The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: linnea on January 21, 2005, 12:06:10 am
-
Wired had a pretty rad article about obnoxious cell phone users and the alarming difficulty that etiquette has endured trying to reign in this unfortunate trend: http://www.wired.com/news/wireless/0,1382,66310,00.html
My favorite, of course, are the SHHH! Cards that you can fill out and hand to Inconsiderate Cell Phone Guy:
http://www.coudal.com/shhhcards.pdf
Dear Cell Phone User,
WE ARE AWARE THAT YOUR ONGOING CONVERSATION
with _______________________ is important to you,
and hey, we were right there with you, “going,”
- WHAT UP?
- AW YEAH.
- I CAN’T BELIEVE IT.
- THE NERVE!
- LIKE, OMIGOD.
- FUCK THAT SHIT.
BUT...that doesn't mean the rest of us are interested in yer loud, obnoxious account of whatever shit-ass life you might be leading.
This message brought to you
by a concerned member of: SHHH! Society for HandHeld Hushing
Man, I wish I had those things in Denver. Here in the wilds of the Aleutian Islands, people have cellphone but are very courteous. I think that goes part and parcel to living in a small town -- the last thing you want is to have a hugely loud or embarrassing conversation at the grocery store in front of half the town. In larger places such as Denver, people wandered around with the notion that anonyminity somehow granted them privacy, and talked in unnecessarily loud voices about subjects that should probably never leave the privacy of their own home.
Anyway, the Wired article also had a great mention of a restaurant that has an antique English telephone booth marked "Cell Phone Booth" and that people actually make continual use of it. I would much rather go into a booth to make a call than have to be standing around inside. Anyway, what do you guys think?