The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: yahnai on January 14, 2005, 08:06:59 am

Title: check this out...
Post by: yahnai on January 14, 2005, 08:06:59 am
http://www.enterthedream.net/webcomicbookclub/full.php?cid=149

Then check out the root of the site.

And I quote one of their reviewers:  "Achewood fails on every level that a furry wecomic can fail - no nudity or even titillation, too many male characters with no hints of yaoi interest, and no color at all! I don't know what kind of furry Mr. Onstar is but I reccommend he "get thee to an Anthrocon" immediately and then maybe his comic would be worth reading a little more closely."

I'm not entirely sure what this all means, but I have a strange feeling that it's hilarious.  Sure is strange.
Title: check this out...
Post by: V-Adore on January 14, 2005, 08:21:46 am
The review you cite is fairly obviously a joke (it appears to be authored by K. Thor Jensen, so there you go), but the three "real" reviews are almost hilariously spot-on in their Achewood newbie mistakes. Someone is confused about what species Ray is! Someone does not know Philippe is an alive stuffed animal. Hot damn, Ponce de Leon came back from the grave!
Title: check this out...
Post by: yahnai on January 14, 2005, 08:38:57 am
This K. Thor Jensen?

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03252003
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=12312003

Excellent of him to shank these guys for Achewood.  Heh.  The "Word up"/"Kinky Aberlour" strip he references as disliking is one of my all time favorites.
Title: check this out...
Post by: MattFish on January 14, 2005, 08:44:43 am
It's obvious the very negative reviews are coming from people who would much prefer to see a fox put his c*ck into a dog's butt.
Title: check this out...
Post by: V-Adore on January 14, 2005, 09:02:34 am
Upon further observation:

These people just dislike everything, often in inventively bizarre ways:
OMG DIESEL SWEETIES IS JOKE-A-DAY; THIS MEANS I MUST CONDESCEND TO IT, BECAUSE JOKE-A-DAY STRIPS JUST FAIL AT EVERYTHING AND ARE NEVER ANY GOOD (http://www.enterthedream.net/webcomicbookclub/full.php?cid=116)
Title: check this out...
Post by: Nabubrush on January 14, 2005, 04:45:51 pm
They haven't slammed WIGU yet, though I'm sure they would. Thank my diety that no one has suggested PBF.

I looked up a few other comics that I read (rarely), and they all got slammed, so I looked up our own Steve Hogan (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=95)'s Acid Keg (http://www.acidkeg.com/). The few people who wrote enjoyed it (http://www.enterthedream.net/webcomicbookclub/full.php?cid=161).

Note: I only read Achewood and PBF on a regular basis. I used to read WIGU and DS and all sorts of other ones, but it just got too much to keep up with, and be a member of society and the human race as well.
Title: check this out...
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 14, 2005, 06:17:31 pm
This one is my favorite:    

Quote from: "Did someone from here right this?"

I DON'T GET IT BECAUSE THEY DON'T TELL ME WHEN I SHOULD LAUGH

WE DEMAND "LOLS" AND EMBEDDED .WAVS OF RIMSHOTS


It has sort of a St. Zartan feel to it, but it also has the economy and wit of Arkabee.

So who wrote this?
Title: check this out...
Post by: Skillator on January 14, 2005, 06:20:50 pm
It's not that these reviews offend me because they don't get something I like. It's that the minds that come up with them are so severely fucked.

Why does it matter if they are real animals or dogs or cats? It's a fuck*ng comic strip. You're not here to disect a novel you're here to read a piece of humour.
You don't like Nice Pete, or Pat? Well that's because you're not supposed to. They're supposed to make you feel uncomfortable like so many creepy-ass people in real life.
If you're not willing to try and get it. Leave it the fuck alone.

Grrr.
Title: check this out...
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 14, 2005, 06:45:17 pm
OK, so I finally went to the root. And my curiousity overcame me so I checked out the 'flirting' thread.

MY GOD

Who are these people? What the hell?
Title: check this out...
Post by: V-Adore on January 14, 2005, 06:58:13 pm
Quote from: "Skillator"
It's not that these reviews offend me because they don't get something I like. It's that the minds that come up with them are so severely fucked.

Why does it matter if they are real animals or dogs or cats? It's a fuck*ng comic strip. You're not here to disect a novel you're here to read a piece of humour.
You don't like Nice Pete, or Pat? Well that's because you're not supposed to. They're supposed to make you feel uncomfortable like so many creepy-ass people in real life.
If you're not willing to try and get it. Leave it the fuck alone.

Grrr.

Yeah, that's what really got to me about this. It's like they are somehow personally offended by the idea that a comic need not always be about in-depth story arcs or realistic art. (The irony of the matter, of course, is that they both slam Achewood's laugh-a-day comics for being too simple and slam the actual plot arcs because they don't understand them. What the shit?)

Then again, at least they didn't claim to be actively smarter than the comic, which they do a lot with things like DS.
Title: check this out...
Post by: AugustWest on January 14, 2005, 07:26:20 pm
Check out what they had to say about The Parking Lot is Full (http://www.enterthedream.net/webcomicbookclub/full.php?cid=122).  Whatta bunch of mooks.

These guys seem to think that "Not getting it" is something to be proud of.
Title: check this out...
Post by: V-Adore on January 14, 2005, 07:30:52 pm
I actually sort of respect the "Cobra" guy*, as low-rent amateur Web critics go**; he at least has the guts to say "well, this is my call" and doesn't seem to believe that his lack of comprehension is in and of itself a virtue or proof of the strip's faultiness. Also, he doesn't use the super-twee "X out of 10" thing that otherwise seems ubiquitous.

* I presume "Cobra" is male; feel free to replace "he" with pronouns of your choice.
** Yes, yes, I know, glass houses.
Title: check this out...
Post by: Skillator on January 14, 2005, 08:20:32 pm
This fuck you friday goes out to the furry freaks who feel it necessary to grade a comic strip.
Title: check this out...
Post by: Steve Hogan on January 14, 2005, 08:41:40 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I actually sort of respect the "Cobra" guy*, as low-rent amateur Web critics go**; he at least has the guts to say "well, this is my call" and doesn't seem to believe that his lack of comprehension is in and of itself a virtue or proof of the strip's faultiness. Also, he doesn't use the super-twee "X out of 10" thing that otherwise seems ubiquitous.

* I presume "Cobra" is male; feel free to replace "he" with pronouns of your choice.
** Yes, yes, I know, glass houses.


Yeah, I was surprised Cobra didn't like Achewood, he usually is fairly adventurous.

I was also surpised that they liked Dinosaur Comics.  (Maybe there's hope?)
Title: check this out...
Post by: Nabubrush on January 14, 2005, 08:45:46 pm
Upon reflection, it's not surprising that they were disappointed with Achewood. It must have shown such promise, with the alive stuffed animals and all. And then nothing but day after day of bitter frustration.
Title: check this out...
Post by: AugustWest on January 14, 2005, 09:00:32 pm
Quote from: "Steve Hogan"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I actually sort of respect the "Cobra" guy*, as low-rent amateur Web critics go**; he at least has the guts to say "well, this is my call" and doesn't seem to believe that his lack of comprehension is in and of itself a virtue or proof of the strip's faultiness. Also, he doesn't use the super-twee "X out of 10" thing that otherwise seems ubiquitous.

* I presume "Cobra" is male; feel free to replace "he" with pronouns of your choice.
** Yes, yes, I know, glass houses.


Yeah, I was surprised Cobra didn't like Achewood, he usually is fairly adventurous.

I was also surpised that they liked Dinosaur Comics.  (Maybe there's hope?)

They liked Acid Keg a lot.  As well they should.
Title: check this out...
Post by: Nabubrush on January 14, 2005, 09:21:23 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
They liked Acid Keg a lot.  As well they should.


Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I looked up a few other comics that I read (rarely), and they all got slammed, so I looked up our own Steve Hogan (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=95)'s Acid Keg (http://www.acidkeg.com/). The few people who wrote enjoyed it (http://www.enterthedream.net/webcomicbookclub/full.php?cid=161).


* cough, cough *
Title: check this out...
Post by: Steve Hogan on January 14, 2005, 09:42:01 pm
Only two people reviewed it.  If I drew big tits on Froot ##### Lion, THEN you'd see some action.

EDIT: That should say P-a-n-t-s up there.  Did R. Stevens set the controls on this board too?
Title: check this out...
Post by: CortJstr on January 14, 2005, 09:51:19 pm
Quote from: "Steve Hogan"
Only two people reviewed it.  If I drew big tits on Froot ****** Lion, THEN you'd see some action.

EDIT: That should say P-a-n-t-s up there.  Did R. Stevens set the controls on this board too?

That's just our way of remembering where we came from.
Title: check this out...
Post by: Steve Hogan on January 14, 2005, 10:02:37 pm
Now you owe each other a coke, a pepsi and a ****.
Title: check this out...
Post by: jough on January 15, 2005, 03:22:56 am
I must admit to not reading any other web comic anymore.

I was reading Scary-Go-Round for awhile, but fell behind and then caught up only to find that he changed the artwork to make it somehow uglier and then I kinda lost interest.

I was reading Acid Keg until it started being a continuing story with a plot and stuff.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I'd never keep up.

I do read Zeldman.com and The New York Times kinda regularly, although there are no funny pictures there.
Title: check this out...
Post by: AugustWest on January 15, 2005, 03:37:28 am
I don't read any others on a daily basis, but I do go and catch up every once in awhile on a few.  I like You Darn Kid a lot, also Cat and Girl.  The Perry Bible Fellowship is great.  But I don't feel compelled to read them everyday the way I do w/Achewood.
Title: check this out...
Post by: starlight on January 15, 2005, 03:53:13 am
Yeah, I only read achewood on a consistent basis.
I have been reading Questionable Content (http://www.questionablecontent.net) again after accidently dropping it in October
plus I read a couple non-regular comics.. one that's MWF (FH (http://www.friendlyhostility.com)) and another that is on break right now.

I used to read around 40, but that was too hardcore to keep up with obviously.  I do figure I may purchase more megatokyo books though since I found it was easier to read the strip in manga format.

---

As for that furry stuff... ahah.  reminds me of this one community on lj I read where this furry came in ganging up on another for not letting the guy have his stuffed Barney fantasy.. ew.
Title: check this out...
Post by: Bozack on January 15, 2005, 05:17:04 am
I read Achewood, Scary Go Round, Wigu, Goats, Diesel Sweeties, Sam and Fuzzy, Something Positive, Acid Keg, Perry Bible Fellowship, Penny Arcade, PvP, Shaw Island, Butternut Squash, Cat and Girl and Real Life Comics. I'm not 100% in love with all of them, and Achewood's probably the only one I read daily. The rest I might miss a few days and then catch up.

It's quickly becoming clear that, out of all of us, I am the one who spends the most time glued to the internet.
Title: check this out...
Post by: V-Adore on January 15, 2005, 05:23:28 am
I read Achewood, Diesel Sweeties, Goats, Penny Arcade, and Narbonic (http://www.narbonic.com) daily or semi-daily, with Narbonic and Achewood being the only ones of those that I couldn't live without.  (PA is getting close; I got onto that particular boat a little late, but I do enjoy it.) There are a few others that I read sporadically -- Slow Wave and Cat and Girl come to mind. There are a few in strange liminal states; I need to start reading Acid Keg, and Wigu has, of course, recently stopped being an active part of my life.

Terrible confession: I really, really don't like Something Positive, and I have my doubts I ever will. Le sigh.
Title: check this out...
Post by: AugustWest on January 15, 2005, 05:27:57 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Terrible confession: I really, really don't like Something Positive, and I have my doubts I ever will. Le sigh.


Honey.  I don't read Something Positive and never have, so I have no idea aesthetically why it repels you.  However, I must ask -- Why are you apologizing for not liking it?  You are entitled to your taste and opinion.  You needn't apologize for it.  Like (and dislike) what you will.  We'll still love you hereabouts.
Title: check this out...
Post by: V-Adore on January 15, 2005, 05:38:17 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Terrible confession: I really, really don't like Something Positive, and I have my doubts I ever will. Le sigh.


Honey.  I don't read Something Positive and never have, so I have no idea aesthetically why it repels you.  However, I must ask -- Why are you apologizing for not liking it?  You are entitled to your taste and opinion.  You needn't apologize for it.  Like (and dislike) what you will.  We'll still love you hereabouts.

Thanks. I'm sorry, but I get really defensive about SP; it seems to have become the comic that everyone I know except me reads and adores beyond all others, and I can't stand it. Just cannot stand it. After a while, you figure it's you and not them, you know?
Title: check this out...
Post by: Bozack on January 15, 2005, 06:07:08 am
The thing is, I don't like it either. The way the main character is always without fault and constantly gives flawless advice and is essentially Sarcastic Jesus, the way all of the characters are really one-dimensional, etc. I just read it because it updates daily, and my brain needs a constant media feed. I should stop reading it and start reading Narbotic.
Title: check this out...
Post by: arkabee on January 15, 2005, 06:37:06 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Check out what they had to say about The Parking Lot is Full (http://www.enterthedream.net/webcomicbookclub/full.php?cid=122).  Whatta bunch of mooks.


i got the the first sentence, and then i punched my monitor.

what did it say?  what?
"on the humor front, it's not funny."

WHATTHEFUCKHELLSHITPEOPLE?

AGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH.


Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
This one is my favorite:    

Quote from: "Did someone from here right this?"

I DON'T GET IT BECAUSE THEY DON'T TELL ME WHEN I SHOULD LAUGH

WE DEMAND "LOLS" AND EMBEDDED .WAVS OF RIMSHOTS


It has sort of a St. Zartan feel to it, but it also has the economy and wit of Arkabee.

So who wrote this?


biting back peals of laughter at the thought of wit or economy, it was most definitely not me because the post would have looked alot more like:

"AAGHGGGGGGGHHHHHH."
Title: check this out...
Post by: V-Adore on January 15, 2005, 05:31:40 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
The thing is, I don't like it either. The way the main character is always without fault and constantly gives flawless advice and is essentially Sarcastic Jesus, the way all of the characters are really one-dimensional, etc. I just read it because it updates daily, and my brain needs a constant media feed. I should stop reading it and start reading Narbotic.

Narbonic updates daily and is much happier in general, yes. That said, I get your reasoning; I read DS mostly because it's not taxing and I can rely on a laugh a day, even if it's a kind of strange, "huh" sort of laugh.
Title: check this out...
Post by: Steve Hogan on January 17, 2005, 01:34:33 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I was reading Acid Keg until it started being a continuing story with a plot and stuff.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I'd never keep up.


Don't feel bad,  I had the same problem.
Title: check this out...
Post by: Skillator on January 17, 2005, 06:53:40 pm
I'm kinda surprised not to see white ninja, or Dinosaur comics on a lot of people's lists. But I like the ridiculous off the wall stuff more than the average bear.

Also do any of you read comic strip?
http://www.scarybear.org/

He only updates weekly but some of his stuff is orgasmically funny.
Title: check this out...
Post by: Bozack on January 17, 2005, 11:00:34 pm
Oh snaps! I had totally forgot about comic strip! I used to have it emailed to me, but then changed email addresses! It's a Christmas miracle!
Title: check this out...
Post by: Nabubrush on January 17, 2005, 11:48:54 pm
I only read The Lockhorns (http://www.kingfeatures.com/features/comics/lockhorn/about.htm) and love is (http://www.comicspage.com/loveis/). It's kind of a yin/yang thing.
Title: check this out...
Post by: wombat on January 18, 2005, 12:51:13 am
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I only read The Lockhorns (http://www.kingfeatures.com/features/comics/lockhorn/about.htm) and love is (http://www.comicspage.com/loveis/). It's kind of a yin/yang thing.


AAAIEEEEEEE!
Title: check this out...
Post by: andalucia on January 18, 2005, 12:56:38 am
Quote from: "Skillator"
I'm kinda surprised not to see white ninja, or Dinosaur comics on a lot of people's lists. But I like the ridiculous off the wall stuff more than the average bear.

Also do any of you read comic strip?
http://www.scarybear.org/

He only updates weekly but some of his stuff is orgasmically funny.


I read White Ninja.  I had been trying to stay out of the listing game, but I agree that lack of love for White Ninja is pretty much a crime against humanity.
While I'm here, I'd like to say that I also regularly read American Elf, Questionable Content, Boy On A Stick And Slither, and Red Meat.  Not one for keeping up with a million things.  I read DS sometimes but it mostly annoys me.

Also, holy crap, I had never seen Love Is before.  Does that actually run in newspapers?  Where are their clothes and/or genitals?
Title: check this out...
Post by: Steve Hogan on January 18, 2005, 07:35:55 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "Skillator"
I read White Ninja.  I had been trying to stay out of the listing game, but I agree that lack of love for White Ninja is pretty much a crime against humanity.


I like it!  I like it!  It's just one of those strips like Perry Bible Fellowship that I read once a month in big helpings.
Title: check this out...
Post by: Nabubrush on January 18, 2005, 09:22:07 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Also, holy crap, I had never seen Love Is before.  Does that actually run in newspapers?  Where are their clothes and/or genitals?


It predates the internet by at least 20 years, I'll say. It ran in the Anchorage Times (http://www.motherearthnews.com/arc/2784/) (a conservatively-slanted daily) until that paper folded. They have no genitals because it runs in family papers. They have no clothes (I'm assuming) because they are supposed to be traipsing through some Edenic wonderland. Isn't it horrible? Can you look away?