The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: jough on January 24, 2005, 09:42:18 pm

Title: DOS Attack
Post by: jough on January 24, 2005, 09:42:18 pm
Hey kids,

Well, a new variant of the Santy Worm has been unleashed today, and while this board has been patched, the server bouncing bad requests, and my upstream provider stemming the tide, we're still getting a lot of bad requests coming through which ties up the web server.

I've set the timeout value very low, so if you get a refused connection to the board just wait 30 seconds and try to refresh.

If I can't get this under control myself I may have to remove the DNS entry for achewood.plagiarist.com until my provider can get new filters in place.  

So if the board is consistently down for a few hours tonight that'll be why.  It shouldn't take long to get this under control, and so far we've weathered a number of storms, but if this keeps up I'm going to have to switch the forums to another message board system other than phpBB.  It's a victim of its own success.