The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Bozack on December 31, 2004, 05:20:02 pm

Title: your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
Post by: Bozack on December 31, 2004, 05:20:02 pm
Wow, that is awesome. First trainspotting, now this. It's somehow BEYOND trainspotting.
Title: your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
Post by: Nabubrush on December 31, 2004, 05:32:22 pm
Man, the ink wasn't even dry, Bozack. I thought for sure I'd get this (this is probably the first time I've been within 2 hours of the comic's original posting).

The Beef-impression left in the bedclothes is tremendous! I love Beef accepting his due in the last panel. This, to me, is a perfect example of a one-off. Bizarre concept, excellent realization, and Beef shining like a diamond.

If this is the level we can expect, this will be a happy new year indeed!
Title: your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on December 31, 2004, 05:41:30 pm
I don't get it. It's not funny to me.
Title: your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
Post by: Nabubrush on December 31, 2004, 06:11:30 pm
Aaaaand . . . scene.
Title: your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
Post by: CortJstr on December 31, 2004, 06:21:47 pm
I'm waiting for the "Molly and Beef are sharing a bed again! Yay!" crowd to see this one. Their joy will be immense.
Title: your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
Post by: Formica on December 31, 2004, 06:25:29 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
I don't get it. It's not funny to me.

Really? Or are you just being snarky?

Real question, not trying to be a cock.

Anyhow, it took me a moment to take this one in, but once I did I realized the funny, as it were. To be honest, I take pleasure in the characterization of Emeril, Spongebath, and Beef getting enjoyment - even presenting one another with accolades - from applying their deductive reasoning skills and observation abilities to the sundried detritus of their neighbors. Telling the stories of a hundred jar labels while Spongebath rolls on - not quite surreal.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say Spongebath and Emeril are among Beef's best peers; their shared enthusiasms and mutual respect convey a friendship that contrasts starkly with Ray and Beef's knuckleheads-of-old relationship. Intriguing.

I also enjoy comics about cartoon cats.
Title: your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on December 31, 2004, 06:28:35 pm
Quote from: "Formica"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
I don't get it. It's not funny to me.

Really? Or are you just being snarky?

Real question, not trying to be a cock.

Anyhow, it took me a moment to take this one in, but once I did I realized the funny, as it were. To be honest, I take pleasure in the characterization of Emeril, Spongebath, and Beef getting enjoyment - even presenting one another with accolades - from applying their deductive reasoning skills and observation abilities to the sundried detritus of their neighbors. Telling the stories of a hundred jar labels while Spongebath rolls on - not quite surreal.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say Spongebath and Emeril are among Beef's best peers; their shared enthusiasms and mutual respect convey a friendship that contrasts starkly with Ray and Beef's knuckleheads-of-old relationship. Intriguing.

I also enjoy comics about cartoon cats.


Nah. I understood seperately all the things in the strip, but it didn't elicit a humorous reaction from me. That said, I was sure to qualify it with "it wasn't funny to me." I chalk this up to my limitations more than anything else.
Title: your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
Post by: wombat on December 31, 2004, 06:30:28 pm
Indeed, immense joy all around. Interesting that Beef doesn't usually wear a shirt when he's awake, but he wears a nightshirt.

I once had a fleeting urge to snoop into a neighbor's recycling.  But I decided to stick to what I'm good at and just stalk their dog.
Title: your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
Post by: Bozack on December 31, 2004, 07:25:40 pm
I don't get it. This dog-stalking....was the INTERNET involved?
Title: your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
Post by: Nabubrush on December 31, 2004, 07:53:32 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
I don't get it. It's not funny to me.


Quote from: "Somebody"
Don't try to be some cool dick.
Title: your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
Post by: jough on December 31, 2004, 08:05:04 pm
I don't know if this one is actually funny per se, but it is enjoyable.

I haven't been reading the blogs so I guess I missed that Beef and Molly are back together - I always saw the blogs as a supplement to the strips but now it seems that you would have to be aware of the blogs to get this particular strip.

I think that like anything that's come out of McSweeny's in the past... decade... this one is funny in concept (going through a neighbour's recycling to determine changes in habit and lifestyle) but then not really funny after the conceptual concept.

It reminds me of a McSweeny's that a friend sent me that was just a list of "Cool Nicknames for Jesus" - that had non-witticisms like "The Big J" and such and when I remarked that it wasn't funny they said that the actual nicknames themselves weren't supposed to be funny - what was funny was the general idea of giving nicknames to Jesus.  

I still don't think it's funny, since things that are funny tend to make me laugh and not just annoy me like an itchy waistband to a new pair of swim trunks.
Title: your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
Post by: wombat on December 31, 2004, 08:49:27 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
I don't get it. This dog-stalking....was the INTERNET involved?


No, it doesn't have to be. Not if the dog lives right in the neighborhood.
Title: your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 01, 2005, 12:17:40 am
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Aaaaand . . . scene.


The strip is a good strip, but not what I'd call a funny one.

The post by Nabu, though, is a monument to perfect phrasing and timing in the immensely difficult genre of message board humor.
Title: your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
Post by: Nabubrush on January 01, 2005, 12:46:04 am
I think that's the first one I've gotten right.

Thanks, Dawg.
Title: your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
Post by: V-Adore on January 02, 2005, 01:59:24 am
I don't think it was ever stated in the bogs per se that Molly and Beef were back together, but it's easy to infer from this strip and Molly's Christmas post. Hooray for them!

(BTW -- it's good to be back. So much to catch up on...)
Title: your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
Post by: Nabubrush on January 02, 2005, 02:17:39 am
Yes, well . . . I'll just go back to what I was doing. Carry on.
Title: your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
Post by: V-Adore on January 02, 2005, 02:19:56 am
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I don't think it was ever stated in the bogs per se that Molly and Beef were back together, but it's easy to imply from this strip and Molly's Christmas post. Hooray for them!

(BTW -- it's good to be back. So much to catch up on...)


Oh God I hate to do this . . .

infer?

You are a gentleman and a scholar, and I am a dumbass. (I blame the airlines.) Going back to edit, like a wussy coward-type.
Title: your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
Post by: jough on January 02, 2005, 04:14:42 am
You read Achewood in a bog?
Title: your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
Post by: V-Adore on January 02, 2005, 04:39:57 am
It took massive mental powers, but where there's a will and a sufficient volume of crocodiles, there's a way.
Title: your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
Post by: AugustWest on January 02, 2005, 05:08:13 am
Were there cranberries?  I like cranberries.

And snozzberries.
Title: your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
Post by: Nabubrush on January 02, 2005, 03:20:04 pm
I read Achewood in a fen.

Actually, the last two weeks I've been reading it on the tundra.
Title: your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
Post by: Bozack on January 02, 2005, 04:26:38 pm
I'm currently on the moors.


Heeeaaattthhhclifffffff!
Title: your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
Post by: wombat on January 02, 2005, 04:31:44 pm
I've always wanted to read Achewood in a fjord.
Title: your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on January 02, 2005, 06:21:48 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
I've always wanted to read Achewood in a fjord.


God knows with the Scandinavian music videos, you feel like you're in one.
Title: your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
Post by: AugustWest on January 02, 2005, 06:42:16 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
I've always wanted to read Achewood in a fjord.


I occasionally read my Achewood books in my pickup truck.  It's a Fjord Ranger.

Ba dump bump.
Title: your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
Post by: Nabubrush on January 02, 2005, 06:57:04 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "wombat"
I've always wanted to read Achewood in a fjord.


I occasionally read my Achewood books in my pickup truck.  It's a Fjord Ranger.

Ba dump bump.


Don't do that.
Title: your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
Post by: AugustWest on January 02, 2005, 08:59:05 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "wombat"
I've always wanted to read Achewood in a fjord.


I occasionally read my Achewood books in my pickup truck.  It's a Fjord Ranger.

Ba dump bump.


Don't do that.


I'm sorry.
Title: your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
Post by: side_show on January 02, 2005, 09:09:57 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "wombat"
I've always wanted to read Achewood in a fjord.


I occasionally read my Achewood books in my pickup truck.  It's a Fjord Ranger.

Ba dump bump.


Boo.

Also, Bobby Isosceles, I am in the boat with you.  I do not "get" it.
Title: your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 03, 2005, 01:19:57 am
Pining for the fjords?!?
Title: your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
Post by: miles on January 03, 2005, 06:51:59 am
So I read this strip on Friday (Friday?), but I was pressed for time.  So I thought the two dudes were just going around selling drumsticks (at 6AM?  I know, I know) and that Beef was only getting up early to put the recycling out.  Read it again tonight and now I get it.  And it is funny, but I only chuckled.  Softly.

And I guess we don't know where the Molly and Beef are living?  At Molly's or on Ray's property?  Or back at the old bitch's place?  Anyway, I have never really followed the blogs, but I should probably start now.
Title: your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
Post by: Steve Hogan on January 03, 2005, 02:52:40 pm
I just wish someone would bring me a turkey drumstick this morning.
Title: your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
Post by: Turbo Ninja on January 03, 2005, 04:13:21 pm
The best part: Spongebath's scooter appears to be personalized.  I can't make it out for sure but it definitely looks like it's been Brush Script'd to let everyone know exactly whose electric personal mobility device it is.
Title: your turkey drumstick is still hot- Dec. 31st, 2004
Post by: Nabubrush on January 06, 2005, 10:37:34 pm
Quote from: "jough"
You read Achewood in a bog?


this (http://llanwrtyd-wells.powys.org.uk/bog.html) might screw up your laptop.