The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Nabubrush on January 12, 2005, 05:21:50 am

Title: Black Francis
Post by: Nabubrush on January 12, 2005, 05:21:50 am
OK, the only stuff I've listened to of his is with the Pixies. I'd like people, in this thread, to post single songs/albums that they think are the greatest realizeation of his talents sans Pixies. Wondertwins power activate and whatever the hell. Go ahead.
Title: Black Francis
Post by: andalucia on January 12, 2005, 01:42:16 pm
Album = Dog in the Sand
Song = Llano del Rio
Title: Black Francis
Post by: arkabee on January 12, 2005, 02:37:21 pm
i liked the album that has "perry the wind" or wahtever it was called.
good song.
good songs.
Title: Black Francis
Post by: sjlimmer on January 12, 2005, 03:20:44 pm
I was never a huge Frank Black fan, but I thought it was time to give him another chance, so I just picked up Teenager of the Year, mostly because it was cheap, has "Headache" on it (always liked that one), and was right in front of me at a moment when I was buying CD's (why yes, I do let the fates determine what I buy through what they place in the used CD bins.  Why do you ask?).

Also, "Nadine" from one of the albums with the Catholics (forget which) is quite nice.
Title: Black Francis
Post by: Bozack on January 12, 2005, 06:56:15 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Album = Dog in the Sand
Song = Llano del Rio


Thank you. Thank you for TAKING MINE.

I just like all of "Dog in the Sand." Check out "Stupid Me" and "If It Takes All Night", all from that album.
Title: Black Francis
Post by: Limmo on January 12, 2005, 09:29:28 pm
I like Teenager of the  Year and the first Catholics album.  A few good songs each on the first album and The Cult of Ray.  I'm especially fond of Lyle Workman's lead guitar.   Lost interest when I heard Pistolero.
Title: Black Francis
Post by: Va on January 13, 2005, 03:56:13 pm
I :heart: Frank Black (with or without The Catholics) to an extent that is almost unseemly for a married lady.  I am eminently qualified to hook you up.  Album titles are in alphabetical order.

Cult of Ray
Men In Black (http://posdef.net/stuff/02_men_in_black.mp3)

Devil's Workshop
His Kingly Cave (http://posdef.net/stuff/03_his_kingly_cave.mp3)
Whiskey In Your Shoes (http://posdef.net/stuff/10_whiskey_in_your_shoes.mp3)

Dog In the Sand
St. Francis Dam Disaster (http://posdef.net/stuff/03_st._francis_dam_disaster.mp3)
Bullet (http://posdef.net/stuff/06_bullet.mp3)

Frank Black
I Heard Ramona Sing (http://posdef.net/stuff/02_i_heard_ramona_sing.mp3)
Perry The Wind, High, Low (http://posdef.net/stuff/12_perry_the_wind_high_low.mp3)

Frank Black and the Catholics
Solid Gold (http://posdef.net/stuff/09_solid_gold.mp3)
The Man Who Was Too Loud (http://posdef.net/stuff/12_the_man_who_was_too_loud.mp3)

Oddballs
Pray A Little Faster (http://posdef.net/stuff/01_pray_a_little_faster.mp3)
Man of Steel (http://posdef.net/stuff/14_man_of_steel.mp3)

Pistolero
Western Star (http://posdef.net/stuff/03_western_star.mp3)
Eighty Five Weeks (http://posdef.net/stuff/10_eighty_five_weeks.mp3)

Show Me Your Tears
Jaina Blues (http://posdef.net/stuff/04_jaina_blues.mp3)

Teenager of the Year
Calistan (http://posdef.net/stuff/04_calistan.mp3)
Headache (http://posdef.net/stuff/07_headache.mp3)
Title: Black Francis
Post by: Nabubrush on January 13, 2005, 08:17:27 pm
So I'm just to buy them all, is that it?
Title: Black Francis
Post by: Va on January 13, 2005, 08:40:38 pm
You could get an account on eMusic and download them all for about $20.
Title: Black Francis
Post by: Nabubrush on January 13, 2005, 08:50:23 pm
I'm not down with the whole putting music on my computer right now. I do it at work, but not at home as I don't have the ubiquitous ipod or anything. I'd like to get one, but that's all on hold at this point.
Title: Black Francis
Post by: Va on January 13, 2005, 09:03:17 pm
I just realized I was lying, because Cult of Ray and Teenager of the Year are not up on eMusic.

You really can't go wrong with his self-titled album, Frank Black.  If you're going to buy two, get Pistolero.  If you're going to buy three, get Dog In the Sand.
Title: Black Francis
Post by: Nabubrush on January 13, 2005, 09:05:16 pm
Thank you - thank you to everyone. (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?t=1514)