The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Bozack on November 24, 2004, 06:23:01 am

Title: When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
Post by: Bozack on November 24, 2004, 06:23:01 am
Hey, what're all of you American board-members doing for Thanksgiving? As I am currently shoving shit into a backpack so I can make a 6 am flight from JFK, this is currently on my mind. I'm heading back to old Ky, for a family thanksgiving, the happiness of which depends entirely on: a)whether my mom's facial reconstruction surgery went well, and b)whether my one-legged, psychopathic pseudo-uncle who insists we call him "Stumpy" comes by. There's nothing like being home for the holidays!
Title: When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 24, 2004, 01:26:47 pm
Goin' to the in-laws out in the country.  Gonna eat turkey, watch football, try to get other relatives to watch my daughter for five goddamned minutes, and try not to let my being colossally bored show too much.
Title: When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
Post by: CortJstr on November 24, 2004, 01:52:21 pm
Driving a half-hour to my parents. Eating salmon and probably beef. Maybe playing some Five Crowns. Then concerts.
Title: When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
Post by: AugustWest on November 24, 2004, 01:54:56 pm
Going to my parents.  Both my Dad's sisters are coming and my brother is coming up too.

I'm grilling a turkey tomorrow in the a.m.'s.  Making my trademark sweet potatoes tonight and Susan Stamberg's cranberry relish.  As with all family gatherings where my wife and mother are involved there will be a)way too much food and b) lots of champagne.
Title: When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
Post by: andalucia on November 24, 2004, 02:05:29 pm
1.   Waiting for my American friends to come back home so we can huddle outside an arena waiting for the Pixies show.  
2.   Pixies.  
3.   Pixies afterparty; god bless you school-paper press passes.

Turkey?   Who needs it.
Title: When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
Post by: sjlimmer on November 24, 2004, 02:38:17 pm
My SO has to go in to work for a few hours in the morning (why yes, her job does suck ass, thanks for asking), so my plan is to have most everything started by the time she comes home.  I'll be brining the turkey breast tonight (no need for two people to eat a whole bird, and one of us only eats the white meat anyway), and I should probably make the onion rolls and bleu cheese dressing as well.  Then, tomorrow afternoon will be filled with much eating, drinking, and probably some video-watching.

Family-free is the Thanksgiving for me.
Title: When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
Post by: side_show on November 24, 2004, 03:10:23 pm
I'm Canadian, so we already had Thanksgiving.

For fun, when friends tell me "Happy Thanksgiving" I oft retort: "Have fun celebrating the raping and pillaging of my people!"  It always gets a laugh - if you can't have a sense of humour about the arrival of genocidal maniacs, who can you have a sense of humour about, eh?  

I actually love celebrating the harvest, coming together, sharing, eating and spending time with family.  This year was an especially nice Thanksgiving as I had my own little harvest this year from the garden we built: Wax Beans, Tomatoes and Spaghetti Squash (14 Squash!!)
Title: When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
Post by: Va on November 24, 2004, 03:18:30 pm
My dad is driving up from Florida for a visit.  We're having Thanksgiving dinner on Saturday so that my best friend and her fella can join us.  I'm making Ruuuude Chicken, smashed potatoes with roasted garlic, green beans, cornbread, and pumpkin cheesecake.
Title: When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
Post by: slink on November 24, 2004, 03:28:18 pm
I can't even remember what day it is. Today? 24th?
Maybe going round to a mate's house to steal things off him. Probably playing Half Life 2. I know we dont even have it in this country, but it amuses me since I'd be doing the exact same thing were I to live in the US.
Title: When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
Post by: side_show on November 24, 2004, 03:45:31 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Maybe going round to a mate's house to steal things off him.


So for you today will be Thanks-taking day.  Steal me up somethin' good will ya?
Title: When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
Post by: Limmo on November 24, 2004, 05:43:26 pm
Restaurant with my wife's family.  Her dad broke his leg in a stupid basketball-related snafu, and we STILL don't have a goddamned stove, so someone else will be doing the cooking, and we will pay them for it.
Title: When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
Post by: V-Adore on November 24, 2004, 06:32:06 pm
I'm at my SO's place in Boston, wherein we will have a semi-big family dinner with his folks and then spend the rest of the week doing nothing of particular interest. A good time, and preferably lots of sleep, will be had by all.

My parents are taking a road trip through the South, I think; when they called, they were in Alabama. I'm not totally sure why.
Title: When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
Post by: arkabee on November 24, 2004, 07:15:15 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"

My parents are taking a road trip through the South, I think; when they called, they were in Alabama. I'm not totally sure why.


Alabama: Come Visit, We Have Roads!


deep-fried whole turkey
to counter repressed feelings.
also burned rolls, too.
Title: When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 24, 2004, 07:18:38 pm
Quote from: "slink"
I can't even remember what day it is. Today? 24th?
Maybe going round to a mate's house to steal things off him. Probably playing Half Life 2. I know we dont even have it in this country, but it amuses me since I'd be doing the exact same thing were I to live in the US.


It's always the fourth thursday of November.

We always have a giant potluck at Church, about 75 people, several turkeys, a ham, lots and lots of vegetables and side dishes, tons of desserts. It's excellent.

Then I think we'll go see National Treasure.
Title: When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
Post by: jough on November 24, 2004, 08:13:51 pm
Did you like "The Davinci Code"?  Because National Treasure has the same plot, only with clues on the dollar bill (never mind that the current dollar was designed last century and not by the founding fathers) instead of DaVinci works.
Title: When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 24, 2004, 08:34:34 pm
I liked it as a story but I don't assign any religious meaning to it. I think all the people who are taking The DaVinci code really seriously are really in need of some guidance.

Also, just for the sake of the "Thanksgiving argument", here's a little Thanksgiving somethin'-somethin' from the right:
(do not assume I am in 100% agreement)

Quote from: "Jonah Goldberg"

THANKSGIVING

It's my favorite holiday, I think. It's without a doubt my favorite American Holiday. I love Christmastime, Chanukah etc. But Thanksgiving is as close as we get to a nationalist holiday in America (a country where nationalism as a concept doesn't really fit). Thanksgiving's roots are pre-founding, which means its not a political holiday in any conventional sense. We are giving thanks for the soil, the land, for the gifts of providence which were bequeathed to us long before we figured out our political system.

Moreover, because there are no gifts, the holiday isn't nearly so vulnerable to materialism and commercialism. It's about things -- primarily family and private accomplishments and blessings -- that don't overlap very much with politics of any kind. We are thankful for the truly important things: our children and their health, for our friends, for the things which make life rich and joyful.
As for all the stuff about killing Indians and whatnot, I can certainly understand why Indians might have some ambivalence about the holiday (though I suspect many do not). The sad -- and fortunate -- truth is that the European conquest of North America was an unremarkable old world event (one tribe defeating another tribe and taking their land; happened all the time) which ushered in a gloriously hopeful new age for humanity.

America remains the last best hope for mankind. Still, I think it would be silly to deny how America came to be, but the truth makes me no less grateful that America did come to be.
 
Also, I really, really like the food.
Title: When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
Post by: Nabubrush on November 25, 2004, 02:41:25 am
I'll be working from six am to six pm (hopefully off early to watch some football). I will have turkey and stuffing and every other traditional food, because they do that up big here. I am inordinately thankful that I won't be home for the family thing, and my wife has made it pretty clear that she wishes she was in my shoes.
Title: When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
Post by: wombat on November 25, 2004, 01:33:53 pm
We are about to leave to stay in an inn and eat in a restaurant, by which I probably mean, spend the whole day in traffic and remember why we never leave town on Thanksgiving.
Title: When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
Post by: AugustWest on November 25, 2004, 03:47:49 pm
The turkey's on the grill, the cranberry salad is frozen and I've already been to the Kroj to get the eggs I forgot.  Macy's parade is on the tube.  I think I'll go fill the bird feeders and give the boids a Thanksgiving feast.
Title: When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
Post by: Nabubrush on November 25, 2004, 04:48:07 pm
Is it a coincidence that this topic came up as http://achewood.plagiarist.com/posting.php?mode=reply&t=1492? I know, I know, Columbus vs. the pilgrims, apples and oranges, but they are at least tangentially connected.
Title: When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
Post by: jough on November 25, 2004, 05:17:38 pm
As usual, I will be having Chinese food in celebration of yet another race that got boned by American industrialisation.

Happy General Tso's Chicken Day, everyone!
Title: When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 25, 2004, 07:58:03 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Is it a coincidence that this topic came up as http://achewood.plagiarist.com/posting.php?mode=reply&t=1492? I know, I know, Columbus vs. the pilgrims, apples and oranges, but they are at least tangentially connected.


That is slightly funky; it would be funkier if it were #1620.
Title: When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
Post by: V-Adore on November 25, 2004, 11:03:23 pm
Just finished the dessert course of a lovely dinner with SO and family. I am feeling very mellow, blessed, and loved, although that may just be the tryptophan. I hope that everyone else had an equally joyous holiday.
Title: When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
Post by: Nabubrush on November 26, 2004, 12:54:33 am
just got off work. I didn't get to see any ball because there were only five minutes left or so. I'm sure there will be an ass-load of food downstairs. Everyone be thankful for the accident of birth that made you an American (if, indeed, you are one).
Title: When Pilgrims Roamed the Earth
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 26, 2004, 04:31:26 am
Just got back from the big thanksgiving potluck. Like 40 different dishes, roasted turkey, pit-cooked turkey, several hams, lots of side dishes and I brought coffee jello which the brave did try and they liked it.

Ark, there's instructions in the Knox box that will give you the correct proportions to pretty much make Bertie Botts Any Flavor Jello. So go nuts.