The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Gimpson on January 20, 2005, 11:15:38 pm

Title: Will You Be My (Netflix) Friend?
Post by: Gimpson on January 20, 2005, 11:15:38 pm
I use Netflix, but don't have too many real life friends who use Netflix.  The few I do have are registered as my Netflix Friends and I've gotten some good recommendations from them.  It sounds like we've got several folks on here who use Netflix, would anybody mind getting on my Friends list so I can get some more movie recommendations?
Title: Will You Be My (Netflix) Friend?
Post by: jough on January 20, 2005, 11:19:02 pm
You got it, chief.  What's your Netflix user name?

I'm "Jough Dempsey".

Original, I know.
Title: Will You Be My (Netflix) Friend?
Post by: Gimpson on January 20, 2005, 11:24:24 pm
I'm on there as "Ryan Olson", with the same email that I use for the board (gimpgimpson@yahoo.com).
Title: Will You Be My (Netflix) Friend?
Post by: miles on January 25, 2005, 06:14:01 am
Quote from: "Gimpson"
I'm on there as "Ryan Olson", with the same email that I use for the board (gimpgimpson@yahoo.com).


I saw somewhere it's only 11.99 now.  Is that only a promo?  If not, looks like I'll be joining, once I get the 2nd Season of the Wire from Blockbuster Online.
Title: Will You Be My (Netflix) Friend?
Post by: jough on January 25, 2005, 07:10:16 am
I think the cheapest tier is $17.99.  And yes, I think either Blockbuster or Walmart has a 2 out at a time for cheaper (Netflix is 3 at a time for $17.99) but they don't have the service that Netflix has, or the large catalog.

But I'm only a client.
Title: Will You Be My (Netflix) Friend?
Post by: Gimpson on January 25, 2005, 02:13:35 pm
No, they have a two-at-a-time program for $11.99, but it isn't unlimited like the rest of their plans.  At the $11.99 price you only get four rentals a month, which kind of defeats the purpose.  $17.99 is the cheapest unlimited rental plan.  

Full Disclosure:  I own 50 shares of NFLX.  And it looks like I'm totally making some money (http://www.thestreet.com/_googlen/tech/georgemannes/10204863.html?cm_ven=GOOGLEN&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA) today...
Title: Will You Be My (Netflix) Friend?
Post by: miles on January 25, 2005, 04:14:25 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"
No, they have a two-at-a-time program for $11.99, but it isn't unlimited like the rest of their plans.  At the $11.99 price you only get four rentals a month, which kind of defeats the purpose.  $17.99 is the cheapest unlimited rental plan.  

Full Disclosure:  I own 50 shares of NFLX.  And it looks like I'm totally making some money (http://www.thestreet.com/_googlen/tech/georgemannes/10204863.html?cm_ven=GOOGLEN&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA) today...


I see.  Blockbuster is 3 at a time for 15.99.  Their selection is just fine, so far.
Title: Will You Be My (Netflix) Friend?
Post by: CortJstr on January 25, 2005, 05:17:30 pm
Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "Gimpson"
No, they have a two-at-a-time program for $11.99, but it isn't unlimited like the rest of their plans.  At the $11.99 price you only get four rentals a month, which kind of defeats the purpose.  $17.99 is the cheapest unlimited rental plan.  

Full Disclosure:  I own 50 shares of NFLX.  And it looks like I'm totally making some money (http://www.thestreet.com/_googlen/tech/georgemannes/10204863.html?cm_ven=GOOGLEN&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA) today...

I see.  Blockbuster is 3 at a time for 15.99.  Their selection is just fine, so far.

But don't you actually have to go to Blockbuster? I think I live in the only place in America without any Blockbusters nearby. Assuming the Hollywood Video buyout falls through, anyway.
Title: Will You Be My (Netflix) Friend?
Post by: jough on January 25, 2005, 06:36:38 pm
Oh, Blockbuster's subscription plan isn't through the mail?  They're not really a competitor, then.

And of course I tend to rent a lot of foreign films and prefer unrated cuts of other films, so Blockbuster is next to useless for me.

Walmart has a mail-order subscription service, and Amazon.com is rolling one out this year.   There's plenty of market space for all of them, I'm sure.
Title: Will You Be My (Netflix) Friend?
Post by: CortJstr on January 25, 2005, 08:25:56 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Oh, Blockbuster's subscription plan isn't through the mail?  They're not really a competitor, then.

I'm not sure, I was asking.

I know it's still in the vaporware stage but I'm waiting for the Netflix/TiVo partner ship. Apparently you can DL the movie onto the TiVo overnight and as soon as you delete it the next movie in the queue starts to transfer.
Title: Will You Be My (Netflix) Friend?
Post by: jough on January 25, 2005, 08:28:03 pm
Yeah, I have that now.  It's called Torrent Manager. ;)
Title: Will You Be My (Netflix) Friend?
Post by: miles on January 26, 2005, 05:50:15 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "Gimpson"
No, they have a two-at-a-time program for $11.99, but it isn't unlimited like the rest of their plans.  At the $11.99 price you only get four rentals a month, which kind of defeats the purpose.  $17.99 is the cheapest unlimited rental plan.  

Full Disclosure:  I own 50 shares of NFLX.  And it looks like I'm totally making some money (http://www.thestreet.com/_googlen/tech/georgemannes/10204863.html?cm_ven=GOOGLEN&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA) today...

I see.  Blockbuster is 3 at a time for 15.99.  Their selection is just fine, so far.

But don't you actually have to go to Blockbuster? I think I live in the only place in America without any Blockbusters nearby. Assuming the Hollywood Video buyout falls through, anyway.


No, it's through the mail.  Three at a time, unlimited, etc.  Plus you get two free movie vouchers a month to use at your local (or any) Blockbuster.  I've been really pleased with it so far.  I've heard the selection isn't as great as Netflix's, but I haven't run out of choices yet.  When I do, I guess I switch.