The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Bozack on November 29, 2004, 05:46:29 am

Title: New Painting- BEEF IN SPACE
Post by: Bozack on November 29, 2004, 05:46:29 am
I actually really, really like this one, and would totally get it, if I began to shit nuggets of the purest gold.
Title: New Painting- BEEF IN SPACE
Post by: andalucia on November 29, 2004, 12:57:37 pm
Yeah, this is my fave so far also.
Title: New Painting- BEEF IN SPACE
Post by: sensate on November 29, 2004, 01:09:42 pm
Yes, I want it. 4 days is a long time, though. This one will get expensive.
Title: New Painting- BEEF IN SPACE
Post by: Nabubrush on November 29, 2004, 04:22:34 pm
I would buy it for what it is selling for right now, but it'll probably be four or five hundred dollars. I want to, and if I wasn't married I would. But I have responsibilities now. Damn you, responsibilities.
Title: Re: New Painting- BEEF IN SPACE
Post by: sailor on November 29, 2004, 10:20:27 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
I actually really, really like this one, and would totally get it, if I began to shit nuggets of the purest gold.


i don't think pay pal is down with gold shit nugs
Title: New Painting- BEEF IN SPACE
Post by: slink on November 30, 2004, 01:46:00 am
The second one I would buy, but my favourite yet too.
I would, if I had any money. Well, no... Enough and more obviously!
Title: New Painting- BEEF IN SPACE
Post by: CortJstr on November 30, 2004, 02:20:30 am
Whenever I see this topic in my head I hear the title read like the old Muppet Show skit. BEEF . . . IN SPAAAAACE!
Title: New Painting- BEEF IN SPACE
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on November 30, 2004, 04:31:40 am
Over this past weekend several facts that should have been linked together in my brain finally coalesced. There are a couple references to Beef and Moussaka: in his fight with Molly, he was outed as sneaking Moussaka into a movie theatre; and when he finally got the brass to lay the "law and the lash" upon Gramma K, he was originally making Moussaka.

I look over the previous two sentences and realize that I've capitalized Moussaka; rather than correct this, I will simply carry it on as if Moussaka was a proper noun. As it should be.

Anyway, I realized that Beef had an affinity for Moussaka; it never really clicked in my head that Beef is Greek ("Kazenzakis"). Finally, after a viewing of My Big Fat Greek Wedding, I realized; Beef is Greek and maybe his insecurities come as a result of a culture clash.

It also helps cast Showbiz in a different light; the stereotypical sleazy Greek with ponytail and chest-mat a-blazin' a la various SNL skits really comes to life knowing that Showbiz is Hellenic.

Does Gramma K have an accent? Is she Greek or only Grandpa K?

ok enough rambling for now
Title: New Painting- BEEF IN SPACE
Post by: AugustWest on November 30, 2004, 04:43:59 am
Good Catch, O Ye of 2 congruent sides + 2 congruent angles!
Title: New Painting- BEEF IN SPACE
Post by: CortJstr on November 30, 2004, 02:00:23 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
It also helps cast Showbiz in a different light; the stereotypical sleazy Greek with ponytail and chest-mat a-blazin' a la various SNL skits really comes to life knowing that Showbiz is Hellenic.

So what you're saying is that you like-ah da juice?
Title: New Painting- BEEF IN SPACE
Post by: Nabubrush on November 30, 2004, 05:49:42 pm
No fries - chips!
Title: New Painting- BEEF IN SPACE
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 30, 2004, 10:37:45 pm
No Coke - a-Pepsi!

Everyone go to the Billy Goat Tavern downtown Chicago. That was the place where they got the idea for that skit.

Don't go to the ripoff one that's away from downtown.
Title: New Painting- BEEF IN SPACE
Post by: fuddes on December 01, 2004, 10:48:54 pm
I really dislike this painting.  It's not in color and it really has no interesting background.  You'd think since Onstad's making a fortune off these things, that he'd actually take time to paint something that takes more than ten minutes.
Title: New Painting- BEEF IN SPACE
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 01, 2004, 11:22:44 pm
It's a free market. Don't bid on it if you don't like it, but if he's making money doing what he does, why would he change it because you don't like it?

If I were you, I'd go ahead and contact Onstad and commission a piece to your liking. Then you can feel good about spending your own mad dollars on a piece with color and everything.
Title: New Painting- BEEF IN SPACE
Post by: CortJstr on December 01, 2004, 11:49:53 pm
Indeed. The painting isn't my style but criticizing if for being in black and white is like bitching about poems that don't rhyme.
Title: New Painting- BEEF IN SPACE
Post by: V-Adore on December 01, 2004, 11:58:38 pm
Seriously. Besides, I don't think color would have added anything; Beef is gray, space is pretty much straight-up black and white...

I admire it for the composition, which Onstad obviously has a greater understanding of than he did when he started this mad eBay enterprise.
Title: New Painting- BEEF IN SPACE
Post by: Nabubrush on December 02, 2004, 12:31:56 am
I always liked "You people turn everything into turds."

I'm not 100% sure it was exactly that, but I just died. I so, so, so wish I had all those thread-lock posts somewhere. They were so good.


I'm starting to think that we're getting to a financial situation where I could get involved with one of these - or (dare I say it)  . . . damn, I've forgotten the word.

Had to fall back on ADawg - I could commision something. I wish those old fried-egg TV ads weren't so true.
Title: New Painting- BEEF IN SPACE
Post by: slink on December 02, 2004, 04:47:28 am
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I wish those old fried-egg TV ads weren't so true.


"I've been off my face on acid, I've seen unicorns flying down from the sky in pyramid shaped UFO's, but not once, have I looked at an egg and thought it was my brain!"

That said, I know all too well what you mean. At least if I didn't smoke pot I wouldn't look like a statistic.

I hope I get insane money soon, for I would love to have a commissioned piece adorning the wall of one of my many rooms!
Title: New Painting- BEEF IN SPACE
Post by: Steve Hogan on December 03, 2004, 01:16:37 am
It's a great piece and I'm surprised it's not going for more.  Anyone who thinks Chris can't draw should check out the elegant "Little Nemo" style of the painting.  I wish I was cash flush.
Title: New Painting- BEEF IN SPACE
Post by: Mr Trout on December 03, 2004, 02:13:40 am
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I wish those old fried-egg TV ads weren't so true.


"I've been off my face on acid, I've seen unicorns flying down from the sky in pyramid shaped UFO's, but not once, have I looked at an egg and thought it was my brain!"


"I don't know, maybe I wasn't getting good shit. Where's the shit that makes eggs look like brains, man? Is that CIA stash or something?"
Title: New Painting- BEEF IN SPACE
Post by: Bozack on December 03, 2004, 02:24:42 am
Quote from: "Mr Trout"
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I wish those old fried-egg TV ads weren't so true.


"I've been off my face on acid, I've seen unicorns flying down from the sky in pyramid shaped UFO's, but not once, have I looked at an egg and thought it was my brain!"


"I don't know, maybe I wasn't getting good shit. Where's the shit that makes eggs look like brains, man? Is that CIA stash or something?"


"Why would they put a jar on a car? Shit, I dunno. What's that? Oh, it's an egg! Oh, great, we're not that high yet! When this turns into a brain, we're getting a hotel room."