The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: AugustWest on December 08, 2004, 05:41:06 am

Title: Anybody else see Bobby D. on 60 Minutes?
Post by: AugustWest on December 08, 2004, 05:41:06 am
I normally don't watch 60 Minutes anymore, but a TV interview with Bob Dylan was enough to glue my ass to the couch.

Unfortunately, I was approximately 37% asleep when the interview finally aired.  However, I am brash enough to post my impression of the segment.

Zimmy gave up nothing.  Ed Bradley was all sincere and Mr. Fan and Dylan was like, "I don't know, whatever, I guess I use Number Two Pencils to write my songs."

Bob also looked very old.  Of course, he is about the same age as my Mother, so he should look old.

For what it's worth, I've seen Bob live twice -- both were great shows.  First time was in Nashville in 1980, Second was this spring in a parking lot -- the highlight of this show was  BD singing "Forever Young" in the namesake's hometown.

Please do not badmouth Mr. Dylan.
Title: Re: Anybody else see Bobby D. on 60 Minutes?
Post by: miles on December 08, 2004, 09:42:46 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I normally don't watch 60 Minutes anymore, but a TV interview with Bob Dylan was enough to glue my ass to the couch.

Unfortunately, I was approximately 37% asleep when the interview finally aired.  However, I am brash enough to post my impression of the segment.

Zimmy gave up nothing...

Please do not badmouth Mr. Dylan.


I missed it, which was a bit sad because I am also quite the fan.  I have seen him a few times, though I must say all were a bit disappointing, except the first time.  June 2, 1995, at the Paramount Theatre in Seattle.  It was wonderful.

Anyway, I read Dana Stevens' review of it on Slate, and it sounds like I didn't miss much.  I did catch the Simpsons parody of it though, and that was kind of funny.  It would have been funnier if it wasn't the same old Dylan joke told over and over and over in the same old Dylan voice used since that Grammy (??) appearance during Bush Sr's Gulf War (??).

Even though I am quite the fan, Under the Red Sky is possibly the worst album I have ever owned, although I no longer own it.
Title: Anybody else see Bobby D. on 60 Minutes?
Post by: CortJstr on December 08, 2004, 01:55:12 pm
Agreed on the Slate thing. These Viacom forced interviews never seem to go well.
Title: Anybody else see Bobby D. on 60 Minutes?
Post by: sjlimmer on December 08, 2004, 02:40:57 pm
When I saw the title of this thread, my immediate thought was archive footage of interviews with the late Bobby Darin (perhaps to promote the upcoming biopic).  I won't badmouth Dylan (I don't hate him, I just don't get the appeal), but I was way more excited for Bobby Darin....
Title: Anybody else see Bobby D. on 60 Minutes?
Post by: andalucia on December 08, 2004, 04:03:24 pm
I'm probably still going to look for a torrent of this, because even though Dylan hasn't been cool within my lifetime, even after I paid $80 to watch him mumble incoherently completely drowned out and shown up by his band, I keep my faith in him.  
I think I have some sort of genetic Dylan enthusiasm.  My father saw him at whichever Newport he first played electric and got picked up hitchhiking by Joan Baez.  I don't know why I even try.