The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: MattFish on January 17, 2005, 05:12:44 am

Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: MattFish on January 17, 2005, 05:12:44 am
I don't get around to many webcomics. I see the Lesnick stab, who are the others?

now that I got the first post, I get to edit the title at my leisure.
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: CortJstr on January 17, 2005, 05:21:04 am
Am I lamer or cooler for not recognizing any of them?

Actually, unless they were pixellated or Lore I don't think I'd know any characters.
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: jough on January 17, 2005, 05:32:13 am
Yeah, I didn't recognise any of them.

Maybe 'stad can illuminate this for us.
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: andalucia on January 17, 2005, 05:32:44 am
Yeah, I don't get it either.  I liked the use of Comic Sans though.
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: Nabubrush on January 17, 2005, 05:38:55 am
I like the one with the open mouth and oval glasses but Jesus.

Sorry. This whole thing just makes me think of those furry idiots, and that pretty much just makes me angry.
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: Chris Onstad on January 17, 2005, 05:41:03 am
I don't know who any of these douche webcomics characters are. I took some screenshots at "keenspot" and figure they're the "lousy webcomic archetypes." I'm typing this so that people don't think I actually know anything about them.  

However, that being said, they are all going to be permanent fixtures in the strip, replacing such characters as Raymond Smuckles and Cassandra Kazenzakis. Meet Mopey Coffee Dyke and Vaguely Japanese Shit.

 :!:  :cry:  :P  :x  :?:  :(  :)  :D  :shock:  :evil:  :!:  :|  :arrow:
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: Bozack on January 17, 2005, 05:44:50 am
Mocking things you found on Keenspot is kind of like making fun of how little kids dress, I think.

EDITED SO IT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE I SAW CHRIS' STATEMENT AND THEN POSTED THIS.

Ummm...yeah, this isn't me pissing on the comic. I think it's funny. But these people are idiots!
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: V-Adore on January 17, 2005, 05:46:07 am
Full points for "such characters as."

Also, yeah, this looks to cover the spectrum -- Fruity Fairy Girl With Special Powers! Angsty Probably-A-Lesbian S*P Reject! Generically-Drawn Furry! Action, go!
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: AugustWest on January 17, 2005, 05:51:47 am
This is so so funny.

However for you, Chris, this is shooting giraffe in a barrel.  Go back to mocking us.  This is an excellent strip.
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: Nabubrush on January 17, 2005, 06:01:05 am
Hey, congratulations on one hundred posts, Chris.

*shiver*
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: old kentucky shark on January 17, 2005, 07:00:03 am
This comic is Martin Luther King day!
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: Bozack on January 17, 2005, 07:29:53 am
Old Kentucky Shark? Of Old Kentucky Nightmare Talk Show Liquor Corporation?
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: cellardoor on January 17, 2005, 08:43:37 am
I only read Achewood. Not 'cause i'm elitist but because when I read Dilbert and P2P blood poured out of my eyes.
POURED!
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: char * on January 17, 2005, 12:09:52 pm
The one in panel 5 looks like Otra from go-girly.com.
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: zarawesome on January 17, 2005, 12:19:16 pm
The girl with the ponytail is definitely Lesnick's work. The kid with the weird glasses is from Anti-Hero for Hire, from the maker of Adventurers.

That being said, I think the comic is rather harsh. Like you said, it mocks webcomics in general. I read it and I hear, 'all webcomics suck except Achewood'. Telling that to a public that probably reads a -lot- of webcomics might raise the geek equivalent of fire and pitchforks.
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: southworth813 on January 17, 2005, 01:03:36 pm
First post here, so be nice. I've actually been part of Keenspot from the beginning, and I couldn't agree with Chris more. Poor quality, unoriginal garbage, for the most part (with some exceptions). What you don't see is that not only do they have a piss poor "talent" pool, but they have the business sense of a drunk baby elephant with downsyndrome.  

Please don't let this unfortunate affiliation influence your opinion of me. I am only a boy, asking for a girl to love him.
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: Steve Hogan on January 17, 2005, 01:38:03 pm
I thought it was a jab at the Enterthedream webcomic review club.  (Mostly cuz of the manga cat.)
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on January 17, 2005, 02:25:19 pm
Quote from: "southworth813"
First post here, so be nice. I've actually been part of Keenspot from the beginning, and I couldn't agree with Chris more.


Show us your strip.
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: V-Adore on January 17, 2005, 02:33:17 pm
Quote from: "zarawesome"
The girl with the ponytail is definitely Lesnick's work. The kid with the weird glasses is from Anti-Hero for Hire, from the maker of Adventurers.

That being said, I think the comic is rather harsh. Like you said, it mocks webcomics in general. I read it and I hear, 'all webcomics suck except Achewood'. Telling that to a public that probably reads a -lot- of webcomics might raise the geek equivalent of fire and pitchforks.

Er... why? It's possible, but... why?

You also say that in a tone like Onstad is somehow betraying his fanbase -- when he's been open for some time (at least since the Dumbrella move, probably longer) about his distaste for most of the webcomic community and the predilections thereof. Furthermore, he's taking a few broad shots to which he seems to be wholly entitled. Anyone who would be grievously offended by this just needs to go back to Marmaduke.

Quote from: "southworth813"
First post here, so be nice. I've actually been part of Keenspot from the beginning, (...)
Please don't let this unfortunate affiliation influence your opinion of me. I am only a boy, asking for a girl to love him.

You are allowed. Out of curiosity, do you actually draw a strip for them, or are you just a long-time watcher of their activities?
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: St_Zartan on January 17, 2005, 02:39:59 pm
Quote from: "Steve Hogan"
I thought it was a jab at the Enterthedream webcomic review club.  (Mostly cuz of the manga cat.)


Same here, actually.

I really liked this strip; it was a clean, efficient skewering.

NUMBER OF LIVEJOURNAL USERS LISTING "CYNICISM" AND "COFFEE" AS INTERESTS: FOUR HUNDRED THOUSAND

I actually hope that this "raise the geek equivalent of fire and pitchforks". If you think these Keenspotkateers are tiresome and insipid now, just wait until they get all self-righteous. I've been lurking in the PoE forums long enough to know Entertainment Value when I read it.
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: southworth813 on January 17, 2005, 02:49:12 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
You are allowed. Out of curiosity, do you actually draw a strip for them, or are you just a long-time watcher of their activities?


I draw (drew, actually) a strip called "Krazy Larry" for Keenspot for the last five years or so. I just recently quit to start up another strip with them, called "Ugly Hill", which we are attempting to get into newspapers. I have long disagreed with Keenspot's policy of basically letting anyone join who has above x-amount of pageviews. It just breeds bad comics, as is evident by Keenspot's abundant overflow of HORRIBLY HORRIBLE COMICS.

Also, off-topic, it is a testament to Achewood's quality that I am still reading, as I ordered a t-shirt about two years ago and still have not received it. I just can't stay mad.
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: zarawesome on January 17, 2005, 02:55:09 pm
Aha. The cat in the jacket is from 'Better Days', which is not in Keenspot or even Keenspace. It -is- the favorite comic of one of the EnterTheDream people that gave Achewood a bad review, however (which is how I found it).
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: Steve Hogan on January 17, 2005, 02:59:06 pm
"Geek equivalent of fire and pitchforks"

Hit points and double sided lightsabers?
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: Karva on January 17, 2005, 03:53:12 pm
girly is actually a really good webcomic.

Better Days is horrible though.
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: old kentucky shark on January 17, 2005, 06:00:55 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Old Kentucky Shark? Of Old Kentucky Nightmare Talk Show Liquor Corporation?


A hundred percent of yes! A veritable smorgasbord of mm-hmm!
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: jough on January 17, 2005, 06:23:45 pm
Actually, I didn't get the sense that Achewood was excluded from the opinions of his characters.

I think Ray would think of Chris's strip as hell of lame as well.
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: sensate on January 17, 2005, 07:50:23 pm
Krazy Larry rocked, btw. Nice to see you here, Paul. Please tell me your new comic is deranged and misanthropic.

Oh, and the 'cynical dyke,' not Faye from Questionable Content?
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: Pedro Picasso on January 17, 2005, 08:02:12 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Actually, I didn't get the sense that Achewood was excluded from the opinions of his characters.

I think Ray would think of Chris's strip as hell of lame as well.


I seem to recall him calling bullshit (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12012003) on the occasional storyline.
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: southworth813 on January 17, 2005, 08:12:35 pm
Quote from: "sensate"
Krazy Larry rocked, btw. Nice to see you here, Paul. Please tell me your new comic is deranged and misanthropic.


Well gosh, thanks. The new comic is being published in newspapers, so I had to reign it in a little. But I hope people will like it anyway, as I'm working very hard on it. As soon as it becomes available online, I'll let people know on the KL website.

Back to Achewood: I like the way the "other webcomic" characters don't move (or hardly move) at all through the entire panel progression. It really re-enforces the idea that they have no depth, especially that douchebag with his mouth hanging agape in a perpetual pseudo-japanese battlecry.
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: slink on January 17, 2005, 08:28:29 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Actually, I didn't get the sense that Achewood was excluded from the opinions of his characters.

I think Ray would think of Chris's strip as hell of lame as well.


That's the feeling I got for sure. Part of what I dug about it the most.
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: Huge Uncut Asian Jerkboy on January 17, 2005, 09:04:25 pm
Hopefully as permanent as shortcakes the leprechaun and Steven, the waiter who is really strong but too nice to ever get ahead in life.
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: tai on January 17, 2005, 10:19:33 pm
Hmm.. the only Keenspot comic worth a damn that I've come across is Superosity.  That and Achewood make up my daily read.  (ok and ScaryGoRound, DieselSweeties, and Goats.. geez)

*long time lurker 1st time poster..
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: AugustWest on January 17, 2005, 10:43:44 pm
Quote from: "tai"
*long time lurker 1st time poster..


What the hell is up with that?  We don't bite!  Post, lurkers, post!

Welcome tai and everybody else.
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: Bozack on January 17, 2005, 10:59:14 pm
Jesus, you wrote Krazy Larry?

I.....I....yeah, I liked that a lot. Way to go having freaking awesome art with good stories. SHOCK. ER.
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: Nabubrush on January 17, 2005, 11:44:13 pm
What the fuck is going on around here all of a sudden?
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: V-Adore on January 17, 2005, 11:57:47 pm
Welcome, all de-lurkers. You will be loved here.

I will freely confess that I never got around to reading Krazy Larry, but it looked to be of significantly higher quality than most of the Keen-stuff. To the archives I go!

And yes, Keenspot's business model always confused the living crap out of me. I remember nothing about it except that it involved a lot of reliance on the concept of "lots of hits" -> "???" -> "profit!" The ads I recall getting very blatant about "please just hit us, we aren't very good but there's an arguably sexy lady in it."
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: southworth813 on January 18, 2005, 12:13:12 am
Wow, now I'm glad I "de-lurked". I've been reading this forum for months now, and have been a-feared to join because I thought you literary jackals would tear me a brand new asshole in the middle of my forehead. I am pleasantly surprised, and happy to be here.
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: yahnai on January 18, 2005, 12:27:38 am
Well, I thought today's comic was pretty damn funny.  Not as funny as the prank calls.

"Cathy... have my retarded baby..."  And especially:  "up yours garfield"

Not to over analyze, but tearing down the genre a little bit keeps Achewood a little edgy in my eyes.  I've spent a couple of insomniac nights reading Keenspot comics.  The content there isn't nearly as good as Modern Tales or Serializer, but it's free.  The art there seems to be riddled with more raw teenage angst than refined artistic angst.  Meh.  Screw 'em.
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: Nabubrush on January 18, 2005, 12:43:16 am
Hey 813 - nice avatar. I'm going to toot my own horn and let you know that I have the original PBF "Bear Boy" and I consider it priceless.
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: ferocious j on January 18, 2005, 12:44:43 am
That vampire dude with the shaggy hair and perpetually-open mouth is making me laugh more every time I go back to that strip.
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: southworth813 on January 18, 2005, 12:53:14 am
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Hey 813 - nice avatar. I'm going to toot my own horn and let you know that I have the original PBF "Bear Boy" and I consider it priceless.


Shit, get the hell out of here... PBF is the best new comic I've come across in a long time, in my opinion. It reminds me of "The Far Side", and I wish it updated more than once a week.

How did you get your hands on an original? Do you know the artist?
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: andalucia on January 18, 2005, 12:56:21 am
literary jackals.


I like this a lot.
Hi flood of new people.
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 18, 2005, 02:29:55 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "zarawesome"
The girl with the ponytail is definitely Lesnick's work. The kid with the weird glasses is from Anti-Hero for Hire, from the maker of Adventurers.

That being said, I think the comic is rather harsh. Like you said, it mocks webcomics in general. I read it and I hear, 'all webcomics suck except Achewood'. Telling that to a public that probably reads a -lot- of webcomics might raise the geek equivalent of fire and pitchforks.

Er... why? It's possible, but... why?

You also say that in a tone like Onstad is somehow betraying his fanbase -- when he's been open for some time (at least since the Dumbrella move, probably longer) about his distaste for most of the webcomic community and the predilections thereof. Furthermore, he's taking a few broad shots to which he seems to be wholly entitled. Anyone who would be grievously offended by this just needs to go back to Marmaduke.

Quote from: "southworth813"
First post here, so be nice. I've actually been part of Keenspot from the beginning, (...)
Please don't let this unfortunate affiliation influence your opinion of me. I am only a boy, asking for a girl to love him.

You are allowed. Out of curiosity, do you actually draw a strip for them, or are you just a long-time watcher of their activities?


But keenspot is optimized for AOL and WebTV!
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: Bozack on January 18, 2005, 02:33:30 am
Right now I'm imagining two jackals attacking a weak and elderly lion. While one distracts it from the front, the other ducks under and bites open the lions stomach. Then it looks up, its maw glistening with blood and visceria, and gurgles, "I...PREFER....DELILLO!"
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: AugustWest on January 18, 2005, 02:43:51 am
I consider myself more of a literary hyena.
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: arkabee on January 18, 2005, 05:02:13 am
Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
they are all going to be permanent fixtures in the strip, replacing such characters as Raymond Smuckles and Cassandra Kazenzakis. Meet Mopey Coffee Dyke and Vaguely Japanese Shit.


this should have been the alt-text.

i know it is cliche, but i spit out coffee when i read that.

and not just because this nescafe instant tastes horrible.
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: arkabee on January 18, 2005, 05:04:19 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
Mocking things you found on Keenspot is kind of like making fun of how little kids dress, I think.


but, in a way, wouldn't i be making fun of their parents for letting them out of the house looking that way?

it's not the author's fault their webcomic sucks,
their parents should have used more discipline.
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: southworth813 on January 18, 2005, 12:29:43 pm
YES. Upside-down tooth guy gets the square.

DING DING DING
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: Steve Hogan on January 18, 2005, 07:37:14 pm
You know, I'm actually diappointed that this strip didn't lead to a big brouhaha.
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: Nabubrush on January 18, 2005, 09:26:27 pm
Quote from: "southworth813"
How did you get your hands on an original? Do you know the artist?


I asked and crossed his palm with silver. And yes I do. As a matter of fact, I introduced him to Achewood. Now I'm guaranteed a spot in Heaven.







Huge Uncut Asian Jerkboy? Hmmm. I think this forum may be too popular for me now.
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: Pedro Picasso on January 18, 2005, 09:51:55 pm
Quote from: "southworth813"
YES. Upside-down tooth guy gets the square.

DING DING DING


This reminds me.  Arkabee, I've been gone for a while.  Is this change from the avatar changing carnage a couple of forums over, or is Tooth Nation's only seaport under some kind of distress?
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: arkabee on January 18, 2005, 11:24:22 pm
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"


This reminds me.  Arkabee, I've been gone for a while.  Is this change from the avatar changing carnage a couple of forums over, or is Tooth Nation's only seaport under some kind of distress?


yes?

i think you missed his hat.

it was christmas!
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: Bozack on January 18, 2005, 11:51:34 pm
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
...is Tooth Nation's only seaport under some kind of distress?


I love being a member on a forum where this would be a given reason for an upside-down tooth.
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: arkabee on January 19, 2005, 04:20:29 am
(http://www.themisc.com/~kevbob/arkabee-distress-flag.jpg)
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: southworth813 on January 19, 2005, 12:28:34 pm
I heard Toothania was hit by the Toothami.







I'm sorry.
Title: 1/17/05 - Your activities are so poorly conveyed
Post by: drew on January 19, 2005, 04:17:16 pm
Quote from: "southworth813"
I heard Toothania was hit by the Toothami.







I'm sorry.


Boooo.... (only jealous that I didn't come up with that one myself)