The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: Va on January 03, 2005, 04:36:37 pm
-
Even though we're planning to sell our house pretty soon, it looks like we need to get a new dishwasher. It's not totally Tango Uniform, but the heating element has stopped working, so the dishes are not getting very clean, and they're coming out soaking wet. An acquaintance of my husband's who spent many years as an appliance repairman advised that we replace it rather than pay to have it repaired.
-
I've heard that installing a dishwasher isn't difficult to do yourself, even if you're installing one where there was previously no dishwasher. Depending on how handy you are, installing one where there are already hookups should be a piece of cake.
-
I was hoping someone would say that.
-
I've done it, and I can't sweat pipes.
-
From a quick Google search it doesn't look too bad:
http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/kitchen/dishwasher/install/new1.htm
-
One thing I would advise is, if you are dealing with old copper pipe, be very careful with it. I replaced a sink fixture when I just wanted to change out some washers, because I stressed the piping a bit trying to take the fixture apart and the piping split right where I could not just replace the piping. That increased my displeasure factor significantly.
-
Okay, I think I'm going to take one of my huge dinner plates to Sears tonight and see if their $379 Maytag is as good as it looks on the web page.
My next question is: how the hell does one get rid of "garbage" as bulky as a major kitchen appliance?
-
If it's still working, you could probably freecycle it. People will take any damn thing.
-
By "freecycle" do you mean "leave it on the curb and hope someone grabs it"? That strategy has worked pretty well for me in the past.
-
By "freecycle" do you mean "leave it on the curb and hope someone grabs it"? That strategy has worked pretty well for me in the past.
That might work, but what I mean is "Join your local Freecycle list and offer it up."
http://www.freecycle.org/
-
http://www.freecycle.org/
That. Is. So. COOL!
-
"Join your local Freecycle list and offer it up."
http://www.freecycle.org/
Since I can't see the messages without signing up, how is this different from Craig's List (other than the free part)? Is it generally stuff that has a part missing/doesn't work/wouldn't actually get any money on CL or are the people just too nice to charge for things or what?
-
I'm not on Craig's List, but from what I know of it, Freecycle is much more to the point. Posts are strictly "OFFER: Doo Hickey" and "TAKEN: Doo Hickey" (with the occasional "WANTED," though excessive use is frowned upon). Weird crap, off-topic posts, etc. are kicked to the curb, stat.
As for the quality of the stuff offered up... who the hell knows, you pays no money you takes your chances. Lots of baby stuff, lots of excess crap generated by people moving. I think most people are just trying to get rid of marginally useful items that they don't want to pitch but can't sell, though some people are really into it and offer up semi-valuable things.
-
Our friend gave us his old dishwasher when he got a spiffy new built in one. He extoled it's virtues thusly "It's a combination dishwasher/floor washer!" - so we happily took it from him. The leak is very minor, and it encourages us to mop the floor regularly!