The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: cellardoor on December 03, 2004, 12:54:09 pm

Title: Sit on a canary - 3rd December 2004
Post by: cellardoor on December 03, 2004, 12:54:09 pm
And Lo!
Pat is hung by his own petard.
Another spell in chokey for Achewoods' resident bumhole methinks.
Title: Sit on a canary - 3rd December 2004
Post by: slink on December 03, 2004, 01:20:39 pm
I like seeing Teodor's boat again, the one that cuased so much trouble last time, as Pat gives himself away.
I for one, wouldn't be sad to see Pat get his comeuppance. I think escaping with Nice Pete, was not really comeuppance.



NO COMEUPPANCE!!!!!
Title: Sit on a canary - 3rd December 2004
Post by: cellardoor on December 03, 2004, 01:23:22 pm
Whatever happened to Nice Pete?
Title: Sit on a canary - 3rd December 2004
Post by: Steve Hogan on December 03, 2004, 01:47:27 pm
"Sit on a canary" is classic put-downage.
Title: Sit on a canary - 3rd December 2004
Post by: andalucia on December 03, 2004, 02:04:19 pm
Yeah, gay people are funny.




[this is lame]
Title: Sit on a canary - 3rd December 2004
Post by: CortJstr on December 03, 2004, 02:05:56 pm
What about the FCC crackdown you fool!
Title: Sit on a canary - 3rd December 2004
Post by: arkabee on December 03, 2004, 02:34:20 pm
that's a boat?  i thought it was a non-copyight-infringing-rendition-of-an-airstream.
Title: Sit on a canary - 3rd December 2004
Post by: V-Adore on December 03, 2004, 03:28:06 pm
See, I think Arthur comes out the better of this -- if only for the line "is that your absolutely gross way of finally admitting that you know I'm gay, Pat?", which is about the classiest way to possibly come out to Pat Reynolds.

Also, the boat is back? That's fairly awesome, if only in concept. I sense shenanigans on the horizon.

(Alternate thought: Pat is finally forced to come out. I mean, why else do you think he keeps putting up with Nice Pete?)
Title: Sit on a canary - 3rd December 2004
Post by: wombat on December 03, 2004, 03:33:04 pm
I loved this, and I am so glad Pat is back, and it makes me feel like I am a  sick person.

Time for more Philippe!
Title: Sit on a canary - 3rd December 2004
Post by: AugustWest on December 03, 2004, 03:42:27 pm
I find myself oddly ambivalent about this strip.  There are elements of it I like a lot.  Glad to the see the boat and there are obviously some good lines.

However this strip seems a little uncharacteristic for Onstad.  It's a little overstated -- a little too direct.  Acheworld is usually so oblique that the straight-on fag jokes were a little jarring to me.
Title: Sit on a canary - 3rd December 2004
Post by: slink on December 03, 2004, 04:16:44 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Acheworld is usually so oblique that the straight-on fag jokes were a little jarring to me.


I can see that, but Pat as a character is like that. It goes hand in hand with his Mexican comment yesterday no? Also, well, it's all just a carriage for us finding out where Pat is anyway.
Title: Sit on a canary - 3rd December 2004
Post by: Nabubrush on December 03, 2004, 04:26:59 pm
That got pretty rough.

I'm looking forward to developments in the whole "Mr. Gary" storyline.
Title: Sit on a canary - 3rd December 2004
Post by: Bozack on December 03, 2004, 05:13:00 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
However this strip seems a little uncharacteristic for Onstad.  It's a little overstated -- a little too direct.  Acheworld is usually so oblique that the straight-on fag jokes were a little jarring to me.


I feel that, too, but I after considering slink's comment, I gotta say, yeah, it fits in with the whole "Pat hitting rock bottom" thing. And Arthur's "absolutely gross" line is pretty good, as is "YOU'LL NEVER KNOW ANYTHING SO BEAUTIFUL."
Title: Sit on a canary - 3rd December 2004
Post by: Formica on December 03, 2004, 05:27:08 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
However this strip seems a little uncharacteristic for Onstad.  It's a little overstated -- a little too direct.  Acheworld is usually so oblique that the straight-on fag jokes were a little jarring to me.

Hmmmm. I can definitely see your point of view on this one, but I think I'm in consensus with Bozack and Slink: this is Pat, after all, the one who brought us the Affirmative Action Archipegalo (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10262004) and believes the Chinese Mafia will have him shot (http://journeyintoreason.blogspot.com/2004/10/chinese-people-are-keeping-secrets.html) for suggesting there are secrets in their kitchens. Thusly, the combined stress of being on the lam again for accidentally shooting someone he has no trouble with reveals his own latent, repressed homosexuality and the associated anger towards other homosexuals. Arthur is, merely, a convenient target.

I'm still wondering what conviction was responsible for sending him to court-mandated anger management in the first place.
Title: Sit on a canary - 3rd December 2004
Post by: CortJstr on December 03, 2004, 05:34:55 pm
Quote from: "Formica"
I'm still wondering what conviction was responsible for sending him to court-mandated anger management in the first place.

I'm assuming that it was attempted assault on some poor counter-drone at a fast food place or somesuch.
Title: Sit on a canary - 3rd December 2004
Post by: AugustWest on December 03, 2004, 06:09:12 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Yknow, I think it was Slink who called this strip a conveyance method and I kinda agree there.  I also think 'West is onto something with the bluntness of the dialog being off putting.


Well, it was like Basil Exposition showed up.  And of course I agree that Pat is a dick.  It just struck me as being a little over the top for him -- stylewise.  The "sat on canary" thing was perfectly in character, but "smoking Mr. Gary's pole" just didn't seem like something Pat would say to me.

I am anxious to see what happens next.  Maybe Pat needs a serious beatdown such that he would have to spend some time in hell.  He could run into Todd while he's there.  I'm also concerned about Mr. Bear.  Assuming he will regain his health, he ought to be allowed to participate in any vengence wreaked upon Pat.
Title: Sit on a canary - 3rd December 2004
Post by: arkabee on December 03, 2004, 06:28:59 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"

Well, it was like Basil Exposition showed up.  And of course I agree that Pat is a dick.  It just struck me as being a little over the top for him -- stylewise.  The "sat on canary" thing was perfectly in character, but "smoking Mr. Gary's pole" just didn't seem like something Pat would say to me.


i thought pat was a member of the dirtiest dudes or somesuch,
Title: Sit on a canary - 3rd December 2004
Post by: Nabubrush on December 03, 2004, 06:32:36 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Cellardoor: keep poking out phrases like"spell in chokey" and I'll learn your name, 'eh.

I always thought the word gaol was very pretty.
Title: Sit on a canary - 3rd December 2004
Post by: wombat on December 03, 2004, 06:49:07 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
"smoking Mr. Gary's pole" just didn't seem like something Pat would say to me.


Well of course not to you, August.
Title: Sit on a canary - 3rd December 2004
Post by: Nabubrush on December 03, 2004, 06:52:33 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
"smoking Mr. Gary's pole" just didn't seem like something Pat would say to me.


Well of course not to you, August.

Wombat kocks another one out of the park.
Title: Sit on a canary - 3rd December 2004
Post by: AugustWest on December 03, 2004, 07:00:41 pm
Unfortunately, nobody ever says anything about smoking my pole.
Title: Sit on a canary - 3rd December 2004
Post by: Gimpson on December 03, 2004, 07:07:34 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Unfortunately, nobody ever says anything about smoking my pole.


The offer was tendered over here (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?t=1514).
Title: Sit on a canary - 3rd December 2004
Post by: Bozack on December 03, 2004, 08:41:13 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"

Well, it was like Basil Exposition showed up.


Haha, that's a brilliant expression.

Quote from: "Gimpson"
The offer was tendered over here.


Dude, don't remind him, that guy LIVES near me!
Title: Sit on a canary - 3rd December 2004
Post by: AugustWest on December 03, 2004, 08:46:14 pm
OK, nobody that I would want near my pole ever says anything about smoking my pole.
Title: Sit on a canary - 3rd December 2004
Post by: Nabubrush on December 03, 2004, 08:51:30 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Well, it was like Basil Exposition showed up.

I forgot that was from AP, and somehow my brain said "Ernie Kovacs" - I was thinking of Percy Dovetonsils.
Title: Sit on a canary - 3rd December 2004
Post by: V-Adore on December 03, 2004, 09:20:56 pm
I hate to speculate on plot, but my first observation:

Arthur is also in anger-management therapy, and while he's holding it together than Pat is, his voice is raised. Are we gonna find Pat beaten to death with Arthur's sunglasses?

STAY OFF THE BEACH, ARTHUR!
Title: Sit on a canary - 3rd December 2004
Post by: CortJstr on December 03, 2004, 09:22:40 pm
pole doesn't look like a word anymore. Thanks a lot people!
Title: Sit on a canary - 3rd December 2004
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on December 04, 2004, 03:48:35 am
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Well, it was like Basil Exposition showed up.

I forgot that was from AP, and somehow my brain said "Ernie Kovacs" - I was thinking of Percy Dovetonsils.


Percy Dovetonsils would be smoking an orthicon tube.

This post contains a clue.
Title: Sit on a canary - 3rd December 2004
Post by: sensate on December 04, 2004, 04:35:43 pm
Excellent thread, etc., etc.

It strikes me as significant that Pat knew about Arthur and Mr. Gary's pole and smoking and hadn't said anything to Pat about it. Usually Pat can get excercised even about non-deviant behavior, and reliably apoplectic about anything that contravenes the slightest provision of the Law. But he didn't say anything about deviant homosexual sex performed in public. Hmm.

Like I said, it's somehow significant, but I'm not sure how or why.