The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Carlos del Vaca on December 06, 2004, 01:59:16 pm

Title: a dude with a Tron pillow (Dec 6 2004)
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 06, 2004, 01:59:16 pm
OK, so are they going to start seeing each other again or what?

Anybody got The Government's phone number?
Title: a dude with a Tron pillow (Dec 6 2004)
Post by: cellardoor on December 06, 2004, 02:09:30 pm
As an Englishman i've never had the pleasure of "three's company" so I don't understand the punchline.
Was it a show in which two men berated a women for the sake of larfs?
I have seen Boy Meets World, My Two Dads, Blossom, The A-Team, MacGyver, Kenan And Kel, City Guys and Spongebob Square#####. Also pro-wrestling.
These are my American pop culture references. I would want Onstad to only reference these shows in the future. Thanks.

But, nonetheless, Beef's humility and Molly's over-whelming coolness have made me go all gooey inside.
Awww!

A ha!
I'm guessing it was a show in which the situation was thus...
One man is dating two women.
AT THE SAME TIME.
So this man then would need to lie to said women to ensure the boning.

As a show it sounds awful.

ps - I love you Molly!
Title: a dude with a Tron pillow (Dec 6 2004)
Post by: CortJstr on December 06, 2004, 02:16:56 pm
1-555-4THE-MAN

And it's not just Three's Company. The entire CBS Monday night line up probably hasn't helped either.
Title: a dude with a Tron pillow (Dec 6 2004)
Post by: CortJstr on December 06, 2004, 02:23:05 pm
Quote from: "cellardoor"
As an Englishman i've never had the pleasure of "three's company" so I don't understand the punchline.


http://www.threescompany.com/tcompany/www/

It's the show that made John Ritter famous. Assuming you know who he was.
Title: a dude with a Tron pillow (Dec 6 2004)
Post by: cellardoor on December 06, 2004, 02:33:47 pm
The plot outline for each show has made blood come out of my ears.
And I don't think I know who John Ritter is.
God! I feel so alone!

Edit: Wait, john ritter! He was turned into a cartoon penis in a film about cable television that was evil...it was called Stay Tuned.
Yes! *pumps fist in air*
Title: a dude with a Tron pillow (Dec 6 2004)
Post by: slink on December 06, 2004, 02:34:50 pm
Ah, finally!
Title: a dude with a Tron pillow (Dec 6 2004)
Post by: CortJstr on December 06, 2004, 02:43:41 pm
Quote from: "cellardoor"
Edit: Wait, john ritter! He was turned into a cartoon penis in a film about cable television that was evil...it was called Stay Tuned.
Yes! *pumps fist in air*

Which included a blatant Three's Company reference. "Jack, where have you been?"
Title: a dude with a Tron pillow (Dec 6 2004)
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on December 06, 2004, 02:48:43 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Ah, finally!


Minor artistic error in the last panel - that backing wall isn't continuing on Beef's other side.

Also, I think it should be an aspiration to come up with one weird swedish music video (http://www.fangehullet.net/gatas_parlament-antiamerikanskdans_med_promoe.mpg) per thread.
Title: a dude with a Tron pillow (Dec 6 2004)
Post by: Steve Hogan on December 06, 2004, 03:09:04 pm
The best episode of "Three's Company" was the one where they overheard part of a conversations and got the wrong idea about something.
Title: a dude with a Tron pillow (Dec 6 2004)
Post by: Gimpson on December 06, 2004, 03:12:59 pm
Quote from: "Steve Hogan"
The best episode of "Three's Company" was the one where they overheard part of a conversations and got the wrong idea about something.


In the new Real Gilligan's Island reality show does the guy they picked to be Gilligan have to actively work against the rest of the cast getting off the island?
Title: a dude with a Tron pillow (Dec 6 2004)
Post by: Nabubrush on December 06, 2004, 04:12:10 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "slink"
Ah, finally!


Minor artistic error in the last panel - that backing wall isn't continuing on Beef's other side.


It's actually the back of the booth, and if you put a straight-edge up to it, it looks like it would be behind Beef's back. Hey, alliteration! And it turns out I am the comic book guy.

Lenny Kravitz wishes he was cool enough to have a Tron pillow, but that's just like Beef, to see Lenny Kravitz as an arbiter of coolness.


Also, cellardoor, slink - what's up with the expression 'larf like a drain'? I have always wondered.
Title: a dude with a Tron pillow (Dec 6 2004)
Post by: slink on December 06, 2004, 04:34:58 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"

Also, cellardoor, slink - what's up with the expression 'larf like a drain'? I have always wondered.


Can't say I know that one. You have to remember that there are a lot of various dialects and local colloquialisms here. I mean, the only places in the UK that use rhyming slang are parts of London and a very small part of Edinburgh.
cellerdoor may have some idea, but I sure don't. I think I may have heard it before though.

(also, remember that not everything that makes it over the pond is used here. According to Chandler on Friends, we would call people wanks. Close but no cigar.)
Title: a dude with a Tron pillow (Dec 6 2004)
Post by: Bozack on December 06, 2004, 04:37:28 pm
God, FINALLY! It's like someone just scratched my back. I really, really like this one. But this thread should be titled, "I never wanted you to be Lenny Kravitz." Obviously.
Also, why am I hearing Molly speaking with my S.O.'s voice? Is this A Problem?
Title: a dude with a Tron pillow (Dec 6 2004)
Post by: Nabubrush on December 06, 2004, 04:57:59 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"

Also, cellardoor, slink - what's up with the expression 'larf like a drain'? I have always wondered.


Can't say I know that one. You have to remember that there are a lot of various dialects and local colloquialisms here. I mean, the only places in the UK that use rhyming slang are parts of London and a very small part of Edinburgh.
cellerdoor may have some idea, but I sure don't. I think I may have heard it before though.

(also, remember that not everything that makes it over the pond is used here. According to Chandler on Friends, we would call people wanks. Close but no cigar.)


You mean like when I learned in junior high that all French people walk around saying "La vache!" . . . The larf thing I remember reading in, of all places, an imported British version of a Freak Brothers comic that I picked up when I was in Europe at age 15. So I don't know how representative it is. It just always nagged at me.

I just figured someone here would know. That reminds me, I have sort of a linguistic/grammatical question - but I'll put it where it is supposed to go.
Title: a dude with a Tron pillow (Dec 6 2004)
Post by: slink on December 06, 2004, 05:08:54 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
The larf thing I remember reading in, of all places, an imported British version of a Freak Brothers comic that I picked up when I was in Europe at age 15.


Freak Brothers was cool. I think for me it was always one of those things that I just came across and, well, I knew what it meant so I just let it be. I can't think off the top of my head of any of the myriad other things like that.

Checked the dictionary of slang we have - the supposed equivalence of water gurgling down a drain.
Title: a dude with a Tron pillow (Dec 6 2004)
Post by: Nabubrush on December 06, 2004, 05:17:05 pm
That's cool. Sort of a let down, but thanks anyway.
Title: a dude with a Tron pillow (Dec 6 2004)
Post by: Limmo on December 06, 2004, 05:18:13 pm
American-to-English conversion for Slink: Three's Company was based on a British show called Man About the House.  

Today's strip was just all awesomeness.  I love Achewood.
Title: a dude with a Tron pillow (Dec 6 2004)
Post by: evan on December 06, 2004, 06:23:33 pm
oh, no wonder
Title: a dude with a Tron pillow (Dec 6 2004)
Post by: Steve Hogan on December 06, 2004, 06:30:18 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Freak Brothers was cool. I think for me it was always one of those things that I just came across and, well, I knew what it meant so I just let it be. I can't think off the top of my head of any of the myriad other things like that.


In Galway Ireland there's a "Fat Freddy's pizza" complete with Gilbert Shelton type sign.

Horny Girl joke" What's the best seat at a Lenny Kravitz concert? His face!"
Title: a dude with a Tron pillow (Dec 6 2004)
Post by: slink on December 06, 2004, 06:32:28 pm
Quote from: "Limmo"
American-to-English conversion for Slink: Three's Company was based on a British show called Man About the House.  

Today's strip was just all awesomeness.  I love Achewood.


T'wasn't me. Three's Company is one of the ones I actually know of. At least well enough to get the punchline. Funnily enough, I have no idea what Man About the House is!
Title: a dude with a Tron pillow (Dec 6 2004)
Post by: Limmo on December 06, 2004, 07:15:36 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Funnily enough, I have no idea what Man About the House is!


Oh.

::chastened::
Title: a dude with a Tron pillow (Dec 6 2004)
Post by: V-Adore on December 06, 2004, 07:39:41 pm
Yeah, I copy Bozack; this strip is a warm fuzzy. Even if they don't end up getting back together, a level of closure is nice to see.
Title: a dude with a Tron pillow (Dec 6 2004)
Post by: slink on December 06, 2004, 07:53:19 pm
Quote from: "Limmo"

Oh.

::chastened::


Hey, to be fair. I probably know more American shows than I ever have British ones.

Being fair to you that is.

Man this makes no sense anymore!