The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Nabubrush on December 23, 2004, 01:13:06 am

Title: Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
Post by: Nabubrush on December 23, 2004, 01:13:06 am
Just to get it over with.
Title: Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
Post by: Mantonio on December 23, 2004, 05:53:28 am
Hey Lyle! Better not let that fan get too close to your uterus! It might freeze your dainty little ovaries!
Title: Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
Post by: AugustWest on December 26, 2004, 12:38:09 am
Wow, Pat's eggnog sounds foul (as eggnog -- but it might make a fine soup base.)

Does anybody else want to take a walk after dinner with Beef?
Title: Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 26, 2004, 02:19:26 am
I never thought that chilaquiles were 'crass and shitty'. They do approximate a casserole, which I'm not into. In general, I don't think they are nice dishes, but 'crass ahd shitty' is a little harsh, not to mention hilarious.

As for Pat's beverage, yuck. How do you make eggnog with no eggs? And what would nonfat half and half be?
Title: Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
Post by: Bozack on December 26, 2004, 04:18:17 am
I'm really wondering about Beef's trailer park thing. Is he trying to stay in touch with his roots?
Title: Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
Post by: Mantonio on December 26, 2004, 07:14:53 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
I'm really wondering about Beef's trailer park thing. Is he trying to stay in touch with his roots?


Oh great. Now Phillipe's going to have TWO *****s to tell him lies. (Maybe three when baby Ash learns to talk.)
Title: Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
Post by: Gimpson on December 27, 2004, 02:01:45 pm
Beef's Christmas visit to Molly got me all choked up.  

Those crazy kids, I knew they'd work it out...
Title: Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
Post by: CortJstr on December 27, 2004, 02:08:47 pm
Whoo Molly! Take that all you people sure it was over!

I'm a little disappointed in Mr. Bear though. He thought his CD was a wonderful gift before he saw the price. Maybe Teodor thought he'd like that better than something more expensive just for the sake of being more expensive.
Title: Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
Post by: wombat on December 27, 2004, 03:19:29 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Whoo Molly! Take that all you people sure it was over!


Awwww.  Awwww.

But how did we not know Beef was into trainspotting?

Speaking of nerds... that thing Chris does with having all the same socks so he doesn't have to sort them, my husband does it too.  This reveals a very deep nerdly streak in my opinion.
Title: Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
Post by: Gimpson on December 27, 2004, 03:50:01 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Speaking of nerds... that thing Chris does with having all the same socks so he doesn't have to sort them, my husband does it do.  This reveals a very deep nerdly streak in my opinion.


As do I.  More evidence to support your hypothesis.
Title: Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
Post by: Bozack on December 27, 2004, 04:28:33 pm
Yeah, I try and buy socks with no distinguishing marks. Also, I wear my Frye boots to formal occasions, because they KIND OF look like dress shoes, if you can't see the shaft, and then I don't have to wear black dress socks! I HATE black dress socks!

God, can we start a thread where we just do the Chris Onstad gift treatment? If I start that, would I be the only poster?
Title: Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
Post by: Nabubrush on December 27, 2004, 05:10:43 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
God, can we start a thread where we just do the Chris Onstad gift treatment? If I start that, would I be the only poster?


We'll see, won't we?

WON'T WE?
Title: Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
Post by: palm trees on December 27, 2004, 07:52:04 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"
Beef's Christmas visit to Molly got me all choked up.  

Those crazy kids, I knew they'd work it out...


i think i had a Tender Moment, too
Title: Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
Post by: Turbo Ninja on December 27, 2004, 08:39:14 pm
I would like to buy ...And Justice For All or a big tea mug for Chris Onstad.  He should totally assemble an Amazon wish list so I could spend $14.95 on a 20 oz. Timolino Soho mug (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000153EIO/qid=1104179423/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl79/104-1792757-2625532?v=glance&s=kitchen&n=507846) for him.  

It's not the same as buying a t-shirt or lip balm, but it's $15 he doesn't have to spend and I'd know I was helping him enjoy a proper quantity of hot tea.
Title: Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
Post by: Chris Onstad on December 27, 2004, 08:57:57 pm
Quote from: "superock101"
IHe should totally assemble an Amazon wish list


Are you serious? You guys would give me presents? Wow. Maybe I should...unless you're just setting me up for a big Sadness.
Title: Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
Post by: Nabubrush on December 27, 2004, 09:29:26 pm
Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
Quote from: "superock101"
IHe should totally assemble an Amazon wish list


Are you serious? You guys would give me presents? Wow. Maybe I should...unless you're just setting me up for a big Sadness.


You know I'd get on board. There's plenty more bourbon out there. (Though maybe it'd be Monopolowa this time - I'm liking that).
Title: Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
Post by: CortJstr on December 27, 2004, 09:38:15 pm
Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
Quote from: "superock101"
IHe should totally assemble an Amazon wish list

Are you serious? You guys would give me presents? Wow. Maybe I should...unless you're just setting me up for a big Sadness.

It's either really sweet or really creepy.

I know a few columnists who have Wish Lists. And the advice column on Salon Personals guaranteed they'd answer your letter/review your ad if you bought them something. So it worked out nicely for everybody.
Title: Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
Post by: wombat on December 27, 2004, 09:46:54 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
And the advice column on Salon Personals guaranteed they'd answer your letter/review your ad if you bought them something.


This could get out of hand... I have sad visions of cameo appearances in the strip being traded for bottles of Ketel One.

But yeah, you know, I'd buy you something, although I'd probably rather do it anonymously so you didn't know how creepy I was.  And your little dog too.
Title: Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
Post by: Turbo Ninja on December 27, 2004, 10:30:50 pm
I'd much rather buy Chris a mug or a CD than buy a tube of Achewood lip balm for myself.

Particularly that mug.  Tea is good and should be enjoyed.  If I thought I could help Chris have tea the way he's helped me have Ray Steak and Diamond Juice, it would be a good day for me.  I just thought a dude who made a cookbook and can go on at length about r i s o t t o would already know all about tea.
Title: Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
Post by: wombat on December 27, 2004, 10:44:34 pm
Quote from: "superock101"
 I just thought a dude who made a cookbook and can go on at length about r i s o t t o would already know all about tea.


Um, yeah... That's usually oolong tea they give you in Chinese restaurants, actually, isn't it? Not green. Maybe it's different on the West coast?
Title: Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
Post by: AugustWest on December 27, 2004, 11:12:32 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Whoo Molly! Take that all you people sure it was over!


Speaking of nerds... that thing Chris does with having all the same socks so he doesn't have to sort them, my husband does it too.  This reveals a very deep nerdly streak in my opinion.


Uh, I do this too.  I buy tons of the same white or gray atheletic socks so that they are interchangeable.  With dress socks I usually buy very distinctive patterns so they're easy to match up or several pairs of the same patterns.  I learned years ago that numerous pairs of socks that are only a tiny shade different are a huge pain in ass to sort.
Title: Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
Post by: AugustWest on December 27, 2004, 11:18:45 pm
Black low-top Chuck's for Christmas?  Beef, you rock!
Title: Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on December 27, 2004, 11:35:50 pm
Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
Quote from: "superock101"
IHe should totally assemble an Amazon wish list


Are you serious? You guys would give me presents? Wow. Maybe I should...unless you're just setting me up for a big Sadness.


It's like camwhoring, except without a cam or whoring. SIGN MY GUESTBOOK!
Title: Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
Post by: evan on December 28, 2004, 01:16:14 am
When Onstad says he got an airplane-size bottle of Jägermeister, does he mean a tiny little bottle like the ones you get in first class or a bottle the size of an airplane?
Title: Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on December 28, 2004, 01:24:09 am
Quote from: "evan"
When Onstad says he got an airplane-size bottle of Jägermeister, does he mean a tiny little bottle like the ones you get in first class or a bottle the size of an airplane?


Judging from the recent insanity we've seen in the comics, I'll favor the latter.
Title: Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
Post by: St_Zartan on December 28, 2004, 07:26:49 am
Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
Quote from: "superock101"
IHe should totally assemble an Amazon wish list


Are you serious? You guys would give me presents? Wow. Maybe I should...unless you're just setting me up for a big Sadness.


Unless you want to see an eight page thread fawning over / mocking your taste(s) in consumer goods, I'd advise against it. Yeah, that Best of Ray Stevens DVD was for research purposes only.

Then again, presents from strangers - and it's almost like they took the time to think it out! So.

Back on topic: I am really looking forward to reading about how Pat's trail mix went over. He really feels like he went the extra mile, and he really expects to be recognized for it. This last entry was almost sympathetic, in a sixty-court-ordered-hours-visiting-shut-ins kind of way.
Title: Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
Post by: Chris Onstad on December 28, 2004, 09:16:58 am
I put together a small list of things I could think of that were also for sale!

Chris Onstad's Back-To-School Supplies, Winter Quarter (http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/registry.html/ref=wlem-si-html_viewall/002-6965862-3896864?id=3FG5JVBBWZYDT)

It is just a start. Check back often to see lists of things that I sit around and want.
Title: Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
Post by: CortJstr on December 28, 2004, 01:47:39 pm
Do you think that it is rad to like The Clash, Chris?

Oh, wait. That is rad. As you were.
Title: Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
Post by: ndpatel on December 28, 2004, 07:47:33 pm
man, if you're going to ask for london calling then you might as well ask for the ultra-hot new version with the pack-in dvd and extra cd of all the practice tapes.

it's worth it just to see guy stevens swinging a ladder at mick jones in the studio.
Title: Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
Post by: Nabubrush on December 28, 2004, 08:33:01 pm
Does that just have to be a pain in the ass?
Title: Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
Post by: jough on December 28, 2004, 10:25:03 pm
How can you not have London Calling already?
Title: Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
Post by: CortJstr on December 28, 2004, 10:35:47 pm
Quote from: "jough"
How can you not have London Calling already?

Quote from: "Onstad"
All the Clash albums, which were stolen out of my car a few years back. I am still angry about this. The Clash would have wanted me to be angry, and to have taken action, but I did not take action. I am 1 for 2, The Clash.
Title: Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
Post by: Bozack on December 29, 2004, 02:11:45 am
I should say something about how it is silly to like the Cure, but I don't even have the heart.
Title: Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
Post by: AugustWest on December 29, 2004, 02:56:22 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
I should say something about how it is silly to like the Cure, but I don't even have the heart.


Thanks for resisting the urge.
Title: Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
Post by: AugustWest on December 29, 2004, 03:26:06 pm
Seals and Crofts Greatest Hits?

Ahahahahaha!

Is that Summer Breeze makin' you feel fine, Chris?
Title: Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
Post by: St_Zartan on December 29, 2004, 03:35:40 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Is that Summer Breeze makin' you feel fine, Chris?


(http://www.girlpower.gov/AdultsWhoCare/images/Otherlogo/nbc.jpg)
Title: Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
Post by: Nabubrush on December 29, 2004, 07:06:28 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Seals and Crofts Greatest Hits?

Ahahahahaha!

Is that Summer Breeze makin' you feel fine, Chris?


Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
Don't try to be some cool dick.
Title: Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
Post by: Turbo Ninja on December 29, 2004, 07:58:03 pm
In September I had a bunch of CD's stolen from my car, along with two mostly-melted Snickers bars and a genuine surplus Blackwatch kilt.

The theif emptied out my entire CD rack except for two discs.  One is a mix my friend burned for me and it has zero resale value.  I can understand leaving this one behind.

Seeing the other CD he left behind, however, made me LOL.  The theif chose not to steal "It's Not Funny" by David Cross.

It had the digi-pak and everything, the disc is in good condition, it doesn't have any distinguishing marks.  The thief just couldn't be bothered to take it, which I would take as an insult if I were David Cross.
 
The perpetrator had already crossed moral lines by entering my car, pilfering my recorded music and ethnic costume and stealing some delicious chocolate bars from the center armrest console.  It's not like taking the Cross CD would have put him over the top in the eyes of the law, so I can only assume that the thief took what he did because he liked it and he left what he did because he didn't like it.  
 
There isn't much of a market for "Dr. Scott's Best of 2003 Mix," even at the least picky of record stores, so I can see leaving that behind.
 
But a near-mint copy of It's Not Funny?  It makes me think a particular thief was making some kind of statement.
 
"I'll take these two melted Snickers bars and I'll take an odd garment that probably won't fit anyone I know, and I'll even take is ridiculous Andrew WK CD, but I'm not about to lower myself to David Cross' level," I bet he thought as he picked up the CD, read the (admittedly misleading) track listing on the inside cover, and put it back where he found it.
 
Whatever.  At least I still have something to listen to in the car, and having this backstory now makes the CD even funnier.
Title: Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
Post by: Va on December 29, 2004, 08:09:20 pm
I think David Cross is hilarious and incredibly talented, but after watching "Let America Laugh" and finding out what an infantile dick he really is, I find myself newly reluctant to engange in transactions which will result in some of my money ending up in his pocket.  Yeah, I bought Mr. Show, but I'm renting Arrested Development, dammit.
Title: Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
Post by: Gimpson on December 29, 2004, 08:19:43 pm
Quote from: "Va"
I think David Cross is hilarious and incredibly talented, but after watching "Let America Laugh" and finding out what an infantile dick he really is, I find myself newly reluctant to engange in transactions which will result in some of my money ending up in his pocket.  Yeah, I bought Mr. Show, but I'm renting Arrested Development, dammit.


I had the same reaction to "Shut Up You fuck*ng Baby".  I just didn't find it all that amusing, it was mostly just David being angry.  (Not that that isn't a legitimate comedy technique, Mr. Hicks just did it better.)  

I still insist on watching Arrested Development every week, though.  It was worth watching this whole season just to see Tobias use his Blue Man Group camouflage to spy on Lindsay.
Title: Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
Post by: Nabubrush on December 29, 2004, 08:24:58 pm
GTA:SA has pretty much ruined David Cross for me, and I loved Mr. Show. Damn you, PS2 . . . Damn you to HELL!
Title: Blogs - 22nd to 28th - December 2004
Post by: Turbo Ninja on December 29, 2004, 08:43:36 pm
I thought Let America Laugh was more painful than it was entertaining but it should be mandatory viewing for any and all aspiring comics because it showed how lousy the life of a stand-up comedian can be.  David Cross is a legitimate talent with a legitimate career and he still had a crummy time on the road.  I think seeing what he had to go through would make a lesser comedian think twice about touring and one less lousy stand-up act on the road would make the world a better place.