The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: Asherdan on December 30, 2004, 04:43:14 pm

Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: Asherdan on December 30, 2004, 04:43:14 pm
eat it, shitty years

(https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s---uBhIrEa--/oqil2ysvksn6vmluk2of.gif)
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: AugustWest on December 30, 2004, 05:42:47 pm
Dude!  This too shall pass.  Hang tough and read some Achewood.  Maybe you should start at the beginning of the archives and read forward.  It'll cheer you up.

Next year will be better.
Title: Re: C'mon '05!
Post by: side_show on December 30, 2004, 05:50:52 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
the final straw hit me on Tuesday morning.  Literally.


Dude, a straw did that to your car?

2003 was my year of the shit hitting the fan, and as I sat with my drugged out, broken armed SO who had just been laid off from his job, looking back on a year where I had to leave a job after being sexually harrassed and was forced to take on a call-centre job to avoid the poor house, I was oh-so-very happy to bid the year adieu.

Better things are on their way Asherdan.  2004?  Let's put this bitch in the ground!
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: side_show on December 30, 2004, 06:07:39 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Thanks, I am reading this (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0517149257/qid=1104429494/sr=8-3/ref=pd_csp_3/104-1525421-4923901?v=glance&s=books&n=507846) gift and studiously NOT PANICKING.


I have this beautiful leather bound collection of all the hitchhiker's guides, but I've yet to read any of them.  SciFi is definitly not what I read, but those books were so damn popular at the used bookstore I used to work at that I decided to pick up the collection when it came in.  (Sadly they're making a movie of the books, which sounds really disasterous.)
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: jough on December 30, 2004, 06:16:53 pm
Well, there was already a BBC TV series about the first two books that were actually pretty good.  But Ford Prefect, who is described as a non-descript Brit, being played by rapper Mos Def?  WTF?

Anyway, 2004 was a bad year for many, although of course it sounds like it was worse for a lot of you than it was for me.  Still, I will be happy to look forward to 2005, which I am dubbing the "Year of Prosperity."

I always name the years before the beginning of the year - and they always have optimistic names.  1999 was the "Year of Living Dangerously."  God DAMN was that a good year.  Mmm-hmmm.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: side_show on December 30, 2004, 06:28:44 pm
I really enjoy this idea jough.  I like the idea of setting an agenda rather than a resolution, that pleases me.  I'll have to think on what my 2005 will be "the year of."

Happy New Year to all!  I'll be drinking wine and watch the needles drop of the x-mas tree.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: Gimpson on December 30, 2004, 06:37:21 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I always name the years before the beginning of the year - and they always have optimistic names.  1999 was the "Year of Living Dangerously."  God DAMN was that a good year.  Mmm-hmmm.


What name was given to 2004 last year?
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 30, 2004, 07:15:17 pm
Ash, you're doing it right. That's a hell of a list, though, I don't even know what Meniere's is (although I am sitting at an internect connected computer so it seems stupid to ask).

I'm just glad this Christmas, the worst thing that happened was we managed to overdraw the checking account right before payday. Beats getting robbed again. And, this year, I'm glad  that I'm not a rich guy who decided to spend Christmas on the beach in Thailand.

I've been kind of lucky in that the last few years I have experienced economic growth. These past two years have been less so because of living in a remarkably expensive place, but I've been counting blessings and it's good. Even with the bad stuff that happened the last two Christmases, I'm pretty sure I'm still ahead.

The secret to counting blessings, I think, is to use a very liberal definition of blessing. I guess my developing/maturing sense of faith is making it easier to do that...anyhow, here's to 2005 and everything being better for everyone.

Cheers!
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: Bozack on December 30, 2004, 08:25:13 pm
Yeah, this year kinda sucked for everyone, I think. But I think that moving on is the best idea.
I think 2005 will be the year of "Low-Level, Managable Substance Abuse," as all of my Christmas money is being used to fund the purchase of a Vaporizor.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: wombat on December 30, 2004, 08:49:09 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"


The secret to counting blessings, I think, is to use a very liberal definition of blessing.


Hear, hear.

I've decided the secret to New Year's resolutions is, similarly, to have very low expectations.  My main resolution is to remember to start watching "Good Eats" again.

I love the idea of giving the year a title in advance.  I have decided that 2005 will be "The year in which it turns out that Wombat was right."
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: jough on December 30, 2004, 08:51:31 pm
2004 was "The Year of Change and Light" since 2003 was a rather dark year around these parts.

2004 lived up to its name.  I fully expect 2005 to truly be the "Year of Prosperity."
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: Nabubrush on December 30, 2004, 09:01:39 pm
2005: The year that

Quote from: "jough"
Ford Prefect, who is described as a non-descript Brit, being played by rapper Mos Def?


turns out not to be true.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: jough on December 30, 2004, 11:01:49 pm
Mos Def is not playing Ford?

Then who is?

From IMDB:
Credited cast:
Martin Freeman   ....    Arthur Dent
Mos Def   ....    Ford Prefect
Sam Rockwell   ....    Zaphod Beeblebrox
Zooey Deschanel   ....    Tricia McMillan ("Trillian")
Bill Nighy   ....    Slartibartfast

Also, the unofficial movie website says it's official:

http://www.h2g2movie.com/pages/whoswho.html

I like Mos Def as much as the next guy, but I also like RIGHT CASTING.

From H2G2's entry on Ford Prefect:
Quote
Ford is the semi-cousin of Zaphod Beeblebrox. The radio series and BBC mini-series gives us some more information on that, when Zaphod introduces Ford to Trillian as his semi-cousin “who shares three of the same mothers as me.”

He's not conspicuously tall, and his features are “striking but not conspicuously handsome.” His hair is wiry, almost a ginger color, and brushed backwards from the temples. His skin “seemed to be pulled backwards from the nose.” He rarely blinked, and he usually did only when surprised. He always smiled a bit too wide and too much, giving people the impression that he was about to “go for their neck.”


Mos Def?  Mos' Def'nately NOT!
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: Nabubrush on December 30, 2004, 11:52:32 pm
Well, you said you named the year beforehand, and hoped that/expected that/were happy if the name turned out to accurately represent the year. So I thought that I would give 2005 a name that I hoped would turn out to be accurate. Curse me for trying to be clever.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: CortJstr on December 31, 2004, 12:34:30 am
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Well, you said you named the year beforehand, and hoped that/expected that/were happy if the name turned out to accurately represent the year. So I thought that I would give 2005 a name that I hoped would turn out to be accurate. Curse me for trying to be clever.

The Year of Oral Sex!
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: Nabubrush on December 31, 2004, 12:41:32 am
Well, I ain't gonna CJ it, but somebody was promising that around here recently. Of course if it was you, how helpful is that?



"The Year I Get A Job As The Boot And Not The Neck"
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: wombat on December 31, 2004, 03:54:24 am
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"


"The Year I Get A Job As The Boot And Not The Neck"


Oh, if only.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: Bozack on December 31, 2004, 04:08:24 am
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Well, I ain't gonna CJ it, but somebody was promising that around here recently. Of course if it was you, how helpful is that?


God, IT WAS ME.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: Nabubrush on December 31, 2004, 02:48:56 pm
Bozack is my favorite.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: slink on December 31, 2004, 06:40:22 pm
Quote from: "jough"

I always name the years before the beginning of the year - and they always have optimistic names.  1999 was the "Year of Living Dangerously."  God DAMN was that a good year.  Mmm-hmmm.


I kind of did that the other day. This shall be "the year of the kick ass record and maybe a book". Might not be a great year but it has to get done.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: Nabubrush on December 31, 2004, 07:58:30 pm
I would like a kick ass record, please. Unless you mean like eating 50 hard-boiled eggs in an hour (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061512/?fr=c2l0ZT1kZnxteD0yMHxzZz0xfGxtPTIwMHx0dD1vbnxwbj0wfHE9Y29vbCBoYW5kIGx1a2V8aHRtbD0xfG5tPW9u;fc=1;ft=2;fm=1) or something.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 01, 2005, 12:46:46 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Well, I ain't gonna CJ it, but somebody was promising that around here recently. Of course if it was you, how helpful is that?


God, IT WAS ME.


I'll be closing my eyes and picturing the avatar. No talking, please.

Also, I move to amend the name to : "2005, the Year of Receiving Oral Sex." That should work for everyone.

So HAPPY NEW YEAR to all!

By the time midnight rolls around here, it will be 5 am for many of you, and we'll get started on the second bag of fireworks which, fortunately, are cheap, plentiful and available at every grocery and drug store around. Pretty good ones, too.

We got two shopping bags of assorted pyromaniacal novelties for about 20 dollars! Hopefully 2005 won't be 'The Year I Learned Braille' or "The Year I got fitted for a hook".
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 01, 2005, 01:26:26 am
I miss New Years' parties, a little bit.  But as I listen to the littlest del Vaca babbling while Mrs. del Vaca attempts to get her to go to sleep, I'm fine with hanging out at home tonight.  I'll proclaim 2005 "The Year of Winning the World Series of Poker."  Happy new year, evry'buddy.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: Nabubrush on January 01, 2005, 02:12:42 am
I'm just going to go ahead and stay at work for the next hour, then eat institutional food, and then crawl into my single bed and think about my wife, who is thousands of miles away right now.

Did I ruin your little holiday? Good!



Actually, it's ok, because it's BURGER NIGHT!!!
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: andalucia on January 01, 2005, 02:20:34 am
Not ruined, cause I'm already, it seems, staying home to work, as the friend I was supposed to hang out with hasn't gotten in touch and is presumed still in Vermont.  I haven't gone quite so far as to go buy myself a bottle of cheap wine from the dep yet, but it remains the least awesome New Years in recent memory.  
Ah well, at least I'm back from Ontario.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: wombat on January 01, 2005, 03:08:22 am
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I'm just going to go ahead and stay at work for the next hour, then eat institutional food, and then crawl into my single bed and think about my wife, who is thousands of miles away right now.

Did I ruin your little holiday? Good!


Nabu's cranky because he's not getting any.

Really, can't you get a job closer to home?  I can't stand even hearing about this.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: AugustWest on January 01, 2005, 03:11:06 am
We just got back from seeing National Treasure which was the most god awful pile of steaming hyena droppings I've ever seen in my life.  Later Mrs. West and I will pop a bottle of champagne and share it.  We'll have a nice little kiss at midnight and go to bed.   New Years isn't a big holiday for us.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 01, 2005, 03:48:00 am
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I'm just going to go ahead and stay at work for the next hour, then eat institutional food, and then crawl into my single bed and think about my wife, who is thousands of miles away right now.

Did I ruin your little holiday? Good!



Actually, it's ok, because it's BURGER NIGHT!!!


Dude! Are you offshore on a drilling rig or something? It sounds cool, except for the big part where it sucks.

AW: War and Peace it wasn't, but I liked National Treasure. I knew it was a Disney film going in and I lowered my expectations accordingly - sorry your mileage was so shitty, though. It was pretty much just mental floss for me and I liked it OK. Hardly any kissin', no cusses, no one's gettin' naked, no real violence, just a lot of chasing around and clues (and a really over-the-top final destination for the happy heroes). It was nice to go to a 'Family" movie that wasn't animated or computer generated. That said, yeah, it was somewhat vapid and empty and a thinking man could go a long way into deconstructing it very disfavorably but I avoided thinking througout and good thing too....one thumb up and one thumb down.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: Nabubrush on January 01, 2005, 04:17:27 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Dude! Are you offshore on a drilling rig or something? It sounds cool, except for the big part where it sucks.


I work here (http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?t=2&s=14&x=138&y=2433&z=6&w=1&qs=%7cDeadhoss%7cAlaska%7c). We TALKED about this!

And this building (http://www.clutter.net/alaska/arco1.jpg) is just down the block. Right now it looks just the same, except the photo would be totally white. My office window is totally obscured by a 25 foot tall drift of snow.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: AugustWest on January 01, 2005, 05:06:12 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

AW: War and Peace it wasn't, but I liked National Treasure. I knew it was a Disney film going in and I lowered my expectations accordingly - sorry your mileage was so shitty, though. It was pretty much just mental floss for me and I liked it OK. Hardly any kissin', no cusses, no one's gettin' naked, no real violence, just a lot of chasing around and clues (and a really over-the-top final destination for the happy heroes). It was nice to go to a 'Family" movie that wasn't animated or computer generated. That said, yeah, it was somewhat vapid and empty and a thinking man could go a long way into deconstructing it very disfavorably but I avoided thinking througout and good thing too....one thumb up and one thumb down.


I would be the last person in the world to damn mindless movies.  I can suspend disbelief as well as the next guy.  But there is a limit.  Some stuff is just too obviously stupid to be even vaguely realistic and that's jarring.  I just thought this movie really stunk it up, despite the presence of some great actors.  Give me a Jackie Chan movie over this crap anytime.  I've heard comparisons to the Indiana Jones movies and I'm sorry, but other than as relates to budget NT isn't even in the same ballpark.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: AugustWest on January 01, 2005, 05:09:16 am
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Dude! Are you offshore on a drilling rig or something? It sounds cool, except for the big part where it sucks.


I work here (http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?t=2&s=14&x=138&y=2433&z=6&w=1&qs=%7cDeadhoss%7cAlaska%7c). We TALKED about this!

And this building (http://www.clutter.net/alaska/arco1.jpg) is just down the block. Right now it looks just the same, except the photo would be totally white. My office window is totally obscured by a 25 foot tall drift of snow.


Holy, holy, holy crap!  You work at like the end of the fuck*ng earth!  Compared to you, Linnea lives in Manhattan!  When's the last time you saw the sun?  Man.  That would absolutely kill me.  

What is it exactly that you do up there?  I hope to hell it pays well.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: jough on January 01, 2005, 07:23:22 am
Didn't you move to Portland to be closer to your finceé/wife though?  We thought you were away from AK.

Anyway, happy new year everyone.   I drank about half a bottle of the nice old Glenlivet (or "THE Glenlivet" as the bottle says) which is nearly as old as I am, and I am drowsy.  I also bit off a nice chunk of the tip of my tongue earlier somehow and my entire head is throbbing.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: Nabubrush on January 01, 2005, 02:41:07 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Didn't you move to Portland to be closer to your finceé/wife though?  We thought you were away from AK.

Anyway, happy new year everyone.   I drank about half a bottle of the nice old Glenlivet (or "THE Glenlivet" as the bottle says) which is nearly as old as I am, and I am drowsy.  I also bit off a nice chunk of the tip of my tongue earlier somehow and my entire head is throbbing.


So that went good for you. Yeah, I moved to PDX to be near her, but I didn't give up my job or anything. Right now I'm working as a petroleum engineer dealing with well integrity issues. I supervise a crew of 7 technicians who go into the field and test the wells (I used to work on that crew).

As for this:

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Holy, holy, holy crap! You work at like the end of the fuck*ng earth! Compared to you, Linnea lives in Manhattan! When's the last time you saw the sun? Man. That would absolutely kill me.


it's sort of like comparing apples and different, smaller apples. I've spent some time where Linnea is, and it's almost more of the same. The only difference is that she actually lives there, with other people who live there, and nobody lives where I am - we just go back and forth in 1, 2, or 3 week shifts. The Aleutians are a bit more picturesque, though. I think they are warmer, too, but I've never been there in winter.

It's normally somewhere around 20 to 30 degrees below zero here, with a 20 to 30 mph wind. I'll leave it to you to figure the wind chill. The worst conditions I've actually worked outside in here was a lovely stretch of -100+ degree wind chill conditions, at one point reaching 125 degrees below zero. It's all about layers, people.

And yes, it pays extremely well. If I could get a job making half as much in Portland, I'd do that, though.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: wombat on January 01, 2005, 03:43:11 pm
If this is what you need to put up with to get petroleum, I am now going to feel even more guilty every time I put gas in my car.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: Nabubrush on January 01, 2005, 04:18:25 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
If this is what you need to put up with to get petroleum, I am now going to feel even more guilty every time I put gas in my car.


Don't feel bad, Wombat. If everyone in the US lived in communal, solar-heated yurts and rode in biodiesel-powered vehicles, Big Oil would still suck every drop of crude out of the round, until we reached an energy equilibrium point where it cost a barrel of oil to make a barrel of oil. Eventually the earth will look like a dried up apple.

I kind of feel like a drug dealer sometimes.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: Bozack on January 01, 2005, 05:35:12 pm
God, Deadhoss is basically the most bad-ass name for a town ever.
True to who I am and where I am from, I went to a bluegrass show last night. They rocked us into the New Year with a cover of "And She Was," which is even MORE awesome when you hear it on guitar, upright bass, banjo, mandolin and accordion.
Andalucia, how did your night end? Please tell me something happier than alone with a bottle of 2-buck Chuck!
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: andalucia on January 01, 2005, 08:31:58 pm
Would that I could, Bozack, but it although instead of wine, I ended up opting for a heavy dose of David Foster Wallace, it really was a less than stellar evening, to the effect that Vermont-boy is probably going to have to start the new year with a new girlfriend.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 01, 2005, 09:07:02 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Would that I could, Bozack, but it although instead of wine, I ended up opting for a heavy dose of David Foster Wallace, it really was a less than stellar evening, to the effect that Vermont-boy is probably going to have to start the new year with a new girlfriend.


Damn, too bad for him. And you too. Especially you since I don't care about him. At least you both have access to vast amounts of maple syrup.

Nabu, I thought you left that behind when you moved, too. That was why I was confused. Man what a desolate, unforgiving place.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: V-Adore on January 02, 2005, 02:09:33 am
Thus far, 2005 is the "Year of Being On Airplanes." I am hopeful that it will instead be the "Year of Awesomeness, Decisiveness, and Inner Tranquility," because if I need anything right now, it's a life path and some kind of calmness about it.

My sympathies to all who had shitty years; I, personally, had a pretty wretched first quarter followed by an otherwise decent year.

For those curious about festivities, I spent all night last night packing and IMing with a high-school friend who was ludicrously, comically drunk, to the point that I'm still not sure it wasn't a Candid AIM thing and the log is going up on baiting.org right now. It's terrifying to realize that the same guy you played AD&D with in ninth grade is now raving about how many tequila shots he just did and how he doesn't know where he is.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: Nabubrush on January 02, 2005, 03:42:05 am
Just so you folks don't feel too terribly bad, they brought in 400 lbs of king crab on Christmas, and probably twice that much in massive prawns tonight.

But enjoy your ramen.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: V-Adore on January 02, 2005, 04:38:36 am
How big does a prawn have to be to be a "massive" prawn, anyway? It's going to bug me until I get an answer.

(Also: I can't speak for others, but around here, ramen is not an ubiquitous college food. This is because, due to a problem, nobody here can use a microwave worth a good goddamn, so the microwaves become officially Code Red Disgusting within a month and then nobody wants to make ramen in them anymore.)
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: AugustWest on January 02, 2005, 05:06:15 am
Not to diminish the deliciousity (deliciousity?) of 400 lbs of King Crab in any way whatsoever, but ramen can be delicious.  Didn't anybody else see Tampopo?
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: CortJstr on January 02, 2005, 05:09:10 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
(Also: I can't speak for others, but around here, ramen is not an ubiquitous college food. This is because, due to a problem, nobody here can use a microwave worth a good goddamn, so the microwaves become officially Code Red Disgusting within a month and then nobody wants to make ramen in them anymore.)

Random interjection: whoever came up with the concept of the microfridge is a genius. And the person who came up with the rental system where it's already in dorm when you get there is a super genius.

So far '05 has been the year of places I want to eat being closed. That's the problem with little family owned places. The massive chains may not taste as good but they were smart enough to be open today, dag nabbit.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: CortJstr on January 02, 2005, 05:15:07 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Not to diminish the deliciousity (deliciousity?) of 400 lbs of King Crab in any way whatsoever, but ramen can be delicious.  Didn't anybody else see Tampopo?

Deliciousness?

And don't forget AB's Ramen Radiator. That was quite good the time I made it.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: Nabubrush on January 02, 2005, 03:14:36 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
How big does a prawn have to be to be a "massive" prawn, anyway? It's going to bug me until I get an answer.

The size of your head.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: Bozack on January 02, 2005, 04:25:27 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
How big does a prawn have to be to be a "massive" prawn, anyway? It's going to bug me until I get an answer.

The size of your head.


Can prawns that large become riled and attack human settlements?
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: sjlimmer on January 02, 2005, 05:11:06 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
How big does a prawn have to be to be a "massive" prawn, anyway? It's going to bug me until I get an answer.

The size of your head.


2005: The year of cranium-sized shellgiraffe?

For New Years Eve, the SO and I went to the bar in town that was open (the college-kid bar was closed, since most of the college kids were still out of town).  I ate from their dinner buffet, drank too much, listened to a competent bar band, ate from their post-midnight breakfast buffet, and generally had a good time people watching and hanging out with my SO.  Until it was time to leave, anyway.  That's when 2005 became the year of breaking up fights between security guards and drunk assholes who'd been kicked out of the bar and were no trying to claw the bouncers eyes out.  

At least the bar's DD-shuttle gave us a ride home before we had to talk to the cops.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: Nabubrush on January 04, 2005, 06:51:17 pm
Oh, surely this (http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/bugatti1.htm).
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: AugustWest on January 04, 2005, 07:00:33 pm
No, no, no!  You need this (http://www.achewood.com/?date=11252002).
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: jough on January 04, 2005, 07:05:12 pm
Take the train to work, and buy one of these (http://www.ablasers.com/lw_dental.htm) instead.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: St_Zartan on January 04, 2005, 07:09:24 pm
An electrified tooth-weldin' machine is a perfectly acceptable substitute for reliable transportation.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: AugustWest on January 04, 2005, 07:41:59 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Take the train to work, and buy one of these (http://www.ablasers.com/lw_dental.htm) instead.


I would but I already have two.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: CortJstr on January 04, 2005, 08:15:16 pm
Um, hello (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A30439-2004Dec27.html)!
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 04, 2005, 08:48:21 pm
I drove a SmartCar-esque Mercedes in Germany a couple years ago.  I kind of liked it--it got me around, used little gas, my luggage fit in OK, and was indeed easy to park.  However, I missed my goal of hitting 100 MPH on the autobahn; I just didn't think the little car had what it took.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: Va on January 04, 2005, 08:52:33 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
What should I buy?


That green Jeep looks pretty sweet, but do you need 4 wheel drive?  It's just one more thing that can break.
Title: Re: C'mon '05!
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on January 04, 2005, 10:30:47 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"

In the cleansing, cleansing fire goes bad memories of:


Meniere's Disease



I am firmly going to hell for pointing out that's no way to ring in the new year.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: Nabubrush on January 04, 2005, 11:16:38 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Um, hello (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A30439-2004Dec27.html)!


Hello your own damn self.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: CortJstr on January 05, 2005, 12:01:04 am
Quote from: "Asherdan"
As far as that Smart car, I would totally consider it as a daily driver if I lived in the type of metropolitan area it would serve best in.  Out here I'd become a headline: MAN CRUSHED IN TIN CAN BY ESCALADE.

I'd also heavily consider a hybrid as a daily driver if:

A) They were available.
B) They weren't expensive (see A).
C) If there was a track record of reliability data.

Which reminds me, memo to Escalade/Excursion/&c drivers: THERE'S NO fuck*ng FOG GODDAMMIT! So turn off your stupid-ass eye-level fog lamps you inconsiderate pieces of shit.

I feel the same way about hybrids. But the last I heard the batteries cost as much to replace as I'd save in fuel during that time. Ideally costs will go down as popularity increases but with car shit one can never be sure.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: AugustWest on January 05, 2005, 01:04:20 am
My Dad has a Prius, which I am driving this month while he and Ma West are in Florida.  It's OK.  It's an '01 or '02.  Not teeny-tiny, about like a Corolla or something.  It's no V-8, but it's peppier than I thought it would be.  Lags occasionally going up hills.

One cool thing about it is you can constantly monitor where your power is coming from (engine/electric motor) and where it's going (wheels/battery).  Also, you can constantly monitor your fuel consumption, which usually hovers in the high 40's.  I had it up over 50 coming home today.  So that's cool.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: AugustWest on January 05, 2005, 01:06:32 am
Quote from: "Asherdan"
ALSO: I already had a close brother to AW's suggestion (http://www.achewood.com/?date=11252002).  It was fun.


Glad '05 is going well for you.  What was the close brother?

My first car was a '72 Ford Torino with a 351 Cleveland.  It rock-ed.  It think I could put the Prius in the trunk of that car.  Hell, I could probably put the Ranger in the trunk of that car.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: andalucia on January 05, 2005, 04:56:59 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
My second car was a '69 Ford Galaxy  (http://www.bluemoongear.com/ArchCarPics2/68FordGalaxie500.jpg)500 4 door w/ the 302.  It was like sailng a 22' yacht down the highway.  It got me through a life of college road trips due to its tremendous carrying capacity.


awesome.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: linnea on January 12, 2005, 01:31:14 am
Come along with me on a thread hijacking back thirty-odd posts!

Quote from: "sjlimmer"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
How big does a prawn have to be to be a "massive" prawn, anyway? It's going to bug me until I get an answer.

The size of your head.


2005: The year of cranium-sized shellgiraffe?


Oh, I'm sorry, did someone say cranium-sized-shellgiraffe?
 (http://Somebody nice.typepad.com/photos/crab/picture_014.html)

And damn, Nabu, Deadhoss sounds...desolate. Best of luck to you there.

Anyhow...I hope that 2005 will be my awesomest year yet.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: Nabubrush on January 12, 2005, 01:37:26 am
That's basically the crab we had for Xmas dinner.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: CortJstr on January 12, 2005, 01:45:58 am
Quote from: "linnea"
Oh, I'm sorry, did someone say cranium-sized-shellgiraffe?
 (http://Somebody nice.typepad.com/photos/crab/picture_014.html)

And damn, Nabu, Deadhoss sounds...desolate. Best of luck to you there.

Anyhow...I hope that 2005 will be my awesomest year yet.

Dammit linnea, stop being so awesome. How are the rest of us supposed to live up to this standard?
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: V-Adore on January 12, 2005, 01:55:01 am
Jesus Christ, that is one hell of a crab. Giant monster-movie-style sea bug ahoy!
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: linnea on January 12, 2005, 01:57:13 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "linnea"
Oh, I'm sorry, did someone say cranium-sized-shellgiraffe?
 (http://Somebody nice.typepad.com/photos/crab/picture_014.html)

And damn, Nabu, Deadhoss sounds...desolate. Best of luck to you there.

Anyhow...I hope that 2005 will be my awesomest year yet.

Dammit linnea, stop being so awesome. How are the rest of us supposed to live up to this standard?


CJ, I loves you. Thank you for saying that I am awesome.

I am having one hell of a great time up here. I am staying busy, which is good. I'm volunteering with the search & rescue division and becoming an EMT (class four nights a week plus Saturdays for 3 months). Anyway...To hopefully up the awesome-factor, I will post pictures of me in my EMT bunkers (bunkers is a term for uniform, I guess) once they arrive. In the interim, here is a piccie of me  (http://Somebody nice.typepad.com/photos/climbing/dcp_0621.html)during a training belay/rappel exercise for the search & rescue team.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: Bozack on January 19, 2005, 06:24:48 pm
Jesus, Ash, when you turn that thing on, does it say, "Hi, Dave." That's basically the Jeep equivalent of Knight Rider.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: jough on January 19, 2005, 07:15:47 pm
Congrats, Ash.  Is that a photo of your actual new vehicle while it is still in the showroom, or do you have a huge garage with tiny offices in it?
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: slink on January 19, 2005, 07:29:55 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Congrats, Ash.  Is that a photo of your actual new vehicle while it is still in the showroom, or do you have a huge garage with tiny offices in it?


When I build my house...
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: CortJstr on January 19, 2005, 08:14:24 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Jesus, Ash, when you turn that thing on, does it say, "Hi, Dave." That's basically the Jeep equivalent of Knight Rider.

Dave? Who's Dave? Perhaps you've confused this "Dave" person with Michael Knight, a man who does not exist.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: wombat on January 19, 2005, 11:03:44 pm
Bozack did not make an error.  Bozack is afraid that someday you're going to ask your car to open the pod bay door and it's going to say No...
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: jough on January 20, 2005, 12:42:21 am
Yeah, Ash will try to park in a handicapped spot and his Jeep will say "I'm sorry Ash, I'm afraid I can't do that."

Glowing red eyes notwithstanding, congrats on the awesome vehicle.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: Bozack on January 20, 2005, 01:11:59 am
Haha, I mixed them up in my head. Now I'm just imagining a glowing LED on the dashboard, watching you argue about whether to use Premium or just Unleaded.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 20, 2005, 04:22:30 am
Ash, if that's a purple 98 Cherokee Sport, then we are driving the exact same vehicle (assuming you got the bigger engine).

Cool.
Title: C'mon '05!
Post by: AugustWest on January 20, 2005, 04:32:36 am
I suppose that's a nice ride, but I really don't understand...