The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: jough on August 14, 2003, 07:13:08 am

Title: August 14th Variety Hour
Post by: jough on August 14, 2003, 07:13:08 am
I was just checking to see if this week's atrocity was posted yet and I noticed that the "Visual Euphamisms for Sex" which used to have about a dozen entried (most lame) are now down to only four.

It's much funnier this way.
Title: August 14th Variety Hour
Post by: AugustWest on August 14, 2003, 01:05:20 pm
Hmmm.  A frou-frou drink and a recipe for ribs that I could have gotten from my boss....

THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT!
Title: August 14th Variety Hour
Post by: junk on August 14, 2003, 01:20:04 pm
well at least its better than whipping zoo. like a million times better. plus that drink does look pretty cool.
Title: August 14th Variety Hour
Post by: CortJstr on August 14, 2003, 02:36:38 pm
Dang people! Print out the page and paste it into your Achewood cookbook. It's 2 extra recipies for free.

Although I still don't quite understand how the spoon goes.
Title: crock
Post by: satchel on August 14, 2003, 03:36:50 pm
Onstad’s obsession with cooking confounds me.
Title: August 14th Variety Hour
Post by: jay-ell on August 14, 2003, 03:49:29 pm
I'm a big fan of the Neapolitan drink.  Can't wait to get my booze money together and try it.  And the ribs recipe, OK fine.  I don't cook ribs often but I might try it sometime.  

If you ask me, new recipes are hella better than not-funny contributions from Onstad's frat brothers.
Title: August 14th Variety Hour
Post by: jough on August 14, 2003, 04:03:43 pm
That Napolitan Shooter is a thing of beauty.

You people are so unappreciative.  Two new recipes and somehow that doesn't constitute entertainment for you?

Ingrates.

This week's installment was 1000 times better than last weeks.  Now all we have to do is hope that the 'stad doesn't post a theme song for the recipies next week.

Of course, there is the Achewood songfight to look forward to.  Or not.
Title: August 14th Variety Hour
Post by: Choop on August 14, 2003, 04:09:00 pm
So... uh, apparently the Variety Hour isn't about humor? Odd. Somewhere I got the impression that achewood.com was turning into an Onstad Humor site. Yes, the Neopolitan recipe, as related by Ray, was somewhat amusing, but the other was very, very meh.

Recipes are fine and all, but I can make up my own. In fact, people rave about my stuffing, my potatoes, my from-scratch pizza, and my frittata.

Maybe I'm an ingrate, but it's just because expectations have not been properly laid out since the format change.
Title: August 14th Variety Hour
Post by: The Wonderous Me on August 14, 2003, 04:45:18 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
I'm a big fan of the Neapolitan drink.  Can't wait to get my booze money together and try it.  And the ribs recipe, OK fine.  I don't cook ribs often but I might try it sometime.  

If you ask me, new recipes are hella better than not-funny contributions from Onstad's frat brothers.


Hey wait a minute... the Variety hour from the 7th didn't have any recipes in it, that is the one from 8-14-03!  Sheesh and I get fussed at for posting without a date and you all go on about last weeks variety hour with this weeks content!  ARGH!!   :D
Title: August 14th Variety Hour
Post by: jay-ell on August 14, 2003, 04:53:08 pm
Is that better?
Title: August 14th Variety Hour
Post by: The Wonderous Me on August 14, 2003, 04:58:28 pm
Yay!! I were right about something.. once... I'll try not to let it happen again.. maybe..

Oh, yeah, and to keep on topic. The drink looks ok, but that's kind of an odd color combination. And I might like to see a neopolitan in taste simular to the ice cream instead of just the colors.
Title: August 14th Variety Hour
Post by: AugustWest on August 14, 2003, 05:39:21 pm
Quote from: "jough"
You people are so unappreciative.  Two new recipes and somehow that doesn't constitute entertainment for you?



Um, sorry, but not really. I expect humor from Achewood, not girlie drinks and run of the mill barbeque recipes.
Title: August 14th Variety Hour
Post by: ferocious j on August 14, 2003, 05:50:07 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Um, sorry, but not really. I expect humor from Achewood, not girlie drinks and run of the mill barbeque recipes.

This suggests that you should either adjust your expectations to match what is occurring in the real world, or just stop being a cock.
Title: August 14th Variety Hour
Post by: The Wonderous Me on August 14, 2003, 05:56:22 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Um, sorry, but not really. I expect humor from Achewood, not girlie drinks and run of the mill barbeque recipes.


Hey, I didn't even think about that.. My last recipe(if you can call throwing a dash/splash of anything sounding good into the marinade) had peanut butter in it.. that's more risky than his..  I've also used Cider Jack beer(a pretty tasty drink on it's own, and good to marinate with)
Title: August 14th Variety Hour
Post by: yahnai on August 14, 2003, 06:10:27 pm
The shooter looks horrid.  Have you people ever had that "tequila rose" shit?  You buy "tequila rose" shots for those pantywaste aquaintences of yours who whine they don't want knock back a glass of anejo with you.  It's to strong, boo-hoo-hoo.  Then you laugh as they gag on the horridness of it.

But the ribs sound good.  That's interesting... using sriracha as a sauce base.  I've become a fan of the kansas city style ribs, personally, you know, all honey goodness and oh god ribs

I do have a complaint, though.  Fuck grilling, we want the 4-hour 'que party.  You know.  Bank those flames, baby.  Go in for the long haul.  Only people who drink "tequila rose" boil their ribs.

Er, I was saying.  Someone asked what Onstad's obsession with food is.  I think it's rather obvious--he's got strong hedonistic impluses.  Food and drink.  Drink and food.  Add sex to that mix, you know, to burn off those extra calories, and you've got a damn fine lifestyle.
Title: August 14th Variety Hour
Post by: V-Adore on August 14, 2003, 06:12:50 pm
I'm reserving judgment on this week's Variety Hour until I can actually try any of the recipes. Given as I'm not big on either elaborate heavy drinks or ribs, this may very well be a while. Still, if either of these recipes are any good, well, that's more value for our time than the Whipping Zoo.
Title: August 14th Variety Hour
Post by: AugustWest on August 14, 2003, 07:22:53 pm
Quote from: "ferocious j"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Um, sorry, but not really. I expect humor from Achewood, not girlie drinks and run of the mill barbeque recipes.

This suggests that you should either adjust your expectations to match what is occurring in the real world, or just stop being a cock.


Well, that's precisely what I've done.  I no longer expect to find much (if any) entertainment at Achewood on Thursdays.  If that makes me a cock, so be it.

Insulting people who express opinions different from yours, why that makes you a real peach of a person.
Title: August 14th Variety Hour
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 14, 2003, 07:34:38 pm
I'm with everyone who is confused, hurt or feeling neglected because of the lack of clear expectations on what this 'variety hour' is supposed to be. No help from the submissions, either - nothing really ties them together except that they are posted under a sign that says "Achewood Variety Hour". I'm not necessarily complaining because, so far, Onstad and Ray seem to have similar ideas in the kitchen to me and although I own a bottle of Sriracha, I've only used it when making Thai food. So thanks for that idea, O.

I don't yet "LIKE" the "Variety 3 Minutes Which May or May Not Have Anything To Do with Achewood" but I don't hate it yet either. Although the whipping zoo and euphemisms for sex were vomitous, since I don't create something for public consumption every day, I'm hardly ina position to bitch about it....

...Or call anyone names in public because I disagree with them, for that matter (Shame! SHAME!)

I go bye bye now.
Title: fun
Post by: satchel on August 14, 2003, 08:24:15 pm
Eating is pleasure, cooking is work. I understand food obession, everyone eats. Onstad’s thing isn’t food, it’s recipes and cooking.

(I wanted to bitch about the cooking thing for a long time. Now that we have an independent message board, I finally can without fear of censorship.)
Title: August 14th Variety Hour
Post by: ferocious j on August 14, 2003, 08:36:43 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Insulting people who express opinions different from yours, why that makes you a real peach of a person.

You are not smart.

Your opinion being different (i.e. negative) is not what makes you an asshole.  The fact that you choose to express it at all, however, does make you a dickfuck.  If you feel that you have the right to express your useless, negative opinion of someone's work out loud instead of keeping it to yourself, then that makes my right to express my own negative opinion of your sorry-ass personality equally valid.
Title: August 14th Variety Hour
Post by: jough on August 14, 2003, 08:46:18 pm
:D Wow, what an asshole! :D

See this related thread:

http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?t=163
Title: August 14th Variety Hour
Post by: AugustWest on August 14, 2003, 08:54:04 pm
Then what the fuck is this message board for?  To be a bunch of pollyanna fanboys?  I have a negative opinion, I intend to express it.  

Onstad has posted his work on the web for public viewing.  He is offering it as entertainment.  As such, it becomes subject to review.  When I find Onstad's work wonderful (as is usually the case) I'm free with the praise.  When it sucks, I share that opinion.  I am not the only person on this board to express a negative opinion.

Fine, I'm an asshole because I don't like this piece of work that Onstad has posted.  I have not attacked Onstad personally, insulted him, or called him names.  I have not attacked or insulted anyone else on the board in this manner.  Can you say the same?
Title: August 14th Variety Hour
Post by: Schabe on August 14, 2003, 08:54:12 pm
Huh!  Sucks to have people bitching about how much you suck all the time, don't it?
Title: August 14th Variety Hour
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 14, 2003, 09:47:16 pm
Is it too much to ask for people to not get personal? Or should I expect to be flamed for believing this forum to be about Achewood and not about the people talking about Achewood? I'll head off all the morons who want to talk about <me> instead of about <Achewood>:

Fill in the blanks in your head and show a little self control.

I'm a ******.

I eat *****.

I look like a ****** ******** with a bad case of *******.

I think the morons are a bunch of ****** ******** with fulminant cases of anal ******.

Now talk about Achewood already, you mooks.

Geez.
Title: August 14th Variety Hour
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 14, 2003, 09:48:50 pm
Also a tip:

You are not lileky to meet these people. Taking whatever they type at you <personally> is a waste of your energy. Show some zen stones and rise above it.

Here endeth the reaming.
Title: Makin' Spicy Ribs this Weekend
Post by: pmcd9 on August 15, 2003, 05:42:28 am
After that dreadful Whipping Zoo (Shudder) story, I would have been happy if this weeks VH didn't make me want to gouge out my eyes.  So I was more than a little relieved and quite plesantly surprised to see those two great recipes.  If I weren't a recovering alchoholic (16 years sober, halejujah) I would so make that wonderful concoction.  The ribs on the other hand, damn that sounds like a tasty recipe.  I'll be cooking that shit up this weekend, guaranteed.  I'll let you know next week how it turns out.

As for whether we should keep it strictly about Achewood or allow some personal discussion here, well my confession above clearly indicates which side of this debate I fall on.

And as for whether it's proper to offer negative criticism of Achewood, well the answer to that is obvious.  We're not a bunch of mindless sychophants here (well a few are) and if something stinks we are more than obliged to speak our mind about it.

Go on, eat some ribs this weekend.

~Paul
Title: August 14th Variety Hour
Post by: jay-ell on August 15, 2003, 02:03:11 pm
Dammit can't we all just get along  

Negative opinions are allowed, positive opinions are allowed, the Achewood fora are for Achewood discussion only, personal attacks on other posters are not appropriate.  

How many times do I have to say this