The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Va on December 20, 2004, 03:18:52 pm

Title: Playing a Musical Instrument
Post by: Va on December 20, 2004, 03:18:52 pm
Yesterday I picked up the bass guitar I bought almost a year ago for essentially the first time and spent three hours learning to play "Movie Star", "Mr. Wrong" and "Pictures of Matchstick Men" with my husband, who has played guitar for about 20 years.  The only reason we quit after 3 hours is because my fingers hurt too bad to continue playing.  I can't wait to play again after work today.

I knew it would be fun, but I didn't know it would be so fun, right away when I still know barely anything.  And I can play three songs!  If the baby will play drums, we'll have a power trio.
Title: Playing a Musical Instrument
Post by: sjlimmer on December 20, 2004, 03:49:23 pm
This should really encourage me to pick up the bass I bought about a year ago, and start practicing again.  Of course, I can't play any songs*, so it's not as satisfying, but I still kinda miss it.

Good luck and rock on, Va!

*Not entirely true…I almost have Violent Femmes “Country Death Song” down pat.
Title: Playing a Musical Instrument
Post by: Gimpson on December 20, 2004, 04:04:09 pm
I gave up all hopes of becoming a rock star when I sold my bass in a garage sale I had after my girlfriend moved in.  I never played it, and even when I did try I couldn't even cleanly finger the frets.  I think my hands are too small.  

I could probably get back up to speed on brass instruments pretty quickly.  I just need to wait for the revival of 70s-style horn bands, or hope that the guy who plays trumpet for Cake leaves the band.
Title: Playing a Musical Instrument
Post by: Bozack on December 20, 2004, 04:26:49 pm
Quote from: "sjlimmer"
*Not entirely true…I almost have Violent Femmes “Country Death Song” down pat.


Once you've got Country Death Song down, you're MADE, man!
Title: Playing a Musical Instrument
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 21, 2004, 07:47:28 am
The Banjo is a dang ol' pain in the ass to learn, nothing intuitive about it, a bunch of finger rolls to learn and I can't figure out the up-the-neck chord shapes to save my life, and I'm enjoying every minute of it.

I may get a ukulele next.
Title: Playing a Musical Instrument
Post by: andalucia on December 21, 2004, 12:19:52 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I may get a ukulele next.


I went to an extremely, ah, rural elemetary school, and they had us learn ukulele.  It was deeply unpleasant.  However, there weren't enough to go around, so during recess when they were handing them out I'd sneak in and make sure there wasn't one on my desk.  Then I'd just have to like clap along or something.
Sadly, all musical skill eludes me, so I've just compensated by becoming a music geek.  Those who can, do, and so on.
Title: Playing a Musical Instrument
Post by: CortJstr on December 21, 2004, 02:08:18 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I may get a ukulele next.

I went to an extremely, ah, rural elemetary school, and they had us learn ukulele.  It was deeply unpleasant.  However, there weren't enough to go around, so during recess when they were handing them out I'd sneak in and make sure there wasn't one on my desk.  Then I'd just have to like clap along or something.
Sadly, all musical skill eludes me, so I've just compensated by becoming a music geek.  Those who can, do, and so on.

We had to play those in 5th grade. But they had way too many left-handed ones for some reason.

I couldn't even handle the clapping. I have to watch somebody else because I can't keep the beat myself.
Title: Playing a Musical Instrument
Post by: Bozack on December 21, 2004, 03:10:35 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Those who can, do, and so on.


Man, that isn't the way to go about it! Those who CAN'T, play LOUDER.

I too am very interested in the uke, as well as the steel guitar. I bought Jon Rauhouses "Steel Guitar Rodeo" the other day, and now I have a sick obsession.
Title: Playing a Musical Instrument
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 21, 2004, 03:10:55 pm
I swear I know 8 or 10 people who are taking up the banjo.  WTF?

I'll stick to the gee-tar, thanks.  Acheheads hootenanny/open mic night!
Title: Playing a Musical Instrument
Post by: V-Adore on January 02, 2005, 02:19:14 am
I'm sometimes tempted to take up the drums, which I played during elementary school (and, briefly and painfully, middle school) band. That, and a friend of mine is going to be drafting me into the college marching band; apparently there is an exceptionally unpleasant, crusty alumnus playing the cymbals now, and she's desperately looking for someone to replace him, so... hey, least I can do.
Title: Playing a Musical Instrument
Post by: Bozack on January 02, 2005, 06:20:44 am
A friend came over who's learning the mandolin, and even though half of his right hand is encased in a cast, he grabbed a bizarre lute/mandolin we had lying around and plucked at it for a while. I got my mandolin out, and I'm pretty sure I might take it back to school with me. Twangy goodness. If I can get it good, we need to start the Achewater Jug Band.
Title: Playing a Musical Instrument
Post by: Va on January 03, 2005, 02:58:13 pm
I learned "When I Win the Lottery" (CVB) and "You Never Heard About Me" (Frank Black) this weekend.
Title: Playing a Musical Instrument
Post by: Bozack on January 11, 2005, 05:58:24 am
We should try to whip up a TOUAMB covers CD. I've got a rockin' acoustic 12-string version of "Skulls" that I'm sitting on top of, and I'd love to hear Va and her husbands version of "When I Win The Lottery" and AlohaDawg's cover of, ummm, some Old Crow Medicine Show song. And maybe if I beg hard enough, Andalucia will play "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" on the Ukelele. JUST MAYBE.
Title: Playing a Musical Instrument
Post by: andalucia on January 11, 2005, 12:33:28 pm
plink plink plink

...picture yourself in a boat on the river...



(anything for you, Bozack)
Title: Playing a Musical Instrument
Post by: Bozack on January 11, 2005, 04:58:15 pm
Aww, I'm tearing up over here. You're too good to me.
Title: Playing a Musical Instrument
Post by: Skillator on January 11, 2005, 07:51:44 pm
It's not that learning an instrument is fun it's that learning some instruments can be fun. I'm pretty good at the trombone, at least I used to be. I won awards and stuff all the time. It became fun over time, but I have to say for a while, starting out I bloody hated. it.
I'm very eager to learn guitar. As soon as I get my finances back up high enough I will treat myself to one. I may instead get a keyboard as I have some previous training that would making teaching myself a lot easier. But with guitar, I can become John Lennon, rather than Elton John with Piano.
Has anyone taught themself guitar? Or does everyone get lessons? I want to teach myself but I've had a really hard time before. I think it's something you need to be shown.
Title: Playing a Musical Instrument
Post by: slink on January 11, 2005, 07:56:39 pm
Quote from: "Skillator"

Has anyone taught themself guitar? Or does everyone get lessons? I want to teach myself but I've had a really hard time before. I think it's something you need to be shown.


I am self taught on guitar, bass, drums and keys.That said, I'm not good enough to play stuff on keyboard. I need it for programming and sequencing, but nowhere near the jazz proficiency I dream of. Guitar's my instrument anyway. I hated it at first. My fingers just wouldn't do what I wanted. And that stays all the way with guitar. There will always be something you are pissed off that your fingers just can't manage yet.
You have to be shown things at the right time with any instrument I feel. Particularly if you are learning yourself. There are things you will massively confused by, or can't do, then you find the right peice of writing about it or bump into the right person and you pick it up.
I think I probably did better learning guitar than ever with piano, which always just... Well, never quite happened.
Title: Playing a Musical Instrument
Post by: Nabubrush on January 11, 2005, 11:07:48 pm
I can barely play piano and trumpet. I'd gladly sing on a TOUAMB disc - but it'd have to be the B-sides extra disc that is only available for a limited time.
Title: Playing a Musical Instrument
Post by: Limmo on January 12, 2005, 01:33:12 am
Yeah, I'd do one.  Then again, I'm still sleeping on August's "My Love Ain't Free," so maybe I wouldn't.
Title: Playing a Musical Instrument
Post by: AugustWest on January 12, 2005, 01:42:50 am
Quote from: "Limmo"
Yeah, I'd do one.  Then again, I'm still sleeping on August's "My Love Ain't Free," so maybe I wouldn't.


Holy Crap!  I forgot all about that.  Get it in gear already!
Title: Playing a Musical Instrument
Post by: AugustWest on January 12, 2005, 01:44:00 am
On topic, I play decent rhythm guitar and pretty pathetic lead.  Or, I used to back when I played regularly.  But it's like riding a bike, right?
Title: Playing a Musical Instrument
Post by: Nabubrush on January 12, 2005, 04:36:29 am
I'd like to point out here that I was never involved with the exchange, but I'd gladly pick some shit out for you folks to listen to, given the chance.