The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Bozack on December 10, 2004, 01:00:44 pm

Title: Will you still be sending me a valentine- Dec. 10th. 2004
Post by: Bozack on December 10, 2004, 01:00:44 pm
One good thing about not going to sleep is being the first poster. Awesome. AWESOME.
The comic itself is pretty good, if only because it describes something that seems to happen to me daily- not involving rats, but every time I set something down on a crowded table or something, my brain quickly figures out what's about to fall, moments before it does.
Title: Will you still be sending me a valentine- Dec. 10th. 2004
Post by: CortJstr on December 10, 2004, 01:41:42 pm
Is it sad that I needed the alt-text (or Title attribute, if you're anal) to tell me what song was playing?
Title: Will you still be sending me a valentine- Dec. 10th. 2004
Post by: wombat on December 10, 2004, 01:41:44 pm
Why do they need a trap?  Can't they get one of their cat friends to come over and catch it?
Title: Will you still be sending me a valentine- Dec. 10th. 2004
Post by: CortJstr on December 10, 2004, 01:42:28 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Why do they need a trap?  Can't they get one of their cat friends to come over and catch it?

Let's see you suggest that to Ray and see how he reacts. I imagine it would be somewhat Garfieldian.
Title: Will you still be sending me a valentine- Dec. 10th. 2004
Post by: slink on December 10, 2004, 01:55:01 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Is it sad that I needed the alt-text (or Title attribute, if you're anal) to tell me what song was playing?


Not in my book. Dreadful song. I really do hate McCartney.
Title: Will you still be sending me a valentine- Dec. 10th. 2004
Post by: cellardoor on December 10, 2004, 02:52:26 pm
Great use of sound in today's strip.
scrif scruf scuf
Title: Will you still be sending me a valentine- Dec. 10th. 2004
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on December 10, 2004, 03:12:39 pm
This, for some reason, reminds me of Cornelius' blog strip about the maggots and suet.

feeling lazy, so pick your own scandinavian camp video from their repetoire (http://www.mtv.com/bands/az/a-ha/audvid.jhtml)
Title: Will you still be sending me a valentine- Dec. 10th. 2004
Post by: Va on December 10, 2004, 03:40:58 pm
Am I the only one who finds it slightly creepy that Teodor will casually kill a rat when one of his friends is a squirrel, which is basically a fluffy-tailed rat that lives in trees?  Would Todd be upset if he knew?

Reminds me of this. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11142001)
Title: Will you still be sending me a valentine- Dec. 10th. 2004
Post by: CortJstr on December 10, 2004, 03:52:12 pm
Quote from: "Va"
Am I the only one who finds it slightly creepy that Teodor will casually kill a rat when one of his friends is a squirrel, which is basically a fluffy-tailed rat that lives in trees?  Would Todd be upset if he knew?

They also seem to have no problems being carnivorious so I'd say there are many animals in the Acheverse that are just animals and not sentient.
Title: Will you still be sending me a valentine- Dec. 10th. 2004
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on December 10, 2004, 03:56:25 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "Va"
Am I the only one who finds it slightly creepy that Teodor will casually kill a rat when one of his friends is a squirrel, which is basically a fluffy-tailed rat that lives in trees?  Would Todd be upset if he knew?

They also seem to have no problems being carnivorious so I'd say there are many animals in the Acheverse that are just animals and not sentient.


I think it's a very Buddhist sensibility that, yes, all creatures, even food animals, in the Acheverse have souls and minds and social services infrastructures (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=09252003) and alternative lifestyles (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=11102004), but yes, they are also some that will eat others or kill them for wandering in the radicchio. And you just have to deal with that because that's how life is.

Also, CJ, poor form, I out-AbnrmlJstr'd you. EDIT: Twice.
Title: Will you still be sending me a valentine- Dec. 10th. 2004
Post by: AugustWest on December 10, 2004, 04:11:33 pm
Quote from: "Va"
Am I the only one who finds it slightly creepy that Teodor will casually kill a rat when one of his friends is a squirrel, which is basically a fluffy-tailed rat that lives in trees?  Would Todd be upset if he knew?

Reminds me of this. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11142001)


I was halfway expecting Teodor to go investigate and find Todd in the trap.  Still could happen, I suppose.
Title: Re: Will you still be sending me a valentine- Dec. 10th. 200
Post by: miles on December 10, 2004, 04:25:22 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
The comic itself is pretty good, if only because it describes something that seems to happen to me daily- not involving rats, but every time I set something down on a crowded table or something, my brain quickly figures out what's about to fall, moments before it does.


It's funny because it's true!
Title: Will you still be sending me a valentine- Dec. 10th. 2004
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on December 10, 2004, 04:26:43 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Va"
Am I the only one who finds it slightly creepy that Teodor will casually kill a rat when one of his friends is a squirrel, which is basically a fluffy-tailed rat that lives in trees?  Would Todd be upset if he knew?

Reminds me of this. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11142001)


I was halfway expecting Teodor to go investigate and find Todd in the trap.  Still could happen, I suppose.


Which begs the question: What's wrong with killing other sentient creatures since there are documented ways out of heaven and hell?
Title: Will you still be sending me a valentine- Dec. 10th. 2004
Post by: Golfhaus on December 10, 2004, 04:29:14 pm
Love it. Teodor, through the strip and the blog entries and what not, clearly sees setting rat traps as a necessary evil, not something he enjoys in the least (the way you might expect Lyle to, or Pat). He hopes for clean resolution, as sudden and painless as it can be made to be for the victim.

Obviously, this is not that resolution.

"When I'm Sixty-Four" as the soundtrack for the dying, suffering moments of vermin... that's why Onstad makes the big bucks.
Title: Will you still be sending me a valentine- Dec. 10th. 2004
Post by: V-Adore on December 10, 2004, 05:18:14 pm
The offstage nature of this strip is gorgeous.

I like "When I'm Sixty-Four," in a sort of cheesy way, and think it would be good boppy cooking music. Either that or they had a better CD in and "Sixty-Four" just happened to queue up.
Title: Will you still be sending me a valentine- Dec. 10th. 2004
Post by: MattFish on December 10, 2004, 05:24:17 pm
I was totally singing When I'm Sixty-Four to myself all night before this strip. I am stunned.
Title: Will you still be sending me a valentine- Dec. 10th. 2004
Post by: CortJstr on December 10, 2004, 05:31:48 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
The offstage nature of this strip is gorgeous.

"I say we make a pact, no matter what happens we don't leave the store. There's just too much plot going on outside."
Title: Will you still be sending me a valentine- Dec. 10th. 2004
Post by: AugustWest on December 10, 2004, 05:43:03 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Va"
Am I the only one who finds it slightly creepy that Teodor will casually kill a rat when one of his friends is a squirrel, which is basically a fluffy-tailed rat that lives in trees?  Would Todd be upset if he knew?

Reminds me of this. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11142001)


I was halfway expecting Teodor to go investigate and find Todd in the trap.  Still could happen, I suppose.


Which begs the question: What's wrong with killing other sentient creatures since there are documented ways out of heaven and hell?


As I've posited before, we've only seen cats leave heaven or hell.  Perhaps they can only do it 8 times.
Title: Will you still be sending me a valentine- Dec. 10th. 2004
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on December 10, 2004, 05:45:59 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Va"
Am I the only one who finds it slightly creepy that Teodor will casually kill a rat when one of his friends is a squirrel, which is basically a fluffy-tailed rat that lives in trees?  Would Todd be upset if he knew?

Reminds me of this. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11142001)


I was halfway expecting Teodor to go investigate and find Todd in the trap.  Still could happen, I suppose.


Which begs the question: What's wrong with killing other sentient creatures since there are documented ways out of heaven and hell?


As I've posited before, we've only seen cats leave heaven or hell.  Perhaps they can only do it 8 times.


Todd left hell. He called from jail, remember? To ask how much volume a fart had or some such?
Title: Will you still be sending me a valentine- Dec. 10th. 2004
Post by: AugustWest on December 10, 2004, 05:46:27 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Va"
Am I the only one who finds it slightly creepy that Teodor will casually kill a rat when one of his friends is a squirrel, which is basically a fluffy-tailed rat that lives in trees?  Would Todd be upset if he knew?

Reminds me of this. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11142001)


I was halfway expecting Teodor to go investigate and find Todd in the trap.  Still could happen, I suppose.


On second thought, if it were Todd, he'd be cussin' up a storm.
Title: Will you still be sending me a valentine- Dec. 10th. 2004
Post by: AugustWest on December 10, 2004, 05:47:41 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Va"
Am I the only one who finds it slightly creepy that Teodor will casually kill a rat when one of his friends is a squirrel, which is basically a fluffy-tailed rat that lives in trees?  Would Todd be upset if he knew?

Reminds me of this. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11142001)


I was halfway expecting Teodor to go investigate and find Todd in the trap.  Still could happen, I suppose.


Which begs the question: What's wrong with killing other sentient creatures since there are documented ways out of heaven and hell?


As I've posited before, we've only seen cats leave heaven or hell.  Perhaps they can only do it 8 times.


Todd left hell. He called from jail, remember? To ask how much volume a fart had or some such?


Well fine, that pretty much blows that theory out of the water.
Title: Will you still be sending me a valentine- Dec. 10th. 2004
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on December 10, 2004, 05:55:30 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Va"
Am I the only one who finds it slightly creepy that Teodor will casually kill a rat when one of his friends is a squirrel, which is basically a fluffy-tailed rat that lives in trees?  Would Todd be upset if he knew?

Reminds me of this. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11142001)


I was halfway expecting Teodor to go investigate and find Todd in the trap.  Still could happen, I suppose.


Which begs the question: What's wrong with killing other sentient creatures since there are documented ways out of heaven and hell?


As I've posited before, we've only seen cats leave heaven or hell.  Perhaps they can only do it 8 times.


Todd left hell. He called from jail, remember? To ask how much volume a fart had or some such?


Well fine, that pretty much blows that theory out of the water.


That and the fact that we are ARGUING THE METAPHYSICS AND COSMOLOGY OF AN IMAGINARY WORLD POPULATED BY A VARIETY OF ANTHROPORPHIC ANIMALS AND LIVING TOYS.

I swear, Tolkien's obsessive-compulsiveness has infected popular culture with this belief that everything must be self-consistent and all loose ends tied. It doesn't even work that way with formal systems (cf. Incompleteness Theorem, Godel's) and it certainly shouldn't work with CARTOON CATS AND STUFFED BEARS.

Please do not expect *****ic consistency (timetable, storyline or otherwise) from Onstad. He is human, although horribly disfigured by that freak accident.

/rant
Title: Will you still be sending me a valentine- Dec. 10th. 2004
Post by: wombat on December 10, 2004, 05:58:10 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"


I swear, Tolkien's obsessive-compulsiveness has infected popular culture with this belief that everything must be self-consistent and all loose ends tied.


Why Tolkein?  Don't Sherlock Holmes fans go back a lot farther with doing this sort of thing?

And in which case, aren't we part of a Grand Tradition?
Title: Will you still be sending me a valentine- Dec. 10th. 2004
Post by: AugustWest on December 10, 2004, 06:18:22 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Va"
Am I the only one who finds it slightly creepy that Teodor will casually kill a rat when one of his friends is a squirrel, which is basically a fluffy-tailed rat that lives in trees?  Would Todd be upset if he knew?

Reminds me of this. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11142001)


I was halfway expecting Teodor to go investigate and find Todd in the trap.  Still could happen, I suppose.


Which begs the question: What's wrong with killing other sentient creatures since there are documented ways out of heaven and hell?


As I've posited before, we've only seen cats leave heaven or hell.  Perhaps they can only do it 8 times.


Todd left hell. He called from jail, remember? To ask how much volume a fart had or some such?


Well fine, that pretty much blows that theory out of the water.


That and the fact that we are ARGUING THE METAPHYSICS AND COSMOLOGY OF AN IMAGINARY WORLD POPULATED BY A VARIETY OF ANTHROPORPHIC ANIMALS AND LIVING TOYS.

I swear, Tolkien's obsessive-compulsiveness has infected popular culture with this belief that everything must be self-consistent and all loose ends tied. It doesn't even work that way with formal systems (cf. Incompleteness Theorem, Godel's) and it certainly shouldn't work with CARTOON CATS AND STUFFED BEARS.

Please do not expect *****ic consistency (timetable, storyline or otherwise) from Onstad. He is human, although horribly disfigured by that freak accident.

/rant


That's not what you said before.
Title: Will you still be sending me a valentine- Dec. 10th. 2004
Post by: Noah on December 10, 2004, 06:30:38 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Va"
Am I the only one who finds it slightly creepy that Teodor will casually kill a rat when one of his friends is a squirrel, which is basically a fluffy-tailed rat that lives in trees?  Would Todd be upset if he knew?

Reminds me of this. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11142001)


I was halfway expecting Teodor to go investigate and find Todd in the trap.  Still could happen, I suppose.


Which begs the question: What's wrong with killing other sentient creatures since there are documented ways out of heaven and hell?


As I've posited before, we've only seen cats leave heaven or hell.  Perhaps they can only do it 8 times.


Todd left hell. He called from jail, remember? To ask how much volume a fart had or some such?


Well fine, that pretty much blows that theory out of the water.


That and the fact that we are ARGUING THE METAPHYSICS AND COSMOLOGY OF AN IMAGINARY WORLD POPULATED BY A VARIETY OF ANTHROPORPHIC ANIMALS AND LIVING TOYS.

I swear, Tolkien's obsessive-compulsiveness has infected popular culture with this belief that everything must be self-consistent and all loose ends tied. It doesn't even work that way with formal systems (cf. Incompleteness Theorem, Godel's) and it certainly shouldn't work with CARTOON CATS AND STUFFED BEARS.

Please do not expect *****ic consistency (timetable, storyline or otherwise) from Onstad. He is human, although horribly disfigured by that freak accident.

/rant


That's not what you said before.


I don't really have anything to say, I just wanted to continue the quote chain.
Title: Will you still be sending me a valentine- Dec. 10th. 2004
Post by: V-Adore on December 10, 2004, 06:36:47 pm
Quote from: "Noah"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Va"
Am I the only one who finds it slightly creepy that Teodor will casually kill a rat when one of his friends is a squirrel, which is basically a fluffy-tailed rat that lives in trees?  Would Todd be upset if he knew?

Reminds me of this. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11142001)


I was halfway expecting Teodor to go investigate and find Todd in the trap.  Still could happen, I suppose.


Which begs the question: What's wrong with killing other sentient creatures since there are documented ways out of heaven and hell?


As I've posited before, we've only seen cats leave heaven or hell.  Perhaps they can only do it 8 times.


Todd left hell. He called from jail, remember? To ask how much volume a fart had or some such?


Well fine, that pretty much blows that theory out of the water.


That and the fact that we are ARGUING THE METAPHYSICS AND COSMOLOGY OF AN IMAGINARY WORLD POPULATED BY A VARIETY OF ANTHROPORPHIC ANIMALS AND LIVING TOYS.

I swear, Tolkien's obsessive-compulsiveness has infected popular culture with this belief that everything must be self-consistent and all loose ends tied. It doesn't even work that way with formal systems (cf. Incompleteness Theorem, Godel's) and it certainly shouldn't work with CARTOON CATS AND STUFFED BEARS.

Please do not expect *****ic consistency (timetable, storyline or otherwise) from Onstad. He is human, although horribly disfigured by that freak accident.

/rant


That's not what you said before.


I don't really have anything to say, I just wanted to continue the quote chain.


It is a beautiful thing, is it not?

Anyway, I'm not a stickler for self-consistency, but this has always struck me as a strip where Onstad did build some kind of a world behind the scenes. When I critique, I mean it in an affectionate way -- in my terribly anorakish way, I'm saying "I love this strip and this world so much that I want to make better sense of it."

YMMV, natch.
Title: Will you still be sending me a valentine- Dec. 10th. 2004
Post by: Ben-San on December 10, 2004, 08:57:09 pm
Maybe Todd called from jail in Hell. He was asking for advice but the documented problems of Hell-Earth telephone connections changed it into a digression about the volume of farts.
Title: Will you still be sending me a valentine- Dec. 10th. 2004
Post by: miles on December 10, 2004, 10:00:27 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "Noah"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Va"
Am I the only one who finds it slightly creepy that Teodor will casually kill a rat when one of his friends is a squirrel, which is basically a fluffy-tailed rat that lives in trees?  Would Todd be upset if he knew?

Reminds me of this. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11142001)


I was halfway expecting Teodor to go investigate and find Todd in the trap.  Still could happen, I suppose.


Which begs the question: What's wrong with killing other sentient creatures since there are documented ways out of heaven and hell?


As I've posited before, we've only seen cats leave heaven or hell.  Perhaps they can only do it 8 times.


Todd left hell. He called from jail, remember? To ask how much volume a fart had or some such?


Well fine, that pretty much blows that theory out of the water.


That and the fact that we are ARGUING THE METAPHYSICS AND COSMOLOGY OF AN IMAGINARY WORLD POPULATED BY A VARIETY OF ANTHROPORPHIC ANIMALS AND LIVING TOYS.

I swear, Tolkien's obsessive-compulsiveness has infected popular culture with this belief that everything must be self-consistent and all loose ends tied. It doesn't even work that way with formal systems (cf. Incompleteness Theorem, Godel's) and it certainly shouldn't work with CARTOON CATS AND STUFFED BEARS.

Please do not expect *****ic consistency (timetable, storyline or otherwise) from Onstad. He is human, although horribly disfigured by that freak accident.

/rant


That's not what you said before.


I don't really have anything to say, I just wanted to continue the quote chain.


It is a beautiful thing, is it not?

Anyway, I'm not a stickler for self-consistency...


Like an aerial view of a Pyramid.  Gorgeous.

I think consistency takes a lot of fun out of life.
Title: Will you still be sending me a valentine- Dec. 10th. 2004
Post by: AugustWest on December 10, 2004, 10:12:32 pm
Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "Noah"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Va"
Am I the only one who finds it slightly creepy that Teodor will casually kill a rat when one of his friends is a squirrel, which is basically a fluffy-tailed rat that lives in trees?  Would Todd be upset if he knew?

Reminds me of this. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11142001)


I was halfway expecting Teodor to go investigate and find Todd in the trap.  Still could happen, I suppose.


Which begs the question: What's wrong with killing other sentient creatures since there are documented ways out of heaven and hell?


As I've posited before, we've only seen cats leave heaven or hell.  Perhaps they can only do it 8 times.


Todd left hell. He called from jail, remember? To ask how much volume a fart had or some such?


Well fine, that pretty much blows that theory out of the water.


That and the fact that we are ARGUING THE METAPHYSICS AND COSMOLOGY OF AN IMAGINARY WORLD POPULATED BY A VARIETY OF ANTHROPORPHIC ANIMALS AND LIVING TOYS.

I swear, Tolkien's obsessive-compulsiveness has infected popular culture with this belief that everything must be self-consistent and all loose ends tied. It doesn't even work that way with formal systems (cf. Incompleteness Theorem, Godel's) and it certainly shouldn't work with CARTOON CATS AND STUFFED BEARS.

Please do not expect *****ic consistency (timetable, storyline or otherwise) from Onstad. He is human, although horribly disfigured by that freak accident.

/rant


That's not what you said before.


I don't really have anything to say, I just wanted to continue the quote chain.


It is a beautiful thing, is it not?

Anyway, I'm not a stickler for self-consistency...


Like an aerial view of a Pyramid.  Gorgeous.

I think consistency takes a lot of fun out of life.


 We've done this once already. (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?t=198&start=25)
Title: Will you still be sending me a valentine- Dec. 10th. 2004
Post by: filas on December 10, 2004, 10:19:09 pm
i just wanted to let everybody who doesn't care know that i'm enjoying the rat tales since i'm going through the same cwap right now.  in my room there are four traps, since i found droppings on my desk behind my.  
we've got five mice in the last three weeks.
three were brown, one was dark gray, and one was light grey.  

one ran under the door and into my closet when i entered the room and turned on the light.  i put a trap in the closet, sealed the space under the door with bubble wrap and tape, and went to sleep listening the the penis scritch scratch away at the wall.  no satisfying snap.

they call me the hunter.