The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: cellardoor on January 13, 2005, 11:35:10 am

Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: cellardoor on January 13, 2005, 11:35:10 am
Todd vs Pat round 1.
Pat's "take only one" is perfection.
See, I want to be Ray or Teodor but I have to admit to being more Pat-like.
Except for the vegan, super-healthy thing. That is not too awesome.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: Doc on January 13, 2005, 11:58:34 am
I think we've all waited far too long for Pat to get some comeuppance, though its kind of cool that it wasn't for any of the many illegal things he's done, but simply because he's Pat and, lets face it, 'Guy Sucks!'.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: andalucia on January 13, 2005, 01:00:14 pm
God damn, I swear even vegans don't eat that shit.

It still made me laugh though.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: CortJstr on January 13, 2005, 02:00:27 pm
It had to either be Moby or Goldfinger.

How are cherries nasty? Everybody loves cherries. It's a rule.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: AugustWest on January 13, 2005, 02:21:38 pm
This is just a great strip.  There is so much I love about this strip.  First of all, the plot is great.  Everybody is so completely in character.  "Only take one," indeed!

And the art is wonderful.  Pat's expressions are subtle but meaningful.  Ray's face in the first panel.  Beef in the fourth panel is terrific, but on closer examination, I think I like Beef's expression in the seventh panel even more.

Also, this strip is great because Pat gets stabbed.  What a dick!
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: Golfhaus on January 13, 2005, 02:25:34 pm
Man... we've got Pat, we've got a toilet... where's Lyle when we need him (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09222003)?

Oh yeah... Scotland.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: Emergent_C on January 13, 2005, 02:46:21 pm
Carob-covered prunes are insanely raunchy, but grilling meat less than 1' from a toilet is...fine...I guess.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: Va on January 13, 2005, 02:52:39 pm
What happened to Todd's tail?  It seems to have lost the bushy flip-over at the end and now just looks vaguely club shaped.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: arkabee on January 13, 2005, 03:10:05 pm
the comic strip about cartoon cats makes me smile.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: jay-ell on January 13, 2005, 03:54:32 pm
Quote from: "Va"
What happened to Todd's tail?  It seems to have lost the bushy flip-over at the end and now just looks vaguely club shaped.


More importantly, what happened to his stutter?  Did the beat it out of him in prison?
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: miles on January 13, 2005, 04:09:25 pm
This is the first strip in a while that made me laught out loud.  Not to say the other recent ones sucked, this was just great.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: miles on January 13, 2005, 04:11:19 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I think I like Beef's expression in the seventh panel even more.


You're right, that's great.  He's still getting over how gross that fucker was.  Looks like he's about ready to dry heave.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: Va on January 13, 2005, 04:20:12 pm
I like how Teodore's face changes from panel 5 to 6.  He looks mad to hear liquor-soaked cherries slandered so.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on January 13, 2005, 04:42:32 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
Quote from: "Va"
What happened to Todd's tail?  It seems to have lost the bushy flip-over at the end and now just looks vaguely club shaped.


More importantly, what happened to his stutter?  Did the beat it out of him in prison?


The stutter could be from neurological problems caused by insufficient myelin due to malnutrition; since Todd is Fat, it is clear he is getting the cholesterol and B-complex vitamins he needs for good nerve function.

I tend to believe that an artist's creations are  representations of a part of his or her personality. Clearly Onstad is in part a mixture of all of these characters. I would not want to see Onstad when his inner Pat comes out to play.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: V-Adore on January 13, 2005, 05:05:36 pm
Best detail of the strip for me: the fact that Todd can't shank Pat above the ankle. Bets that this will not go well for Todd in future?

Also, watching the expressions is great, especially Teodor's growing irritation. You can tell he was willing to consider the carob, but the prunes? No. No, no, no.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: Formica on January 13, 2005, 05:06:32 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
I would not want to see Onstad when his inner Pat comes out to play.

Sage wisdom, that.

If ever Pat needed a shanking, it was then. Actually, all the time, but right then in particular.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: AugustWest on January 13, 2005, 05:24:24 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
I would not want to see Onstad when his inner Pat comes out to play.

I thought that was when he posted here.


Damn, beat me to it!
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: Steve Hogan on January 13, 2005, 06:14:41 pm
http://ubba.moby.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1&Number=1243639&Main=1235646

I wonder which one of them is Pat's alias.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: jough on January 13, 2005, 06:21:40 pm
I can see the first undergrad psychology essay about Achewood now:

Ray is who Onstad wants to be, Beef is who he fears he may be, and Pat is who is really is.

Oh, it's all so Freudian I need a cigar.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: Skillator on January 13, 2005, 06:54:39 pm
As a whole this strip is insanely beautiful:
At a party at the cat in the thong's blue toilet, the asshole cat shows up with prunes covered in carob which he describes as chocolate covered cherries. The emotionally imbalanced cat proceeds to gag on them as he's berated by the asshole cat. The overweight squirrel fresh out of prison proceeds to stab the asshole cat in front of the blue toilet, the hibachi and the other party goers... in the ankle.

I also love the martini resting on the back of the toilet.
I'm becoming Roast Beef more and more every day it's shocking.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: CortJstr on January 13, 2005, 07:31:23 pm
Quote from: "Skillator"
I'm becoming Roast Beef more and more every day it's shocking.

Your initiation is progressing nicely. Although you could stand to use more Beefspeak.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: Skillator on January 13, 2005, 07:38:03 pm
I've been reading the stip for years but not posting here.
I went through a Lyle phase and a Philippe phase, but now I'm settling into Roastbeefiness. I was seriously wondering how much sodium was in my curry last night.
I think his threatening sexual assault to Pat and moving out was a big maturing step for us both and we were able to bridge the gap to becoming one another. I too have a lot of shirts that say ridiculous things that I will never wear. "What the hell people?"
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: Turbo Ninja on January 13, 2005, 07:47:14 pm
My favorite part: Ray continues to squat within puking distance of the toilet.  I think he gazes into the deep blue bowl and imagines a tiny little surfer.

Or maybe the Ti-D-Bowl man, all wearing his captain's hat, speedboating around the commode, pulling some waterskiers behind his miniature craft...
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: Skillator on January 13, 2005, 07:48:49 pm
Roast Beef Quote of the month:

"If I could ever do a single thing to not screw up my life it would be a goddam miracle."

I just read this blog and I just about died. In real life, he would be my best friend ever!
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: foolio on January 13, 2005, 07:51:01 pm
What's this about being vegan? Isn't a regular chocolate-covered CUNT vegan, as long as you use dark chocolate?
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 13, 2005, 07:54:57 pm
I just wish Todd had shot Pat.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: CortJstr on January 13, 2005, 07:57:48 pm
Quote from: "Turbo Ninja"
Or maybe the Ti-D-Bowl man, all wearing his captain's hat, speedboating around the commode, pulling some waterskiers behind his miniature craft...

I thought that was Red Man on a Jetski.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: Nabubrush on January 13, 2005, 09:03:17 pm
I wonder if Todd is going to fuck Pat in the ankle now.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: Skillator on January 13, 2005, 09:34:22 pm
I would love a Todd Blog.
It would make my day.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: AugustWest on January 13, 2005, 09:40:56 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Except for the bit where Todd is hell of illiterate.


Another new avatar?  Fickle!
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: Nabubrush on January 13, 2005, 10:04:07 pm
I think the rotating avatar thing is cool. Can you set up some thing to automatically do that? Or do you have to go in and change your profile every time?

Also, AW, if I had known it was possible and ok to do an avatar like you do, I would have done it a long time ago. If this is debagging a cat (decatting a bag?), I'm sorry.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: AugustWest on January 13, 2005, 10:06:24 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Also, AW, if I had known it was possible and ok to do an avatar like you do, I would have done it a long time ago. If this is debagging a cat (decatting a bag?), I'm sorry.


What do you mean like I do?
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: miles on January 13, 2005, 10:11:52 pm
Quote from: "foolio"
What's this about being vegan? Isn't a regular chocolate-covered CUNT vegan, as long as you use dark chocolate?


Some vegans won't eat refined sugar as I guess animal products are used in the refining process?

And then there is the distinction between ethical vegans and health vegans.  People can be both, but Pat, being such a dick, is probably vegan for health reasons, as I can't imagine him mustering much compassion for anything.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: Nabubrush on January 13, 2005, 10:16:21 pm
Maybe it's the enzyme that turns the sugar to liquid that causes the problem.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: miles on January 13, 2005, 10:20:15 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I wonder if Todd is going to fuck Pat in the ankle now.


Which would possibly be the grossest thing possible, depending on how explicit Chris made it.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: AugustWest on January 13, 2005, 10:31:57 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"

AW: I think Nabu's referring to the hosting source of your avatar.


??? Jough gave me a good deal on some server space.  I'm pretty sure that's where it's hosted.  I'm not leeching from Dumbrella, if that's what you think.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: Nabubrush on January 13, 2005, 10:35:44 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Asherdan"

AW: I think Nabu's referring to the hosting source of your avatar.


??? Jough gave me a good deal on some server space.  I'm pretty sure that's where it's hosted.  I'm not leeching from Dumbrella, if that's what you think.


Well, like I said, I didn't want to make trouble and I don't know much about it, but when I was thinking about the whole avatar thing I got to looking at the properties tab for some of them, and yours said what it says. I'd like to repeat that I am not trying to make trouble.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: AugustWest on January 13, 2005, 10:38:01 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Asherdan"

AW: I think Nabu's referring to the hosting source of your avatar.


??? Jough gave me a good deal on some server space.  I'm pretty sure that's where it's hosted.  I'm not leeching from Dumbrella, if that's what you think.


Well, like I said, I didn't want to make trouble and I don't know much about it, but when I was thinking about the whole avatar thing I got to looking at the properties tab for some of them, and yours said what it says. I'd like to repeat that I am not trying to make trouble.


No trouble at all.  Jough said he would fix this waaaaaay back in the first days of the board.  I never even checked on it.  If that is the case I will do what I can to fix it ASAP.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: jough on January 13, 2005, 10:42:07 pm
When did I say this?

This is the first I've heard that AW has been leeching off of Dumbrella, but whatever.  It's frowned upon but I don't give a shit.  I mean, really, it's rstevens's problem.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: AugustWest on January 13, 2005, 10:49:05 pm
Probly on like August 2, 2003.  It's fixed now.

Boy is my face red.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: Nabubrush on January 13, 2005, 11:08:59 pm
At least I PMed him about it, NARC.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: AugustWest on January 13, 2005, 11:12:51 pm
No, I'm glad you did.  Glad I was able to get it fixed.  As far as looking like an idiot, it's far from the first time that has happened.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: foolio on January 14, 2005, 12:16:55 am
I hate vegans. They should ship them to some cold place where they do manual labor all the time. And I should have a pet tiger who eats them.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: MattFish on January 14, 2005, 02:28:09 am
Quote from: "foolio"
I hate vegans. They should ship them to some cold place where they do manual labor all the time. And I should have a pet tiger who eats them.


They're better than crazy Atkins people
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: V-Adore on January 14, 2005, 02:31:10 am
Quote from: "miles"
And then there is the distinction between ethical vegans and health vegans.  People can be both, but Pat, being such a dick, is probably vegan for health reasons, as I can't imagine him mustering much compassion for anything.

Knowing Pat, he's probably just a vegan because it gives him more license to be a righteously indignant dickface whenever humanly (felinely?) possible.

Also, as a non-vegan, I can't speak for them, but IIRC the issue with refined sugar isn't that animal bits are involved, it's that refined sugar is less natural, involves horrible industrial sugar-making techniques practiced by cruel corporations, &c.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: Ben-San on January 14, 2005, 02:33:41 am
I knew someone who thought that refined sugar contained government mind control drugs and refused to sweeten with anything other than honey or self-pressed fruit juice.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: Nabubrush on January 14, 2005, 02:51:11 am
Quote from: "Ben-San"
I knew someone who thought that refined sugar contained government mind control drugs and refused to sweeten with anything other than honey or self-pressed fruit juice.


Now who's being naive, Ben-San?
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: andalucia on January 14, 2005, 03:05:13 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Also, as a non-vegan, I can't speak for them, but IIRC the issue with refined sugar isn't that animal bits are involved, it's that refined sugar is less natural, involves horrible industrial sugar-making techniques practiced by cruel corporations, &c.


It's because of filters made of bone charcoal, as far as I've ever heard.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: V-Adore on January 14, 2005, 03:12:46 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Also, as a non-vegan, I can't speak for them, but IIRC the issue with refined sugar isn't that animal bits are involved, it's that refined sugar is less natural, involves horrible industrial sugar-making techniques practiced by cruel corporations, &c.


It's because of filters made of bone charcoal, as far as I've ever heard.

Oh! Wow, I had no idea. That's... wild.

Thanks for edifying me; this is useful and mildly disquieting to know.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: CortJstr on January 14, 2005, 03:22:29 am
I'm glad my SO follows the "what I don't know" school of vegetarianism. Because so many delicious things have chicken stock in them.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: sensate on January 14, 2005, 03:31:34 am
I'm imagining that Pat gets an infection and dies. And then he goes to hell and gets his 1984 Subaru Brat. Pat in hell. Boy, that would piss him off.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: CortJstr on January 14, 2005, 03:58:07 am
Quote from: "sensate"
I'm imagining that Pat gets an infection and dies. And then he goes to hell and gets his 1984 Subaru Brat. Pat in hell. Boy, that would piss him off.

I think hell for Pat would involve attending every event sponsored by a radio station with Z, Hot, or The X in its name. Also, there would always be kids playing in his yard. With no shoes on eating fudgecicles and scratching his Brat with their bikes.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: AugustWest on January 14, 2005, 04:33:24 am
Quote from: "sensate"
I'm imagining that Pat gets an infection and dies. And then he goes to hell and gets his 1984 Subaru Brat. Pat in hell. Boy, that would piss him off.


They'd kick his ass outta hell.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: miles on January 14, 2005, 06:03:50 am
Quote from: "sensate"
I'm imagining that Pat gets an infection and dies. And then he goes to hell and gets his 1984 Subaru Brat. Pat in hell. Boy, that would piss him off.


Let's imagine every possible scenario and then when Chris posts the comic tomorrow we can accuse him of stealing our ideas.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 14, 2005, 06:16:44 am
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "Ben-San"
I knew someone who thought that refined sugar contained government mind control drugs and refused to sweeten with anything other than honey or self-pressed fruit juice.


Now who's being naive, Ben-San?


Good Lord, like the guy who only drinks rainwater and everclear because fluoridation is a russkie plot to corrupt the sanctity of our natural bodily fluids.

Yeeehaw!
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: andalucia on January 14, 2005, 01:47:21 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "Ben-San"
I knew someone who thought that refined sugar contained government mind control drugs and refused to sweeten with anything other than honey or self-pressed fruit juice.


Now who's being naive, Ben-San?


Good Lord, like the guy who only drinks rainwater and everclear because fluoridation is a russkie plot to corrupt the sanctity of our natural bodily fluids.

Yeeehaw!


The saddest thing is that I am actually from a town that, as far as I am aware, still refuses to fluoridate its water.  I dunno about commie plots, but if someone told them gay people like fluoride they would probably hold out for another couple of decades.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: arkabee on January 14, 2005, 03:06:48 pm
i think vegans taste better than atkins people,
but they are _much_ harder to cook.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 14, 2005, 06:22:07 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "Ben-San"
I knew someone who thought that refined sugar contained government mind control drugs and refused to sweeten with anything other than honey or self-pressed fruit juice.


Now who's being naive, Ben-San?


Good Lord, like the guy who only drinks rainwater and everclear because fluoridation is a russkie plot to corrupt the sanctity of our natural bodily fluids.

Yeeehaw!


The saddest thing is that I am actually from a town that, as far as I am aware, still refuses to fluoridate its water.  I dunno about commie plots, but if someone told them gay people like fluoride they would probably hold out for another couple of decades.


gotcha beat there, Andy. I'm from a damn STATE that won't add ANYTHING to the water. So the drinking water isn't even treated with chlorine, let alone fluoride. Damn dirty hippies.

Basically we drink rainwater that washes down from the mountains On the big island, outside of the towns, people keep cisterns to catch and store rainwater. Luckily there are very low levels of pollution here, but still we have to give our kids prescription vitamins for the fluoride. It's asinine.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: miles on January 14, 2005, 11:04:23 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
gotcha beat there, Andy. I'm from a damn STATE that won't add ANYTHING to the water. So the drinking water isn't even treated with chlorine, let alone fluoride. Damn dirty hippies.

Basically we drink rainwater that washes down from the mountains On the big island, outside of the towns, people keep cisterns to catch and store rainwater. Luckily there are very low levels of pollution here, but still we have to give our kids prescription vitamins for the fluoride. It's asinine.


In some New Mexican towns I've spent time in there is so much fluoride in the water that many of the citizens' teeth are brownish and yellowish.  Perfectly healthy, I hear, but tainted by the commie fluoride.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 15, 2005, 12:00:51 am
I've seen people with gross teeth everywhere I lived, but I would have thought that there would be guidelines as to the level. Weird.

Teeth here are especially nasty, though - so many old asian people with, like 4 teeth.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: Franz. on January 15, 2005, 04:39:22 pm
Okay, I can't be the only one -

Besides a delicious piece of lamb, what in the flying hell is a shank?

Yours in ignorance,

[ Franz. ]
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: V-Adore on January 15, 2005, 05:32:42 pm
Quote from: "Franz."
Okay, I can't be the only one -

Besides a delicious piece of lamb, what in the flying hell is a shank?

Yours in ignorance,

[ Franz. ]

It's a slangy verb meaning, roughly, "to stab," or "to fuck (someone)'s shit up in a gang-fight-ly fashion."
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: Bozack on January 15, 2005, 06:00:20 pm
Also, it often refers to a makeshift knife, carved out of available materials, used in the "fuck*ng-up." These are often found in prison. Usually it'll be like a toothbrush with the end sharpened down.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: jough on January 15, 2005, 07:10:08 pm
Yes, shank started out as a noun meaning a makeshift knife used to stab someone in prison.  Now the transitive verb "to shank" means to stab someone with a shank.  This is convenient as the shank really has only a single function.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: slink on January 15, 2005, 09:52:59 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Also, it often refers to a makeshift knife, carved out of available materials, used in the "fuck*ng-up." These are often found in prison. Usually it'll be like a toothbrush with the end sharpened down.


I thought that was a shiv? Well, I didn't, but then I heard it being called that and now wonder.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: CortJstr on January 15, 2005, 11:11:43 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "Bozack"
Also, it often refers to a makeshift knife, carved out of available materials, used in the "fuck*ng-up." These are often found in prison. Usually it'll be like a toothbrush with the end sharpened down.

I thought that was a shiv? Well, I didn't, but then I heard it being called that and now wonder.

Both are correct as nouns according to M-W. Although it doesn't yet recognize shank as a verb meaning stab, but does list the golf sense.
Title: Shank 'em - 13th January 2005
Post by: Nabubrush on January 16, 2005, 08:59:02 pm
My understanding is that

shiv=knife
shank=homemade knife.

It can be a sharpened spoon, which would provide more slicing. The toothbrush is usually heated and molded to make it a stabbing device (easy to slip into an undefended neck/ear).

PM me if you would like a delicious pruno recipe.