The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: MattFish on February 01, 2005, 06:34:55 am
-
Subject is my favorite part of the comic, the fullstops putting an awkward kind of pause in there that I found intriguing.
Why am I always up around the time these get posted?
PS: Squeeeeak
-
L@@K INTO YOUR PAST, RAY
OBVIOUSLY SOME ESES PUT SOME ANGEL DUST IN YOUR WEED, HOLMES
-
Ker-PLUNK. That's the sound of the joke hitting the pavement like a lead elephant.
I am intrigued by the continuing tiny windows, though.
-
I laughed at "L@@K INTO YOUR PAST." But it was only a chortle.
The format is really very nice, though. Also, I'm confused by what the bottom of the strip is supposed to represent -- Ray writing his name on the film of your mind, perhaps?
-
Lawnmowers do smell good. Too bad I don't have one. Tomorrow, my goal is to smell a lawnmower.
-
I laughed at "L@@K INTO YOUR PAST." But it was only a chortle.
The format is really very nice, though. Also, I'm confused by what the bottom of the strip is supposed to represent -- Ray writing his name on the film of your mind, perhaps?
The "L@@K INTO YOUR PAST" was a nice touch. It's what everyone mentions when making fun of eBay, but with a nice spin.
I was also confused by the big bottom panel. I couldn't even come up with that much. Also, when he is spreading his arms and squeaking, shouldn't the grid he's up against be erased? Unless, that is, we can't see the part of the grid he's in contact with...you know...down there...
-
maybe you guys aren't high enough, but this is FRIGGIN GENIUS!
ebay will tell you the value and whatever happened to all the fun in the world?
-
Also, when he is spreading his arms and squeaking, shouldn't the grid he's up against be erased?
he could be behind the grid...
-
Ker-PLUNK. That's the sound of the joke hitting the pavement like a lead elephant.
I am intrigued by the continuing tiny windows, though.
Agreed. The cat is high for an implausible amount of time. We may be whimsical, but it is tempered by sensibility.
SENSIBLE WHIMSY.
-
Maybe Ray is doing more hits off camera. Either that or he's smoking God's Own Pot.
-
The format is really very nice, though. Also, I'm confused by what the bottom of the strip is supposed to represent -- Ray writing his name on the film of your mind, perhaps?
He's breaking the 4th wall, writing directly on the back of your monitor.
-
I have a lawn mower. You are welcome to come over and smell it.
-
The format is really very nice, though. Also, I'm confused by what the bottom of the strip is supposed to represent -- Ray writing his name on the film of your mind, perhaps?
He's breaking the 4th wall, writing directly on the back of your monitor.
Wrong comic, but I just read this one yesterday, so it's a perfect fit.
http://www.qwantz.com/20030910.html
-
Ker-PLUNK. That's the sound of the joke hitting the pavement like a lead elephant.
I am intrigued by the continuing tiny windows, though.
I agree with Jough's opinion basically 100%, which makes me sad and scared.
-
I very strongly disagree. I don't know why y'all aren't into this thing.
He's only been high for three strips and they really are classic: Pans, driftwood, 45 degree angles and smelling things that are metal.
I don't expect it will go beyond today, but these are delicious strips.
Ray's writing his name on your monitor like kids do in the dirt on your car to say "wash me".
I like that the clock only goes to three o'clock and then time ceases to exist. These strips really are great I mean Ray is doing things that he finds so profound and mind-blowing but they are just odd. "Camping is the ultimate expression of habitation." "What?"... seriously that's gold!
Achewood is the ultimate expression of a cat getting high and blowing my mind.
-
I have a lawn mower. You are welcome to come over and smell it.
Awesome. But I don't know where Banana Town is.
-
I very strongly disagree. I don't know why y'all aren't into this thing.
Don't get me wrong, I love it when Chris experiments with Achewood. "Philippe Kidnapped" and "Ray in Hell" were, as far as I remember, completely different from what I'd come to expect from the strip. During those story arcs (but not just those, to be fair), I could not wait for the next installment.
These strips are OK, because Chris still - well, no shit - has a sense of what is funny, especially when playing w/ language. But they're more collections of hit-or-miss funny bits (e.g. "L@@K", "Ed's Pans", "Instead."), stuff that was too good to leave in the sketchbook but not strong enough to hold up a whole strip.
-
I very strongly disagree. I don't know why y'all aren't into this thing.
He's only been high for three strips and they really are classic: Pans, driftwood, 45 degree angles and smelling things that are metal.
I don't expect it will go beyond today, but these are delicious strips.
The comedy Rule of Three doesn't apply when there's a weekend and a random taking off of a Monday for whatever reason interpolated in there somewhere.
Q. Knock knock
A. Who's there?
We return Wednesday
Q. Orange.
A. Orange who?
PM Update Thursday
-
Maybe that's what it is. Maybe the joke seems far more played-out than it is because of the weekend and then the day off on Monday - so really we've been looking at these for a whole week now.
-
Like I've said before: when read in the archives, the timing of these strips works out fine. Each one by itself, when taken alone after 24-72 hours of intense jonesing and browser-refreshing, will not cause your dad to have hit you less in the past.
Leak Less Bile/Have More Style in '05
-
Like I've said before: when read in the archives, the timing of these strips works out fine. Each one by itself, when taken alone after 24-72 hours of intense jonesing and browser-refreshing, will not cause your dad to have hit you less in the past.
Leak Less Bile/Have More Style in '05
So what you are trying to tell us is that marijuana distorts the sense of time?
-
No what I am saying is you have way too many dorky buttons under your idea-messages. This isn't the fuck*ng Air Force, Tommy Toroid.
-
No what I am saying is you have way too many dorky buttons under your idea-messages. This isn't the fuck*ng Air Force, Tommy Toroid.
Sounds like someone's got a case of the Mondays! (We return Tuesday.)
-
Goodbye for now Achewood fanatics who think they bring humor game
-
No what I am saying is you have way too many dorky buttons under your idea-messages. This isn't the fuck*ng Air Force, Tommy Toroid.
I would just like to note that I have no idea what any of that means. At all. Could someone enlighten me? Please? Otherwise I may have a fit of pique and lock this all Onstad-style.
-
I would just like to note that I have no idea what any of that means. At all. Could someone enlighten me? Please?
I believe he's referring to Bobby's collection of buttons for various means of contact via IM, etc. While most of us have three to five, he's got approximately thirty-six.
My question for Chris, and I promise I'm not trying to be smarmy, is this: when creating Achewood, do you tend to think of it in the terms of someone reading the archive, or in terms of those who read it first thing in the morning every day?
-
I just try to hang ten on that vodka curl, man.
-
Goodbye for now Achewood fanatics who think they bring humor game
I'd like to remind everyone that this is an exhibition, not a competition. So please, no wagering.
-
No what I am saying is you have way too many dorky buttons under your idea-messages. This isn't the fuck*ng Air Force, Tommy Toroid.
I would just like to note that I have no idea what any of that means. At all. Could someone enlighten me? Please? Otherwise I may have a fit of pique and lock this all Onstad-style.
Under each message are the buttons for "profile, pm, AIM, ICQ" etc etc. But the board only displays usable buttons. For example, I don't have ICQ so no ICQ button appears under my posts. Bobby has every button possible under his posts indicating he has every messenger client, has provided his e-mail address, and a homepage.
Onstad is comparing this row of buttons to the grid of ribbons on some big general-type guy's chest such as you see in movies.
[edit: I didn't notice this thread had already hit a 2nd page, or that golfhaus had already answered your question. I lose at the internet.]
-
No what I am saying is you have way too many dorky buttons under your idea-messages. This isn't the fuck*ng Air Force, Tommy Toroid.
I would just like to note that I have no idea what any of that means. At all. Could someone enlighten me? Please? Otherwise I may have a fit of pique and lock this all Onstad-style.
"profile" "pm" "aim" "icq" etc.
-
No what I am saying is you have way too many dorky buttons under your idea-messages. This isn't the fuck*ng Air Force, Tommy Toroid.
I would just like to note that I have no idea what any of that means. At all. Could someone enlighten me? Please? Otherwise I may have a fit of pique and lock this all Onstad-style.
Under each message are the buttons for "profile, pm, AIM, ICQ" etc etc. But the board only displays usable buttons. For example, I don't have ICQ so no ICQ button appears under my posts. Bobby has every button possible under his posts indicating he has every messenger client, has provided his e-mail address, and a homepage.
Onstad is comparing this row of buttons to the grid of ribbons on some big general-type guy's chest such as you see in movies.
[edit: I didn't notice this thread had already hit a 2nd page, or that golfhaus had already answered your question. I lose at the internet.]
yeah, fuck gaim and its accessibility, d00dz.
ok people so here's the deal: it's timed right if i buy a book and it's not funny when i have to wait several days between punchlines. THIS IS A VERY SENSIBLE OPINION TO HAVE.
-
Ah! I am enlightened. Also, full points to the 'stad for "Tommy Toroid."
-
Ah! I am enlightened. Also, full points to the 'stad for "Tommy Toroid."
Something about "Tommy Toroid" rings hollow with me.
EDIT: Something about "Tommy Toroid" rings hollow with me.
-
"Tommy Toroid," to me, sounds like the mascot from a 1950's educational film about topographical geometry or some such. Twee and sort of over-the-top good-for-you. "Bobby Isosceles," on the other hand, sounds like a mob name from an excessively geeky mob cell, which I can respect.
EDIT: In the off event that it wasn't clear to all of you, Bobby is a nerd sex god. This is all.
-
Ah! I am enlightened. Also, full points to the 'stad for "Tommy Toroid."
Something about "Tommy Toroid" rings hollow with me.
EDIT: Something about "Tommy Toroid" rings hollow with me.
Ha ha. I get it. I'm kind of sorry that I do, but there it is...
-
Question for Chris:
Not that I expect to receive a serious answer or even any at all. But ask I must.
Obviously you are hurt by criticism of your work. The vast majority of the reaction on this board is highly laudatory if not fawning. Rarely someone has a slightly negative opinion, usually along the lines of that particular strip not being up to your usual high standard. With very few exceptions (OK, one notable in particular...) this is the worst we dish out. If and when you react your response is highly vitriolic. Clearly on some level it gets under your skin.
I can't say that I blame you or that I'd react any differently.
Why do you come here if it irks you so?
Don't misunderstand -- we're glad you're here. I'm asking out of sincere curiousity, because in your shoes I don't think I'd expose myself to the aggravation. Your contempt for us isn't even thinly veiled. Why do you care what we have to say?
-
No what I am saying is you have way too many dorky buttons under your idea-messages. This isn't the fuck*ng Air Force, Tommy Toroid.
Sounds like someone's got a case of the Mondays! (We return Tuesday.)
I thought it was funny. I think we hit a nerve, eh?
-
Why do you come here if it irks you so?
Don't misunderstand -- we're glad you're here. I'm asking out of sincere curiousity, because in your shoes I don't think I'd expose myself to the aggravation. Your contempt for us isn't even thinly veiled. Why do you care what we have to say?
August's question seconded in its entirety. I can understand why you'd be irritated, but why do you continue to read and post if we irritate you so? Really, it's fine. If this makes you uncomfortable, we don't require your presence. Please do what's best for your mental health.
-
I get to make fun of Remus Rhombus just like everyone else, and you know he digs it and he completely smiles and is tickled. Don't chalk it up to my emotional problems. That is inaccurate.
-
I'm asking out of sincere curiousity, because in your shoes I don't think I'd expose myself to the aggravation. Your contempt for us isn't even thinly veiled.
I don't think it's contempt, although, honestly, with all the "OMG Ray is high!!! POT IS HILARIOUS W/O QUALIFICATION (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?p=33393#33393)" comments lately, it's probably pretty fuck*ng tempting. Chris seems like a decent individual who, on occasion, feels like dishing it out as well as he takes it - which, around here, is admittedly in no small portion. I mean we had a whole thread (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?t=1349&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=) which was basically devoted to the pro-con as re Jough's repeated and nearly legally admissible slander.
Bobby's knock-knock post was funny, really fuck*ng funny. The "this isn't the fuck*ng Air Force" retort was also funny. You can see how, for me, reading funny things might come off as a Positive. This is why we make little kids shake hands at the end of T-ball games.
-
This thread locked because of a problem.
-
This thread temporarily unlocked because I was busy earning money and didn't have time to read it until now.
Watching Chris and Bobby go at it is like watching Erkel fight Monroe from "Too Close for Comfort" - neither is doing much damage and the girly slapping is just embarrassing to watch from the sidelines.
-
Admit it -- the more applications via which you enable people to get in touch with you, the louder the cry for help.
I am counting the seconds until V-dore freaks out and locks this thread because I showed up.
-
I get to make fun of Remus Rhombus just like everyone else,
no, seriously, dude, i love you.
that is all.
-
I get to make fun of Remus Rhombus just like everyone else, and you know he digs it and he completely smiles and is tickled. Don't chalk it up to my emotional problems. That is inaccurate.
Seconded. I would have a beer with this man even though I do not find the timing of the web version of the comic funny. Maybe after the beer he would show me the print version and I would find the timing hilarious. Then I would try to grope him and later will blame the inebriation.
-
This thread temporarily unlocked because I was busy earning money and didn't have time to read it until now.
Watching Chris and Bobby go at it is like watching Erkel fight Monroe from "Too Close for Comfort" - neither is doing much damage and the girly slapping is just embarrassing to watch from the sidelines.
Holy crap if that isn't a reference I haven't heard in ... ever. What the hell happened to that guy? Is he still on Hollywood Squares?
-
Watching Chris and Bobby go at it is like watching Erkel fight Monroe from "Too Close for Comfort" - neither is doing much damage and the girly slapping is just embarrassing to watch from the sidelines.
This insult brought to you (http://www.lorebrandcomics.com/thankyou.html) by the Committe to Make People Go, "hey, I remember that!"
-
I love you all extremely hard today. Please carry on at great length if possible. Thank you.
-
I love you all extremely hard today. Please carry on at great length if possible. Thank you.
Artificially extending our vitriol over a period of several days is just as unfunny as a thirty second print joke imposed on a 96 hour web publishing schedule. Learn, wombat, learn.
We're into education now.
Education.
-
I get to make fun of Remus Rhombus just like everyone else, and you know he digs it and he completely smiles and is tickled. Don't chalk it up to my emotional problems. That is inaccurate.
Absolutely agreed. That wasn't my point at all and I wasn't suggesting that you have any sort of emotional problem. I'm really not trying to be disingenuous or snarky at all here. I'm genuinely curious. Only rarely do I have the general public (or anyone, for that matter) commenting on the quality of my work. I don't know how I'd react if there was a message board available where I could read anonymous pokes at what I put out. It wasn't meant as a dig at you.
Please continue making fun of Generic Dimunitive Boys Name + Geometric Figure.
-
Remus Rhombus. That is all that needs to be said.
-
Well, hell, when there are more embarrassing nicknames for Bobby on the line, how can I keep a thread locked? Lay on, gentlemen.
(For the record, for a brief instance there I thought it would be funny to lock this slap-fighting in an arbitrary and capricious "I AM BORED OF THIS THREAD" fashion just on the 'retro Dumbrella shout-out' level. Clearly I stand corrected, and also stand "V-dore," which is an insult so sublime I cannot distinguish it from a typo.)
-
Well, hell, when there are more embarrassing nicknames for Bobby on the line, how can I keep a thread locked? Lay on, gentlemen.
(For the record, for a brief instance there I thought it would be funny to lock this slap-fighting in an arbitrary and capricious "I AM BORED OF THIS THREAD" fashion just on the 'retro Dumbrella shout-out' level. Clearly I stand corrected, and also stand "V-dore," which is an insult so sublime I cannot distinguish it from a typo.)
JOHNNY LAVAPLATOS, PEOPLE.
EDIT by V: Ivan Icosahedron borked his quote tags. I fixed it.
-
Bobby I admire how you just keep on swinging. After the way you got punked out by Onstad most would have slinked away in shame. But I gotta ask, is there no apt Scandinavian video to match this scenario?
~Paul
-
Bobby I admire how you just keep on swinging. After the way you got punked out by Onstad most would have slinked away in shame. But I gotta ask, is there no apt Scandinavian video to match this scenario?
~Paul
To sum up my crushed, defeated mood, i present:
Don't Let the World Catch You Crying (http://cabal.port80.se/massproduktion/confusions/media/confusions-dltwcyc.rm)
and as a bonus:
Music to Clean Meconium To (http://www.bobbyisosceles.com/songs/bedsrburning.mp3)
-
This entire "wow isn't this taking a long time" discussion has struck me as completely ridiculous from the beginning. Would there have been this much to-do when the first party we saw in Achewood lasted for almost a month? (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03122002) Comics are an infinitely de/compressible medium, people. I'm not going to read your McCloud for you. Damn.
R I S O T T O
-
This entire "wow isn't this taking a long time" discussion has struck me as completely ridiculous from the beginning. Would there have been this much to-do when the first party we saw in Achewood lasted for almost a month? (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03122002) Comics are an infinitely de/compressible medium, people. I'm not going to read your McCloud for you. Damn.
R I S O T T O
The party shifted characters and had an evolution. Ray is high and stupid on day one! Ray is high and stupid on day two! Ray is high and stupid on day three! It's a repetition that one associates with a good one-two-three punch of comedy: so much that it's called the Law of Threes in some circles, most of which I haven't made up. Yet the one-two-three punch has less effect with 24 hours between posting. Manfred Meconium is correct in pointing out that it will be very funny in an anthology with a 0.5 second delay between page turns.
-
I was really only being nice when saying that it'll play better in the archives. It doesn't play any better when read as a one-two-three shot. The first one is okay, and then two and three rely on the "get it? get it?" formula of comedy that elbows you in the ribs after its told its joke like a drunken uncle.
-
I was really only being nice
Impossible!
when saying that it'll play better in the archives. It doesn't play any better when read as a one-two-three shot. The first one is okay, and then two and three rely on the "get it? get it?" formula of comedy that elbows you in the ribs after its told its joke like a drunken uncle.
Case in point.
-
humour can't be looked in a formula. Sure, you can make up rules and they will work a lot of the time but there are exceptions to every rule.
Ray being high left some creative freedom, there was no need to develop plot or character and there was the freedom to work with the most developed character in all of achewood and experiment. For the most part the humour works it's not *badum chh* it's something a little bit more bizarre but altogether very real. I'm not going to say you have get high to get it. But I can understand it being a stuggle to find the humour for a person without frame of reference.
Everyone in achewood has a character and you are limited to that. We could have a whole series of philippe getting into awkward messes because he just doesn't understand how the world works or Lyle upsetting people with his drunkenss. With Ray you are less limited because he is willing to try anything and so can you. What better way to free yourself as a creator than by freeing your character... Freeing his mind. Now you can experiment with that idea of many tiny panels. Or him writing his name in the grid.
Creativity is like a rubber ball. No matter how bouncy it is there are some surfaces on which it will fall flat.
-
Clearly I stand corrected, and also stand "V-dore," which is an insult so sublime I cannot distinguish it from a typo.
You know what's really, really nerdy?
The fact that all that made me think of was V-Ger from the first Star Trek movie.
Which made it seem way more insulting.