The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: MattFish on January 21, 2005, 12:07:30 pm

Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: MattFish on January 21, 2005, 12:07:30 pm
I have no real comment other than we all sort of foresaw this, even if, in fact, we didn't.

this is the sole benefit of staying up to ungodly hours when you are all kinds of tired.
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: southworth813 on January 21, 2005, 12:27:25 pm
How is it possible to foresee a cartoon cat dressing up like a young John Cusack and passionatley displaying job options for his girlfriend?

I laughed out loud today because I, for one, did not see that coming.
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: cellardoor on January 21, 2005, 01:17:43 pm
I wanted something like this to happen but in no way could've predicted it.
GO BEEF!
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: arlucasinc on January 21, 2005, 01:52:07 pm
Beef would never use Internet Exploder. Never.

We'll just chalk that up to Ray not knowing jack about computers, and just assuming that that's the only browser around because that's what came with his computer.

I'm sure that Beef rocks the Firefox.
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: CortJstr on January 21, 2005, 01:56:34 pm
Or wrote his own a la Jason Fox.

But anyway, this strip contains 300% RDA of Awesome. I mean just look at the drawing of Beef.
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: andalucia on January 21, 2005, 02:00:48 pm
best allusion ever.

God this strip makes me happy.  And I barely even remember the 80's.
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: V-Adore on January 21, 2005, 02:20:32 pm
The phrase "Lloyd Dobler-style" alone is just classic as hell.

This is all.
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on January 21, 2005, 02:30:58 pm
Good to see Beef's car again as well.
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: Emergent_C on January 21, 2005, 03:13:54 pm
Though this is the single greatest act of love a cartoon cat has ever committed, one has to ask...how the hell will Molly see the job listings if she's in a mop closet?
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: southworth813 on January 21, 2005, 03:33:35 pm
Where I come from, that is known as "nitpicking", and is frowned upon.
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on January 21, 2005, 03:38:54 pm
Quote from: "southworth813"
Where I come from, that is known as "nitpicking", and is frowned upon.


Or if you're going to do this, do it Jough-style.

Quote from: "imaginary jough stereotype"
Molly can't see the laptop because she's in the mop closet. Maybe if Onstad were actually putting effort into his work rather than problem drinking, shilling every doodle he makes and beating up hardworking immigrants, he'd realize that.


 :wink:
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: St_Zartan on January 21, 2005, 03:44:25 pm
Bobby Isosceles is an E-ticket ride.
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: AugustWest on January 21, 2005, 03:53:16 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Bobby Isosceles is an E-ticket ride.


Seconded.  And so are you, Ace.  So are you.
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: wombat on January 21, 2005, 04:25:36 pm
Writing here from the Totally Out Of It department, I had no idea who Lloyd Dobler was, but thank god for the internet, plot summaries, and pictures of the covers of DVDs, I now almost know what the hell is the point of this.  

I also see that there is a local band here called The Lloyd Dobler Effect, some of whose members are from Silver Spring, where I live.

Carry on.
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on January 21, 2005, 04:30:32 pm
Quote from: "wombat"

I also see that there is a local band here called The Lloyd Dobler Effect, some of whose members are from Silver Spring, where I live.

Carry on.


Silver Spring, MD?
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: wombat on January 21, 2005, 05:17:25 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "wombat"

I also see that there is a local band here called The Lloyd Dobler Effect, some of whose members are from Silver Spring, where I live.

Carry on.


Silver Spring, MD?


Yes.  You should know this!  You mean you refused to come and meet me and the rest of the DC Ache-con, and you don't even remember doing so?  Now I feel doubly rejected and unloved.
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on January 21, 2005, 05:20:05 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "wombat"

I also see that there is a local band here called The Lloyd Dobler Effect, some of whose members are from Silver Spring, where I live.

Carry on.


Silver Spring, MD?


Yes.  You should know this!  You mean you refused to come and meet me and the rest of the DC Ache-con, and you don't even remember doing so?  Now I feel doubly rejected and unloved.


I don't even remember my own name half the time. I'll make the claim I was out of the country. But that means there are three or so people in NoVA, one in SS and I believe a recently delurked Baltimoron..
Title: Ache-con?
Post by: Huge Uncut Asian Jerkboy on January 21, 2005, 05:28:45 pm
What is this "ache-con" of which you speak?
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: CortJstr on January 21, 2005, 05:38:31 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
I don't even remember my own name half the time. I'll make the claim I was out of the country. But that means there are three or so people in NoVA, one in SS and I believe a recently delurked Baltimoron..

As for regulars I'm in Arlington, Carlos in in Alexandria I think, and I'm pretty sure Gimpson's location used to say DC. Golfhaus just says VA but I think he's farther south.
Title: Re: Ache-con?
Post by: wombat on January 21, 2005, 05:58:04 pm
Quote from: "Huge Uncut Asian Jerkboy"
What is this "ache-con" of which you speak?


Search the old threads.  Isn't there a rule that newbies can't register without passing a test on the content of all the old threads going all the way back to the beginning of time?  Who's in charge here?
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: Gimpson on January 21, 2005, 06:00:37 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I'm pretty sure Gimpson's location used to say DC.


No, I'm near Kansas City.
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: CortJstr on January 21, 2005, 06:08:42 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I'm pretty sure Gimpson's location used to say DC.

No, I'm near Kansas City.

Well nevermind then. I thought I remembered a poster whose location was somewhere DC-ish but recently changed to something wackier. Maybe it was Superock or something.
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: jough on January 21, 2005, 06:38:59 pm
You mean Turbo Ninja?

And I was going to post comments but I think I'll just like Bobby Iso post them for me from now on, since he's so balls-on accurate...

Man, this will make me smile all weekend - my only nit-pick is that Beef would never use IE, but this has been addressed already.

Maybe Onstad thought that people wouldn't know what the fuck Firefox is.

Or maybe Onstad himself uses IE.
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: CortJstr on January 21, 2005, 06:46:38 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Man, this will make me smile all weekend - my only nit-pick is that Beef would never use IE, but this has been addressed already.

Maybe Onstad thought that people wouldn't know what the fuck Firefox is.

Or maybe Onstad himself uses IE.

I'd say that it's because Ray uses IE. Since he's the speaker and we learned that he didn't know the difference between e-mail and the internet I find it unlikely Ray uses an alternative browser.
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: Turbo Ninja on January 21, 2005, 06:59:41 pm
My card table's legs are firmly planted in Columbus, Ohio.  I have family in Alexandria and McLean (or however you spell it) but I live at the intersection of Interstates 70 and 71.
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: Bozack on January 21, 2005, 07:12:02 pm
Lloyd Dobler. COOL.
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: Huge Uncut Asian Jerkboy on January 21, 2005, 07:57:15 pm
Is there something wrong with me that I didn't really like Say Anything? What am I missing about it that makes it so revered? (for the record I was pretty let-down by Blade Runner when I saw it, but everyone says BR is SOOO great so I think the problem might be me)
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: miles on January 21, 2005, 08:04:22 pm
Quote from: "Huge Uncut Asian Jerkboy"
Is there something wrong with me that I didn't really like Say Anything? What am I missing about it that makes it so revered? (for the record I was pretty let-down by Blade Runner when I saw it, but everyone says BR is SOOO great so I think the problem might be me)


Not liking Blade Runner may be a problem, but I also was not too impressed by Say Anything.  It was OK, but I'll never watch it again unless someone else puts it in and I have nothing better to do.
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: St_Zartan on January 21, 2005, 09:29:36 pm
I'm culturally literate enough to get references to it, but yeah, I've never seen Say Anything, either. I do want to - I really do like John Cusack - but not enough to, say, buy it, or go out of my way to rent it. I've always mentally lumped it in with Better Off Dead and One Crazy Summer, even though it's apparently not a comedy.
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: ndpatel on January 21, 2005, 10:54:42 pm
it is amazing how thoroughly terrible better off dead is whe you watch it after several years.

say anything, though, may well be the pinnacle of the cusack teen movie career.
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: Gimpson on January 21, 2005, 10:56:45 pm
Quote from: "ndpatel"
it is amazing how thoroughly terrible better off dead is whe you watch it after several years.

say anything, though, may well be the pinnacle of the cusack teen movie career.


Having never seen Say Anything, I can't evaulate the validity of your second statement.  

Your first, however, is blasphemy.
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on January 22, 2005, 12:14:37 am
Quote from: "jough"

Or maybe Onstad himself uses IE.


Dude. Saying Onstad beats his wife is  in all good fun, but accusing someone of using IE is just low.
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: Huge Uncut Asian Jerkboy on January 22, 2005, 12:37:25 am
Quote from: "Gimpson"
Quote from: "ndpatel"
it is amazing how thoroughly terrible better off dead is whe you watch it after several years.

say anything, though, may well be the pinnacle of the cusack teen movie career.


Having never seen Say Anything, I can't evaulate the validity of your second statement.  

Your first, however, is blasphemy.


No, I agree. Better Off Dead isn't that great either. I think a lot of the love for these movies stems from wisps of nostalgia, liking them when you were hell of younger and not seeing them for awhile, or you know, malleable emotions. In most of those movies, though Mr. Cusack is a good enough actor, his character are irritating at best, wimpsters at worst.
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: Choop on January 22, 2005, 01:44:39 am
That Vlad's supplementary question 'Is Mormon?' has gone unappreciated so far is the worst offense our board has committed to this strip.

Why's Beef takin' off so upset? Is he Mormon?

Not that he could be personally offended for normal reasons, but that he's a zealot of that specific flavor. Yes, Vlad. He's Mormon. No, it wasn't anything you said or did. He's Mormon. Fuck off.

(It may not seem like it, but this is the reason I heart Vlad.)
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: CortJstr on January 22, 2005, 01:58:30 am
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
That Vlad's supplementary question 'Is Mormon?' has gone unappreciated so far is the worst offense our board has committed to this strip.

Dammit people, he's right. We should be ashamed of ourselves.
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: Golfhaus on January 22, 2005, 02:31:58 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
As for regulars I'm in Arlington, Carlos in in Alexandria I think, and I'm pretty sure Gimpson's location used to say DC. Golfhaus just says VA but I think he's farther south.


Yeah, I'm in Newport News. I make my way up to DC a bit, though, and if there were ever a gathering, I would make an attempt to show up.

Am I the only one who's a little nervous about Roast Beef running off to "save" Molly? Like he's going to get there and she's totally going to be sharing a foot-long teriyaki chicken with some dude? Or in some other way having the attempt fall flat? Roast Beef-Molly drama does seem to keep people's interest around here.
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: EgoSumNoah on January 22, 2005, 05:06:37 am
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "wombat"

I also see that there is a local band here called The Lloyd Dobler Effect, some of whose members are from Silver Spring, where I live.

Carry on.


Silver Spring, MD?


I, like every one else, went to Blair High School in Silver Spring.

Also, I use IE, and I like it.

And the point of that reference isn't Say Anything, that movie was unremarkable, but the scene is all kinds of archetypal, and you have to admit that that was by far the sexiest shot of Beef we've ever gotten, though sexier still would be the image of Beef attending to his wives, a frame that obviously got cut from the comic for what, PC issues?  Molly's protection?

Good to see that Onstad is the shit.  Those web comic visitors go a long way to piss a fella off.
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: Lane on January 22, 2005, 04:26:39 pm
Quote from: "ndpatel"
it is amazing how thoroughly terrible better off dead is whe you watch it after several years.


This is true.  It has an entire music video sequence of Claymation hamburgers.  That is never a good idea.  And I say this as a Lane, which is Cusack's character's name in the movie.  So, you know, I'm supposed to love that movie.

Also, the board member in question who moved from DC to someplace wacky could have been me, I moved from there to Fairbanks, AK, but I never got to meet Nabubrush, so eventually I moved back to DC (Logan Circle).  But I'm pretty sure that you didn't mean me, since no one really knows who I am here (long-time lurker, occasional poster, etc.).
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: CortJstr on January 22, 2005, 04:31:20 pm
Quote from: "Lane"
Also, the board member in question who moved from DC to someplace wacky could have been me, I moved from there to Fairbanks, AK, but I never got to meet Nabubrush, so eventually I moved back to DC (Logan Circle).  But I'm pretty sure that you didn't mean me, since no one really knows who I am here (long-time lurker, occasional poster, etc.).

Enjoy the snow. Lousy weekend non-work closing tease that it is.
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: St_Zartan on January 22, 2005, 04:54:06 pm
Quote from: "Lane"
Quote from: "ndpatel"
it is amazing how thoroughly terrible better off dead is whe you watch it after several years.


This is true.  It has an entire music video sequence of Claymation hamburgers.  That is never a good idea.  And I say this as a Lane, which is Cusack's character's name in the movie.  So, you know, I'm supposed to love that movie.


You people, if you can't find a place in your hearts for Charles DeMar (the perennially underappreciated Curtis Armstrong) and a dessert (you like raisins) that crawls off of the plate, I just don't know if there's really a place for you here in the Spanish pool cabana of my heart.

Oh, yeah - and those Japanese dudes.
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: jough on January 22, 2005, 06:09:13 pm
Better Off Dead may be a little dated and 80s-centric today, but isn't that part of its charm?  I bought the DVD and it has lost nothing for me.  Sure, it's no cinematic masterpiece, but it holds up a lot better than most teen films from the 80s (John Hughes films notwithstanding).
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: jough on January 22, 2005, 06:09:52 pm
Oh, and Say Anything is one of the best romantic comedies of all fuck*ng time, infidels.
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: miles on January 22, 2005, 06:12:15 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Better Off Dead may be a little dated and 80s-centric today, but isn't that part of its charm?  I bought the DVD and it has lost nothing for me.  Sure, it's no cinematic masterpiece, but it holds up a lot better than most teen films from the 80s (John Hughes films notwithstanding).


What was its appeal back then?  I do still like it though.
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: miles on January 22, 2005, 06:13:03 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Oh, and Say Anything is one of the best romantic comedies of all fuck*ng time, infidels.


Then I guess its a genre I just don't like too much.  Unless you count some of Woody Allen's movies.
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: jough on January 22, 2005, 06:32:50 pm
Philistine.
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: beetle on January 23, 2005, 07:23:11 am
This strip has me noticing larger parallels between the Beef/Molly romance and Say Anything.  The vibe of the nerdy outsiders in love;  him being the more popular one and folding her into his group of friends;  her realizing that she hasn't really formed any personal connections before.

I think I'm really rooting for Beef and Molly with a feeling very close to the one I felt on the airplane at the end of Say Anything.
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: Choop on January 23, 2005, 08:13:34 am
Quote from: "beetle"
...a feeling very close to the one I felt on the airplane at the end of Say Anything.


BZZT
MINUS CRED
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: jough on January 23, 2005, 10:08:33 am
What?  The two lovebirds were totally on an airplane at the end of that film.

Indeed, Choop, I believe it is YOU who lose cred here.
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: Bozack on January 23, 2005, 03:16:37 pm
Oooooh, REVERSAL!
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: V-Adore on January 23, 2005, 05:37:55 pm
I assumed that the cred-losing was because of... ahem... "failing to warn of spoiler."

FIVE YARD PENALTY
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: CortJstr on January 23, 2005, 08:14:18 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I assumed that the cred-losing was because of... ahem... "failing to warn of spoiler."

FIVE YARD PENALTY

I didn't think spoiler warnings applied to movies that came out 15 years ago. Or did we jump topics when I wasn't looking?
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on January 23, 2005, 08:35:20 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I assumed that the cred-losing was because of... ahem... "failing to warn of spoiler."

FIVE YARD PENALTY

I didn't think spoiler warnings applied to movies that came out 15 years ago. Or did we jump topics when I wasn't looking?


When I am done making a homunculus out of my phlegm I propose a D.C. area AcheCon with a viewing of Say Anything so we can all be on the same page.

p.s. I could really use a lung brother right now

p.s. playing the part of Jough will be a NAND gate
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: EgoSumNoah on January 23, 2005, 09:25:45 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
p.s. playing the part of Jough will be a NAND gate


I can't help but think that that's some comp sci reference that I should be getting.  But what the hell does a NAND do?
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: acoxcae on January 23, 2005, 11:58:16 pm
Basically, it boils down to:

Anything that two other people agree to, Jough will say the opposite.  Using enough circuitry, he can negate practically thousands of accordant inputs!

Or, I can provide a truth table if need be.  

Yes, I'm a nerd.

acoxcae
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on January 24, 2005, 12:03:24 am
Quote from: "acoxcae"
Basically, it boils down to:

Anything that two other people agree to, Jough will say the opposite.  Using enough circuitry, he can negate practically thousands of accordant inputs!

Or, I can provide a truth table if need be.  

Yes, I'm a nerd.

acoxcae


We're into education now.

Education.




--
And that French Waiter... Jean-Luc!
Title: education
Post by: EgoSumNoah on January 24, 2005, 01:37:25 am
so its just a Not-And or a ~^ or whatev

Truth Table...

a  b  a NAND b
F  F        T
F  T        T
T  F        T
T  T        F

(eductation... I can see it now...)
Title: Re: education
Post by: miles on January 24, 2005, 04:35:30 am
Quote from: "EgoSumNoah"
so its just a Not-And or a ~^ or whatev

Truth Table...

a  b  a NAND b
F  F        T
F  T        T
T  F        T
T  T        F

(eductation... I can see it now...)


Jesus.  Truth tables.  Do I miss logic?  No.
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: St_Zartan on January 24, 2005, 05:24:14 am
Quote from: "acoxcae"
Or, I can provide a truth table if need be.


I thought those were what they set up down at the Homeschoolers' Career Day.
Title: Re: education
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 24, 2005, 07:33:33 am
Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "EgoSumNoah"
so its just a Not-And or a ~^ or whatev

Truth Table...

a  b  a NAND b
F  F        T
F  T        T
T  F        T
T  T        F

(eductation... I can see it now...)


Jesus.  Truth tables.  Do I miss logic?  No.


All I remember from my logic classes is this crazy thing called recuctio ad absurdum. It seemed to allow you to prove anything you want by first claiming the opposite.

This is why I didn't change majors to philosophy.
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 24, 2005, 03:48:37 pm
Going back to the "who's in the DC area" bit, Carlos recently moved from Alexandria to Centreville.  Still in NoVa, but I'm now closer to Leesburg than the District, which I find sort of upsetting.
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on January 24, 2005, 04:04:40 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Going back to the "who's in the DC area" bit, Carlos recently moved from Alexandria to Centreville.  Still in NoVa, but I'm now closer to Leesburg than the District, which I find sort of upsetting.


And I'm in Tyson's. What's the full list then?
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: pmcd9 on February 09, 2005, 03:54:26 am
Quote from: "jough"
Oh, and Say Anything is one of the best romantic comedies of all fuck*ng time, infidels.


When this subject came up I was still in exile, but I netflix'd this film and I just finished watching it.  I don't know how this one got by me.  It's a Cameron Crowe!!!  Had I known it was a Cameron Crowe movie I would have watched it long ago.  I love Cameron Crowe, he's not made a single movie yet that I didn't enjoy immensley.  Great movie!!!

~Paul
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: jough on February 09, 2005, 04:08:48 am
It's good to have you back, Paul.
Title: 1-21-05: Lloyd Dobler-style
Post by: slink on February 09, 2005, 06:32:21 am
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "jough"
Oh, and Say Anything is one of the best romantic comedies of all fuck*ng time, infidels.


When this subject came up I was still in exile, but I netflix'd this film and I just finished watching it.  I don't know how this one got by me.  It's a Cameron Crowe!!!

~Paul


I haven't seen it. But will now. I will also watch all those Cameron Crowe movies I've been meaning to watch. First Wes Anderson, now Cameron Crowe (though I cannot find Bottle Rocket). That is all.