The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: Va on January 29, 2005, 12:35:51 am

Title: I had my baby Tuesday morning.
Post by: Va on January 29, 2005, 12:35:51 am
Read about it if you like. (http://www.posdef.net/node/view/128)
Title: I had my baby Tuesday morning.
Post by: AugustWest on January 29, 2005, 01:31:02 am
Many, many congratulations!  Welcome to the wonderful world of parenthood!

Kiss your old, grownup life goodbye for the next 18 years or so.  Enjoy, it goes by very quickly.
Title: I had my baby Tuesday morning.
Post by: Ben-San on January 29, 2005, 03:18:20 am
Gratz on successfully generating a micro-humanoid.
Title: I had my baby Tuesday morning.
Post by: Choop on January 29, 2005, 04:08:21 am
The sincerest of congratulations, Va.

I know I haven't posted much since you joined (compared to myself beforehand, and compared to anyone thereafter), but I wish you to know that you are a wonderful member of our tribe and I wish you only the best. It's wonderful to know that the birth went so well. May she be a joyful child who brings you warmth and happiness.


Happy birthday, Lydia!
Title: I had my baby Tuesday morning.
Post by: Limmo on January 29, 2005, 04:44:17 am
Nice work.  Congratulations!
Title: I had my baby Tuesday morning.
Post by: jough on January 29, 2005, 05:37:36 am
Congrats.  Now you just gotta keep her off the pole, and your job is done.

And is it just me, or did you have that baby like, a lot faster than you should have?  What's it been, five months?
Title: I had my baby Tuesday morning.
Post by: St_Zartan on January 29, 2005, 05:41:20 am
"I turned around carefully and sat on the edge of the bed and held my daughter in my arms for the first time. She promptly pooped on me."

So Chris was right - myconium is swell. Congratulations. (Oh, and don't blame me, I voted for Lydia.)
Title: I had my baby Tuesday morning.
Post by: V-Adore on January 29, 2005, 05:52:06 am
Best wishes to you and yours. May Lydia bring you joy (well, more joy than irritation, at least).
Title: I had my baby Tuesday morning.
Post by: arkabee on January 29, 2005, 03:40:03 pm
conrats, good luck, and enjoy.

and, on an unrelated note, i think i will have a happy life if i never see the words "I started losing my mucous plug " again.
Title: I had my baby Tuesday morning.
Post by: slink on January 29, 2005, 05:29:50 pm
Indeed, congratulations and so forth.
May she bring you joy, and be quiet just when you need her to!
Title: I had my baby Tuesday morning.
Post by: andalucia on January 29, 2005, 06:54:53 pm
Many congratulations, Va.
Title: I had my baby Tuesday morning.
Post by: Bozack on January 30, 2005, 03:38:12 am
congrats!
Title: I had my baby Tuesday morning.
Post by: jay-ell on January 31, 2005, 07:06:14 pm
That is extremely awesome.  I had initially wanted a home birth, but Pedro and I decided (well, he sort of insisted) that for my first one, we should go with a hospital.  Probably a good decision, given all the complications I've had anyway.  I'm so glad you were able to "live the dream."  It sounds like everything went just wonderfully for you.  

Congratulations, and God bless your family!
Title: I had my baby Tuesday morning.
Post by: pmcd9 on February 02, 2005, 05:55:10 pm
I read the thread title as "I had my baby at Tuesday Morning."

Congratulations Va.

~Paul
Title: I had my baby Tuesday morning.
Post by: Pedro Picasso on February 03, 2005, 10:57:23 pm
Congratulations!  How wonderful!  I love your description.  Jamie has a book of birth stories, but yours is a better description than any I've read thus far.  Congratulations again.  Hurray!
Title: I had my baby Tuesday morning.
Post by: Nabubrush on February 23, 2005, 02:41:01 am
Also, congratulations to you, Va!
Title: I had my baby Tuesday morning.
Post by: Va on March 02, 2005, 11:11:18 pm
Thanks everyone.  There's a few more pictures up (http://www.posdef.net/image/tid/44) if anyone wants to see.
Title: I had my baby Tuesday morning.
Post by: Bozack on March 03, 2005, 02:14:03 am
Well, that proves it. Babies are ADORABLE.
Title: I had my baby Tuesday morning.
Post by: jough on March 03, 2005, 05:50:12 am
Also, I had never seen a photo of Va before.  However, I have not seen Mr. Va, so I have really no idea whether the baby looks like you or not.

I have the unfortunate features in such that all babies look like me.  So it's nothing but blood tests for me...
Title: I had my baby Tuesday morning.
Post by: side_show on March 03, 2005, 02:25:10 pm
Way to go Va!  Hooray!  

And now to get back to the hard drinking and smokin'!
Title: I had my baby Tuesday morning.
Post by: AugustWest on March 03, 2005, 02:46:10 pm
Achewood fans sure do make some hairy babies!

Cute, but hairy.
Title: I had my baby Tuesday morning.
Post by: Pedro Picasso on March 04, 2005, 06:30:59 am
Va, your daughter is absolutely astounding.  JL and I are so proud of little Pearson's hair, and there you have this exotic looking little girl with a positive maneful.  Really incredibly cute.  Long fingers and a beautiful face.  You must be very proud.  All the best to you and your family.  I hope she's not driving you too crazy or anything?  I've heard six weeks is about as bad as they can get for screaming until they're teenagers.  We're just trying to get Pearce to sleep between feedings at night without needing to be held the whole time.
Title: I had my baby Tuesday morning.
Post by: pmcd9 on March 04, 2005, 01:20:49 pm
Lydia is beautiful, and wow, what a shock of hair, but she's obscuring our view of your boobies.

~Paul
Title: I had my baby Tuesday morning.
Post by: Va on March 04, 2005, 07:29:34 pm
Thanks everyone for your kind words.  We're still amazed by her  hair, also.  It's now almost long enough to get in her eyes.

Pedro, good luck with that.  We've taken the easy way our--Lydia sleeps with us. I barely have to wake up at night to nurse her. She's been "sleeping through the night" since birth. Sometimes she's fussy at bedtime and I have to walk her around for a while to help her go to sleep, but we've never had a fussy meltdown in the middle of the night. I also leave her diaperless at night, just with a pad of cloth diapers under her.  It's a lot faster and easier to slip dry diapers under her bum than to strap them to her, which she hates under the best circumstances.  We're also experimenting with going diaperless during the day.  Lydia loves it.

Also, Lydia poops in the toilet!  We're trying something called Natural Infant Hygeine (http://www.natural-wisdom.com/), and so far it's pretty fuck*ng cool.

Also, is it possible that The Spine is the best TMBG album ever?
Title: I had my baby Tuesday morning.
Post by: V-Adore on March 04, 2005, 07:41:44 pm
Quote from: "Va"
Also, is it possible that The Spine is the best TMBG album ever?

To get briefly off-topic: yes.

To return to topic: No! might be nicer for a baby. It's an album I wish my folks had had while I was a wee one. I think I would have listened to "Where Do They Make Balloons?" until my mother actively broke the CD 'accidentally.'
Title: I had my baby Tuesday morning.
Post by: CortJstr on March 04, 2005, 07:49:36 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "Va"
Also, is it possible that The Spine is the best TMBG album ever?

To get briefly off-topic: yes.

To return to topic: No! might be nicer for a baby. It's an album I wish my folks had had while I was a wee one. I think I would have listened to "Where Do They Make Balloons?" until my mother actively broke the CD 'accidentally.'

To get less briefly off-topic: I'm always disappointed when they play songs from No! at live shows. And thank you V, for getting Violin stuck in my head.

Besides, the best kids album would have to include the rock version of Why Does the Sun Shine somehow.
Title: I had my baby Tuesday morning.
Post by: Bozack on March 05, 2005, 10:42:30 pm
When and if I have lil ones, I'm raising them to be rednecks on this (http://www.bloodshotrecords.com/album/bloodshotrecordscompilations/131).
Oh, and I actually have a bootleg of a Neko Case/Kelly Hogan/John Rauhouse kids show they did in Seattle if you want it. They do "Seņor Don Gato," "Rubber Ducky" and a buncha other cute ones. PM me, if needed.
Title: I had my baby Tuesday morning.
Post by: jay-ell on March 07, 2005, 07:12:44 pm
Quote from: "Va"

Also, Lydia poops in the toilet!  We're trying something called Natural Infant Hygeine (http://www.natural-wisdom.com/), and so far it's pretty fuck*ng cool.


Wow, that Natural Infant Hygeine website is wiggity whack.  I have to admit, I don't have the fortitude to try it.  I was actively pooped on four times in Pearce's first six days of life, and I can tell you without a shred of doubt that he has not even considered signalling me when he has to go.  I feel like I'm pretty in tune with the boy, but most of the time poops seem to catch us all by surprise, usually while I'm changing his already poopy diaper.  We are, however, using cloth diapers at least 90% of the time; we use disposeables when we know we're going to be away from the house for an extended period and won't have enough space in the diaper bag to pack out the soiled clothies.  

We've also started co-sleeping, more out of necessity than any philisophical predisposition.  We had decided against co-sleeping because Pedro experinces what sleep therapists call confusional arousals, which is far less sexy than it sounds.  Basically, it's similar to sleepwalking but involves more hallucination and, often, actual night terrors.  So we were worried about bringing our baby in bed because the problem tends to get worse when Pedro is stressed or sleep deprived.  We've had a few incidents but nothing dangerous or scary -- mostly Pedro thinks he's holding the baby when he's really cradling his pillow.  So Pearce sleeps on my side of the bed mostly, and it seems to work out.  Unfortunately, we don't sleep as soundly with him in the bed, so last night my Mom came over to hold him while we slept, and he went six hours without waking up to eat.  :woohoo:

Anyway, good luck with the natural hygeine thing.  Let me know how that goes.  I have a friend who might be interested; I'll share the website with her.
Title: I had my baby Tuesday morning.
Post by: slink on March 07, 2005, 08:34:51 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"

 I feel like I'm pretty in tune with the boy, but most of the time poops seem to catch us all by surprise, usually while I'm changing his already poopy diaper.


Plus it makes me think of the Family Guy where they discuss whether to toilet train Stewie early or not...
Title: I had my baby Tuesday morning.
Post by: Va on March 07, 2005, 09:05:00 pm
Hang in there JL, it was a while before I was able to pick up on Lydia's signals--we started out just using timing, that is, we would take her to poop at times when we guessed she probably needed to, such as right after she woke up from a nap.  She still doesn't tell me when she's going to pee.
Title: I had my baby Tuesday morning.
Post by: Pedro Picasso on March 07, 2005, 09:51:43 pm
Quote from: "Va"
She still doesn't tell me when she's going to pee.


This is a bit more of a problem with a boy.  Especially one as talented as mine.  Pee for this kid isn't so much about timing as it is distance
Title: I had my baby Tuesday morning.
Post by: Bozack on March 08, 2005, 12:55:00 am
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
This is a bit more of a problem with a boy.  Especially one as talented as mine.  Pee for this kid isn't so much about timing as it is distance


Hey, man, be proud. That kid is gonna be TOPS in impressing other guys in the bathroom in middle school. All back against the wall, 6 foot stream of urine arcing gracefully into a urinal bowl.
Title: I had my baby Tuesday morning.
Post by: CortJstr on March 08, 2005, 12:58:17 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
This is a bit more of a problem with a boy.  Especially one as talented as mine.  Pee for this kid isn't so much about timing as it is distance

Hey, man, be proud. That kid is gonna be TOPS in impressing other guys in the bathroom in middle school. All back against the wall, 6 foot stream of urine arcing gracefully into a urinal bowl.

You and I went to very different middle schools.
Title: I had my baby Tuesday morning.
Post by: Pedro Picasso on March 08, 2005, 03:32:55 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
This is a bit more of a problem with a boy.  Especially one as talented as mine.  Pee for this kid isn't so much about timing as it is distance

Hey, man, be proud. That kid is gonna be TOPS in impressing other guys in the bathroom in middle school. All back against the wall, 6 foot stream of urine arcing gracefully into a urinal bowl.

You and I went to very different middle schools.


And yet, the Boze could pee into a urinal in your middle school from his middle school.  aMAZing!
Title: I had my baby Tuesday morning.
Post by: side_show on March 09, 2005, 02:39:45 pm
First off, JL and Pedro those pictures of Pearce are beautiful, I actually felt a little misty looking at that one of Pedro gazing down at the boy...

Va, I have to say the Natural Infant Hygeine idea sounds really interesting.  It's something I've never once heard of.  Is it really uncommon?  Have you known other parents who've tried it successfully?  If it works, I think it's practically a revolutionary idea.  Honestly though, I imagine the getting peed/pooped on ratio is far higher for parents who try this out, but then I have a pretty low gross out factor especially when it comes to body functions - which is something one would basically have to get over right away with a baby!
Title: I had my baby Tuesday morning.
Post by: Va on March 12, 2005, 11:01:00 pm
Actually, Natural Infant Hygeine is the norm in most of the world--diapering is a relatively recent invention, mostly used only in Western societies.