The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Bozack on January 02, 2005, 06:30:08 am

Title: Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak
Post by: Bozack on January 02, 2005, 06:30:08 am
I bought World of Warcraft today, because everyone kept telling me how good it is and it actually works on Macs. Does anyone else here play any of the various orc-simulators? Is there anything I should know? Can someone please free me from this shame?
Title: Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak
Post by: V-Adore on January 02, 2005, 07:42:06 am
I'm totally slaved to City of Heroes, which is less a beating-up-orcs sim than it is a beating-up-drug-dealers sim. Really, same difference.

My advice? Be fairly strict about setting yourself amounts of game time, and schedule it such that you can't go over. Stay off the beach.
Title: Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak
Post by: andalucia on January 02, 2005, 01:59:11 pm
That would be a no, no, and no.




Orc-simulation?  For serious, dude??
Title: Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak
Post by: Nabubrush on January 02, 2005, 03:15:48 pm
Yeah, I got nothing. I've always been curious, but that's the same thing I said before I tried CRACK.
Title: Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak
Post by: CortJstr on January 02, 2005, 03:43:40 pm
Dammit, why can't they make more single-player RPGs? I don't need flocks of other people telling me how much my character sucks.
Title: Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak
Post by: V-Adore on January 02, 2005, 05:51:02 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Dammit, why can't they make more single-player RPGs? I don't need flocks of other people telling me how much my character sucks.

The one reason I've really fallen in love with CoH is that, provided you choose the right character type, you will almost never be forced to group. My connection is lame, and my computer is right at the threshold between "plays reasonably well" and "plays like molasses in January in the Arctic Circle," so almost all of my grouping experiences have been exercises in frustration, even with my non-dicktacular friends -- but I can play solo just fine and have a lot of fun doing it. It's a good thing.
Title: Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak
Post by: Nabubrush on January 02, 2005, 06:10:44 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Dammit, why can't they make more single-player RPGs? I don't need flocks of other people telling me how much my character sucks.

The one reason I've really fallen in love with CoH is that, provided you choose the right character type, you will almost never be forced to group. My connection is lame, and my computer is right at the threshold between "plays reasonably well" and "plays like molasses in January in the Arctic Circle," so almost all of my grouping experiences have been exercises in frustration, even with my non-dicktacular friends -- but I can play solo just fine and have a lot of fun doing it. It's a good thing.

I don't know shit about shit. What is the advantage to playing online if you are going to just play by yourself? Is it that you can still interact with others here and there, but don't have to depend on them and work together with them for goodly portions of time?

Dammit, the more I talk about this, the more likely it is that I will do this. You know this, don't you?
Title: Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak
Post by: V-Adore on January 02, 2005, 07:00:36 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Dammit, why can't they make more single-player RPGs? I don't need flocks of other people telling me how much my character sucks.

The one reason I've really fallen in love with CoH is that, provided you choose the right character type, you will almost never be forced to group. My connection is lame, and my computer is right at the threshold between "plays reasonably well" and "plays like molasses in January in the Arctic Circle," so almost all of my grouping experiences have been exercises in frustration, even with my non-dicktacular friends -- but I can play solo just fine and have a lot of fun doing it. It's a good thing.

I don't know shit about shit. What is the advantage to playing online if you are going to just play by yourself? Is it that you can still interact with others here and there, but don't have to depend on them and work together with them for goodly portions of time?

Dammit, the more I talk about this, the more likely it is that I will do this. You know this, don't you?

Yes. Yes I do.

Anyway, you've pretty much got it right; the advantage is that I can do things with other players -- trade, get pick-up groups, whatever -- if I feel like it, but I'm not being forced to do it by the nature of the game. This is especially handy given that I and my friends tend to have very different playing schedules, so if I pop online and find that nobody else I know is on, I can continue playing as normal without the whole "woe is me, I must sit in a corner and sob because I am alone, oh so alone" schtick.

Also, you get to encounter people who, given their free choice in a remarkably diverse superhero creation system, choose to make their superheroic alter ego "A MASTER NINJA WHOS SKILLED AT RAPPING" or named "Urinal-Mint" or whatever.

That said, if this game was offline I'd still play it. I see the online aspects as icing, basically; if they sold a CoH single-person game, that too would probably be excellent.
Title: Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak
Post by: Nabubrush on January 02, 2005, 07:41:24 pm
I suspect I'd have marital problems if I had that in my house.
Title: Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak
Post by: Bozack on January 02, 2005, 08:00:29 pm
Yeah, apparently the best thing about World of Warcraft versus, say, Everquest, is you never need to group to do anything, but you still can (obviously) play with your friends.
So far, I am a level 3 Undead Warlock. I have a mohawk, an exposed spine, and my name is Abner Cadaver. I think I am SO DAMN CUTE.
Title: Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak
Post by: V-Adore on January 02, 2005, 08:42:00 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I suspect I'd have marital problems if I had that in my house.

Penny Arcade covered this two days ago, actually. (http://www.penny-arcade.com/news.php3?date=2004-12-31)
Title: Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak
Post by: Nabubrush on January 03, 2005, 04:34:23 pm
You're riding a huge cat!

I don't think that would be the kind of strife I would have, but it's hard to tell. My wife used to be really into video games, and then got out of them. However, now she plays the Sims, quite a lot. This sort of thing might drag her in if she saw me playing, and then she could play while I was off at work - and it'd be exactly like that strip.
Title: Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak
Post by: CortJstr on January 03, 2005, 05:33:37 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
You're riding a huge cat!

I don't think that would be the kind of strife I would have, but it's hard to tell. My wife used to be really into video games, and then got out of them. However, now she plays the Sims, quite a lot. This sort of thing might drag her in if she saw me playing, and then she could play while I was off at work - and it'd be exactly like that strip.

Except you'd get home from work ready to whip some monster ass and she'd be on the machine all like, "just let me finish this dungeon" and you'd never get to play.
Title: Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak
Post by: Nabubrush on January 03, 2005, 06:29:14 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
You're riding a huge cat!

I don't think that would be the kind of strife I would have, but it's hard to tell. My wife used to be really into video games, and then got out of them. However, now she plays the Sims, quite a lot. This sort of thing might drag her in if she saw me playing, and then she could play while I was off at work - and it'd be exactly like that strip.

Except you'd get home from work ready to whip some monster ass and she'd be on the machine all like, "just let me finish this dungeon" and you'd never get to play.


Well, she has school and work when I get home, and I'd have two weeks of pure, unadulterated square-eyeballin'.
Title: Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak
Post by: slink on January 10, 2005, 04:47:16 pm
I picked up WoW after having played the beta a bit, but it hasn't clicked with me past level 10 on any character yet. I think maybe I'm just not having the patience and time for it. I played one of the older MMO's a lot, and thought about City of Heroes but never got around to that.
I may yet try and get into WoW some more. In the meantime, I just have more important things to try and pretend I'm doing...
Title: Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak
Post by: robot_roll_call on February 28, 2005, 08:10:27 pm
Sorry to dredge this old thread up, but you play CoH, V-Adore? What server do you play on? I've got a character that's almost lvl 50 on Liberty.
Title: Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak
Post by: V-Adore on February 28, 2005, 08:13:53 pm
Quote from: "*****_roll_call"
Sorry to dredge this old thread up, but you play CoH, V-Adore? What server do you play on? I've got a character that's almost lvl 50 on Liberty.

My main server is Champion, but I have a few alts on Virtue. I'm a relatively casual player and also very flighty about lots of alts, so at this point all of mine are fairly low-level: a level 14 (soon to be 15 once I finish off her 9-14 contacts) rad/rad defender on Champion, a level 13 energy/energy blaster on Virtue, and about eight or so others ranging from levels 5 through 10. (I'm really trying to break myself of the temptation to roll a new alt up every time an interesting power combo comes to mind.)
Title: Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak
Post by: robot_roll_call on February 28, 2005, 08:18:15 pm
Well I'm about to unlock Kheldians, so maybe I'll roll one up on Champion and we can team sometime.
Title: Re: Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on March 01, 2005, 01:38:08 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
I bought World of Warcraft today, because everyone kept telling me how good it is and it actually works on Macs. Does anyone else here play any of the various orc-simulators? Is there anything I should know? Can someone please free me from this shame?


all of you filthy jackasses i hope you burn in hell
NETHACK is the one true game
MANGBAND is the one true MMORPG

all of y'all can fuck ya'selves if ya disagree
Title: Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak
Post by: Ben-San on March 01, 2005, 01:52:39 am
I hate to dissuade anyone from Roguelikes, but Mangband is a piece of crap and no lyin', or it was back in the day when I actually wanted other people intruding in my Angband experience.
Title: Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak
Post by: V-Adore on March 01, 2005, 02:31:59 am
Quote from: "*****_roll_call"
Well I'm about to unlock Kheldians, so maybe I'll roll one up on Champion and we can team sometime.

Mad awesome. I have quite a few friends on Champion, at least one of whom has Kheldian access too; I can always make a few calls and try to assemble a decent lowbie team.

Also, no offense, Bobby? But Mangband sux the coq. fuck*ng awful experience, and I do like me my *bands.
Title: Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on March 01, 2005, 02:38:54 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "*****_roll_call"
Well I'm about to unlock Kheldians, so maybe I'll roll one up on Champion and we can team sometime.

Mad awesome. I have quite a few friends on Champion, at least one of whom has Kheldian access too; I can always make a few calls and try to assemble a decent lowbie team.

Also, no offense, Bobby? But Mangband sux the coq. fuck*ng awful experience, and I do like me my *bands.


I *SAID* Nethack was the One True Game. But then some fucktard would say "Oh, but it's not an MMORPG!" to which I'd have to point out the Mangband kicks WoW in the nuts.
Title: Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak
Post by: Ben-San on March 01, 2005, 02:44:54 am
Mangband does not kick anything in the nuts except the poor sucker who tries to play it.

I wanted to like it, really I did.
Title: Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak
Post by: V-Adore on March 01, 2005, 02:47:48 am
Bobby, have you ever even played a non-Mangband MMORPG? Furthermore, have you ever managed to play Mang for more than ten minutes? If so -- brave man.

(That said, TOME Online looked like a much larger and weirder trainwreck.)
Title: Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on March 01, 2005, 03:21:25 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Bobby, have you ever even played a non-Mangband MMORPG? Furthermore, have you ever managed to play Mang for more than ten minutes? If so -- brave man.

(That said, TOME Online looked like a much larger and weirder trainwreck.)


Mangband rocks my world. Nethack rocks it more because I hate other people.
Title: Re: Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on June 05, 2007, 12:05:40 am
I am dredging this post up again to point out two things

a) Nethack STILL is the hecka bomb doodle.

b) To all the WoW players out there:

EVERYBODY DANCE
LIKE THERE'S
QUEL'THALAS
IN YOUR PANTS

That is all.
Title: Re: Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak
Post by: RMJ12345 on June 05, 2007, 04:42:02 am
This is exactly like listening to my little brother.
Title: Re: Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak
Post by: melack on June 05, 2007, 05:17:10 am
The only online game I play are ones where I can teabag people.
Title: Re: Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak
Post by: Doc on June 05, 2007, 11:16:34 am
Does anyone around here still play WoW or CoH? I'm about to move to a place where I can get real honest to god's internet instead of this equivalent of a telegraph pole I'm currently connected to and I'm considering dipping my toe into the pool.
Title: Re: Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak
Post by: linnea on June 05, 2007, 02:54:40 pm
Dammit! Why not start a new thread? I was all, "Holy shit, did Bozack come back?"
Title: Re: Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing God I'm Weak
Post by: slink on June 05, 2007, 07:43:54 pm
Maybe that's where he went? Warcrack overdose... It seems to have got one of my friends.