The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: monkeybutter on January 05, 2005, 05:01:54 pm

Title: A little help...
Post by: monkeybutter on January 05, 2005, 05:01:54 pm
The way of adding an avator on this forum is different to the others I frequent, I was hoping someone could tell me how i can transfer an image from "my documents"- i don't understand this "offsite avator" stuff.
Cheers :D
Title: A little help...
Post by: CortJstr on January 05, 2005, 05:07:07 pm
Short answer: you can't.

The site can't use an image that's on your computer, it has to already be on a server somewhere out on the internet.
Title: A little help...
Post by: monkeybutter on January 05, 2005, 05:13:34 pm
how would i go about getting a frame from an Achewood strip as my avator?
xxx
Title: A little help...
Post by: Nabubrush on January 06, 2005, 05:52:17 pm
Hey Asher, can you hook me up too? You decide which picture; it doesn't matter to me. Maybe a stack of pancakes, or the Crab nebula.
Title: A little help...
Post by: andalucia on January 06, 2005, 06:18:19 pm
That reminds me, I was overdue for a new avatar.
Title: A little help...
Post by: Nabubrush on January 06, 2005, 06:21:14 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
That reminds me, I was overdue for a new avatar.


Anda, is that the mysterious crystal skull?


Asher, you are seventeen different but highly wonderful types of awesome scrambled together in a light, flaky crust.
Title: A little help...
Post by: andalucia on January 06, 2005, 06:22:07 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Anda, is that the mysterious crystal skull?


Why yes!  How kind of you to notice!
Title: A little help...
Post by: Nabubrush on January 06, 2005, 06:24:47 pm
Anda, I warn you, I'm under the impression that there's a curse associated with that thing.

Also, first avatar ever, people! Maybe I should have made it a competition that people could have submitted entries for. Like if you have a cute little dog, maybe I would have made it my avatar. (Note: I would not have made your cute little dog my avatar.)
Title: A little help...
Post by: V-Adore on January 06, 2005, 06:27:15 pm
Now I feel the need for a new avatar. The random angst, it burns!
Title: A little help...
Post by: Nabubrush on January 06, 2005, 06:30:32 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Now I feel the need for a new avatar. The random angst, it burns!


No, you don't need a new avatar. That would be like the prudes who put fig-leaves on statues. You have the avatar of joy.
Title: A little help...
Post by: CortJstr on January 06, 2005, 06:44:13 pm
I've actually never changed avatars. The whole idea of it frightens me. I don't want to abandon my worm after 5 years.
Title: A little help...
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 06, 2005, 07:16:03 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Also, first avatar ever, people! Maybe I should have made it a competition that people could have submitted entries for.


(http://www.bigfool.com/mascots/icons/icon_boom.jpg)
Title: A little help...
Post by: CortJstr on January 06, 2005, 07:30:39 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
I defy y'all to defeat viciously fanged pancake stack!

SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY!

Avatar steel cage death match

No quarter, no time limit and only one survivor!

SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY!

Do not underestimate the power of the Fuzzy Mascot.

"Bring it on, Pancake Stack. Win if you can, survive if I let you."

Zart will get it.
Title: A little help...
Post by: St_Zartan on January 06, 2005, 07:39:21 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
"Bring it on, Pancake Stack. Win if you can, survive if I let you."


HUMAN SUPLEX MACHINE (http://www.weeklyvisitor.com/superstars/tazz.jpg)

MS Paint wrestlers make excellent avatars for young and old. Bastion Booger, what is the mantra of humility?
Title: A little help...
Post by: Nabubrush on January 06, 2005, 07:57:47 pm
That may be a bit dense with the info, Zart.
Title: A little help...
Post by: Bozack on January 06, 2005, 09:01:33 pm
God DAMMIT, I had everyones avatar memorized! Now I have to LEARN.
Mine is pretty tame, though. Hmmmmm...
Title: A little help...
Post by: jough on January 07, 2005, 02:23:03 am
I don't even look at your user names anymore - I just associate all of your posts with your avatars and maybe some nicknames - like I don't even remember Bozak's board handle - I think it has numbers and stuff - but if he ever changed that avatar I'd think he were someone new.

I also recognize Limmo's various avatars as being him all the time even though they change because he always (usually?) uses cool album covers.

Also, enjoy the christmas-themed forum logo because tomorrow (the day after "little christmas" it's coming down and the board will look all un-festive and stuff again.
Title: A little help...
Post by: andalucia on January 07, 2005, 02:28:09 am
Well, I hope the transition from tofu to ominous crystal skulls isn't too rough for you, Jough.
I just sort of suddenly realized that that avatar made me look like a person who has an interest in anime, and although I harbour no resentment against that type of person, it is not a category to which I belong.
Apparently I do belong in the ominous crystal skull category though... points to ponder.
Title: A little help...
Post by: wombat on January 07, 2005, 02:57:43 am
Quote from: "andalucia"

I just sort of suddenly realized that that avatar made me look like a person who has an interest in anime, and although I harbour no resentment against that type of person, it is not a category to which I belong.


Um, is there some connection between tofu and anime that I am unaware of?   More than the connection between, say, sushi and anime or broiled eel and anime?
Title: A little help...
Post by: CortJstr on January 07, 2005, 03:13:59 am
Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "andalucia"

I just sort of suddenly realized that that avatar made me look like a person who has an interest in anime, and although I harbour no resentment against that type of person, it is not a category to which I belong.

Um, is there some connection between tofu and anime that I am unaware of?   More than the connection between, say, sushi and anime or broiled eel and anime?

It was a drawing of tofu and the style of the drawing was anime-esque. It reminded me of FLCL.
Title: A little help...
Post by: Nabubrush on January 07, 2005, 04:24:18 am
Quote from: "jough"
I don't even look at your user names anymore - I just associate all of your posts with your avatars and maybe some nicknames.


That doesn't beg a question, but it certainly invites a question as to what posts from me seemed to be - dispatches from beyond? I think I am probably the only regular around here who didn't have an avatar.
Title: A little help...
Post by: jough on January 07, 2005, 06:25:30 am
I'm not sure what the gaping fangs of a stack of pancakes says about you either.  I think I preferred the void.
Title: A little help...
Post by: Gimpson on January 07, 2005, 04:06:06 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Also, enjoy the christmas-themed forum logo because tomorrow (the day after "little christmas" it's coming down and the board will look all un-festive and stuff again.


Didn't you say something about a brand spanking new logo once the Christmas season ended?
Title: A little help...
Post by: Nabubrush on January 07, 2005, 04:14:40 pm
As of 8:09 am PST we are still rocking the Christmas spirit. Also, I'm actually going to make some attempt to think about an avatar that is reflective of me in some way. Maybe I can find one that isn't very cool, in opposition to the other avatars here. Hmmmmmm . . .
Title: A little help...
Post by: jough on January 07, 2005, 04:34:48 pm
Yeah, once my work is done for the day I'll finish the new logo and put it up instead of the christmas one.
Title: A little help...
Post by: Nabubrush on January 07, 2005, 04:37:33 pm
I, for one, am curious as all get out.
Title: A little help...
Post by: jough on January 07, 2005, 05:27:55 pm
I don't mean to build it up too much - it's just like the old logo, only I've squeezed some extra characters into it.

GET READY FOR DISAPPOINTMENT
Title: A little help...
Post by: CortJstr on January 07, 2005, 05:46:09 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I don't mean to build it up too much - it's just like the old logo, only I've squeezed some extra characters into it.

GET READY FOR DISAPPOINTMENT

Whoo disappointment!

And I just noticed your new title, which is vaguely creepy.
Title: A little help...
Post by: Nabubrush on January 07, 2005, 05:54:17 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I don't mean to build it up too much - it's just like the old logo, only I've squeezed some extra characters into it.

GET READY FOR DISAPPOINTMENT


Well, if one of the new characters isn't Arthur, disappointment here I come!
Title: A little help...
Post by: side_show on January 07, 2005, 06:06:15 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "jough"
I don't even look at your user names anymore - I just associate all of your posts with your avatars and maybe some nicknames.


That doesn't beg a question, but it certainly invites a question as to what posts from me seemed to be - dispatches from beyond? I think I am probably the only regular around here who didn't have an avatar.


All your posts seem like dispatches from beyond for me, but then, since I have no idea what Nabubrush means, I long ago subsituted it in my brain with Nanabush, a prominant Aboriginal "trickster" - type spiritual figure.  

An elder told me a really bizarre story about the origin of sight problems in humans:  Nanabush saw a bunch of birds lying on their backs and laughing, and when he went over to ask them what they were doing, they showed him how they could lie there and pop their eyes out of their heads, shoot them into the air, have them spin around, then fall back into their heads.  But they told Nanabush that this was something he was not supposed to do and warned him not to try it- that only birds were supposed to do it.  So, wanting to have some fun, Nanabush went off away from the birds lay down on the ground and popped his eyes out of his head, and shot them into the air, but instead of them falling back into his head, they fell on the ground.  So his eyes were rolling around on the ground getting leaves and dirt stuck to them.  The birds heard him crying out, so the flew over, and saw him groaping around.  So they helped him pick up his eyes and get them back into his head, but they were dirty and scratched up, so that's why people need glasses.

Did you do that Nabubrush?  It's totally your fault.  It's all  your fault.
Title: A little help...
Post by: V-Adore on January 07, 2005, 07:10:30 pm
Okay, now I am curious: who or what is a "Nabubrush," besides our illustrious and currently quite pancakey Achehead, and why the name?
Title: A little help...
Post by: monkeybutter on January 07, 2005, 07:40:49 pm
wow, avator madness!!
Why do I need to tell you my details Ash dude... can't you just tell me how to do it? I'm afraid of your intentions...
Title: A little help...
Post by: Nabubrush on January 07, 2005, 11:14:22 pm
Side_show, if you think I feel bad because people wear glasses now, you've got anopther think coming. My eyeballs were in the damn dirt! And I'mm all walking around with them all red, and people are accusing me of being high! It's not easy, the life of a trickster.

If anyone really wants to know, they can PM me, but I warn you, it's ridiculously pedestrian.

Also, sexy post, Ash - I want stars and/or blocks.
Title: A little help...
Post by: jough on January 08, 2005, 12:42:56 am
Ash, you should promise not to sign mb up for SO MUCH SPAM.
Title: A little help...
Post by: CortJstr on January 08, 2005, 06:07:55 am
Quote from: "jough"
I don't mean to build it up too much - it's just like the old logo, only I've squeezed some extra characters into it.

GET READY FOR DISAPPOINTMENT

I see Nice Pete, Molly, LN, and Arthur. I can't remember if Pat was there before or not.
Title: A little help...
Post by: andalucia on January 08, 2005, 06:19:36 am
Nice work with the forum title: subtle, yet effective.
Title: A little help...
Post by: Nabubrush on January 08, 2005, 08:38:21 pm
Arthur's the fuck*ng mack. And - you know who you are - fuck you still.
Title: A little help...
Post by: Bozack on January 08, 2005, 09:57:12 pm
New avatar.
I...AM....BOZACK!
I AM YOUR FRIEND!
Title: A little help...
Post by: andalucia on January 08, 2005, 10:31:05 pm
That is the most melancholy of Batmen!
Whence this new avatar?
Title: A little help...
Post by: wombat on January 09, 2005, 12:48:35 am
Stop it!  No more of this changing avatars!  A couple of weeks ago I had a terrible urge to change my avatar too.  But did I?  No, because I have a sense of responsibility to the community.  Not like you wild and crazy kids!
Title: A little help...
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 09, 2005, 01:40:32 am
Quote from: "wombat"
Stop it!  No more of this changing avatars!  A couple of weeks ago I had a terrible urge to change my avatar too.  But did I?  No, because I have a sense of responsibility to the community.  Not like you wild and crazy kids!


Fuck you!

Oh, sorry, that was yesterday.

Carry on.
Title: A little help...
Post by: jough on January 09, 2005, 02:46:06 am
I'm making it a whole "Fuck You Weekend" since the Fuck You strip is still up on the main page.

So... Fuck You.
Title: A little help...
Post by: CortJstr on January 09, 2005, 03:26:57 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
New avatar.
I...AM....BOZACK!
I AM YOUR FRIEND!

It looks vaguely Tom-Goes-To-The-Mayor-ish
Title: A little help...
Post by: Bozack on January 09, 2005, 07:17:14 am
Haha, it's ME. I bought a catwoman/batman fetish mask at a sex shop for $9, and then tried to incorporate it into all of my work for a particular class.
Hey, Jough, is there any way for me to just change my actual account name to Bozack? Because if NUMBERS are a huge stepping stone to you people....

And I think Doris will always live on in our hearts.
Title: A little help...
Post by: jough on January 09, 2005, 04:12:17 pm
Quote from: "somebody"
Haha, it's ME. I bought a catwoman/batman fetish mask at a sex shop for $9, and then tried to incorporate it into all of my work for a particular class.


Who is this?

Quote from: "some dude"
Hey, Jough, is there any way for me to just change my actual account name to Bozack? Because if NUMBERS are a huge stepping stone to you people....


Yes, for a $20 donation I can change either your account name or your custom title (or both, for some extra fun).
Title: A little help...
Post by: monkeybutter on January 09, 2005, 11:39:12 pm
I must be such a fuckwit, even after reading the faq i still can't figure out how to get a bloody frame of the strip as an avatar... So if I were to give Asherdan my details, there's not much he could do with the info right?
Title: A little help...
Post by: jough on January 10, 2005, 01:08:39 am
I'll host whatever image you'd like for a $20 donation.
Title: A little help...
Post by: monkeybutter on January 10, 2005, 06:48:36 pm
bah, too poor at the moment.. maybe when my student loan comes thru..
Title: A little help...
Post by: andalucia on January 10, 2005, 07:44:03 pm
There are lots of free and to-varying-degrees-decent photo hosting sites around.  I use Photobucket (http://www.photobucket.com) for my avatar.
Title: A little help...
Post by: monkeybutter on January 10, 2005, 07:59:49 pm
ah thanks, I've set up my account but I can't figure out how to use just one frame as opposed to the whole strip- any ideas?
Title: A little help...
Post by: Ben-San on January 10, 2005, 09:14:29 pm
If only there were some kind of program that would let you edit or perhaps crop an image. I'm sure there would be a market for such a hypothetical program, were it to exist.
Title: A little help...
Post by: Golfhaus on January 10, 2005, 11:18:05 pm
Does it really boggle the mind THAT badly that people can use the Internet without knowing anything about Photoshop?

monkeybutter, send me a PM with what you're trying to accomplish, and I'll give you a hand.
Title: A little help...
Post by: Nabubrush on January 10, 2005, 11:33:28 pm
If a person can't be a complete and utter sarcastic smartass, what's the point of the internet?
Title: A little help...
Post by: AugustWest on January 11, 2005, 01:59:52 am
Or at least what's the point of this board?
Title: A little help...
Post by: monkeybutter on January 11, 2005, 02:56:47 am
just stolen one from someone else, am useless with computers
Title: A little help...
Post by: V-Adore on January 11, 2005, 04:30:10 am
Er, are you leeching it off of someone else's webspace without their permission? Please don't do that; you're essentially stealing bandwidth from them, which costs them money and is very crass.
Title: A little help...
Post by: Nabubrush on January 11, 2005, 04:33:28 am
I don't know much about computers either, monkey, but you should watch out as you may be leeching bandwidth from someone, and that's not a cool thing to do, because they probably have to pay for it.

Edit: Hey look, V, I'm as cool as you!
Title: A little help...
Post by: V-Adore on January 11, 2005, 05:48:55 am
Apropos of nothing, I do like your new one, Ash. It's fairly awesome.
Title: A little help...
Post by: monkeybutter on January 11, 2005, 07:47:24 am
Buggar.. got rid of, thanx for tellin me.
Title: A little help...
Post by: andalucia on January 11, 2005, 12:25:14 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
ALSO: Satchel used that avatar and I actually liked him.

Don't sully it for me.


I was trying to remember whose it was!
I miss satchel.
Title: A little help...
Post by: CortJstr on January 11, 2005, 02:31:46 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "Asherdan"
ALSO: Satchel used that avatar and I actually liked him.

Don't sully it for me.

I was trying to remember whose it was!
I miss satchel.

Ditto. It was driving me nuts. Plus I have this mental block where I can't remember Satchel and Sjlimmer's names at the same time.
Title: A little help...
Post by: Nabubrush on January 11, 2005, 11:20:15 pm
I like Golfhaus's avatar.
Title: A little help...
Post by: Golfhaus on January 12, 2005, 12:00:09 am
Thanks, Nab. I refused to put up an avatar until the muse spoke to me on what it should be. Then, all of a sudden, it WAS.

I think Ray would look good in the same sorta-Warholish treatment too, but Cornelius is my man.