies in advance
Post by: CortJstr on November 25, 2004, 03:34:27 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Ninjas I can understand. I need to be eating at restaurants like that.

Indeed. When's the last time anybody ordered food from a Pirate Burger? No pirate could match the Ninja Burger (http://www.ninjaburger.com/) guarantee: no matter where you are, you'll get your order, hot and tasty, in 30 minutes or less. Guaranteed, or we commit seppuku.
Title: Can't help it - Apologies in advance
Post by: andalucia on November 25, 2004, 05:26:18 pm
Dunno, I dig pirates.  It's the skull-and-crossbone factor.  I'm never wearing less than one article of clothing with skulls on it (thanks to my Vision Streetwear skull sneakers).  
Skull-adorned things are getting very trendy of late, but for me it started when I was a kid interested in Jose Posada (http://www.carnaval.com/dead/posada.htm).
Title: Can't help it - Apologies in advance
Post by: Nabubrush on November 26, 2004, 01:25:55 am
The OG's. (http://www.misfits.com/)
Title: Can't help it - Apologies in advance
Post by: andalucia on November 26, 2004, 04:33:55 am
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
The OG's. (http://www.misfits.com/)


nooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Title: Can't help it - Apologies in advance
Post by: Nabubrush on November 26, 2004, 11:15:20 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
The OG's. (http://www.misfits.com/)


nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Interesting, no, that they put out
Quote from: "andalucia"
Vision Streetwear skull sneakers. (http://www.cinderblock.com/wc.dll?WebStore~ViewItem~MIS~MSF-VSW6~SID=04112615184055120930)

?
I'm guessing these aren't the ones you own?
Title: Can't help it - Apologies in advance
Post by: andalucia on November 26, 2004, 11:22:08 pm
Oh,  nope.  I didn't know those existed, although the Misfits have succeeded in puttin their logo on damn near everything else, which is one of the reasons I think they are so lame.  I can't find a picture of my shoes exactly, but they're a low-top version of the "punk skull" shoes here (http://www.oldschoolskateboards.net/shoe-canvas.htm).
Title: Can't help it - Apologies in advance
Post by: Nabubrush on November 26, 2004, 11:28:06 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Oh,  nope.  I didn't know those existed, although the Misfits have succeeded in puttin their logo on damn near everything else, which is one of the reasons I think they are so lame.  I can't find a picture of my shoes exactly, but they're a low-top version of the "punk skull" shoes here (http://www.oldschoolskateboards.net/shoe-canvas.htm).

They have, in some respects, attempted to maximize their exposure in order to increase revenue, it is true. I'm more of a "Little Glendon"-era Misfits fan, of course.
Title: Can't help it - Apologies in advance
Post by: jough on November 27, 2004, 02:57:24 am
Oh my god, I had forgotten all about Vision Street Wear.  I used to own a pair of these back when I used to skate a lot:

(http://www.oldschoolskateboards.net/oldClothing/shoe-RedCanvas.jpg)
Title: Can't help it - Apologies in advance
Post by: slink on November 27, 2004, 05:25:02 am
Quote from: "jough"
Oh my god, I had forgotten all about Vision Street Wear.  I used to own a pair of these back when I used to skate a lot:


Cripes. I'm amazed at what I used to skate in (regular trainers). Now I hate even walking in anything less than my lovely Globes.
Plus it lets me yell 'Hey, check out my Globes' lots.

(http://slink.canadian-studies.net/globes.jpg)
Title: Can't help it - Apologies in advance
Post by: jough on November 27, 2004, 07:00:03 am
I'm assuming Globes are a hip and/or trendy brand of trainers/sneakers?
Title: Can't help it - Apologies in advance
Post by: slink on November 27, 2004, 02:09:52 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I'm assuming Globes are a hip and/or trendy brand of trainers/sneakers?


I don't know about hip and trendy. Not that many people have them over here which is a part of why I like them. They are skat shoes though, and these ones are designed by Rodney Mullen. He's a freestyle skater - less of the straight street/vert stuff, and more like freestyle BMX but on a board. He sickens me! But anyway, they are ncredibly comfortable, and I wouldn't skate in anything less. Which probably means I ought go and skate again.
Title: Can't help it - Apologies in advance
Post by: Nabubrush on November 27, 2004, 04:38:50 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
I didn't know those existed, although the Misfits have succeeded in puttin their logo on damn near everything else, which is one of the reasons I think they are so lame.

Quote from: "slink"
I don't know about hip and trendy. Not that many people have them over here which is a part of why I like them.

Danger . . . danger . . .
Title: Can't help it - Apologies in advance
Post by: AugustWest on November 27, 2004, 07:28:24 pm
Quote from: "slink"
They are skat shoes...


Ewwwwww!
Title: Can't help it - Apologies in advance
Post by: slink on November 27, 2004, 09:46:54 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "slink"
They are skat shoes...


Ewwwwww!



DOHETH!
But hey, it saves making sure I walk round the dog crap on the way to my car!
Badoom ch'.
Title: Hate to bring this away from shoes and back to Pirates...
Post by: Skillator on January 06, 2005, 07:49:12 pm
Where I live we have a classy little burger chain called White Spot and their kids meal is called a Pirate pack. It comes in a boat with a chocolate coin, ice cream and your other food. It's truly awesome and for a kid growing up it kicks a ninja burgers against the wall, shoots it with a musket and leaves it to the sharks in briny deep any day.