The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: satchel on August 14, 2003, 08:30:29 pm
-
Jough, you ever listen to El Guapo?
-
"I suppose you could say that everyone has an El Guapo. For some, shyness may be an El Guapo. For others, lack of education may be an El Guapo. But for us, El Guapo is a large ugly man who wants to kill us."
-
"I suppose you could say that everyone has an El Guapo. For some, shyness may be an El Guapo. For others, lack of education may be an El Guapo. But for us, El Guapo is a large ugly man who wants to kill us."
Wait a minute! How can an ugly man be called "El Guapo"? This concept confuses and INFURIATES ME!
-
"I suppose you could say that everyone has an El Guapo. For some, shyness may be an El Guapo. For others, lack of education may be an El Guapo. But for us, El Guapo is a large ugly man who wants to kill us."
"Just because our personal El Guapo is the actual El Guapo..."
(Incidentally, this thread inspired me to actually look up "guapo" on an online Spanish->English dictionary. Apparently it means "pretty." Who knew?)
-
I'm pretty sure it means "handsome" more than it does "pretty" seeing as you always see it in the masculine. But I'm really, really, really white so I'm not certain.
-
It's an idiomatic expression that literally means, "The Handsome Man."
Which is why it is particularly appropriate for Jough. :wink:
-
El Guapo is also a Washington DC band that has come through Arkansas the last couple of years. A friend of mine made a music video for them.
Their latest release (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=CASS70305141548&sql=A25o20r4al48c).
They were the source of my learning what ‘el guapo’ meant, so when I saw that they shared Jough’s nickname, I thought I’d ask whether he’d encountered them.
-
Asherdan, El Guapo has a sound faintly reminiscent of Devo.
-
By the way, I’m not recommending that anyone purchase El Guapo albums. If you can get a free song off the internet somehow, get “Just Don’t Know,” “Space Tourist,” or “The Time: Night.”
-
satchel, I downloaded several songs of theirs, which I am listening to presently.... I couldnt find the ones you mentioned, but I must say 'underground' is absoultely rad.
-
I have not read this thread until just now.
I have not heard the band before.
Yes, El Guapo was the bad guy in "The Three Amigos."
Yes, El Guapo means "The Handsome Man" in Spanish.
Yes, it suits me. Or at least that avatar picture.
Incidentally, El Guapo is what I call myself in my head whenever I have to figure something out, or make a decision.
"El Guapo, should I take 320 or I-495 to work today?"
"I wonder, El Guapo, if I can afford that trip to California this October."
It gets me by.
-
Incidentally, El Guapo is what I call myself in my head whenever I have to figure something out, or make a decision.
"El Guapo, should I take 320 or I-495 to work today?"
495? How many 495's are there? Surely you don't mean the Capital Beltway. That would be a very crappy commute.
-
Actually, I meant I-95 to I-476, also known as "the Blue Route" but not because there's hella-porn on it or anything.
I'm just outside of Philadelphia, although I do know the Capital beltway well.
-
Andalucia, glad you like it. “Rumble Dream” is a good song of theirs from last year. Maybe the new stuff isn’t out there yet.