The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: arkabee on December 14, 2004, 04:23:11 am
-
i have no concept how pregnant people are, apparently.
actual conversation today:
me: what time will you be in tomorrow morning such that i can arrive soon after and suffocate under your building and be consumed by spiders?
[i _might_ be exagerating, a bit, what i said. it's possible i did not say part of that outside of my haid).
her: i should be in at 8 if i'm ok.
me: um, if you are ok? is everything ok?
(see, i _do_ know that she is pregnant. pregnant people should be _ok_ and should _not_ be not ok.)
her: well, i'm suppose to give birth wednesday.
me: oh.
---
now, i don't _pretend_ to be a damned _expert_ at pregant women,
but,
should a pregnant woman, 2 days before she's supposed to give birth,
BE STANDING ON A CHAIR PUTTING THINGS IN A CABINET AND GENERALLY HELPING PEOPLE MOVE AN OFFICE FROM ONE BUILDING TO ANOTHER????????
i mean, maybe i'm old fashioned, or perhaps not old fashioned _enough_, but that don't seem right.
that being said, how are all the pregnant people doing and please don't stand on chairs if you aren't supposed to but if you are supposed to please don't be angry at the people who might be apprehensive about you standing on a chair because you might spontaneously give birth and that's a lot farther for the baby to fall and all that stuff?
-
I think it really depends on personal health. If she's healthy and comfortable and all is going well, why shouldn't she do physical activity within her comfort level? I mean, it's certainly not appropriate for all pregnant women, but presumably if it's physically comfortable for her it's within her capabilities.
-
Not to be a jerk or anything, but
What
a
dumb
post.
love you like a brother, but geez.
-
Heh heh heh.
My wife was mowing the back yard in the middle of August when she was 9 months pregnant. She went down the block to a C-store to get a Diet Coke and her water broke. Baby is now 11 years old and quite healthy. So a little hard exercise never hurt a pregnant lady.
Lest you think me some sort of ogre, I didn't make her mow the yard or even know that she was doing it. I was at work at the time. And she loves to mow. Anyway, everything came out all right.
-
Pregnant ladies need exercise. In general they should not lift *very* heavy things, as there is already extra strain on their back and leg muscles, e.g. I don't lift anything heavier than 25lbs now. There is no reason for pregnant ladies to discontinue their normal activities, as long as they feel up to it.
please don't be angry at the people who might be apprehensive about you standing on a chair because you might spontaneously give birth and that's a lot farther for the baby to fall and all that stuff
Women do not "spontaneously give birth". Babies do not fall out. It takes time and effort, usually hours of hard, hard work. Also, due dates are educated guesses at best, wild speculation at worst.
-
Oh, shit. Is everybody all right, Asherdan?
Jesus Christ, I hope everything's all right.
-
Pregnant ladies need exercise. In general they should not lift *very* heavy things, as there is already extra strain on their back and leg muscles, e.g. I don't lift anything heavier than 25lbs now. There is no reason for pregnant ladies to discontinue their normal activities, as long as they feel up to it.
please don't be angry at the people who might be apprehensive about you standing on a chair because you might spontaneously give birth and that's a lot farther for the baby to fall and all that stuff
Women do not "spontaneously give birth". Babies do not fall out. It takes time and effort, usually hours of hard, hard work. Also, due dates are educated guesses at best, wild speculation at worst.
Hell, back in the early days of our fine country, we hitched those same pregnant ladies to the plow to get the crops in after the hosss died.
We are 32 weeks today; Elinor has gained 3 pounds since this whole thing started and she still swims 400 meters twice a week.
about 8 weeks to go.
Hope everything is cool, Ash.
-
Things are under control so far. Tomorrow will tell the tale for us.
Just think a nice thought for us.
Done and done. Please keep us updated.
-
Positive thinking . . . positive thinking . . . see what happens when I am gone for a few minutes?
-
Am thinking positively. May everything be fine by this time tomorow.
-
I'm so very sorry.
You and your family have my deepest condolences. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.
Please let us know if we can help or if you just want to vent. Come back soon.
<weeps>
-
Oh man, I am so sorry.
-
Dammit. Sorry, Ash.
-
:cry:
-
I'm so sorry AD.
-
I'm so sorry to hear that.
I'll be thinking of you and your family.
-
I'm so sorry.
-
I am sorry as well. The same thing happened to who would've been my dad's older brother. But 4 healthy children followed.
-
I'm so sorry, Asherdan.
-
<Shakes fist impotently at the sky> Curse you God!!!
My deepest condolences Ash.
~Paul
-
Our thoughts and prayers are with you, Asherdan.
-
Words fail me, other than I'm sorry and I...yeah, words fail me.
-
i am sorry.
-
I'm sorry, Asherdan, thoughts and prayers are with you.
-
I'm sorry for your loss, Ash. You have my deepest sympathy. We're all with you.
-
I'm deeply sorry, Ash. I wish there were more I could say. Jamie and I will pray for your family as is our custom.
-
Ash, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Pedro only told me the news recently -- he didn't want to upset me but he knew I'd want to know. Tonight is the first time I've had the chance to come back and express just how much you've been in our thoughts. We have been praying for you (as well as Pedro's cousin, who is going through a similar trial right now) and I hope that you are beginning to heal. God bless you and your family.
-
While I completely understand why you may not be able to hang around here much lately, I think I speak for everybody when I say we miss you and Pedro terribly and hope both of you come back to hang out as much and as soon as you can. Also, hope you are healthy and happy.
If we don't get an announcement on the board PDQ after the big event, I'm hunting somebody down to deliver a heapin' helpin' o' knuckle sammich. I'm looking at you Pedro.
-
Thanks, guys. I guess I'm sort of officially back now -- I stopped working two days before Christmas and now that the holidays are over I'm just sitting around being pregnant. For the next six weeks or so, you can expect to see more of me. After that...well, we will have high-speed internet access in the hospital so we'll get those first pictures posted super quick, but after that, I might dissapear again. It depends on whether or not Pearce is as hyperactive outside the womb as he is inside.