The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Franz. on December 09, 2004, 01:33:54 pm
-
Is the Stick Corner possible?
Yours truly
[ Franz. ]
-
Not even remotely.
I love the inset, bottom left, on the violent teacher. Great picture!
-
I'm suddenly reminded of my school serving salmon nuggets during Lent. It was quite disturbing.
-
I'm suddenly reminded of my school serving salmon nuggets during Lent. It was quite disturbing.
Salmon nuggets?
-
I'm just a little bit unnerved by the cat-wife-beater photo... It doesn't seem right, with the whole, "a photo is not a cartoon".
Though the caption fits perfectly.
-
I love the assholish way Beef asks questions which imply foregone conclusions. In a court of law he'd be "leading the witness."
Your obligatory Scandinavian camp video (http://wm.warnermusic.com/Sweden/Svenskt/gunther_dingdongsong_hi.wmv) (oldie but goodie)
Yes, those are actually the Sunshine girls singing.
-
I'm suddenly reminded of my school serving salmon nuggets during Lent. It was quite disturbing.
Salmon nuggets?
They were breaded on the outside but pink on the inside! With tartar sauce for dippin'!
-
The stick corner was absolutely rad, but I second being creeped out by the teacher-cat being a photograph. Oh, and by salmon nuggets.
-
One day of this=rad
2 or more=not rad
-
Is the Stick Corner possible?
Yours truly
[ Franz. ]
No, but it is genius.
-
Is it wrong that I think salmon nuggets could be rad?
Anyway, the teacher-cat being a photograph somehow fits to me. It kind of works with the general Drudge Report aesthetic of the publication. I'm confused by the cartoon cat in the witch's hat -- is this the Achewood Unified High mascot?
-
Is it wrong that I think salmon nuggets could be rad?
Me too. I think I'll make salmon croquettes this weekend.
-
Spouse does something similiar to this (http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1717,156161-246203,00.html) with salmon, although with a little more of that 'seasoning' and 'spices' thing that makes it excellent. This leads me to thing salmon nug's could be OK.
But not in an institutional serving setting.
No way, that is ass.
Exactly. I firmly believe that all cafeteria food should be misspelled like Cheeze Whiz. Calling them salmon nuggets might lead people to believe that they taste like salmon. However if the menu listed "sammon nuggets" then people would be better prepared for the horrors that awaited them.
-
I really like institutional food. I like scrambled eggs served with an ice cream scoop. I like rectangles of pizza with perfect, tiny little cubes of "pepperoni". I like the compromise between the taste of Real Food and approximated Food Flavor that is the Nugget. And I love the Filet O'giraffe's uglier sister.
The photo is creepy on a couple of levels; Achewood's stabs at realism (the landscapes in "Philippe Kidnapped", Onstad's ongoing logo fetishism) have all been within the currently existing aesthetic. So, yeah, the reminder that these are supposed to be real cats leading these secret humanesque Underground lives is a little jarring. It doesn't help that Onstad picked a cat that looks like a methamphetamine-inspired hybrid of cat and chihuahua.
"Ask for Thank You" = awesome.
-
I was entertained. I would actually love for Onstad to write up a bunch of these one-shots and throw them up on days when there otherwise wouldn't have been any strip at all.
I also don't mind toying with the reality of the strip. It's like baby Stewie, sometimes the family can understand him other times not. Ray appearing to drive a tiny, cat-sized Escalade while Beef's car appears to be human sized doesn't bother me. In the past he generally made photographs appear more like drawings. Like the on the Emeril box (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10282002). Maybe if he'd done that with the cat people wouldn't be so creeped out.
-
I confess I totally want to derail this thread into a detailed discussion of institutional food prep practices, mostly because todays strip underwhelmed me. But I'll save it up for another spot out of some vague sense of not fouling the board type thing.
Yeah, because we really frown on wandering threads around here. Keep it on topic or I'll break your pelvis.
-
That cat is in fact fairly terrifying, yes. It reminds me of the hairless cats which my uncle attempted to breed for a while until he managed to get mauled by an ill-tempered one and gave what was left (a particularly wretched-looking female and her two kittens) to my grandparents.
My grandmother still has one of the kittens, which has grown up into a calico hairless cat. It's the animal equivalent of the Thing What Was Not Meant To Be.
-
My grandmother still has one of the kittens, which has grown up into a calico hairless cat. It's the animal equivalent of the Thing What Was Not Meant To Be.
Okay, I'll bite. What's the non-animal Thing What Was Not Meant To Be?
-
My grandmother still has one of the kittens, which has grown up into a calico hairless cat. It's the animal equivalent of the Thing What Was Not Meant To Be.
Okay, I'll bite. What's the non-animal Thing What Was Not Meant To Be?
Um... Lovecraftian monstrosities of various sorts? Probably Nyogtha, the Thing that Should Not Be, most primarily. I don't think any of them are animals.
-
I totally didn't get that the photo of the cat was supposed to be the teacher. I was like, why is there a picture of a cat with the eyes blacked out? Is it the teacher's pet? I didn't even think about the whole anthropomorphic Animal High School thing.
-
Um... Lovecraftian monstrosities of various sorts? Probably Nyogtha, the Thing that Should Not Be, most primarily. I don't think any of them are animals.
Ia.
-
My grandmother still has one of the kittens, which has grown up into a calico hairless cat. It's the animal equivalent of the Thing What Was Not Meant To Be.
Okay, I'll bite. What's the non-animal Thing What Was Not Meant To Be?
Um... Lovecraftian monstrosities of various sorts? Probably Nyogtha, the Thing that Should Not Be, most primarily. I don't think any of them are animals.
And here I was expecting a cheap Paris Hilton joke.
-
Heartily concur, although from prior 'stad statements (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?p=25967#25967) it looks like it just doesn't work that way from a creative choice standpoint.
I still thing I had one of the great unsung one-liners (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?p=25992) in that one.
-
Heartily concur, although from prior 'stad statements (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?p=25967#25967) it looks like it just doesn't work that way from a creative choice standpoint.
I still thing I had one of the great unsung one-liners (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?p=25992) in that one.
Wow, I missed that whole thing. That's what I get for being an erratic forum checker. Does Onstand still play here, or was he scared away?
I really enjoyed today's strip. In HS I was on the Newspaper staff and we always talked about doing an underground paper. I think we got around to publishing a couple issues, under pseudonyms of course so the administration couldn't take us down. We were so hardcore, man. We blew their fuck*ng minds.
-
That cat is in fact fairly terrifying, yes. It reminds me of the hairless cats which my uncle attempted to breed for a while until he managed to get mauled by an ill-tempered one and gave what was left (a particularly wretched-looking female and her two kittens) to my grandparents.
My grandmother still has one of the kittens, which has grown up into a calico hairless cat. It's the animal equivalent of the Thing What Was Not Meant To Be.
OK, and sorry if this offends anyone, but what the FUCK is the appeal of a hairless cat? They are so creepy!
-
They are warm and soft, like a human ass that can be carried around.
Oh, kind of like an actual ass then?
Concession made in the spelling of arse there for my American compatriots.
Also, IA! IA! Cthulu fhtagn!
Shub-Nigurrath, the goat in the woods with the thousand young!
*goes insane*
-
They are warm and soft, like a human ass that can be carried around.
Oh, kind of like an actual ass then?
Concession made in the spelling of arse there for my American compatriots.
See, I don't get this. Over here arse is a very tame fake swear such as kids would use in front of their parents. Like heck or dang. Is it actually considered bad over there?
-
See, I don't get this. Over here arse is a very tame fake swear such as kids would use in front of their parents. Like heck or dang. Is it actually considered bad over there?
Not really. Though I'm probably not the best judge.
I say it in that context mostly, in the few instances when I don't just say fuck instead. But, given that my parents never objected to me swearing, it's difficult to know if it's somewhat more acceptable generally. I suspect so.
-
I just assumed that British swearing was sort of naturally 'blunted' over here -- like how "bloody" is generally appropriate in the American lexicon for thirteen-year-olds who have recently discovered rebellion and/or Monty Python and is treated with appropriate bemusement, whereas I'm led to understand it's actually moderately inappropriate in Britain. Of course, my knowledge of British swearing patterns is near-nonexistent. Could I get Slink'd here?
-
I just assumed that British swearing was sort of naturally 'blunted' over here -- like how "bloody" is generally appropriate in the American lexicon for thirteen-year-olds who have recently discovered rebellion and/or Monty Python and is treated with appropriate bemusement, whereas I'm led to understand it's actually moderately inappropriate in Britain. Of course, my knowledge of British swearing patterns is near-nonexistent. Could I get Slink'd here?
I think it's also just the foreignness. I had a German coworker for years and she would say things like shit and hell as casual swearing. But when something went really wrong she'd use german. While the rest of us picked up the habit of saying "scheiße" for minor things. So I guess finding other language's swear-words less bad is a universal concept.
See also: shag, wanker
-
I just assumed that British swearing was sort of naturally 'blunted' over here -- like how "bloody" is generally appropriate in the American lexicon for thirteen-year-olds who have recently discovered rebellion and/or Monty Python and is treated with appropriate bemusement, whereas I'm led to understand it's actually moderately inappropriate in Britain. Of course, my knowledge of British swearing patterns is near-nonexistent. Could I get Slink'd here?
Erm. I think bloody depends a lot. I have seen some people who think it's a terrible thing to say. I think this tends to depend on the religiosity of the person who hears it though. Or just the bizarre offendibility.
Likewise shag and wanker, I mean, any time the Simpsons uses it they have to cut it out (when they showed them at 6 here). Similarly bastard is not a before the watershed word most of the time.
Oh, I had a conversation with my mother the other week and we were noticing that bugger appears, similarly, to crop up at all times in the US, and were wondering if people there generally know what it means?
-
I just assumed that British swearing was sort of naturally 'blunted' over here -- like how "bloody" is generally appropriate in the American lexicon for thirteen-year-olds who have recently discovered rebellion and/or Monty Python and is treated with appropriate bemusement, whereas I'm led to understand it's actually moderately inappropriate in Britain. Of course, my knowledge of British swearing patterns is near-nonexistent. Could I get Slink'd here?
Erm. I think bloody depends a lot. I have seen some people who think it's a terrible thing to say. I think this tends to depend on the religiosity of the person who hears it though. Or just the bizarre offendibility.
Likewise shag and wanker, I mean, any time the Simpsons uses it they have to cut it out (when they showed them at 6 here). Similarly bastard is not a before the watershed word most of the time.
Oh, I had a conversation with my mother the other week and we were noticing that bugger appears, similarly, to crop up at all times in the US, and were wondering if people there generally know what it means?
Not only do we know what it means, but we're all schooled from a tender young age in how King Henry VIII enacted the Buggery Act of 1533. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buggery_Act)
-
Oh, I had a conversation with my mother the other week and we were noticing that bugger appears, similarly, to crop up at all times in the US, and were wondering if people there generally know what it means?
I would say not at all. "Bugger off" is something people would say to children. In that sense I'd say it's meaning is closer to "scram." It's equally innocent as a noun, used in senses such as "cute little bugger." In English class the teacher actually had to explain to the class what "buggery" is when it came up in one of the novels.
-
Oh, I had a conversation with my mother the other week and we were noticing that bugger appears, similarly, to crop up at all times in the US, and were wondering if people there generally know what it means?
I would say not at all. "Bugger off" is something people would say to children. In that sense I'd say it's meaning is closer to "scram." It's equally innocent as a noun, used in senses such as "cute little bugger." In English class the teacher actually had to explain to the class what "buggery" is when it came up in one of the novels.
Alternately named after the Turks (Bulgars) who were rumored to have a penchance for sodomy, or an alternate name for the Cathars, whose sect originated in the Balkans (by Bulgars) and promoted sodomy as a means of contraception.
-
"Bugger off" is something people would say to children.
OK, I think that's less the case here is all. Maybe. Not really sure. Most of the kids I see around with their parents are being told to fuck off... It's a gem of a town this.
-
Yeah, "bugger" seems to be generally considered harmless in the U.S. when not deliberately used in a sodomy-related context, in which I have seen it used as a vaguely quaint euphemism. The terms seem to be diverging rapidly from one another, and I suspect in fifty years American and English "bugger" will have no common connotations at all.
-
What V said.
-
FHTAGN
-
How does that song go?
"Sodomeeee, sodoyouuuu, sodo-everybody in this whole damn roooooom"
-
I wasn't bothered by the photograph. And I think it helped to capture the zine aesthetic.
-
I'm suddenly reminded of my school serving salmon nuggets during Lent. It was quite disturbing.
Salmon nuggets?
They were breaded on the outside but pink on the inside! With tartar sauce for dippin'!
I think - and I could be wrong here, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it - I think that that could not be a worse thing to do with salmon if it tried to be.
How the hell did the school get its hands on salmon, anyway? I mean, really! Think about the process that poor salmon must have gone through after its death!
And roast it badly, you horrid cafeteria people, in too much oil, but for the love of not vomiting, don't fry it!
Sorry. I am ten kinds of upset about this. On Monday I will bring a motion before the Portland City Council to pass a resolution prohibiting our public schools from ever doing this as long as we both shall live.
Ugh.
Yours, &c,
[ Franz. ]