The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Bobby Isosceles on December 24, 2004, 12:11:19 am
-
The mane wouldn't work on Cornelius because ur-bears did not have manes. Come on, Ray and Beef!
Edit: are there any extant members of the Manson Family?
Today's video: Finnish rappers, David Lee Roth clone on a harmonica and gratuitious workplace sexual harassment! (http://www.tunne.net/renegades.mpg)
Edit: I love the way the stuffy guy indicates his secretary should leave with what appears to be a Hitler salute.
-
I firmly believe the title of this thread should've been "crusing for the fretful porpentine."
That being said,
DANG Cornelius, you'd've thought that getting shot might make a man re-evaluate his strategies, but apparently it just makes him the subject of much drunken tomfoolery.
There's got to be some nice anthropomorphic creature in the underground fit for a man (bear?) of Cornelius' erudite loquaciousness.
acoxcae
-
I firmly believe the title of this thread should've been "crusing for the fretful porpentine."
That being said,
DANG Cornelius, you'd've thought that getting shot might make a man re-evaluate his strategies, but apparently it just makes him the subject of much drunken tomfoolery.
There's got to be some nice anthropomorphic creature in the underground fit for a man (bear?) of Cornelius' erudite loquaciousness.
acoxcae
Maya Angelou?
-
Hmm...maybe. But I'm not sure how she'd look with a mane.
(If bear's ancestors had 'em, so did females, I say.)
-
I firmly believe the title of this thread should've been "crusing for the fretful porpentine."
I respectfully disagree. "Dude needs mane" is the only possible title.
-
I firmly believe the title of this thread should've been "crusing for the fretful porpentine."
I respectfully disagree. "Dude needs mane" is the only possible title.
Agreed! I came to the forum immediately expecing to see it, and was completely disappointed. Oh well. But that panel is perfect.
-
I like the little wrist-manes. -comment removed as it no longer applies-
I looked to see where I knew "fretful porpentine" from, and it says Willy Shake and PG Wodehouse . . . so it's got to be PG.
-
Wodehouse, of course. He used the term to great ends in Jeeves In The Morning, I think it was.
-
You know, I always got a bit of a PG feel from Nate Small, and (now) Lyle, and Cornelius. Even Téodor, to an extent. That's just sublime.
Also, damn dogg, you are quick as shit. And the Lyle shirt is sweet!
-
Should have known Onstad was a Wodehouse reader. I'm a relatively late arrival to the appreciation of PG, but I'm making up for lost time.
-
You should check out the Jeeves/Wooster PBS stuff with Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie, if you haven't. For those who don't know, they were also in Blackadder and had a bit in a Young Ones episode.
-
I've seen a couple of them, years ago. Seen all the Blackadders.
-
They've got a bit in one Young Ones episode, on a game show - also featuring a very young Emma Thompson.
-
Should have known Onstad was a Wodehouse reader. I'm a relatively late arrival to the appreciation of PG, but I'm making up for lost time.
Maybe I ought to check out some Wodehouse. Is he the type of writer a fan of Evelyn Waugh might enjoy?
-
He's the type of author anyone who knows how to read would enjoy.
Sorry, I do that from time to time. If your idea of the pinnacle of high comedy is the film "Dumb and Dumber," you might not enjoy his work. I'd really say if you like Cornelius Bear, there are certainly parallels.
-
Oh, dang! Wodehouse! Perfect for X-mas break reading.
Anyway, another really awesome one. Delish.
-
He's the type of author anyone who knows how to read would enjoy.
Wodehouse is on my short list of authors I need to check out. The hardest part is picking the first book. Any suggestions?
-
It's all good - I think it would be hard to recommend anything in particular. All the Jeeves and Wooster stuff is pretty good. I like the Golf Omnibus. I have "The Most of PG Wodehouse" - a collection - it's a good introduction. Sees it Through and Code of the Woosters are good. It's not like we're talking about Umberto Eco or something, if you know what I mean.
-
A friend of mine who has always had truly excellent advice about books has been telling me for years and years to read Wodehouse and for some reason I just don't. It's gotten to the point that it's turned into a joke that I'm saving Wodehouse so that I have something to look forward to reading in the nursing home when I'm old. And she can look forward to saying "I told you so!"
-
Wodehouse is like the John LeCarre of light comic novels.
-
Wodehouse is like the chocolate babies of Englishmen.
-
Wodehouse is like the John LeCarre of light comic novels.
I haven't the foggiest idea what that could possibly mean, but I assume it's praise?
Hmm, the friend in question made me read all of LeCarre once, too.
-
Wodehouse is like the John LeCarre of light comic novels.
I haven't the foggiest idea what that could possibly mean, but I assume it's praise?
Hmm, the friend in question made me read all of LeCarre once, too.
Hmmm. I guess I meant that they are both highly accomplished stylists that transcend their genre.
What did you think of LeCarre?
-
It was a long time ago I read him, but this is what I remember thinking of LeCarre: that spying was like the eighth grade, only with worse consequences. It was all about what clique you were in, who you were loyal to, and who you lied to. This is probably something only a girl would think.
I don't remember having any particular opinion of him as a writer, oddly. Obviously he was good or I wouldn't have read them all. It's possible he was the kind of writer who was so good at what he did that I didn't notice the mechanics. I don't remember him as the kind of writer where you kept stopping to say "MY god, that's a fine sentence." But there's something to be said for a style that isn't always hitting you over the head as a style, and I wonder if that was it?
Dang, now you've got me thinking I need to go read one again. Which is the best one?
-
I don't remember him as the kind of writer where you kept stopping to say "MY god, that's a fine sentence."
I find, with both of them, that I kept stopping to say, "MY god, that's a fine analysis of the human condition." Then, while I was stopped I noticed what fine sentences they'd constructed.
As to a recommendation for LeCarre works, I guess the standard is the :) triology -- Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy; The Honourable Schoolboy; and :)'s People. One of his later works that I especially enjoyed was Our Game. I listened to it on tape (unabridged) rather than actually reading it, for whatever that is worth. Anyhow, I found it highly satisfying on several levels.