The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: AugustWest on November 24, 2004, 05:27:27 am

Title: Eugene V. Debs
Post by: AugustWest on November 24, 2004, 05:27:27 am
St. Zartan, if you're lurking out there, show yourself.  

We've been over this already.
Title: Eugene V. Debs
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 24, 2004, 09:44:27 pm
This comes as a double nonsequitor to me...What does a 19th Century union founder and labor activist have to do with Zart?

At first I thought maybe you meant Eustace K Dobs, but no one who was on jeopardy would make that mistake...right? So what gives?
Title: Eugene V. Debs
Post by: CortJstr on November 24, 2004, 09:59:03 pm
Personally I would've gone with Ric "Whooooo!" Flair.
Title: Eugene V. Debs
Post by: AugustWest on November 25, 2004, 02:09:30 am
I thought it was the kind of non-seqitur that Zart would like.  It's like a lure...  He comes sniffing around and wonders why the hell there's a thread on Eugene V. Debs, opens it up and WHAMMO! We've got him.
Title: Eugene V. Debs
Post by: Anonymous on November 30, 2004, 10:49:31 am
i have a cat named Eugene V. Debs
Title: Eugene V. Debs
Post by: Nabubrush on November 30, 2004, 05:51:43 pm
Quote from: "Anonymous"
i have a cat named Eugene V. Debs


Wow - this doesn't happen very often. I didn't even realize it was possible.
Title: Eugene V. Debs
Post by: CortJstr on November 30, 2004, 06:07:58 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "Anonymous"
i have a cat named Eugene V. Debs

Wow - this doesn't happen very often. I didn't even realize it was possible.

It's not anymore and only was possible for about a week. It was a minor error that's been fixed.

Screw you guests! Register like the rest of us!
Title: Eugene V. Debs
Post by: Nabubrush on November 30, 2004, 06:53:39 pm
Thanks, CJ. I was starting to be a little doubtful about how on top of things I am.
Title: Eugene V. Debs
Post by: AugustWest on November 30, 2004, 07:15:18 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "Anonymous"
i have a cat named Eugene V. Debs


Wow - this doesn't happen very often. I didn't even realize it was possible.


Dang, where do you live?  Around here you can name your cat whatever you want.
Title: Eugene V. Debs
Post by: Nabubrush on November 30, 2004, 08:46:47 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I don't think anyone is angry


WRONG! I'm as mad as hell...

and I'm not going to take it anymore.


Your ridiculing of my place of residence is starting to make me angry.

At least I don't live in Sweden. (http://www.ogren.org/SwedishSurnames.htm)
Title: Eugene V. Debs
Post by: AugustWest on November 30, 2004, 09:27:49 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I don't think anyone is angry


WRONG! I'm as mad as hell...

and I'm not going to take it anymore.


Your ridiculing of my place of residence is starting to make me angry.

At least I don't live in Sweden. (http://www.ogren.org/SwedishSurnames.htm)


Sorry, Dude.  

That Swedish article is great.  It's like the Mark/Dave/Steve syndrome to another order of magnitude.  What does a Swedish elementary school teacher do when she has four Sven Nilssons in the class?  The old "Jennifer S. and Jennifer W." trick doesn't work.  Plus, the Swedes have a reputation for being somewhat physically homogenous (i.e. tall and blond), so you couldn't say blond Sven and tall Sven.  Do they give them numbers?  Brand them?  Far out.
Title: Eugene V. Debs
Post by: Nabubrush on November 30, 2004, 09:47:52 pm
I was just kidding, AW. When I went looking for that, I was vaguely remembering somewhere that made prospective parents pick their child's first name from a list. You could not name your child whatever you wanted. I could have sworn it was in Europe somewhere, but that was the best I could do.

And as far as the other deal, it just struck me after that post that I didn't remember seeing any anony-posters here before.
Title: Eugene V. Debs
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 30, 2004, 10:42:09 pm
Get this topic back on 19th Century labor union organizers or management will be locking you out.
Title: Eugene V. Debs
Post by: Bozack on November 30, 2004, 10:43:54 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Get this topic back on 19th Century labor union organizers or managment will be locking you out.


Actually, if anyone wants ti read a really awesome book that deals with the labor movement (although in the early 20th century), check out "The 42 Parallel," by John Dos Passos. It's the first of his USA trilogy.
THAT BOOK!
Title: Eugene V. Debs
Post by: Nabubrush on November 30, 2004, 10:46:56 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Get this topic back on 19th Century labor union organizers or management will be locking you out.

I so enjoy reading posts like this and visualizing them as words coming out of your avatar's mouth, that dog all with Bozack's lady, and Jough as a little kid, sitting in an Algonquin round table setting.
Title: Eugene V. Debs
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 30, 2004, 10:55:05 pm
The Dog needs a cigar. I think y'all  have lifted this discourse about as high as it can go. Good work.