The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: AugustWest on January 23, 2005, 08:00:39 pm

Title: RIP Johnny
Post by: AugustWest on January 23, 2005, 08:00:39 pm
Johnny Carson is dead at 79 from emphysema.  Johnny was a little old-school for my tastes, but I always recognized what an astoundingly quick wit he had.  He was unflappable and always friendly and personable.  He was supposed to be friendly and genuine in person.  If nothing else, we owe him for starting and supporting the careers of numerous great standup comedians.

Thanks Johnny.
Title: RIP Johnny
Post by: St_Zartan on January 23, 2005, 08:11:38 pm
Damn.
Title: RIP Johnny
Post by: CortJstr on January 23, 2005, 08:12:59 pm
I already missed Carnac.
Title: RIP Johnny
Post by: jough on January 23, 2005, 09:03:04 pm
I guess he won't be writing any more of Letterman's monologue jokes.

A legend.
The King of Late Night
A Hell of a Great Guy

<tears open envelope>

What are three phrases you can attribute to Johnny Carson?
Title: RIP Johnny
Post by: jough on January 24, 2005, 02:45:24 am
Roger Ebert wrote a very nice piece on Carson today:

Ebert on Johnny Carson (http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050123/ESSAYS/401230304)

Now I'm going to return to miming a golf swing for the rest of the night.
Title: RIP Johnny
Post by: Golfhaus on January 24, 2005, 05:04:56 pm
Who hasn't stopped, if just for a moment, at some point in their lives, and said, "Man, I wish I could be like Johnny Carson?"
Title: RIP Johnny
Post by: side_show on January 24, 2005, 06:03:19 pm
Hey-ohh!
Title: RIP Johnny
Post by: miles on January 25, 2005, 12:03:23 am
Another tribute (http://slate.msn.com/id/2112604/) from a better film critic.  And Dick Cavett gives one on All Things Considered.
Title: RIP Johnny
Post by: jough on January 25, 2005, 01:03:20 am
Edelstein's a hack, but that was a nice tribute nonetheless.
Title: RIP Johnny
Post by: miles on January 25, 2005, 01:58:11 am
Quote from: "jough"
Edelstein's a hack, but that was a nice tribute nonetheless.


It was.  And I'll pretend that comment is just the grief talking.