The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: V-Adore on December 17, 2004, 03:30:47 am

Title: The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004
Post by: V-Adore on December 17, 2004, 03:30:47 am
Not entirely sure what to say about this except that the punchline may be the saddest thing. Ever.

At least this means that hopefully Molly will be staying in the strip.
Title: The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004
Post by: jough on December 17, 2004, 03:42:19 am
It just means that she needs a new job.  Maybe as a mechanical sex worker (since it's a step up from where she is now).

Also, Ray's switch of the thumb is the funniest thing I've seen all week.  Bra-fuck*ng-vo.
Title: Re: The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004
Post by: miles on December 17, 2004, 03:45:51 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Not entirely sure what to say about this except that the punchline may be the saddest thing. Ever.

At least this means that hopefully Molly will be staying in the strip.


I know.  fuck*ng heartbreaking.  And I was just starting to get in a good mood (finals are over).  I dug the thumb switch too.
Title: The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004
Post by: CortJstr on December 17, 2004, 03:47:30 am
Clearly that guy should've gone to Sani-Taco
Title: The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004
Post by: AugustWest on December 17, 2004, 03:55:15 am
That's not Peter Cropes is it?
Title: The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004
Post by: jough on December 17, 2004, 03:56:45 am
Clearly Molly is about to be murdered for taco-related incompetence.
Title: The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on December 17, 2004, 04:31:14 am
Finally...

IT'S SCANDINAVIAN MUSIC VIDEO TIME!

If Wilson Phillips, Clannad, and Siouxsie and the Banshees decided to drop acid and sacrifice the Swedish Chef, it would look like this. (http://www.varttina.com/videos/aijo/aijo.wmv) (also quicktime (http://www.varttina.com/videos/aijo/aijo.mov) format).

Highlights:
 
* The one in green hissing like a snake, and later -- that wind rushing noise? No, that's her hissing backwards.

* The one in maroon making what appears to be a perfect 2600 Hz tone with her mouth.

* The in blue apparently SUMMONS THE DEVIL

* The kind of chubby Carnie Wilson one bops around!

http://www.varttina.com/gallery/20010905150200/web-100.jpg
EVIL

(actuallly, it's just a folk song about an old man who got bit by a snake, and uses a spell to get rid of the venom, but damn if Finnish isn't a scary language)

EDIT'D by V to remove the direct picture link, because gah
Title: The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004
Post by: V-Adore on December 17, 2004, 04:43:04 am
Bobby, with all due respect, could we try to keep it sort of germane? Or include some kind of on-topic content? Or something? Don't make me have to seriously consider modding.
Title: The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on December 17, 2004, 04:44:26 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Bobby, with all due respect, could we try to keep it sort of germane? Or include some kind of on-topic content? Or something? Don't make me have to seriously consider modding.


I have to keep my promise to provide one scandinavian music video per post. I don't remember who I promised it to or why. But enough of that. Such a depressing strip needed an attempt to cheer. And with that I shall disappear!
Title: The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004
Post by: JorgeFabregas on December 17, 2004, 04:53:33 am
Quote from: "jough"
Also, Ray's switch of the thumb is the funniest thing I've seen all week.  Bra-fuck*ng-vo.


It reminds me of his $$ ratings while he's chatting.
Title: The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004
Post by: sensate on December 17, 2004, 05:09:22 am
Jaysus, Bobby. Slap some goop on their foreheads, and they would win an Emmy playing aliens on Star Trek.

And the comic, I liked it.
Title: The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004
Post by: Mantonio on December 17, 2004, 05:16:59 am
Pat, shoot that asshole customer next, please.
Title: The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on December 17, 2004, 05:30:26 am
Quote from: "Mantonio"
Pat, shoot that asshole customer next, please.


I still maintain -- there is going to be a Pat/Gramma K Showdown at some point.

you heard it here first
Title: The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004
Post by: Silverberg on December 17, 2004, 05:54:25 am
I'm with Jough, the Ray thumb-switch made the strip for me. Brilliant touch.
Title: The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004
Post by: Bozack on December 17, 2004, 06:08:30 am
Yeah, the fact that he actually gave a thumbs-up to someone he can't see is beautiful, but the switch hits it out of the park.
The last panel makes me weep, though.
Title: The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004
Post by: miles on December 17, 2004, 08:04:51 am
The fourth panel, Mr. Bear saying "Truthfully, Ray...rather quickly," sounds, in my mind, like Kelsey Grammer.  Now I can't separate Mr. Bear from Frasier.  Frasier or Sideshow Bob.
Title: The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004
Post by: cellardoor on December 17, 2004, 08:37:05 am
LEAVE MOLLY ALONE!
The sadness and fear in the sixth panel has made me want to cuddle a cartoon cat.
Female, I hasten to add.
Title: The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004
Post by: Doc on December 17, 2004, 01:23:51 pm
Hey, I've been lurking on this board for a few weeks, I finally had to register because this strip instilled in me the dark need to quote, I think its relevant:

'Liebot, what is the saddest thing?'
Title: The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on December 17, 2004, 02:13:32 pm
Quote from: "cellardoor"
LEAVE MOLLY ALONE!
The sadness and fear in the sixth panel has made me want to cuddle a cartoon cat.
Female, I hasten to add.


Maybe  New Ballsy Roast Beef (TM) will help defend Molly as well. I recommend that, as a generic set up for them being back together.
Title: The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004
Post by: Emergent_C on December 17, 2004, 02:41:46 pm
When I worked at Taco Bell as a teenager, I never got a customer this rude. I did, however, get a customer who did some sort of change-scam thing and lightened my cash register of several dollars (and I then had to explain my naivete to a cop).

I was not, however, as old and, er, feline as Molly.
Title: The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004
Post by: Va on December 17, 2004, 02:55:46 pm
Poor Molly.  Wasn't she a hostess at Applebee's before?  What happened?

Working fast food is a bullet I narrowly dodged--I had a job at Wendy's for ONE DAY before I got a call-back for a much better job at the pet store in the mall.  I didn't even go back to pick up my check for the one shift I worked.  I cooked french fries.
Title: The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004
Post by: V-Adore on December 17, 2004, 05:48:01 pm
I think Molly just got tired of Applebee's, probably spurred on by Tina in that regard.

As much as I would like to see Pat shoot this dude, I don't think it will happen, because Pat is the archetypal asshole customer -- the kind of guy who thinks he is entitled to good service and views employees as basically automatons that, if malfunctioning, can only be fixed by yelling and calling the manager to fire them. He'd probably cheer this shitface on for his strength in demanding his Ranchero Sauce in the face of a malfunctioning Employeetron.
Title: The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on December 17, 2004, 07:02:26 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I think Molly just got tired of Applebee's, probably spurred on by Tina in that regard.

As much as I would like to see Pat shoot this dude, I don't think it will happen, because Pat is the archetypal asshole customer -- the kind of guy who thinks he is entitled to good service and views employees as basically automatons that, if malfunctioning, can only be fixed by yelling and calling the manager to fire them. He'd probably cheer this shitface on for his strength in demanding his Ranchero Sauce in the face of a malfunctioning Employeetron.


He'd also demand that  Taco Bell gives free tacos  to everyone for their "outrageous" behavior.
Title: The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004
Post by: palm trees on December 17, 2004, 07:18:44 pm
Quote from: "miles"
The fourth panel, Mr. Bear saying "Truthfully, Ray...rather quickly," sounds, in my mind, like Kelsey Grammer.  Now I can't separate Mr. Bear from Frasier.  Frasier or Sideshow Bob.


i can't decide whether he's more a kelsey grammar or a stephen fry.
either way, he's my favourite by a mile.
Title: The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004
Post by: filas on December 17, 2004, 08:22:56 pm
i'm talking about the last panel here:

on the other hand, i've never seen a taco bell employee that timid.  i mean, if i didn't get the ranchero sauce i asked for i'd slink back towards the fountain drinks anyway like would normally, afraid that if i turn around the employee will stick a knife between my shoulder-blades.  

i'm saying, i'm afraid to talk to TB employees like that.
Title: The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004
Post by: linnea on December 17, 2004, 11:28:58 pm
Man, I get all overprotective of characters that I like. I got seriously freaked out when Nice Pete took Philippe to the super secret ice cream shop. I don't want Molly to go back to heaven! I want her to stay with Beef and get a better job!  :(  I guess that tragedy + distance = comedy.

Then again...without conflict and change, the Achewood story would not be nearly as interesting or funny. I need to toughen up and remind myself that Molly exists only in the Achewood universe, and not mine.

You know... in Heaven, Molly was doing aiight. Here, she is working at shitty foodservice jobs. And although things blew up with her and Beef, they're on the reconciliation path now... so I guess that now would be a pretty good time for her to go back to Heaven. *sniffle*
Title: The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004
Post by: Golfhaus on December 18, 2004, 03:13:52 am
I'm really wishing that this wasn't the strip we were going to be stuck with over the weekend, simply because I can't stand to look at Molly in that predicament, looking sad and scared.

And the alt-text just makes my skin crawl. I've had plenty of supervisors/managers that were just like that... that referred to the screaming, threatening douche of a man yelling obscenities as a "gentleman" and telling me to give him everything he demands.
Title: The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004
Post by: sailor on December 18, 2004, 04:14:11 am
i got to talk to assholes like that homeboy everyday at verizon.

"YOU WILL SEND ME A FREE PHONE RIGHT NOW!"
Title: The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004
Post by: Bozack on December 18, 2004, 10:56:06 pm
Taco Bell employees will put the HURT on you, man.
I hope new, ballsy Beef beats this dude.
Title: The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004
Post by: miles on December 19, 2004, 05:31:11 am
Quote from: "palm trees"
Quote from: "miles"
The fourth panel, Mr. Bear saying "Truthfully, Ray...rather quickly," sounds, in my mind, like Kelsey Grammer.  Now I can't separate Mr. Bear from Frasier.  Frasier or Sideshow Bob.


i can't decide whether he's more a kelsey grammar or a stephen fry.
either way, he's my favourite by a mile.


Stephen Fry.  Brilliant!  There's another actor...that I just can't place my finger on...Oh well.  I don't always think of Kelsey Grammer, but this one, particulary that line, really reminded me of him.  Maybe...just maybe, it's Garrison Keillor I'm thinking of.

Anyway, not many of the characters really inspire me to voice their lines in my head as the voices of famous actors.  In fact, the only other time this has happened is when Nice Pete was talking to Pat about killing, and he totally sounded like Christopher Walken.  Oh yeah, and Molly reminds me of some chick on this HP commercial I saw the other day.  The actress didn't have any lines, but just the general type feel I got from her--totally Molly.

Edit:  It's the grandfather on Gilmore Girls.  Edward Herrmann.  I think he's also been on the Practice and/or Law & Order.  That's the other actor.
Title: The Endless Parade of Mechanical Sex -- 16 December 2004
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 20, 2004, 01:46:33 am
he was also the head vampire in "The Lost Boys". He's pretty melifluous.