The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: V-Adore on January 28, 2005, 08:54:50 am

Title: The driftwood will remind him about eternity -- 28 Jan '05
Post by: V-Adore on January 28, 2005, 08:54:50 am
Full points for the "many tiny panels" format and also for the consolation gift. Ray is really a much nicer guy when he's just totally stoned off his ass.
Title: The driftwood will remind him about eternity -- 28 Jan '05
Post by: cellardoor on January 28, 2005, 11:19:47 am
C'mon, Ray always tries to be nice. I think i'm to go find me a piece of driftwood myself.
That is an awesome present.
Title: The driftwood will remind him about eternity -- 28 Jan '05
Post by: southworth813 on January 28, 2005, 12:37:34 pm
Quote
"Of course Teodor doesn't like sports. He listens to the Cure."


This statement is more lucid than any stoned cartoon cat has the right to make.

I like how Ray calls Teodor on his cell phone, when he's clearly only in the next room.

I don't like when real people do that, however.
Title: The driftwood will remind him about eternity -- 28 Jan '05
Post by: cellardoor on January 28, 2005, 01:00:46 pm
I regularly listen to "Disintegration" whilst on the rowing machine.
That is all.
Title: The driftwood will remind him about eternity -- 28 Jan '05
Post by: Steve Hogan on January 28, 2005, 01:29:35 pm
I can't imagine Robert Smith having a soccer ball bouncing off his head.  It would get all snarled like a blowgiraffe fighting a sea anemone.
Title: The driftwood will remind him about eternity -- 28 Jan '05
Post by: CortJstr on January 28, 2005, 02:14:59 pm
I'd like to know what Ray would've said if Teodor did like soccer
Title: The driftwood will remind him about eternity -- 28 Jan '05
Post by: Turbo Ninja on January 28, 2005, 02:20:44 pm
Coming Soon to the Achewood Shop: limited-edition pieces of driftwood with "The Cure" scrawled on them.

I would buy one because it would remind about eternity.

Is it possible Ray was smoking catnip rather than weed?  I've seen some cats get straight-up funky on the mean green kitty herb.
Title: The driftwood will remind him about eternity -- 28 Jan '05
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on January 28, 2005, 02:36:33 pm
Ray's intoxicated stream of consciousness reminds me of a drinking story that I must relate here.

We were toasting at a party, shot after shot after shot, and soon, we had run out of things to toast.

Host: What shall we toast to next:
Me: We should toast someone... who's can defeat ... who's more badass than HITLER!
Max, this English Guy: I know! MACGYVER!

We all pause momentarily.

All twenty people in the kitchen: ROAR! TO MACGYVER!
Title: The driftwood will remind him about eternity -- 28 Jan '05
Post by: cellardoor on January 28, 2005, 02:56:13 pm
Woah, does that mean you toasted Hitler?
Title: The driftwood will remind him about eternity -- 28 Jan '05
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on January 28, 2005, 03:54:05 pm
Quote from: "cellardoor"
Woah, does that mean you toasted Hitler?


No, we toasted Macgyver because he was so badass he could defeat Hitler. Single-handedly.
Title: The driftwood will remind him about eternity -- 28 Jan '05
Post by: cellardoor on January 28, 2005, 04:07:25 pm
With a potato and a rusted paperclip.
Title: The driftwood will remind him about eternity -- 28 Jan '05
Post by: jough on January 28, 2005, 04:12:07 pm
Mad props to a man who can make a bomb out of a stick of chewing gum and a toilet paper tube.

I like the "the cat is high and there are tiny panels many of which are repeated" thing, but if this continues until monday the tombstone for this joke's plot will be on me.
Title: The driftwood will remind him about eternity -- 28 Jan '05
Post by: V-Adore on January 28, 2005, 05:03:38 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Ray's intoxicated stream of consciousness reminds me of a drinking story that I must relate here.

We were toasting at a party, shot after shot after shot, and soon, we had run out of things to toast.

Host: What shall we toast to next:
Me: We should toast someone... who's can defeat ... who's more badass than HITLER!
Max, this English Guy: I know! MACGYVER!

We all pause momentarily.

All twenty people in the kitchen: ROAR! TO MACGYVER!

This reminds me very much of a seriously inebriated New Year's Eve party I attended where every pronouncement (most of which were toasts) was punctuated with "... and STEVE MCQUEEN!", always yelled. I guess Steve was the most badass guy that my drunken friends could think of at the moment.

(Other highlights of the party: a friend attempting to get drunk fo the first time and complaining that he'd had six Jello shots, why wasn't he feeling any different?! Never mind that the six Jello shots were spaced out over four hours or so of snacking...)
Title: The driftwood will remind him about eternity -- 28 Jan '05
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on January 28, 2005, 05:26:38 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Ray's intoxicated stream of consciousness reminds me of a drinking story that I must relate here.

We were toasting at a party, shot after shot after shot, and soon, we had run out of things to toast.

Host: What shall we toast to next:
Me: We should toast someone... who's can defeat ... who's more badass than HITLER!
Max, this English Guy: I know! MACGYVER!

We all pause momentarily.

All twenty people in the kitchen: ROAR! TO MACGYVER!

This reminds me very much of a seriously inebriated New Year's Eve party I attended where every pronouncement (most of which were toasts) was punctuated with "... and STEVE MCQUEEN!", always yelled. I guess Steve was the most badass guy that my drunken friends could think of at the moment.

(Other highlights of the party: a friend attempting to get drunk fo the first time and complaining that he'd had six Jello shots, why wasn't he feeling any different?! Never mind that the six Jello shots were spaced out over four hours or so of snacking...)


I wonder how Richard Dean Anderson would have fared in The Great Escape.

I am currently on a mission to find out who owns the rights to MacGyver. I want to propose to the suits the concept of a MacGyver remake, maybe in the vein of the Shaft remake, starring Alton Brown. Alton Brown as the next generation MacGyver is only the coolest thing on earth.
Title: The driftwood will remind him about eternity -- 28 Jan '05
Post by: miles on January 28, 2005, 05:33:25 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
This reminds me very much of a seriously inebriated New Year's Eve party I attended where every pronouncement (most of which were toasts) was punctuated with "... and STEVE MCQUEEN!", always yelled. I guess Steve was the most badass guy that my drunken friends could think of at the moment.


Steve McQueen is definitely one of the most badass guys of all time.  I'd have his babies any day.  Except that he's dead.  And I'm male.  And not gay.

I also like the tiny little panels, just hope it's not a change in format.

And I'll have everyone know I listen to the Cure and like sports.  I know, it's silly (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06262002).

Teodor is definitely pissed off in the second panel of the second row.  Or at least annoyed.  Notice how swiftly he turns around.

Also, it just occurred to me how silly it is to assume someone--an American, actually--doesn't like sports just because he doesn't like soccer.  Even though it is the second greatest sport in the world, it seems that most Americans don't realize this once they get past the age of 11.
Title: The driftwood will remind him about eternity -- 28 Jan '05
Post by: miles on January 28, 2005, 05:40:56 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
I wonder how Richard Dean Anderson would have fared in The Great Escape.

I am currently on a mission to find out who owns the rights to MacGyver. I want to propose to the suits the concept of a MacGyver remake, maybe in the vein of the Shaft remake, starring Alton Brown. Alton Brown as the next generation MacGyver is only the coolest thing on earth.


Ashamed to admit I had to imdb (doesn't work as well as a verb, does it?) Richard Dean Anderson.  I assumed from contextual evidence he was the original actor who portrayed MacGyver, but just wanted to make sure.  Did you know MacGyver's first name is Angus?  I'm assuming you do if you want to buy the rights.

I really went to imdb for Alton Brown.  So, do you mean Alton Brown (I) or Alton Brown (II)?  That is, Alton Brown of Alimony (1924) or Alton Brown of "Good Eats" (1999)?
Title: The driftwood will remind him about eternity -- 28 Jan '05
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on January 28, 2005, 05:45:43 pm
Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
I wonder how Richard Dean Anderson would have fared in The Great Escape.

I am currently on a mission to find out who owns the rights to MacGyver. I want to propose to the suits the concept of a MacGyver remake, maybe in the vein of the Shaft remake, starring Alton Brown. Alton Brown as the next generation MacGyver is only the coolest thing on earth.


Ashamed to admit I had to imdb (doesn't work as well as a verb, does it?) Richard Dean Anderson.  I assumed from contextual evidence he was the original actor who portrayed MacGyver, but just wanted to make sure.  Did you know MacGyver's first name is Angus?  I'm assuming you do if you want to buy the rights.

I really went to imdb for Alton Brown.  So, do you mean Alton Brown (I) or Alton Brown (II)?  That is, Alton Brown of Alimony (1924) or Alton Brown of "Good Eats" (1999)?


Good eats, of course.

And on the subject of Anguses, did you know there is an entire mythos behind Donald Duck's family?

Mythology behind Clan McDuck (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Clan_McDuck)

Quote from: "Wikipedia"
The Clan McDuck is a fictional family in the style of a Scottish clan, from which a great number of Walt Disney Company's comic book characters held their origin. According to the story Storia e gloria della dinastia dei paperi (History and glory of the Duck Dynasty) it was founded during the 1st century BC by Pah-Peh-Rheo an Egyptian, that had become a Roman citizen as Petronius Paperonius. Originally following a campaign of the Roman Army to Britain, he eventually decided to settle in Caledonia among the populations of the Picts. According to Don Rosa's timelines the Clan is known since 122, when an, as of yet, unnamed member of the clan sold stone to the construction crew of Hadrian's wall. The most famous members of the clan are Scrooge McDuck and Donald Duck.


Did you know:

* Scrooge died in 1967?
* Huey, Dewey and Louie's real names are Huebert, Deuteronomy, and Louis?
* The McDucks descend from the Ptolemies?

DONALD DUCK WILL REMIND YOU ABOUT ETERNITY. (http://duckman.pettho.com/tree/v_american.html)
Title: The driftwood will remind him about eternity -- 28 Jan '05
Post by: jough on January 28, 2005, 05:59:56 pm
Paramount holds the rights to MacGyver.

In fact, the first season came out on DVD this past Tuesday.

It has an MSRP of only $39.95, and you can find it at retail outlets for around $25.

That's quite a bargain for over 18 hours of television goodness.
Title: The driftwood will remind him about eternity -- 28 Jan '05
Post by: CortJstr on January 28, 2005, 07:02:05 pm
Where's wombat with her MWTA (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?p=17359#17359) when we need her?
Title: The driftwood will remind him about eternity -- 28 Jan '05
Post by: evan on January 28, 2005, 08:10:28 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I'd like to know what Ray would've said if Teodor did like soccer
"Maybe we could do a thing"
Title: The driftwood will remind him about eternity -- 28 Jan '05
Post by: Thak on January 28, 2005, 08:41:16 pm
These last two Achewood strips are awesome, the best ones for awhile.
Title: The driftwood will remind him about eternity -- 28 Jan '05
Post by: wombat on January 28, 2005, 09:10:19 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Where's wombat with her MWTA (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?p=17359#17359) when we need her?


Man, we've gotten so good at wandering lately I can't begin to keep up.
Title: The driftwood will remind him about eternity -- 28 Jan '05
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on January 28, 2005, 09:15:53 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Where's wombat with her MWTA (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?p=17359#17359) when we need her?


Man, we've gotten so good at wandering lately I can't begin to keep up.


Is this gonna be one of those things that gets locked, then unlocked, then locked, then unlocked four times because the thread itself is a force of nature?
Title: The driftwood will remind him about eternity -- 28 Jan '05
Post by: miles on January 29, 2005, 04:51:01 am
Quote from: "jough"
Paramount holds the rights to MacGyver.

In fact, the first season came out on DVD this past Tuesday.

It has an MSRP of only $39.95, and you can find it at retail outlets for around $25.

That's quite a bargain for over 18 hours of television goodness.


Just saw it at Costco today.  Also, the Back to the Future Trilogy was selling for $17.99.  Tempted, but might wait for the first to come out.  I don't like the other two.
Title: The driftwood will remind him about eternity -- 28 Jan '05
Post by: jough on January 29, 2005, 05:34:19 am
Miles - the Back to the Future trilogy came out three years ago on DVD and has had a price drop until the end of January when the set will be taken off the market until the 25th Anniversary in 2010.

If you want the first one it's worth picking up the set now, especially if you can get it for $18.
Title: The driftwood will remind him about eternity -- 28 Jan '05
Post by: miles on January 29, 2005, 06:28:52 am
Quote from: "jough"
Miles - the Back to the Future trilogy came out three years ago on DVD and has had a price drop until the end of January when the set will be taken off the market until the 25th Anniversary in 2010.

If you want the first one it's worth picking up the set now, especially if you can get it for $18.


Ooh, good to know.  Will pick it up tomorrow.  The only problem I had was that I couldn't find any information specifying whether it was full screen or widescreen, but for that price, and with that information, who cares?
Title: The driftwood will remind him about eternity -- 28 Jan '05
Post by: beetle on January 29, 2005, 07:04:32 am
Quote from: "Turbo Ninja"

Is it possible Ray was smoking catnip rather than weed?


According to Ray (in Ray's place, responding to a question from me---wheee!), the answer would appear to be no, since

Quote from: "Ray"

Catnip is sort of like Whip-Its, if you really must know.
Title: The driftwood will remind him about eternity -- 28 Jan '05
Post by: jough on January 29, 2005, 04:16:06 pm
Quote from: "miles"

Ooh, good to know.  Will pick it up tomorrow.  The only problem I had was that I couldn't find any information specifying whether it was full screen or widescreen, but for that price, and with that information, who cares?


The original version that came out three years ago had framing issues with the second and third films (too tightly cropped so you miss a lot of details that happen at the top and bottom of the screen).  The original sets had a red sticker on the front that was circular and also had either the word "FULLSCREEN" or "WIDESCREEN" on the bar code.

The new versions fix the framing issue and have a rounded square orange and white sticker on the front, and only says WIDESCREEN or FULLSCREEN on the bottom of that sticker, in small print.

So you want the one with the large orange sticker on the front, and I would say you'd want the widescreen version but I'm not one to judge.   Of course, the fullscreen (i.e. pan & scan, i.e. crop and chop) version has a framing issue too - it's just cropped on purpose.
Title: The driftwood will remind him about eternity -- 28 Jan '05
Post by: miles on January 31, 2005, 12:26:09 am
Quote from: "jough"
The original version that came out three years ago had framing issues with the second and third films (too tightly cropped so you miss a lot of details that happen at the top and bottom of the screen).  The original sets had a red sticker on the front that was circular and also had either the word "FULLSCREEN" or "WIDESCREEN" on the bar code.

The new versions fix the framing issue and have a rounded square orange and white sticker on the front, and only says WIDESCREEN or FULLSCREEN on the bottom of that sticker, in small print.

So you want the one with the large orange sticker on the front, and I would say you'd want the widescreen version but I'm not one to judge.   Of course, the fullscreen (i.e. pan & scan, i.e. crop and chop) version has a framing issue too - it's just cropped on purpose.


I read somewhere about the framing issues.  The set I bought had no such sticker, but the discs say anamorphic widescreen.  Hopefully it's the newer version.  Will it be easy to tell when I watch them?  I do prefer widescreen to fullscreen.
Title: The driftwood will remind him about eternity -- 28 Jan '05
Post by: jough on January 31, 2005, 12:51:28 am
The newer discs have a "V2" after the copyright notice.

If they're not the newer version, you can get the second and third film replaced for free.

I'll try to dig up a link for you.

EDIT:
Home Theater Forum Thread on How to Exchange Your BTTF DVDs (http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=140414)