The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: AlohaDawg on November 24, 2004, 08:41:15 pm

Title: Breakthroughs
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 24, 2004, 08:41:15 pm
Can it really be this easy to get a patent? (http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-round24.html)

Your responses, please, but also links to other great inventions but staggering geniuses like this one.
Title: Breakthroughs
Post by: Va on November 24, 2004, 08:49:59 pm
I wouldn't have believed my opinion of "intellectual property" could have gotten any lower, but it just did.
Title: Breakthroughs
Post by: wombat on November 24, 2004, 11:21:38 pm
Yes! It is! (http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6,368,227.WKU.&OS=PN/6,368,227&RS=PN/6,368,227)
Title: Breakthroughs
Post by: CortJstr on November 24, 2004, 11:27:52 pm
Reminds me of the company that held a patent on hyperlinks and wanted to sue the world over their misuse. I belive this was BT (the telephone company, not the techno artist).
Title: Breakthroughs
Post by: slink on November 25, 2004, 12:49:14 am
There's some guy who recently claimed he has the patent on 3d virtual worlds or some such, essentially claiming that every 3d video game since 198x is breaking his patent.
I severely doubt anything will come of this, considering he waited this long. It is obviously just a  misuse of patents. Unfortunately, most patents are a misuse of patents, in terms of what they were originally intended for. Similarly, all this RIAA shit about copyrights - that is NOT WHAT THEY WERE FOR!
Gah.
Title: Breakthroughs
Post by: andalucia on November 25, 2004, 05:44:10 pm
Quote from: "That first article"
By packaging them individually, Esparza said, they are safer than square paper towels on a roll.


Huh?
I mean, yesterday morning, my coffee mug imploded and left me covered in hot coffee and bleeding profusely from three places on my face, but I've still never felt menaced by square paper towels on a roll.
Title: Breakthroughs
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 25, 2004, 07:55:09 pm
I had this same reaction...how are standard rolls of paper towels dangerous? And if they are, given the application, wouldn't toilet paper offer similar dangers to more sensitive places?
Title: Breakthroughs
Post by: Nabubrush on November 26, 2004, 12:47:16 am
I don't know about you, but I always make sure to sit so I am facing the paper towel dispenser.
Title: Breakthroughs
Post by: Bozack on November 26, 2004, 01:25:21 am
Quote from: "andalucia"

Huh?
I mean, yesterday morning, my coffee mug imploded and left me covered in hot coffee and bleeding profusely from three places on my face, but I've still never felt menaced by square paper towels on a roll.


Wait, you're not serious, right?
....
I must not think bad thoughts, I must not think bad thoughts, coffee is my friend, coffee is my friend
Title: Breakthroughs
Post by: AugustWest on November 26, 2004, 02:23:05 am
You'll put your eye out, kid!
Title: Breakthroughs
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 26, 2004, 04:28:56 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "andalucia"

Huh?
I mean, yesterday morning, my coffee mug imploded and left me covered in hot coffee and bleeding profusely from three places on my face, but I've still never felt menaced by square paper towels on a roll.


Wait, you're not serious, right?
....
I must not think bad thoughts, I must not think bad thoughts, coffee is my friend, coffee is my friend


If there was a microwave involved I've read about why this happens. A superheated liquid inside a smooth. fault-free surface with no place for the bubbles to form can explode (expand rapidly) when touched or moved. I've never heard of the cup actually exploding, too though. Was there a lid on it?
Title: Breakthroughs
Post by: andalucia on November 26, 2004, 04:36:34 am
Coffee was microwaved, yes, but not with a lid.  I wish I knew how it happened, but since it was before the actual ingestion of said coffee, my cognitive faculties were somewhat lacking.

But yeah.  My face is visibly cut up and stuff and I am so terribly perplexed.  Coffee and I are still friends though.
Title: Breakthroughs
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 26, 2004, 04:42:26 am
Microwave Coffee Explosion (http://amasci.com/weird/microexp.html#coffee)

Also lots of other interesting things to do with someone else's microwave, like create ball lightning.
Title: Breakthroughs
Post by: Bozack on November 26, 2004, 08:48:02 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
But yeah.  My face is visibly cut up and stuff and I am so terribly perplexed.  Coffee and I are still friends though.


That really sucks, but thank God you weren't heating a mug of hazardous chemicals, or you could be Daredevil right now.
Title: Breakthroughs
Post by: V-Adore on November 26, 2004, 06:26:11 pm
Man, and I thought managing to shatter a beaker in my hand during the last Chemistry lab this week was an unpleasant shard-related injury. (I managed to walk away with two tiny hand cuts, but they were deep enough that they bled like stuck pigs all the way to the Health Center.)
Title: Breakthroughs
Post by: andalucia on November 26, 2004, 07:17:47 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
they bled like stuck pigs all the way to the Health Center


That is an awesome image, meaning you going to the Health Center with pigs stuck in your hand.
Title: Breakthroughs
Post by: slink on November 26, 2004, 08:56:23 pm
Ack. Glad it wasn't worse.
Thank you though, for at least proving to me that my, at one time irrational fear of microwaving coffee is well founded. I have known of microwaves superheating things for years*, and so every time I saw someone stick their coffee in the microwave I'd whine and hide.


*It's the kind of thing my mother has a similar fear of, and she imparted the info when I was about 7 or 8. She used to hate making tablet, in fear of the sugar superheating, though I fully understand why. At least coffee doesn't stick to the skin so.

[edit: unfrelled his UBB code so it displayed right - Cort]
Title: Breakthroughs
Post by: CortJstr on November 26, 2004, 09:23:47 pm
As long as you leave a stirrer or chopstick in the cup you'll be fine. Especially if it's wood.
Title: Breakthroughs
Post by: Nabubrush on November 26, 2004, 11:03:09 pm
Quote from: "slink"
She used to hate making tablet, in fear of the sugar superheating, though I fully understand why.

Mmm sorry, tablet? I was almost certain that was just a strange-looking word that I'd recognize once it was normal-sized, but no. What exactly is this in reference to?
Title: Breakthroughs
Post by: jough on November 26, 2004, 11:13:32 pm
Man, I nuke the shit out of coffee all the time, boil water in a glass measuring cup and then add sugar and/or honey to it, etc.  I've never had a break and/or explosion.
Title: Breakthroughs
Post by: Nabubrush on November 26, 2004, 11:24:48 pm
I've read about the nucleation site deal before. I've had problems with microwaves before as it is. I once put a plastic (travel) mug in a microwave, and watched as it burst into flame after about 30 seconds.
Title: Breakthroughs
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 26, 2004, 11:40:12 pm
It's been a few days, anyone make the ball lightning yet?
Title: Breakthroughs
Post by: Nabubrush on November 26, 2004, 11:49:27 pm
Quote from: "William J. Beaty"
Just remember to shut it down before the advancing "lava flow" runs to the bottom of your oven and burns off the paint. Obviously this is somewhat dangerous as a demo. If you don't already know the hazards (such as trapped internal strains and high-velocity shrapnel), then messing with this procedure would be extremely Unwise.

No shit?
Title: Breakthroughs
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 27, 2004, 12:51:39 am
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "slink"
She used to hate making tablet, in fear of the sugar superheating, though I fully understand why.

Mmm sorry, tablet? I was almost certain that was just a strange-looking word that I'd recognize once it was normal-sized, but no. What exactly is this in reference to?


I finally had to look this up. It's a traditional Scottish sweet (sounds rather fine, too)

Tablet Recipe (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?p=29401#29401) in the appropriate forum.
Title: Breakthroughs
Post by: Nabubrush on November 27, 2004, 01:02:47 am
I thought about looking it up, but I just enjoy the personal touch that asking provides. That having been said, it sounds delicious but a bit of work.