The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: miles on December 10, 2004, 05:43:22 am

Title: AOL...
Post by: miles on December 10, 2004, 05:43:22 am
I'd just like to take this opportunity to say...ahem...

AOL sucks ass.

I did their little trial thing because I was in between internet service providers.  And they suck.  Ass.  Beyond the crappiness of their software and speed and horrible advertising campaigns and general annoyingness, they have dicks for customer service agents.  I know I can't expect them to kiss my ass when I'm calling to cancel, but don't they realize they have a better chance of keeping me as a customer if they are basically civil on the phone?  Or do they know that their product is shit and so have given up on being nice altogether?

By the way, I'm broke for a while, so I can't really afford a nice hi-speed service, so does anyone have a favorite dial-up service?  At least one that doesn't suck ass?
Title: AOL...
Post by: sjlimmer on December 10, 2004, 03:53:33 pm
It's been years since I paid for dialup, but I was happy with the folks at ArosNet (http://www.aros.net) for the 5+ years I was with them.  I'm sure nowadays you could find something cheaper, though (I think they're still $19/mo).
Title: AOL...
Post by: Nabubrush on December 16, 2004, 07:15:26 pm
My Dad, who is very computer savvy, uses Juno! Can anyone explain why this would be? Can anyone give me some sort of clever analogy? It's madness - Juno is basically designed to keep the customer off the internet.
Title: AOL...
Post by: CortJstr on December 16, 2004, 07:20:25 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
My Dad, who is very computer savvy, uses Juno! Can anyone explain why this would be? Can anyone give me some sort of clever analogy? It's madness - Juno is basically designed to keep the customer off the internet.

Maybe because back in the day Juno was one of AOL's few national competitors and he's still fighting the good fight in a misguided manner.

That said I know a couple people who use Earthlink and a couple who use Starpower (although I believe they're under bankruptcy protection).
Title: AOL...
Post by: AugustWest on December 16, 2004, 07:33:40 pm
I used my phone company's service.  Good and reasonably priced.  It was Bellsouth.net.
Title: AOL...
Post by: Nabubrush on December 17, 2004, 06:33:42 pm
When I had dial-up, I used the local phone co. service as well. Small community, though, so that might be why I never had any trouble with it. My wife used the dial-up here in PDX when she first moved back, and she hated it.