The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Flenker on August 01, 2003, 04:21:04 pm
-
Well this topic looks so sad and empty, I thought I'd use it to have my first post on this glorious new board. Of course, I only had about 2 posts on the old one, but this is a new beginning, which means something, I'm sure... I just can't think of it now.
So without further ado, what are everyone's favorite movies? I will list mine, in no particular order
The Godfather I and II
The Royal Tenenbaums
High Fidelity
As Good As it Gets
Roman Holiday
The Seventh Seal
-
Well, I'll miss out loads probably, but yea no particular order...
Fight Club
Grosse Pointe Blank
Goodfellas
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
City of Lost Children
OK those are only the ones I could find here, there are loads more, older films etc that I'd class too.
[edited because I forgot to put High Fidelity on my list, having just watched it again, despite it being mentioned in the first post. Maybe I undermined it somehow in my head!?]
-
Gotta have a python movie in the list somewhere.
Pink Floyd's The Wall maybe.
Awakenings
Dead poets society
White Christmas
The Court Jester(gotta love Danny Kaye)
Planet of the Apes(especially the ending all pounding the sand with his fists)
-
I'm going with
Blazing Saddles
Safe Men
The Goonies
Ghostbusters
It's a Wonderful Life
Young Frankenstein
Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid
-
Man, it's remarkably hard to make a list of my favorite movies that are actually good, but it's a lot easier to do "guilty pleasures/'wait, I don't think I'm supposed to like this'" movies:
Fifth Element
(Kids in the Hall's) Brain Candy
Manos: Hands of Fate
Mystery Men
the South Park movie
I will confess to having once enjoyed "Bio-Dome," but I was severely sleep-deprived at the time.
-
I agree with many that have mentioned. Let me add a few:
Patton
Lawrence of Arabia
Pulp Fiction
Night on Earth
Best in Show
Animal House
Office Space
Brazil
-
Probably in some sort of subconsciously telling order:
Seven Samurai
The Godfather
Rushmore
Rashomon
Mulholland Dr.
Vertigo
Deconstructing Harry
Die Hard
-
Man, it's remarkably hard to make a list of my favorite movies that are actually good, but it's a lot easier to do "guilty pleasures/'wait, I don't think I'm supposed to like this'" movies:
Fifth Element
(Kids in the Hall's) Brain Candy
Manos: Hands of Fate
Mystery Men
the South Park movie
I will confess to having once enjoyed "Bio-Dome," but I was severely sleep-deprived at the time.
Please tell me you mean the MST3K version of Manos: The Hands of Fate.
(Aside: I once saw a car with plates that said TORGO. That was hilarious)
-
Please tell me you mean the MST3K version of Manos: The Hands of Fate.
(Aside: I once saw a car with plates that said TORGO. That was hilarious)
When I happened across the Manos Diner in Elmira, New York, I crowed my delight as I whipped into a u-turn. No Torgo, though, everyone was pretty average. Food was pretty good, too.
The trip later to the restroom--not so good.
-
Manos: Hands of Fate
Please tell me you mean the MST3K version of Manos: The Hands of Fate.
(Aside: I once saw a car with plates that said TORGO. That was hilarious)
The MST version is a non-guilty pleasure. But, well... there's a part of my heart that has affection for a movie made on about ten bucks and with a cast of earnest no-talent "actors" that, yes, is a flaming train wreck of a film, but a flaming train wreck filled with kittens. I can't get too angry at it.
(Further aside: I have a friend whose private secret goal, his equivalent to Beef and Ray's rap company, is to write a script for a modern Manos remake. I'm not sure how to feel about the whole concept.)
-
There's a cool site that allows you to list your favourite films and have people post comments about your list. The things people comment on is actually pretty hilarious:
YMMV (http://www.ymdb.com/user_top20_view.asp?usersid=7020)
Oops! - Fixed the link.
-
damn, did TOUAMB slashdot the link you half-posted already, jough? 403.9 error, too many connections to server!
-
Oh! that's right! Favorite movies! In no order!
The Princess Bride (yay andre)
Shadow of the Vampire (all hail willem dafoe)
Gauge - Babysitter_3.wmv (indie short)
Toto, le Hero (fr., sp?)
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (anything by gilliam)
Bottle Rocket (tlm!)
Dancer in the Dark (bjork!)
-
damn, did TOUAMB slashdot the link you half-posted already, jough? 403.9 error, too many connections to server!
ymdb.com is a pretty busy site. Just force reload after a few seconds.
-
citizen kane
aliens
grosse pointe blank
blade runner (original version)
duck soup
dolemite II: the human tornado (original version)
office space
dazed and confused
crouching tiger hidden dragon
goodfellas
this is spinal tap
-
Oh yea, I completely forgot Blade Runner, and Office Space. Ridley Scott destroyed BR with his directors cut. It was a noir movie, and he took that way from it, and have it a nasty ending, all glib and obvious! Bleah!
-
Oh yea, I completely forgot Blade Runner, and Office Space. Ridley Scott destroyed BR with his directors cut. It was a noir movie, and he took that way from it, and have it a nasty ending, all glib and obvious! Bleah!
I just hate it because of the extra unicorn shot, which is supposed to make it clear that Deckard is a replicant. Stupid.
-
I just bought the super special event packed Python Holy Grail because I could (and couldn't live without it).
I rented it a couple of months ago. It was great. I'm going to buy it. I promise. As God as my witness, I swear to you that I will own this DVD. Someday.
Until then, I'll be watching. Watching and waiting. Waiting and watching. and going to work, most days.
-
In the guilty pleasures category I'd have to through out The Jerk and Strange Brew.
Caddyshack is in there but I just don't feel guilty about that.
Rear Window is aces, and On the Waterfront has always fascinated me.
I just bought the super special event packed Python Holy Grail because I could (and couldn't live without it).
Oh, this will save me lots of time and energy, because I won't have to post to threads like this, because Asherdan will always be at least as cool as me and will be here first. Good lord, first GBH and now Jerk, Strange Brew, Caddyshack.
Well, Big Sleep, Casablanca (you can't not like it), Barton Fink, Hard Boiled, and Sid & Nancy - but only just this minute.
-
Well, Big Sleep, Casablanca (you can't not like it), Barton Fink, Hard Boiled, and Sid & Nancy - but only just this minute.
Oh yea, I forgot to mention Barton Fink - wonderful film. And in many ways most of the other earlier Coen Brothers. I liked Oh Brother... but it wasn't the same as any before it.
And I just watched Amelie again. Stunning film. One of the few films, like Apocalypse Now, where every single second of every shot is artistically stunning. Thing is, if you are terribly averse to foreign films, especially French cinema, I wouldn't bother trying it. Try City of Lost Children first. Damn another one for the list.
Man there are too many great films, I never remember them all!
-
What are these moving picture shows of which you speak?
-
they're these new things in which you go to a theatre, and for two bits you see a news reel, the latest talkie, and have some change for a buttered air popped corn and a nice cool lemonade.
-
The theater by my house serves beer. We were trashed by the end of LOTR.
I don't see many movies. I hate them. I just can't sit still that long. I keep thinking of all the housework I'm not doing.
Oddly, that doesn't happen when I'm on the internet.
-
beer, in a theater? amazing!
which reminds me of a movie, bringing this back on topic. Ghost World is another awesome movie. (I was reminded because of the scene where she's working in the movie theater, and the customer asks for a beer or something.... yeah)
also, I can't believe I left Annie Hall and Manhattan off of my list. Woody Allen is one of my favorite directors, I could probably dedicate an entire topic to his films.
-
Thought of some more:
The Stoned Age (The Schnappster -- DING!)
Slacker
Under the Volcano
His Gal Friday
The Manchurian Candidate ('bout the only thing Sinatra ever did that I liked)
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Little Big Man (the book is even better)
Up in Smoke
-
See I avoided Ghost World under the If It Needs That Much Advertising It Can't Be Good law of media suckery. Sadly, I failed to take into account that most of this advertising was non-traditional and in places like EMusic.
Also, the 2nd-run theatre by me is one of those new fangled dinner theatres with beer and hamburgers.
-
"Big Man On Campus"
a rare/hard to find quasimodo like fluffy treat
-
My standard list:
Citizen Kane (Welles)
Bonjour Tristesse (Preminger)
Le feu follet (Malle)
Masculin-Féminin (Godard)
Chinesisches Roulette (Fassbinder)
Dead Man (Jarmusch)
Of course, I like a lot other films. The list should include something by Visconti and Cassavates and many more.
Why do I post here?
-
Clerks
Leon
Do The Right Thing
Full Metal Jacket
Donnie Darko
Pulp Fiction
AI (no seriously - it is extremely awesome)
Ghost Dog
End Of Days
LOTR (all of them - probably)
-
Pubdoggy, that is without a doubt the ugliest avatar I've ever seen.
It's uglier than than Kelly McGillis from one of my favourite movies, Top Gun (just to keep this on-topic).
-
Damn, I think Pub's avatar is the most awesome of all.
and to keep on topic-
It's more awesome than Carlito's Way (by no means my favorite movie, but still pretty damn good. Hey It's just an avatar afterall and besides I don't want to give Pub a big head).
~Paul
-
Some favorite movies of mine. I'm not going to try to rank them. Pretty incomplete, i'm just thinking off the top of my head. I love great movies.
Taxi Driver
The Wizard of Oz
Frankenstien (1931 original)
Rear Window
It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World
Fiddler on the Roof
It's a Wonderful Life
Animal House
A Touch of Evil
Midnight Cowboy
Singin' in the Rain
Psycho
Toy Story
Rebel Without a Cause
Godfather I & II
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?
West Side Story
City Lights (Chaplin)
The Treasure of the Seirra Madre (Bogie Baby)
The Cowboys
The Sound of Music
On the Waterfront
Full Metal Jacket
In Cold Blood
The Little Mermaid
The Shining
Vertigo
Rain Man
5 Easy Pieces
The Sands of Iwo Jima
Scarface (Al Pacino)
The Wild Ones
The Deer Hunter
~Paul