The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: slink on December 03, 2004, 07:17:33 pm

Title: Goodbye Dorian Gray
Post by: slink on December 03, 2004, 07:17:33 pm
In the South at least. Possibly. Soon.

http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/news/1101896768316400.xml


This reminded me of a program I heard on the radio not long ago about a school in New York for gay students. I thought this was a fairly good idea really. Only they were commenting that on September 11th, people came and started beating the kids up. WHY!? I mean honestly, WHAT THE FUCK?

Ugh. I'm done.
Title: Goodbye Dorian Gray
Post by: Gimpson on December 03, 2004, 07:22:35 pm
I saw this story yesterday and after reading a bit thought it was The Onion style parody.  Unfortunately, no.
Title: Goodbye Dorian Gray
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 03, 2004, 07:27:17 pm
This kind of draconian stupidity is the reason why people paint conservatives with a broad brush. This guy needs to get a grip on his own sense of self and sexuality.
Title: Goodbye Dorian Gray
Post by: Nabubrush on December 03, 2004, 07:38:25 pm
When I read the thread title, I thought it might be Elton's latest re-working of "Candle in the Wind" - and look how it turned out!

Also, this is just madness.
Title: Goodbye Dorian Gray
Post by: slink on December 03, 2004, 07:41:52 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
When I read the thread title, I thought it might be Elton's latest re-working of "Candle in the Wind" - and look how it turned out!


Madness it may be but thanks to that it just caused me to laugh out loud.

It is ludicrous though. And it just solidifies my belief that the way the US in particular (it's not just there however, France's fairly recent laws on the wearing of, I forget what they're called but he head-scarves worn by women, are just as bad) are like, fifty steps backwards. I have half of my head telling me this will never happen, while in light of the strong opposition to gay marriage and the like the other half is thinking it might.
Title: Goodbye Dorian Gray
Post by: Gimpson on December 03, 2004, 07:56:25 pm
Well, in defense of the US, if this bill were to pass, it would immediately be struck down as a violation of the first amendment.  The ACLU all over this, and I assume it would be struck down by the first judge it gets to.  And that's just assuming that it could pass and be signed into law, which I doubt, even in Alabama.  

It's kind of sad that somebody who would support this would get elected at all, but to be fair about it, this guy is on the fringe.
Title: Goodbye Dorian Gray
Post by: slink on December 03, 2004, 08:16:04 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"

It's kind of sad that somebody who would support this would get elected at all, but to be fair about it, this guy is on the fringe.


That is true I guess. But even so, it could remove it from ever being discussed in school at least. I mean, same happened to evolution! I mean, the bit in Donnie Darko when he's talking to Monnitoff about God, and he just says "I can't talk about this anymore. I could lose my job" just makes me laugh in disbelief every time. Ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh.
And those metre tall humanoids found in Indonesia - the guy in Australia I think it is who has locked them up and isn't allowing anyone to study them! Sometimes I just want to go out with a baseball bat and stop people being so fuck*ng retarded. Ah well.

To quote The Cat Empire: "I look at shit like this, and I cannot make no sense of it... I think of better things, when I cannot make no sense of it!"

That and - "I don't want to go on a rant, here, but America's foreign policy makes about as much sense as Beowulf having sex with Robert Fulton at the first battle of Antietam. I mean when a neo-conservative defenestrates it's like Raskolnikov filibuster deoxymonohydroxinate"
Title: Goodbye Dorian Gray
Post by: Nabubrush on December 03, 2004, 08:19:33 pm
Was that Dennis Miller?
Title: Goodbye Dorian Gray
Post by: jough on December 03, 2004, 08:24:22 pm
Also, record stores will no longer be able to carry Cher, Barbra Streisand, or any showtunes.
Title: Goodbye Dorian Gray
Post by: Bozack on December 03, 2004, 08:50:07 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Was that Dennis Miller?


I think it's fake Dennis Miller. Like......Dennis Miller Light or something.
I don't know what to say with this, other than WHO THE FUCK IS THIS GUY? Why does he.......can he even....GOD!
Okay, when you're proposing the DESTRUCTION OF BOOKS, something's WRONG. Here's a hint: look at what Hitler did, and what, say, Ray Romano does on the popular television show "Everybody Loves Raymond." If you find yourself doing something that Hitler did that Ray Romano does not, STOP DOING IT.

For instance: eating breakfast. Hitler did it, but so does Ray!
Prohibiting books: Hitler did it, but Ray Romano has never prohibited/destroyed large numbers of books, unless that happened in an episode I haven't seen (read: every episode).
Title: Goodbye Dorian Gray
Post by: Nabubrush on December 03, 2004, 09:00:39 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Was that Dennis Miller?


I think it's fake Dennis Miller. Like......Dennis Miller Light or something.
I don't know what to say with this, other than WHO THE FUCK IS THIS GUY? Why does he.......can he even....GOD!
Okay, when you're proposing the DESTRUCTION OF BOOKS, something's WRONG. Here's a hint: look at what Hitler did, and what, say, Ray Romano does on the popular television show "Everybody Loves Raymond." If you find yourself doing something that Hitler did that Ray Romano does not, STOP DOING IT.

For instance: eating breakfast. Hitler did it, but so does Ray!
Prohibiting books: Hitler did it, but Ray Romano has never prohibited/destroyed large numbers of books, unless that happened in an episode I haven't seen (read: every episode).


My new rule for living.



Also, please stop watching that program.

(I know it's a contradiction. My life is a series of contradictions.)
Title: Goodbye Dorian Gray
Post by: Va on December 03, 2004, 09:03:58 pm
Thanks for reminding me what shithole state I live in.  Fuck.
Title: Goodbye Dorian Gray
Post by: CortJstr on December 03, 2004, 09:20:24 pm
Quote from: "slink"
It is ludicrous though. And it just solidifies my belief that the way the US in particular (it's not just there however, France's fairly recent laws on the wearing of, I forget what they're called but he head-scarves worn by women, are just as bad) are like, fifty steps backwards.

I think the difference is hypocrisy. France seems to very open about it's goal to have a homogenized society. While the US claims to be open and diverse but then tries to pull crap like this.

This is also why the first edition of Fahrenheit 451 was printed on asbestos instead of paper.

[edit: typo that somebody couldn't let slide]
Title: Goodbye Dorian Gray
Post by: Nabubrush on December 03, 2004, 09:30:31 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "slink"
It is ludicrous though. And it just solidifies my belief that the way the US in particular (it's not just there however, France's fairly recent laws on the wearing of, I forget what they're called but he head-scarves worn by women, are just as bad) are like, fifty steps backwards.

I think the difference is hypocrisy. France seems to very open about it's goal to have a homogenized society. While the US claims to be open and diverse but then tries to pull crap like this.

This is also why the first edition of Fahrenheit 457 was printed on asbestos instead of paper.

<pedant>
451
</pedant>
Title: Goodbye Dorian Gray
Post by: slink on December 03, 2004, 09:47:01 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Was that Dennis Miller?


Family  Guy (http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/GuidePageServlet/showid-348/epid-99599/)

I guess that would be a CJ S-link!
Title: Re: Goodbye Dorian Gray
Post by: arkabee on December 03, 2004, 10:57:29 pm
Quote from: "slink"
In the South at least. Possibly. Soon.

http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/news/1101896768316400.xml


This reminded me of a program I heard on the radio not long ago about a school in New York for gay students. I thought this was a fairly good idea really. Only they were commenting that on September 11th, people came and started beating the kids up. WHY!? I mean honestly, WHAT THE FUCK?

Ugh. I'm done.


1- i doubt it will pass, the legislator just wants to attract attention.

2- the pendulum analogy for public sentiment, etc et al, seriously makes me ill most of the time i think about it.  i think i may tattoo "moderation asshole!" on my forehead.

3- why have an all gay school?
Title: Re: Goodbye Dorian Gray
Post by: slink on December 03, 2004, 11:09:57 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"

3- why have an all gay school?


Well, I did have that argument against it, but the idea is that kids who are openly gay can go somewhere and get an education while not being beaten up and made fun of for being gay. That is until a disaster in the city and people come to kick the shit out of them. Considering I have seen gay kids at school not just having myriad problems outside of class, but in class as well... I mean, why have all girl/boy schools? Why have all catholic schools?
Title: Re: Goodbye Dorian Gray
Post by: CortJstr on December 03, 2004, 11:37:51 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Why have all catholic schools?

To ensure that America becomes an entirely atheistic society.
Title: Re: Goodbye Dorian Gray
Post by: Nabubrush on December 03, 2004, 11:48:38 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Why have all catholic schools?


How else would Catholic school girls get created? And, as we all know, Catholic School Girls Rule! (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:7z1tk6dx9krw)
Title: Goodbye Dorian Gray
Post by: Nabubrush on December 04, 2004, 12:13:06 am
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
This is also why the first edition of Fahrenheit 451 was printed on asbestos instead of paper.


I didn't know that but it strikes me as genious marketing.  Except for, you know, possible lung fibroids and stuff like that I suppose.

I'd leer over Catholic school girls but rubbing elbows with John Law earlier today seems to have momentarily impaired me in that department.

Unintended consequence, WTF!?!

Never give up, Asher - if you stop leering at school girls, the thought police win.

I was going to say something more inflammatory, but what's the point, really?
Title: Re: Goodbye Dorian Gray
Post by: slink on December 04, 2004, 12:42:02 am
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"

How else would Catholic school girls get created? And, as we all know, Catholic School Girls Rule! (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:7z1tk6dx9krw)


As I've still not heard that album, when I saw that link (and any time someone comments on Catholic school girls) I hear Catholic Girls from Joe's Garage. Makes it rather difficult to continue conversations. That kind of being Zappa's effect on me anyway!
Title: Goodbye Dorian Gray
Post by: Bozack on December 05, 2004, 12:57:27 am
The Harvey Milk school seems, to me, like just an admission that school administrators can't handle the students. If you're having trouble with gay kids getting beat up, don't send the gay kids to another school, stop the kids who are beating them up. It just seems like voluntary segregation. Of course, I'm not gay, and I don't think I can really ask some poor gay kid to stay in a school where they're getting beat up just so, in 10 years or so, gay kids can feel okay in that school, when they could go to a much more accepting enviroment.
Title: Goodbye Dorian Gray
Post by: arkabee on December 06, 2004, 02:17:41 pm
i just don't understand why there are so many rules and laws.

don't beat up gay kids in school.

why do we need that as a rule?

doesn't "don't beat up people" apply already?
Title: Goodbye Dorian Gray
Post by: CortJstr on December 06, 2004, 02:21:53 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"
i just don't understand why there are so many rules and laws.

don't beat up gay kids in school.

why do we need that as a rule?

doesn't "don't beat up people" apply already?

That just brings up a discussion about hate-crime laws vs. regular assualt laws which I'm not prepared to enter into.
Title: Goodbye Dorian Gray
Post by: slink on December 06, 2004, 02:29:39 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"

That just brings up a discussion about hate-crime laws vs. regular assualt laws which I'm not prepared to enter into.


Don't even need to. South Park addressed it well for me.
Title: Goodbye Dorian Gray
Post by: slink on December 06, 2004, 03:18:50 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
I don't understand, why wouldn't I assault you if there wasn't some hate involved?

For shits & giggles?


Precisely.
And why is killing a black guy worse than killing a white guy? Because of the reason you did it? We cannot legislate on what a person thinks.

Sorry, I'm getting into it. Damn damn damn damn damn.
Title: Goodbye Dorian Gray
Post by: CortJstr on December 06, 2004, 03:56:07 pm
Abandon thread! Abandon thread!
Title: Goodbye Dorian Gray
Post by: Nabubrush on December 06, 2004, 04:29:45 pm
That road is a dead end.
Title: Goodbye Dorian Gray
Post by: slink on December 06, 2004, 04:36:26 pm
I just like the glint on that big red button. Or is it Big Red Button?

Also, Gibson's blog today was his realisation that Virtual Light would be banned. He sounded moderately proud of himself.
Title: Goodbye Dorian Gray
Post by: andalucia on December 06, 2004, 05:15:53 pm
This cannot end well.
For our own safety, it is locked.