The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: cellardoor on December 08, 2004, 12:57:15 pm

Title: Oh crung! 08 December 04
Post by: cellardoor on December 08, 2004, 12:57:15 pm
Nooo!
Why doesn't Pat get himself a whooping from the other achewood characters?
If Lyle was here and "out of order"...
The last panel is gold though. That's why I read Achewood.
Super random!
Title: Oh crung! 08 December 04
Post by: Noah on December 08, 2004, 01:12:18 pm
This strip is actually dated as yesterday's, but it was only added like an hour ago....

I love how Roast Beef has the number of days memorized. The message at the end confused me though, it's like the caller shifts from being Paul to Travis. Just a mistake, I guess.
Title: Oh crung! 08 December 04
Post by: AugustWest on December 08, 2004, 01:54:11 pm
Why is everyone so willing to forgive Pat?  Why, I ask you, why why why?  He's such a TOOL and he needs a serious beatdown.  Why do they put up with him?  What good does he bring to the Achewood family?  Did he save Chris's life as a child?  Do magic tricks?  Play the harmonica?

Why do they continue to put up with Pat??
Title: Oh crung! 08 December 04
Post by: CortJstr on December 08, 2004, 02:09:08 pm
Maybe they all got together and decided to "forgive" Pat to drive him insane with guilt. For the next week or so they'll all be super extra nice until he just snaps . . . well, moreso.
Title: Oh crung! 08 December 04
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on December 08, 2004, 02:21:56 pm
obligatory scandinavian counterculture video:

This is why Jesus invented the URL tag (http://www.alarmclockconnection.net/donmartin/DonMartin-Repaint_and_DeliverTheWord.mpeg)
Title: Oh crung! 08 December 04
Post by: MSC on December 08, 2004, 02:46:30 pm
I really like the use of linear perspective in this strip...answering machine large and in the foreground.
Title: Oh crung! 08 December 04
Post by: MattFish on December 08, 2004, 02:55:12 pm
Quote from: "Noah"
The message at the end confused me though, it's like the caller shifts from being Paul to Travis. Just a mistake, I guess.


No, the dentist just named his wife's root canal "Paul".

Hi, I am new.
Title: Oh crung! 08 December 04
Post by: jough on December 08, 2004, 02:57:47 pm
Quote from: "Mattgiraffe"

Hi, I am new.


You still have that "new member" smell.
Title: Oh crung! 08 December 04
Post by: V-Adore on December 08, 2004, 03:12:25 pm
Welcome Mattgiraffe!

My call is that, yes, either they're trying to drive him insane or they're trying to lure him back out to where he can actually be arrested/mad shot/whatever. I'm not sure it would be a plan that Mr. Bear would concoct, but maybe he's been picking up lessons in vengeance from Lyle.

Last panel: gold.
Title: Oh crung! 08 December 04
Post by: Va on December 08, 2004, 03:31:27 pm
I think they're setting him up.
Title: Oh crung! 08 December 04
Post by: Mantonio on December 08, 2004, 04:31:17 pm
That Pat Reynolds has to be the luckiest son of a beeyotch in Achewood.
Title: Oh crung! 08 December 04
Post by: St_Zartan on December 08, 2004, 05:00:58 pm
(http://www.lgoldberg.com/Optimized%20Images/rockford.jpg)
Title: Oh crung! 08 December 04
Post by: Will on December 08, 2004, 05:40:53 pm
I hope it's some fiendishly-complex pattern devised by Mr. Bear to lure him out of the house. The "everyone forgives Pat because he's.. uh.. loveable" idea doesn't sit well.

Also, hey, I'm also new.
Title: Oh crung! 08 December 04
Post by: Formica on December 08, 2004, 05:45:47 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
My call is that, yes, either they're trying to drive him insane or they're trying to lure him back out to where he can actually be arrested/mad shot/whatever.

It must be the latter; Pat is incapable of feeling guilt. His assholiness - the true, dark heart of his core personality - dictates that he is never responsible for any of the problems that befall him. It is always the fault of the Other - the Mexicans, the Chinese, the Pole Smokers, the Samoans. The only thing he has to worry about is reprocussions - and those are never his actual feelings. All he does is fear the irrational behavior of those who surround him. They obviously cannot comprehend the reality of Pat's situation - that he is a rock-solid island of reason and sanity in a world that is hell bent on destroying his own logical constructs.

I hate him.

Welcome, Mattgiraffe. We like cartoon cats. If you do, too, you might enjoy it here.
Title: Oh crung! 08 December 04
Post by: CortJstr on December 08, 2004, 05:54:01 pm
Quote from: "Formica"
Pat is incapable of feeling guilt. His assholiness - the true, dark heart of his core personality - dictates that he is never responsible for any of the problems that befall him. It is always the fault of the Other - the Mexicans, the Chinese, the Pole Smokers, the Samoans. The only thing he has to worry about is reprocussions - and those are never his actual feelings. All he does is fear the irrational behavior of those who surround him. They obviously cannot comprehend the reality of Pat's situation - that he is a rock-solid island of reason and sanity in a world that is hell bent on destroying his own logical constructs.

Holy crap Pat is Rimmer!
Title: Oh crung! 08 December 04
Post by: Formica on December 08, 2004, 06:06:28 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"

Holy crap Pat is Rimmer!

Asshole != Smeghead.

More of a twit, really. I can't see Rimmer going off half-cocked on some sort of crazed revenge scheme because Lister told him to sod off after he insulted his artificial dog.

I have not seen an episode of Red Dwarf in at least six years. I am beginning to have very strange late 90s flashbacks.
Title: Oh crung! 08 December 04
Post by: AugustWest on December 08, 2004, 06:33:21 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
obligatory scandinavian counterculture video:

This is why Jesus invented the URL tag (http://www.alarmclockconnection.net/donmartin/DonMartin-Repaint_and_DeliverTheWord.mpeg)


This is great.  I especially like the part where the Scandinavian urban gangsta rappers are frolicking with the sheep.

I have to admit that based on the name I was expecting them to have hinged feet and go "POIT" or "FFFTTTWWANGGG".
Title: Oh crung! 08 December 04
Post by: slink on December 08, 2004, 06:50:44 pm
Quote from: "Formica"

Asshole != Smeghead.

More of a twit, really. I can't see Rimmer going off half-cocked on some sort of crazed revenge scheme because Lister told him to sod off after he insulted his artificial dog.


In the novel he was a little more prone to this. OK, his revenge was never based on shooting Lister, but he was always looking to get back at Lister for ruining his life. 'Cause you know, if Lister hadn't been frozen, he;d have had some help replacing that drive plate!

A friend and I knew this guy who was exactly Rimmer. His name was Armery. Maybe it's just the way we say it, but it makes me think of lavatory disinfectant!
has to be said at the end of the day, I pity Rimmer more than I ever pity Pat. And to that extent, asshole != smeghead.
Title: Oh crung! 08 December 04
Post by: V-Adore on December 08, 2004, 08:12:59 pm
Pat, I think, could be a functional person if he tried at all. Rimmer... well, Rimmer just was. I always found him a sympathetic character despite all of his best efforts to the contrary.

Anyway, yeah, I'm desperately hoping for Mr. Bear and/or Arthur's horrible revenge. (Hell, Mr. Bear and Arthur just talking. They have a lot in common, although presumably sexual orientation is not among these things.)

Also, welcome to Will! I <3 newbies.
Title: Oh crung! 08 December 04
Post by: Ben-San on December 08, 2004, 08:41:13 pm
Mr. Bear is calm about this because he's Mr. Bear. Of course Pat should receive some kind of punishment, but there's nothing personal and that's what the law is for, eh?

Arthur knows that when we punish other people, we're punishing ourselves, and when we forgive other people, we're giving ourselves a break. Or some kind of anger-management granola stuff like that.

Beef is just sorta y'know in a good mood cause of Molly, all burnin' bridges and stuff, all waking up to the now instead of living in the past, all realizing that now that he's got a girlfriend a dickwad dissing his Aibo ain't the end of the world. Does he even know that Pat shot Mr. Bear? For that matter, do any of the three know that Pat's done something wrong other than what he's done to them personally?

Paul is not forgiving, but he's also got the wrong number.
Title: Oh crung! 08 December 04
Post by: evan on December 08, 2004, 11:06:37 pm
Quote from: "Ben-San"
Paul is not forgiving, but he's also got the wrong number.

OR DOES HE?
Title: Oh crung! 08 December 04
Post by: wombat on December 08, 2004, 11:44:25 pm
Quote from: "slink"


In the novel he was a little more prone to this.


There's a Red Dwarf novel?

Quote from: "AugustWest"

Did he save Chris's life as a child?


Hmm, or perhaps some darker secret....
Title: Oh crung! 08 December 04
Post by: CortJstr on December 08, 2004, 11:48:42 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "slink"
In the novel he was a little more prone to this.

There's a Red Dwarf novel?

Several (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=stripbooks:relevance-above&rank=relevance20041029rank&field-keywords=red%25252Bdwarf&search-type=ss&bq=1&store-name=books/ref=xs_ap_l_xgl14/103-7828470-1106262).
Title: Oh crung! 08 December 04
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on December 08, 2004, 11:52:37 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "slink"
In the novel he was a little more prone to this.

There's a Red Dwarf novel?

Several (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=stripbooks:relevance-above&rank=relevance20041029rank&field-keywords=red%25252Bdwarf&search-type=ss&bq=1&store-name=books/ref=xs_ap_l_xgl14/103-7828470-1106262).


Moments like this:

1. "It's eerily similar how Camus' book is to that Cure song."

2.  Any time someone makes a Turkey (country) / Turkey (bird) pun (the bird was named after the country

3. Same with Mazda/Ahura Mazda (the car was named after the deity)
Title: Oh crung! 08 December 04
Post by: slink on December 09, 2004, 12:40:23 am
Quote from: "wombat"

There's a Red Dwarf novel?


4. One of which, Last Human, is not worth reading.
The first two are the real highlights. The second one, Better Than Life, is their struggle in the video game of same name, and is one of my favourite things ever.

Lister in Bedford Falls!
Title: Oh crung! 08 December 04
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on December 09, 2004, 02:31:37 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
obligatory scandinavian counterculture video:

This is why Jesus invented the URL tag (http://www.alarmclockconnection.net/donmartin/DonMartin-Repaint_and_DeliverTheWord.mpeg)


This is great.  I especially like the part where the Scandinavian urban gangsta rappers are frolicking with the sheep.

I have to admit that based on the name I was expecting them to have hinged feet and go "POIT" or "FFFTTTWWANGGG".


Getting back on track, does anyone notice the humor in the last panel? Travis  is breaking up a marriage by "yelling" into Dana's teeth? Assuming Pat is a gigolo under an assumed name (makes sense considering his hypocritical secrets in re: porn), it would be typically Pat to include yelling in his seduction.
Title: Oh crung! 08 December 04
Post by: andalucia on December 09, 2004, 05:04:43 am
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Assuming Pat is a gigolo under an assumed name...


whoa whoa whoa.
hold up there.
Title: Oh crung! 08 December 04
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on December 09, 2004, 05:19:24 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Assuming Pat is a gigolo under an assumed name...


whoa whoa whoa.
hold up there.


Well did you expect him to be a swing dancing porn freak?
Title: Oh crung! 08 December 04
Post by: MattFish on December 09, 2004, 05:21:55 am
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Well did you expect him to be a swing dancing porn freak?


I thought it was obvious that the last message was a wrong number. Maybe I missed your hidden sarcasm, and if I did, I can chalk it up to being new.

I love cartoon cats.
Title: Oh crung! 08 December 04
Post by: Will on December 09, 2004, 05:45:03 am
True, Mr. Bear is not the kind of stuffed animal to lie in wait with a rifle or something similar.. maybe he's got the police waiting outside?
Title: Paul/Travis
Post by: acoxcae on December 09, 2004, 06:29:12 am
Just thought I'd point out that at some point between earlier discussions and now, his (Paul's) wife's root canal is no longer also called Paul.  It's now called Travis, or, maybe, it's referring to the intended recipient of the message.

Either way, thanks Onstad!  It was funny in a non-sequitur sort of way, but kinda irksome too.

(Just dropped in to say Hi.)

Alex
Title: Oh crung! 08 December 04
Post by: Steve Hogan on December 09, 2004, 08:24:14 pm
When I see threads marked "8-12-04" I'm inclined to think that it's about a strip from mid August and foolishly start other threads.  (I wasn't just trying to start dueling threads.)
Title: Oh crung! 08 December 04
Post by: V-Adore on December 09, 2004, 09:17:05 pm
Quote from: "Steve Hogan"
When I see threads marked "8-12-04" I'm inclined to think that it's about a strip from mid August and foolishly start other threads.  (I wasn't just trying to start dueling threads.)

Duly noted, and topic appropriately edited.  This is why the mod staff (well, this half of it) endorses actually writing out (or at least abbreviating) the month name for easier reference.
Title: Oh crung! 08 December 04
Post by: AugustWest on December 09, 2004, 09:28:08 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "Steve Hogan"
When I see threads marked "8-12-04" I'm inclined to think that it's about a strip from mid August and foolishly start other threads.  (I wasn't just trying to start dueling threads.)

Duly noted, and topic appropriately edited.  This is why the mod staff (well, this half of it) endorses actually writing out (or at least abbreviating) the month name for easier reference.

I heartily endorse this concept.
Title: Oh crung! 08 December 04
Post by: slink on December 09, 2004, 10:32:52 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "Steve Hogan"
When I see threads marked "8-12-04" I'm inclined to think that it's about a strip from mid August and foolishly start other threads.  (I wasn't just trying to start dueling threads.)

Duly noted, and topic appropriately edited.  This is why the mod staff (well, this half of it) endorses actually writing out (or at least abbreviating) the month name for easier reference.

I heartily endorse this concept.


Just leaving me to suffer out in the cold, huh? Icey bastards!
I get routinely confused by American dates, but will endeavour to use them when creating any trip threads I might be awake late enough to catch first. Admittedly, I work them out faster than I deal with the annoyance, as I see them often.

*ahem* OK, I guessed what you were going to do was switch it to 12-8-04. But I heartily endorse, too, the switch to written month. Thank you for your internationalist considerations!