The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: V-Adore on February 01, 2005, 05:50:01 pm

Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: V-Adore on February 01, 2005, 05:50:01 pm
Because I figure the "what are you reading?" thread needs its musical accompaniment.

I've personally been listening to Belly's Star for about a week now. I found it at a used bookstore and bought it on the strength of a half-remembered radio single, "Feed the Tree" -- and I have no regrets, because this album is basically like treasure. Severely beautiful, strange music. Oh yes.

I also recently came into copies of Pressure Chief, Around the Sun, and American Idiot, but I haven't listened to any of them yet. Maybe tonight.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: St_Zartan on February 01, 2005, 06:05:59 pm
Star is a wonderful album, and I wish, like so many other albums / bands, that I'd come across it sooner. King is pretty darned good, too - I haven't listened to it as much, though, and I can't really identify any "standout" tracks. Typically grand 4AD artwork (http://quimby.gnus.org/4ad-pics/Belly.King.CAD5004CD.jpg), though.

Right now, I can't stop listening to Sittin' Pretty by the Pastels, especially the first half, which is pretty much a solidly built wall of catchy, upbeat enjoyment. I (relatively) recently got my hands on the Black Spring and For Love EPs by Lush, and those delicious b-sides are also getting hella play; something else that is basically like treasure is finding new songs from a defunct band.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: jay-ell on February 01, 2005, 06:10:09 pm
I've been listening to a lot of Beethoven's Wig. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000060OLA/002-8130706-5892810?v=glance')  By proxy, of course -- I've been playing it to the baby via giant headphones on my belly.  

For those of you with young kids, I highly recommend it.  Far less irritating than a lot of stuff out there.  We got our copy off iTunes after hearing a spot on NPR about it.  

Short of the actual, real, classical music I've been playing for Pearce/Pierce, I've also been playing him a CD called "Latin Lullabies," which consists of a dozen traditional South American folk songs (some of which Pedro's mother used to sing to him as a kid), and the complete works of John Williams.  

We do what we can.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: slink on February 01, 2005, 06:19:59 pm
I've been listening to a fair amount of Ojos de Brujo and Macaco. I also keep putting on the Bowie tracks from Life Aquatic that Seu Jorge does in Portugese on the acoustic. They are fantastic.

Just discovered this guy RJD2 through my bro, who is pretty damn cool. DJ Shadow like turntablism. Also this guy Aesop Rock who is damned cool.

Oh, and I started listening to loads of TMGE again after watching Casshern and hearing Back Horn loads.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Gimpson on February 01, 2005, 06:41:15 pm
I've been listening to too much mc chris (http://www.mcchris.com) lately.  I think I have a problem, and I need to seek help.  

On the upside, he will be coming to Kansas in March or so.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Skillator on February 01, 2005, 08:01:21 pm
I got free tickets to a beatles tribute band from work and so went full out Beatles obsessed for the last month or so. The tribute band was wicked amazing (rain perhaps you've heard of them). I realise that I have nearly OD'd on Beatles and I'm mixing it up now so as not to spoil a good thing. Yesterday I rocked out to the Who. Brian Wilson's Smile is one of my most current purchases, really quite scrumptious. I've also been playing some Air to soothe my lonely soul and I've got this awesome classic rock mini-disc I threw together of 300 minutes of great songs, perfect for those long walks around town.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Limmo on February 01, 2005, 08:08:00 pm
My iPod, on "Shuffle Songs".  I've only got 2797 songs on it so far, though.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: CortJstr on February 01, 2005, 08:34:52 pm
I got 4 Built to Spill albums for giftmas so I've been listening to them a lot by default. And the SO has been on a Weakerthans kick so I hear them whenever we take her car.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 01, 2005, 08:35:28 pm
I haven't bought anything new for a while, and have been pushing through my back catalog.  The Sheila Divine's Parade is a great freakin' record.  As is Swervedriver's 99th Dream.

I really want to get the Legends' Up Against the Legends, but haven't felt like dealing with Amazon et. al. to get it.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: AugustWest on February 01, 2005, 08:36:20 pm
A Short History of World War II by James Stokesbury.  Interesting.  Most of my prior WWII reading has been pure military history.  Thus far, this book has focus more on diplomatic and political history after WWI and before 1939.  But I'm just on the second tape.

Just finished Patrick O'Brian's The Surgeon's Mate.  Excellent, as are all the rest of the Aubrey/Maturin books.  Also, the narrator, Patrick Tull is simply amazing.

On tap is Ringworld's Children.  I liked Ringworld and Ringworld Engineers a whole lot.  Some Niven is a little dry for my tastes, so we'll see how this one goes.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: keef on February 01, 2005, 08:49:11 pm
I can't stop listening to the new Geto Boys album, The Foundation.

Also, the new Camper Van Beethoven album, New Roman Times.

And various Trojan Records box sets-- calypso, club reggae, chill out reggae, rastafari.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: linnea on February 01, 2005, 09:48:54 pm
My Morning Jacket has this wicked-awesome EP called "Acoustic Citsouca! Live At The Startime Pavilion" (http://pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/m/my-morning-jacket/acoustic-citsuoca.shtml) that I have been listening to on repeat forever.  The review from Pitchfork is actually pretty good, imho.
 
Also, after seeing a recent Austin City Limits (http://www.pbs.org/klru/austin/) that showcased both Ozomatli (http://www.ozomatli.com/) and The Polyphonic Spree (http://www.thepolyphonicspree.com/), I dug out my old Ozomatli albums and bought 2 albums by the Spree. I have always loved Ozomatli, and now the Spree and MMJ are my two favorite new bands.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Gimpson on February 01, 2005, 09:53:34 pm
You must see the Polyphonic Spree live sometime.  I saw them in Chicago last year, and that was the most enjoyable concert I've been to in a long time.  Hopefully they'll make it up to Alaska if they tour this year.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: jough on February 01, 2005, 10:02:57 pm
I recently downloaded about 10Gb of new songs, so I'm listening to about half of them after wiping my iPod clean when I realised that half of the albums that I loaded on it at first don't really need to be on my iPod.  Why did I copy over EVERY Beach Boys album when I really only listen to a few dozen songs from them?

Today I have been shuffling, but usually I'll play entire albums.  I've really been enjoying old albums that I'm newly discovering, like:

The Flaming Lips "The Soft Bulletin", "Clouds Taste Metallic", and "Yoshimi Battles the Pink *#*#*s"

Television "Marquee Moon"

Wilco "Hotel Yankee Foxtrot" (it's growing on me slowly, although I'm still largely unimpressed)

The Thorns "The Thorns"

U2 "Zooropa" (for some reason I never really listened to it when it came out, even though I had a promo copy since before it was released)

Buddy Holly & The Crickets "Definitive Collection" (catching up on the BH that I don't know)

Weezer "Blue", "Green", "Pinkerton", "Maladroit"

Kevin Spacey "Beyond the Sea Soundtrack" (the man can sing)

Billy Ocean "Ultimate Collection" (great stuff)

Bjork "Post", "Gling-Glo"

They Might Be Giants "Lincoln" (I came in when "Flood" was first released, but I still think "John Henry" is their best album)

Miles Davis "Porgy & Bess"
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: AugustWest on February 01, 2005, 10:17:46 pm
Quote from: "linnea"
My Morning Jacket has this wicked-awesome EP called "Acoustic Citsouca! Live At The Startime Pavilion" (http://pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/m/my-morning-jacket/acoustic-citsuoca.shtml) that I have been listening to on repeat forever.  The review from Pitchfork is actually pretty good, imho.
 


I saw them open for Bob Dylan last summer.  They're local (Louisville) boys.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Mr Trout on February 02, 2005, 02:47:07 am
I just found this great band Starlight Mints. I'm gonna go ahead and steal a phrase from AMG and call them Dreamy Pop.

Very quirky lyrics, with cool strings mixed into solid if plain guitair. Very catchy songs though, and it all makes for a pretty consistant album. I wish I had some space to upload a song or two to cause I've been dying to share them with someone. I highly reccomend going into a local music store that has one of those nice listening stations and asking to demo the CD.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: miles on February 02, 2005, 03:08:11 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I got 4 Built to Spill albums for giftmas so I've been listening to them a lot by default.


Which ones?  Four of the best albums of all time, no doubt.

Quote from: "slink"
Just discovered this guy RJD2 through my bro, who is pretty damn cool. DJ Shadow like turntablism. Also this guy Aesop Rock who is damned cool.


Which albums have you been listening to?  I have Deadringer by RJD2 and Labor Days by Aesop Rock.  Both are good, though I rarely listen to them anymore.  Daylight by AR is amazing though.  Second track on that album.  I've yet to hear the new RJD2.

And Jough, how is "Gling-Glo"?  I see it all the time, but haven't heard it.  Is it anything at all like any of her other stuff?

I've been listening to Van Lear Rose by Loretta Lynn and the Superwolf by Matt Sweeney and Bonnie "Prince" Billy.  In addition to Madvillain and the Mekons.  And Funkadelic.[/quote]
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: CortJstr on February 02, 2005, 04:04:19 am
Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I got 4 Built to Spill albums for giftmas so I've been listening to them a lot by default.

Which ones?  Four of the best albums of all time, no doubt.

Live, Normal Years, Perfect, and Ancient Melodies. I already had Nothing Wrong and Secret (this being my favorite by far).

I've also gone on a bit of a Laughing Colors kick since they're breaking up this month. And I just downloaded The Soviettes LPII but haven't listened to it yet, but I imagine it'll get some play this week.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: miles on February 02, 2005, 05:16:18 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I got 4 Built to Spill albums for giftmas so I've been listening to them a lot by default.

Which ones?  Four of the best albums of all time, no doubt.

Live, Normal Years, Perfect, and Ancient Melodies. I already had Nothing Wrong and Secret (this being my favorite by far).


Should probably also get Ultimate Alternative Wavers.  I don't know how easy it is to get anymore, but it's very good.  Any BtS fans should also check out the Halo Benders and the Treepeople.  Doug Martsch has a decent solo album as well.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: jough on February 02, 2005, 08:35:50 am
Quote from: "miles"

And Jough, how is "Gling-Glo"?  I see it all the time, but haven't heard it.  Is it anything at all like any of her other stuff?


No.  It's kind of a loungy-jazzy thing - very cool, but quite unlike all of Bjork's other material.

I have included a song from it in my latest mix disc, so PM me with your address if you want a copy.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: linnea on February 02, 2005, 05:20:10 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"
You must see the Polyphonic Spree live sometime.  I saw them in Chicago last year, and that was the most enjoyable concert I've been to in a long time.  Hopefully they'll make it up to Alaska if they tour this year.

Quote from: "AugustWest"

I saw (My Morning Jacket) open for Bob Dylan last summer. They're local (Louisville) boys.


Oh man, I would love to see the Polyphonic Spree live. After getting all giddy and happy from seeing them play on Austin City Limits, it would just be phenomenal to see them live.  However, their tour dates appear to be currently only in places like LA and New York. Even if they did come to Alaska, I live in a rural bush community -- the plane ticket for me to come to Anchorage would be about nine hundred dollars.

And AugustWest, how was MMJ in concert? Pretty rad?
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: miles on February 02, 2005, 05:41:25 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I saw them open for Bob Dylan last summer.  They're local (Louisville) boys.


How was Bob Dylan?  I haven't seen him in several years.

Sadly, he's performing in Seattle (at the Paramount, where I first saw him in '95) for three days, right before I get home for a visit.  And in Portland, the same night I arrive in Seattle.  And then in Las Vegas, which is none too far from where I live now, but right before I get back.  So unless I go to LA, a long drive and an expensive trip (and harder to justify since I'm not seeing anyone out there anymore), I won't get to see him this time, again.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: pmcd9 on February 02, 2005, 06:14:45 pm
I'm basically all A Ghost is Born all the time right now.  Muzzle of Bees, Hummingbird, and Handshake drugs are heaven.  I'm in heaven when I listen to it.

~Paul
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: AugustWest on February 02, 2005, 06:15:26 pm
Great.  The only other time I saw him was in '81 and this show compared well to that one.  It was in the parking lot of Jillian's.  Fun show.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: CortJstr on February 02, 2005, 06:36:18 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
I'm basically all A Ghost is Born all the time right now.

You heard they're re-releasing it, right? Doesn't that piss you off?
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: jough on February 02, 2005, 07:03:01 pm
Re-releasing?  What do you mean?  Was it supposed to be limited time only or something?
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 02, 2005, 07:04:51 pm
Quote from: "Wilco's web site"
Wilco and Nonesuch will be re-releasing A Ghost in Born in Europe with a 5-track bonus disc in conjunction with the band's March tour. For those of you who already own a copy of the CD, It will also be available as an "enhanced content" free download. Meaning you'll be able to access the download only with the CD in your computer drive.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: jough on February 02, 2005, 07:05:59 pm
Well, at least they're making the extra content available to people who already purchased the CD.  That is mighty white of them.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: slink on February 03, 2005, 11:14:50 am
Quote from: "jough"
Well, at least they're making the extra content available to people who already purchased the CD.  That is mighty white of them.


Yea. This never worked on the two previous CD's I bought that offered it though. Both Foo Fighter's last album, and System of a Down's both offered this. Neither would find the CD in either drive however.
Not that I cared that much as you can still track things down elsewhere anyway.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: starlight on February 04, 2005, 03:53:28 am
Basically I've been listening to this mix I made (http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar/409424.html) practically nonstop.  o' course, this is mostly since I injured myself and to not give myself a workout by walking over to my cd case, I just kept it in the discman all week.

Of course, going by that, I've also listened a good deal to the Namelessnumberheadman album 'Your Voice Repeating', manyfingers - s/t and the new Hood / Hood single 'The Lost You' a nice amount as well since those were the last things I got :D

This week or next, I should get some new stuff in the mail.  a friend is sending me a few albums from '04 I didn't get around to (I asked for Espers, Esmerine and a Mt. Eerie Live in Japan disc... not entirely sure if anything else'll be in there, but we shall see!) in exchange for some I sent him... plus, I ordered a few from amazon:
Jeff Parker - Relatives
Archer Prewitt - Wilderness
The Dears - No Cities Left
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: V-Adore on February 04, 2005, 05:14:10 am
Finally put "Pressure Chief" in the ol' CD drive two days ago. It hasn't been out yet. I'm not sure if it's quite as good as "Comfort Eagle," but sweet Christmas is this a good album.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Gimpson on February 04, 2005, 02:10:53 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Finally put "Pressure Chief" in the ol' CD drive two days ago. It hasn't been out yet. I'm not sure if it's quite as good as "Comfort Eagle," but sweet Christmas is this a good album.


I'm not a huge fan of the first two songs, so after a few listens it went on the shelf for a while.  When it came back off I listened to everything but those, and it stayed at work for quite some time.  I particularly love "Dime" and "End of the Movie".  

I just remembered that John McCrea was on Fresh Air yesterday  (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4482730) and I forgot to listen.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: CortJstr on February 04, 2005, 02:26:24 pm
Cake has the amazing ability to grow on me. Every CD of theirs I buy I find initially disappointing, good as an occaisional change of pace, strangely infectious, and finally totally rockin'. I thought it was just me but the SO describes similar feelings.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: V-Adore on February 04, 2005, 06:12:17 pm
"Dime" is fantastic, as is "End of the Movie." (Am I misremembering, or did Slink use a "Dime" lyric as his sig for a while? The one about being determined not to be dented.) I think the winner of the album for me, though, might be "Carbon Monoxide," if only for the rhythm and the yelled part about how one's lungs will be SO FUCKED UP.

I should really just make a Cake Super-Mix already.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: slink on February 04, 2005, 06:18:17 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
"Dime" is fantastic, as is "End of the Movie." (Am I misremembering, or did Slink use a "Dime" lyric as his sig for a while? The one about being determined not to be dented.)


That I did. Did I change it?
I guess I'll see when I post this.

My brother went to see Cake last night over in Glasgow. Reckoned it was one of the best gigs he's ever been to. They didn't play much from Pressure Chief, like, one track I think, but then it doesn't quite fit live with the rest of their stuff.
I'm not talking to him now.

Oh yes... So I did.
I am determined, not to be dented by a car, by a plane, or by anything, not yet invented...
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: arkabee on February 05, 2005, 04:13:51 am
filter's shortbus.  forgot how excellent it is, even with the stupid answeringmachine/phone thing in it.

luna's penthouse.  damn i forgot how good that album is.  and i still hate that song at the end.

random songs from the internet.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: miles on February 05, 2005, 06:41:36 am
Quote from: "arkabee"
filter's shortbus.  forgot how excellent it is, even with the stupid answeringmachine/phone thing in it.


What is Filter?  I mean, I know Hey Man Nice Shot, and always thought that was enjoyable enough.  But then once I saw this video, and I thought the video and song were absolutely ridiculous.  And then the text on the bottom the screen told me it was Filter.  I was kinda surprised actually.  Is Shortbus a good starting point if I want to check them out?
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: arkabee on February 05, 2005, 03:20:33 pm
Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "arkabee"
filter's shortbus.  forgot how excellent it is, even with the stupid answeringmachine/phone thing in it.


What is Filter?  I mean, I know Hey Man Nice Shot, and always thought that was enjoyable enough.  But then once I saw this video, and I thought the video and song were absolutely ridiculous.  And then the text on the bottom the screen told me it was Filter.  I was kinda surprised actually.  Is Shortbus a good starting point if I want to check them out?


i would say yes.  song number one on that album is "hey man", so it would be a "safe" purchase.

a couple of their later stuff gets a little mushy.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: arlucasinc on February 14, 2005, 06:50:19 pm
Quote from: "slink"
I've been listening to a fair amount of Ojos de Brujo and Macaco. I also keep putting on the Bowie tracks from Life Aquatic that Seu Jorge does in Portugese on the acoustic. They are fantastic.


I really want to get this album. I loved those songs in the movie. On a somewhat similar note, I just got AtomTM's latest album, CMYK. Wow. Fantastic graphics, crazy noises, and five classic 80s covers played on the glockenspiel, Including Samantha Fox's "Touch Me" and Baltimora's "Tarzan Boy." Pure wonderful.

Quote from: "slink"
Just discovered this guy RJD2 through my bro, who is pretty damn cool. DJ Shadow like turntablism. Also this guy Aesop Rock who is damned cool.


Yeah, RJ's stuff is pretty good. I like Deadringer a lot better than Since We Last Spoke, but to be fair, I haven't listened to Since We Last Spoke all that much. I will have to do that again soon. Maybe later on this afternoon. For now I can't get this glockenspiel out of my ears.

For instrumental hip-hop-ish stuff, you may also want to check out Prefuse 73, if you haven't already.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Bozack on February 14, 2005, 11:17:45 pm
The Barbarella soundtrack is god, as is "Bombay the Hard Way: Guns, Cars and Sitars." I'm in a bizarre music mood right now. Also, the Barbarella soundtrack came with a fold-out poster of Jane Fonda.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: slink on February 15, 2005, 02:25:40 am
Leningrad, and the new Mars Volta album. Tre prog.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: arlucasinc on February 15, 2005, 06:15:14 am
Listening right now to AFX's Analord 12"s while I try to complete a test case that I was supposed to have done a few weeks ago.

If I don't have this thing done by tomorrow, I think I'm gonna be in deep doodoo. And I don't think that I'm going to be sleeping tonight. Bleagh. I suck.

But yeah, these AFX 12"s are awesome. I should be getting Vols. 03 and 04 in tomorrow's mail. Can't wait!
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: old kentucky shark on February 16, 2005, 03:43:48 am
My time is split twixt a combination of LCD Soundsystem and trying to determine whether I like LCD Soundsystem and a combination of the Buzzcocks and thinking about how much I love songs by the Buzzcocks
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: old kentucky shark on February 16, 2005, 03:45:08 am
Oh and also Javanese Gamelan music, because it is always a party.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Max on February 16, 2005, 04:29:27 am
word to the guy talking about RJD2 and Aesop Rock, just got into them myself.  also to the Wilco.

i've been pretty preoccupied with an album by this band the mountain goats called 'tallahassee'.  it's actually basically just one guy, who sounds appropriately goatish, with an acoustic guitar (though it should be noted that he says: 'i'm a guy with an acoustic guitar, but i'm not one of those guys with an acoustic guitar,' which i quite like).

also getting into the elliott smith back catalog and modest penis side-project ugly casanova.

p.s. word to 'marquee moon', as well.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: andalucia on February 16, 2005, 02:01:53 pm
Quote from: "Max"
i've been pretty preoccupied with an album by this band the mountain goats called 'tallahassee'.  it's actually basically just one guy, who sounds appropriately goatish, with an acoustic guitar (though it should be noted that he says: 'i'm a guy with an acoustic guitar, but i'm not one of those guys with an acoustic guitar,' which i quite like).


Man, I love the Mountain Goats.  Although, Tallahassee was his first album on 4AD (rather than being self-released, which I think all the previous ones were?) and the first album where he breaks out of the guy-with-guitar thing and has actual musicians'n'things... I kinda prefer the earlier handmade albums, especially "All Hail West Texas".  Looking forward to the new album in April, since it's been unusually long for him between Mountain Goats releases.  
Have you heard his side project, the Extra Glenns?  It's very, very similar, but with cheesier arrangements and more emo lyrics.  But endearing nevertheless.

Lately I've been listening to a lot of opera, since I have a class on classical music and one on Nietzsche and Wagner, in which we're currently studying Parsifal.  In my spare listeny time, mostly a lot of Miles Davis... I'm also pretty addicted to Joanna Newsom right now.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Bozack on February 16, 2005, 04:08:03 pm
God, "All Hail West Texas" is, in my mind, the perfect album.
An ex sent me a copy of the new Camper Van Beethoven as a Valentines Day present, so that's been added to my new (to me) CD rotation, along with the Moonlighters, the Barbarella and the Bombay the Hard Way.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: arlucasinc on February 16, 2005, 05:10:59 pm
"Cubs in Five" from Nine Black Poppies by The Mountain Goats is one of the best songs EVAR.

Yeah, the 4AD stuff is way more polished than the older stuff. The older stuff was more like guy with guitar records himself on crappy boombox.

In a somewhat similar vein, but with a different kind of sound is Casiotone for the Painfully Alone, who is a guy with a casio (let's hear it for presets!) who records himself on a crappy boombox (and sometimes answering machines).
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on February 16, 2005, 05:27:25 pm
John Zorn's Magick. Also slowly working my way through every single Goon Show (I love you internet).
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: andalucia on February 16, 2005, 05:33:46 pm
Quote from: "arlucasinc"
In a somewhat similar vein, but with a different kind of sound is Casiotone for the Painfully Alone, who is a guy with a casio (let's hear it for presets!) who records himself on a crappy boombox (and sometimes answering machines).


Oh yeah, a thousand thumbs up for CftPA... a buddy introduced me to them this year.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: V-Adore on February 16, 2005, 07:36:55 pm
Oh, man, I've been meaning to pick up Tallahassee ever since MP3s of "No Children" and "Oceanographer's Choice" were slung my way. Any other Mountain Goats recommendations? I appear to be in line for a job and thus have a little power to buy lots of CDs shamelessly.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: CortJstr on February 16, 2005, 07:45:01 pm
I'm suddenly on a Rev. Peyton's Big Damn Band kick. You can't agrue with a band that features a washboard.

I've also listened to Fett's Vette like 9 times because it's stuck in my head and won't go away. Your backpack's got jets, I get it already.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Gimpson on February 16, 2005, 08:13:26 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I'm suddenly on a Rev. Peyton's Big Damn Band kick. You can't agrue with a band that features a washboard.


If you're into washboard, I have to pimp out one of my favorite locals, Big Smith (http://www.bigsmithband.com).  I have a couple of their songs up here (http://www.gimpysoft.com/mp3/Big_Smith-Big_Rock-Quarry_Anthem.mp3), here (http://www.gimpysoft.com/mp3/Big_Smith-Big_Rock-No_Sir.mp3), and here (http://www.gimpysoft.com/mp3/Big_Smith-Big_Rock-Preacher.mp3).  They put on a hell of a live show, but with kids and all they're not playing as much as they used to.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Max on February 17, 2005, 02:30:09 am
i checked out the campus network, nobody is packing 'all hail west texas'; i may have to buy it.  there is an album called 'ghana', though - any thoughts on that?

also, i forgot that i finally got over the ridiculous name and started listening to '...and you will know us by the trail of dead'.  check out 'source tags and codes' if you're interested.

and i know you are.  nerds.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Bozack on February 17, 2005, 02:42:52 am
Quote from: "Max"
i
and i know you are.  nerds.


On the Moon, nerds are spanked with moon rocks.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Max on February 17, 2005, 03:24:59 am
taking my time interpreting that subliminal 'i'.

in other news, poked through the modest penis thread, so without irking you all by reviving it, let me just recommend to jough that he give 'lonesome crowded west' a listen before he writes them off.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: andalucia on February 17, 2005, 03:48:27 am
Quote from: "Max"
i checked out the campus network, nobody is packing 'all hail west texas'; i may have to buy it.  there is an album called 'ghana', though - any thoughts on that?


Ghana is pretty good, but it is sort of just one of the eight thousand albums he released.  So it has some good songs (as I recall, "Last Day of Jimi Hendrix's Life", which I like), and it's worth listening to, but not one of his best.

Man, I wish people on my res. network listened to worthwhile music.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: starlight on February 17, 2005, 11:54:03 am
This past week, I got:
Low - The Great Destroyer
Lou Barlow - Emoh
bonnie 'prince' billy + matt sweeney - Superwolf

I like them all quite a bit.  good reading music.

Also, evil person that I am, I downloaded 6 new albums in advance and have had them in high rotation lately:
ASMZ - hosss in the sky
British Sea Power - Open Season
The Decemberists - Picaresque
The Books - Lost and Safe
out hud - let us never speak of it again
Prefuse 73 - surrounded by silence

(I do plan to buy them all, for the record..)
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Max on February 17, 2005, 04:00:49 pm
shit, you've got open season already?  i loved 'decline'; is season as good?
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: jough on February 17, 2005, 05:22:36 pm
You are all too hip for me.  I have been enjoying the sountrack to the Incredibles (very John Barry inspired) and Nancy Sinatra's latest, as well as the Ray Charles boxed set.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: miles on February 17, 2005, 05:41:14 pm
Quote from: "jough"
You are all too hip for me.  I have been enjoying the sountrack to the Incredibles (very John Barry inspired) and Nancy Sinatra's latest, as well as the Ray Charles boxed set.


I love the Joey Burns penned track on the new Sinatra record.  I think it's the first track.  I need to listen to the rest of the album.  I also should add, even though I've plugged them before I'm sure, that if you aren't listening to Calexico, you should be.  My favorites are the Black Light and Feast of Wire, and the new Convict Pool EP is also quite good.  They are amazing live, and you really should not pass up an opportunity to see them.

Starlight:  how's the new Prefuse 73?
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: starlight on February 17, 2005, 10:04:44 pm
Quote from: "Max"
shit, you've got open season already?  i loved 'decline'; is season as good?


I downloaded it, yes (on soulseek, you can get albums up to 2-3 months in advance.. it's an addicting thing).  and yeah, I think it's just as good.  it has its catchy songs... it has a vibe... they sound just as good; typical bsp yet not disappointing.  at least that's my opinion.

Quote from: "miles"
Starlight:  how's the new Prefuse 73?


I enjoyed it.  especially the song featuring Blonde Redhead and the one at the end with Broadcast and Cafe Tacuba.  my opinion matters since before I wasn't entirely sure whether I liked them or not.  I only really liked the song 'Afternoon Love-In' before.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: jough on February 17, 2005, 10:14:11 pm
I dl'ed the new Beck album (it's fairly unmastered, although not too horrible sounding) and it seems to be harkening back to 1996.  Someone referred to it as "Odelay II" on another forum - and that seems about right.  

Personally I think his best album was "Midnight Vultures" which took the Odelay sound about as far as it can go.

I'm a little disappointed that he hasn't made his sincere R&B album yet.  This pseudo-whiteboy-funk thing is a little played out.

But I'll buy the real album when it comes out and see if it's improved since this early January leak.  From what I've read it sounds like someone associated with Beck leaked it intentionally rather than having tapes stolen or something.  

Anyway, I don't know what else is good now.  I was impressed with Usher's performance at the Grammys and got his latest album.  The Nancy Sinatra album is horrible.  The NIN "Deluxe Edition" of The Downward Spiral mostly has tracks that I already have from the various Halo releases, so that was disappointing (although if you haven't heard the surround-sound DVD audio version of TDS you're missing out on a very enveloping soundscape for an album that was remixed from a stereo source).
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: slink on February 17, 2005, 10:29:06 pm
Quote from: "jough"
The NIN "Deluxe Edition" of The Downward Spiral mostly has tracks that I already have from the various Halo releases, so that was disappointing (although if you haven't heard the surround-sound DVD audio version of TDS you're missing out on a very enveloping soundscape for an album that was remixed from a stereo source).


Yea, I had about everything from the bonus disc. And I still haven't got round to listening to it in surround, as I have nothing to play back that way with. I think I'm going to grab some surround headphones soon, as they are cheap and will tide me over for movies and games. It's when I get into making music in surround I'll need to rethink everything!

I must get round to getting the new Beck album to check out. I think Odelay is probably my favourite of his stuff, but I haven't really heard Midnite Vulture. I remixed the first single off it, but never got round to the rest of it, as the single didn't do all that much for me. Was a bit too much funk for me I think.

I'm really enjoying the new Mars Volta cd. It's a more concise record than their first, and it rocks out in a more coherent way, which means I think while it managed to be more prog, it may also show to be slightly more accessible.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Max on February 17, 2005, 11:19:47 pm
Quote from: "starlight"

I downloaded it, yes (on soulseek, you can get albums up to 2-3 months in advance.. it's an addicting thing).  and yeah, I think it's just as good.  it has its catchy songs... it has a vibe... they sound just as good; typical bsp yet not disappointing.  at least that's my opinion.


Ahh, I loved Soulseek, but the network at my school is so old/busted that it won't function anymore.  Thanks for the info, though.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: miles on February 18, 2005, 07:09:00 pm
Quote from: "starlight"

Quote from: "miles"
Starlight:  how's the new Prefuse 73?


I enjoyed it.  especially the song featuring Blonde Redhead and the one at the end with Broadcast and Cafe Tacuba.  my opinion matters since before I wasn't entirely sure whether I liked them or not.  I only really liked the song 'Afternoon Love-In' before.


Blonde Redhead?

I've only heard that album I have, and that album is One Word Extinguisher.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: starlight on February 19, 2005, 03:06:47 am
Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "starlight"

Quote from: "miles"
Starlight:  how's the new Prefuse 73?


I enjoyed it.  especially the song featuring Blonde Redhead and the one at the end with Broadcast and Cafe Tacuba.  my opinion matters since before I wasn't entirely sure whether I liked them or not.  I only really liked the song 'Afternoon Love-In' before.


Blonde Redhead?

I've only heard that album I have, and that album is One Word Extinguisher.


Yeah, there's a lot of features on the new album... not sure about the others; I don't own any -- someone put 'Afternoon Love-In' on a mix for me once... that song's on the album before the one you mention (I have sampled a few songs from that one; it was okay I guess.. not enough for me to want to purchase though).

This one I'm talking about is the new one; comes out in March I think.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: BatzRadio on February 19, 2005, 03:53:44 am
New Prefuse 73 has been the jam in my car lately. I've really really liked it. The scariest part is the most conventional hip-hop song ("Now You're Leaving") is one of my favorite songs on there. I think I can place the blame squarely on the shoulders of that stunningly beautiful sample at the end of the track. I like the Blonde Redhead song too, as well as "Pastel Assassins".

Other stuff I've been listening to lately though....

I've been going back to some of the Charlatans (UK if you want but I'll make fun of you) albums. Between 10th and 11th was one of the very first "alt-rock" recordings I ever bought, so they always had sort of a special place for me. "Just Lookin'" is probably one of the most underrated and wonderful songs ever though.

LCD Soundsystem's probably been one of my favorite "trendy" albums to listen to lately. It's in the same class of the new Prefuse 73 as far as one of my current music skewings go. That is to say, finally having a good car and a decent sound system I've come to appreciate certain musics for their power to rattle the car. LCD Soundsystem is very good for this.

I'm into Louis XIV's Illegal Tender EP for its' whole Adam and the Ants throwbackiness. As long as they don't move towards Adam Ant's solo output, they'll be OK.

And then there's Bowie at the Beeb (as in David Bowie of course). I got this a month ago and it's been listened to a lot. Has some of the best versions ever of the early 70's material on disc 2. And John Peel talking from back when he was as energetic as Neil from the Young Ones inbetween songs on disc 1.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Beatrice on February 20, 2005, 09:59:22 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "linnea"
My Morning Jacket has this wicked-awesome EP called "Acoustic Citsouca! Live At The Startime Pavilion" (http://pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/m/my-morning-jacket/acoustic-citsuoca.shtml) that I have been listening to on repeat forever.  The review from Pitchfork is actually pretty good, imho.
 


I saw them open for Bob Dylan last summer.  They're local (Louisville) boys.


I was at that concert.  I saw MMJ at Bonnaroo the next summer, avoided the Dylan show.  What does that say?
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Max on February 20, 2005, 11:26:10 pm
Ok, I've been trying to get ahold of these guys 'LCD Soundsystem' for awhile now, but soulseek barely functions on this network.  Anybody heard them?
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Mr Trout on February 21, 2005, 12:46:52 am
I hadn't heard of them before you mentioned them, but after reading a bit about them on Allmusic I decided to give them a shot. Downloading the album right now; I can probably figure out some way to get you the CD after it's finished.

Also I just got The Arcade Fire's debut CD and it's really good. The band is made up of a husband, wife, brother, and two friends, and it's some pretty strong indie rock. Walks the fine line between taking themselves seriously and being too pretentious, and I really dig the lyrics. I'm dissapointed I missed them last month at The Ottobar in Baltimore. That place is such a great venue to see upcoming bands in.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: CortJstr on February 21, 2005, 12:57:04 am
Quote from: "Mr Trout"
The Ottobar in Baltimore. That place is such a great venue to see upcoming bands in.

Was the Ottobar recently redone or am I confusing it with another venue? I remember everybody used to be all about the 8x10 but I think that closed.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Mr Trout on February 21, 2005, 01:30:10 am
The 8x10 was very cool till it closed a couple of years ago. It's now The Funk Box and is somehow affiliated with Walther Productions so a lot of the bands the promote play there.

The Ottobar has been around for a while and it's pretty much in the city on Howard street. It's a great place, but they recently outlawed smoking in the front half of the place where the stage is. I don't smoke, but I realize that one of the hazards of going to a club/bar is the cigarrettes. It kind of spoils the atmosphere a little in my opinion. But, it is their club, and it hasn't stopped bands from wanting to play there since the options are kind of limited in the city. I mean, they could play at The Talking Head, but that place is so damn small it get very crowded really easily.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: CortJstr on February 21, 2005, 02:43:16 am
Quote from: "Mr Trout"
The 8x10 was very cool till it closed a couple of years ago. It's now The Funk Box and is somehow affiliated with Walther Productions so a lot of the bands the promote play there.

The Ottobar has been around for a while and it's pretty much in the city on Howard street. It's a great place, but they recently outlawed smoking in the front half of the place where the stage is. I don't smoke, but I realize that one of the hazards of going to a club/bar is the cigarrettes. It kind of spoils the atmosphere a little in my opinion. But, it is their club, and it hasn't stopped bands from wanting to play there since the options are kind of limited in the city. I mean, they could play at The Talking Head, but that place is so damn small it get very crowded really easily.

I've never been to 8x10 but a friend got her start at their open mike night. Stone Cellar seems to get decent acts and one can never discount Fletcher's.

I find the non-smoking aspect of Jammin' Java to be pretty much the only part of that venue that doesn't suck.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: old kentucky shark on February 21, 2005, 04:51:48 am
Now my time is divided amongst the following:

the new Books album
the new Spoon album
the new Prefuse 73 album
the new Decemberists album
the new Sleater-Kinney album
the new Of Montreal album
the new Caribou album
songs that will be on the new Mountain Goats album
songs that will be on the new Broken Social Scene album
songs that will be on the new Animal Collective album

dearie me oh
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: old kentucky shark on February 21, 2005, 04:53:11 am
Quote from: "Max"
Ok, I've been trying to get ahold of these guys 'LCD Soundsystem' for awhile now, but soulseek barely functions on this network.  Anybody heard them?


Yeah, and youd do well to get ahold of those guys because that album is pretty nice-nice-nice
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: starlight on February 21, 2005, 08:29:29 am
Quote from: "old kentucky shark"
Now my time is divided amongst the following:


the new Spoon album


Oooh, the new Spoon is available?
I better look into it.  I heard one acoustic demo last year that was linked on pitchfork thanks to someone telling me about it and have been pumped about the new album ever since.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Max on February 21, 2005, 03:38:52 pm
you have the new spoon album??

god damn it i am so out of it on this network.

trout: that would be very good.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: andalucia on February 21, 2005, 11:07:24 pm
Quote from: "starlight"
Oooh, the new Spoon is available?
I better look into it.  I heard one acoustic demo last year that was linked on pitchfork thanks to someone telling me about it and have been pumped about the new album ever since.


Wowzers, acoustic Spoon?  I can not entirely imagine that, but I'll have to look for it.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: starlight on February 22, 2005, 01:12:20 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "starlight"
Oooh, the new Spoon is available?
I better look into it.  I heard one acoustic demo last year that was linked on pitchfork thanks to someone telling me about it and have been pumped about the new album ever since.


Wowzers, acoustic Spoon?  I can not entirely imagine that, but I'll have to look for it.


I had to look through my 'memories' on lj since I knew I linked it.. seems to still work:  http://media.prod4ever.com/spoon/SPOON_-_I_SUMMON_YOU_demo.mp3

Ugh... I somehow forgot how to link or something's up with the forum, so hopefully it'll just turn into a link :D
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: andalucia on February 22, 2005, 01:49:23 am
Oh, rad, thanks dude.  That was surprisingly enjoyable.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: old kentucky shark on February 22, 2005, 05:15:33 am
Yeah, "I Summon You"'s probably my favorite on the album. And that demo might actually be a bit better than the album cut.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: starlight on February 22, 2005, 05:27:04 am
Yeah, I constantly get that tune stuck in my head soon after hearing it.. can't wait to hear the album version.

I tried going on soulseek a bit ago and it made me dl the new version; only one user had it and they queued me, so I left.  perhaps it's slow due to this new version thing.... or the time.  I usually have more luck around 4am :D
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: arlucasinc on March 16, 2005, 07:11:23 pm
Quote from: "old kentucky shark"
Quote from: "Max"
Ok, I've been trying to get ahold of these guys 'LCD Soundsystem' for awhile now, but soulseek barely functions on this network.  Anybody heard them?


Yeah, and youd do well to get ahold of those guys because that album is pretty nice-nice-nice


I haven't heard a ton of LCD stuff, but OMG the breakdown from about the halfway point of Yeah (Stupid Version) is enough to pretty much explode your entire head. Sheer psyched-out acid madness.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like that track (or at least that version) is included on the new album. So you'd do really well to pick up the Yeah 12", or just ask me nice and I could even hook you up. With that track, at least. Or something.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Bozack on March 16, 2005, 08:22:16 pm
I bought "Sweetheart of the Rodeo," by the Byrds, and am really getting into that.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: CortJstr on March 22, 2005, 07:16:14 pm
On the advice of every music columist in the hemisphere I'm listening to Bloc Party. It kind of sounds like TV on the Radio had hot man-sex with Knock Knock Knock by Hot Hot Heat.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: slink on March 22, 2005, 07:55:50 pm
Just got a couple of discs, what with earning now, though all put on credit while I await my paycheck.
Eagles of Death Metal - good stuff. Had heard it before, but had to get round to grabbing the album itself.
Mark Lanegan - Bubblegum. Somewhat less country/folk than his previous albums. More rock, and stunning guest work from PJ Harvey (funny that I'd been thinking, just before I heard about her appearance on it that they would work so perfectly together.) Hit the City is just a fuck*ng incredible track. Excellent album!
Queens of the Stone Age - Lullabies to Paralyze. The brand new one. Some excellent stuff on this. I listened to the single and thought 'yea, it's pretty good', then Josh's solo came and I knew for sure it would kick ass. A more coherent album than Songs for the Deaf in many ways, and great stuff.
All in all, a good purchase. Can't wait to put them on my swanky iRiver h340 when it turns up so I can actually listen to music at work.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: miles on March 23, 2005, 05:57:39 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
I bought "Sweetheart of the Rodeo," by the Byrds, and am really getting into that.


I love the album.  It has two of my favorite Dylan covers.  Did you get the deluxe edition?  If you haven't, you should chek out the Flying Burrito Brothers.  I like them better than Sweetheart.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Max on March 23, 2005, 04:17:20 pm
i have always been an elliott smith fan but never until now did i really get into 'figure 8.'  it is as awesome as the other albums.  try 'happiness', 'son of sam,' or 'la'.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 23, 2005, 04:21:44 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
I bought "Sweetheart of the Rodeo," by the Byrds, and am really getting into that.


The Byrds have been on my list of bands I need to get deeper into for, like forever.  I don't know why it's taken me so long, but I think it's time to stop procrastinating and buy a couple of Byrds disc.

~Paul
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: arkabee on March 25, 2005, 04:52:52 am
i've been revisiting Helmet.  i missed them.

hadn't heard their cover of "Army of Me" before. it's nifty:
http://www.helmetband.com/audio/audio.html
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Bozack on March 25, 2005, 05:27:18 am
Hokay, from the top-
I'm home right now, so CDs are cheap, and I'm filling up. I grabbed a CD by a guy I used to work with, Joe Manning, which was recorded in the middle of the night in a tunnel in a park I live near, so you can hear the crickets chirping in the background. Very nice. Then, I found a copy of the Minders "The Future's Always Perfect," as well as the Duhks self-titled. The Minders is good if you like sorta bip-rock, I guess, and the Duhks is good for what it is, i.e. Bela Fleck-influenced bluegrass. A bit too.....polished for my tastes? Maybe a bit too "Nashville," rather. Then, a record store was closing down near my house, and I found a copy of the Saddle Creek "50" compilation on sale for $2.25. I found a cheap copy of local band Verktum's self-titled and then a new 3-disc Yo La Tengo compilation, "Prisoners of Love."
Also, I'm listening to a lot of T.Rex. Why didn't anyone TELL me they were really good?
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 25, 2005, 07:20:16 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
Also, I'm listening to a lot of T.Rex. Why didn't anyone TELL me they were really good?

I didn't know that was a secret.

~Paul
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Nabubrush on March 25, 2005, 09:42:34 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
I found a copy of the Minders "The Future's Always Perfect," The Minders is good if you like sorta bip-rock, I guess,


The Minders play Portland lots, with Fuck.

Quote from: "Bozack"
Also, I'm listening to a lot of T.Rex. Why didn't anyone TELL me they were really good?


I always think of T. Rex as more of a he, because really, how much did Steve Peregrine Took bring to the party?
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on March 25, 2005, 09:47:15 pm
The Howling Hex's All Night Fox (http://www.howlinghex.com/). Hypnotic, stripped down rock from the former main brain of Royal Trux.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Va on March 25, 2005, 10:47:03 pm
Under the Western Freeway - Grandaddy
Discipline - King Crimson
The Spine - TMBG
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Turbo Ninja on March 29, 2005, 05:11:17 pm
Some things making the rotation in my CD player:

Kings of Leon - Aha Shake Heartbreak
Beck - Guero
Marc Broussard - Carencro
Doves - Some Cities
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Max on March 29, 2005, 11:38:30 pm
Finally have the new Spoon album, it's awesome.  Also getting into the LCD Soundsystem bonus tracks (especially 'deceptacon'...wow) and, for the rap fans, I finally downloaded all of antipop consortium's 'arrhythmia', definitely worth a listen.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: jough on March 30, 2005, 06:45:36 am
I thought earlier about what a strange world I live in when I'm really sick of Beck's "Guero" already - strange considering that it was just officially released TODAY.

Also, I cannot tell the difference between most of the tracks on the offical legal release and the leaked version, other than the best song on the album does not appear on the actual album (it's on the "Deluxe" version of the album, though, which can bite my ass).

I like Beck enough to purchase his CDs, but otherwise the best album I'm listening to is They Might Be Giant's "Here Come the ABCs".

It's not just for kids, kids.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 30, 2005, 02:02:20 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I like Beck enough to purchase his CDs, but otherwise the best album I'm listening to is They Might Be Giant's "Here Come the ABCs".

It's not just for kids, kids.


I've seen a few clips from that on the Disney Channel, and I haven't been all that impressed.  They're OK, but not great, IMO.

TMBG does the theme song for awful Disney Channel CGI show "Higglytown Heroes."

The best kids' music artist right now is Dan Zanes.  Songs for kids that actually have some musicianship behind them.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: CortJstr on March 30, 2005, 02:12:24 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I thought earlier about what a strange world I live in when I'm really sick of Beck's "Guero" already - strange considering that it was just officially released TODAY.

Also, I cannot tell the difference between most of the tracks on the offical legal release and the leaked version, other than the best song on the album does not appear on the actual album (it's on the "Deluxe" version of the album, though, which can bite my ass).

I like Beck enough to purchase his CDs, but otherwise the best album I'm listening to is They Might Be Giant's "Here Come the ABCs".

It's not just for kids, kids.

What makes it Deluxe? Is it one of those lame-ass DualDisc things?

I love TMBG and all but No! didn't really do it for me so I haven't picked up or even heard the ABCs. It still kind of bugs me when they play Violin &c at shows where no kids are present.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Gimpson on March 30, 2005, 03:56:28 pm
I found a song by Andrew Bird on Salon a while back and liked it so much I grabbed his new album (http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/b/bird_andrew/mysterious-production-of-eggs.shtml) and an older one (http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/b/bird_andrew/weather-systems.shtml).  I'm currently enjoying them so much it's inspired me to buy all the old Squirrel Nut Zippers albums I've lost over the years.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: jough on March 30, 2005, 06:38:50 pm
Oh, their kids albums aren't really for kids.  Actually, I've never heard "No!" so I don't know if that one isn't as good, but "Here Come the ABCs" is their best album since John Henry as far as I'm concerned (I thought Factory Showroom and Mink Car were awful, and The Spine is only somewhat growing on me).

But ABCs is awesome.  I don't have kids (that I know of, har har) and I've been listening to it a lot.  I understand there's also a DVD with bizarre animations for the songs.  I'll have to see if Netflix carries it.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: CortJstr on March 30, 2005, 08:31:58 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Oh, their kids albums aren't really for kids.  Actually, I've never heard "No!" so I don't know if that one isn't as good, but "Here Come the ABCs" is their best album since John Henry as far as I'm concerned (I thought Factory Showroom and Mink Car were awful, and The Spine is only somewhat growing on me).

But ABCs is awesome.  I don't have kids (that I know of, har har) and I've been listening to it a lot.  I understand there's also a DVD with bizarre animations for the songs.  I'll have to see if Netflix carries it.

We must just have different tastes. John Henry is my least favorite album and I liked FS a lot (Mink Car was meh, but at least it's autographed and was free). I haven't heard of a DVD but No! has various little Flash bits for the songs if you put it in your computer.

I think this whole kids thing grew out of Linnell's State Songs album, which I also found underwhelming.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Limmo on March 30, 2005, 08:44:32 pm
Quote from: "jough"
the best song on the album does not appear on the actual album (it's on the "Deluxe" version of the album, though, which can bite my ass).


Which song?
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: jough on March 30, 2005, 11:19:41 pm
Yeah, you must not have good taste because John Henry is TMBG's best album.

As for Beck's best song that's not on Guero but was on the leaked version of Guero, it's officially called "Send A Message To Her" and it's on the Japanese version, which some online stores are selling as the "Deluxe" version.  As it only has three extra tracks (available for free download if you PM me) I just ripped them from someone else's disc - I don't know if they'll be made available in the U.S. but since you can't buy them (technically) in this market I'm calling "fair use" on their re-distribution.

Fuck you, Beck.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: slink on March 31, 2005, 07:58:06 pm
I've only heard the first few tracks off Guero so far. Didn't do it for me as much as the first two albums did.
I'll give it a proper listen at work tomorrow if I get a chance. I just got my iRiver and have copied across everything I could possibly ever think of listening to, so god knows what mood I'll be in tomorrow - probably more of the new Queens of the Stone Age album frankly.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: starlight on April 01, 2005, 10:38:25 am
I've been listening to some demo stuff I found on soulseek.

The TV on the Radio song netti fritti (http://www.sardonic-hee.com/music/mp3s/TV_on_the_Radio-netti%20fritti.mp3) being one of them.  it cracks me up.

Also, I've been waiting for new stuff I ordered to arrive in the mail for forever.  soon I'm going to order the new a silver mt. zion... I've had it in my dl folder for a couple months, but the packaging is what I'm excited to see.

Is it weird I had no desire to hear the new Beck?  hm... I just haven't been that interested in Beck since '97.... though when browsing stuff on soulseek, I saw tons of new Beck stuff I could've listened to.. which is how I heard many new albums even if I previously hadn't heard or cared about the band/singer.  interesting.  now I'm slightly piqued yet not really... just about the one song I guess.  I'll have to go find it!
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Turbo Ninja on April 01, 2005, 02:41:27 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Yeah, you must not have good taste because John Henry is TMBG's best album.


This is the truth.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: pmcd9 on April 01, 2005, 03:16:51 pm
Quote from: "starlight"
Is it weird I had no desire to hear the new Beck?

If it is, then i'm very weird too.  It's especially so for me since I thought Sea Change was an awesome album, the best of the year.  I think it's because he's not looking forward any longer, but instead trying to recapture the audience that loved Odelay.  I'll probably love his next one.

~Paul
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: jough on April 01, 2005, 04:07:24 pm
Yeah, I loved Sea Change and Mutations.

But I thought Midnite Vultures was his best album, taking the Odelay thing as far as it can go.

The new one is like Mellow Gold 1.5 - it's halfway between the sound of MG and Odelay.

I read that the working title of this one was "Odelay 2" which I guess is about right - aren't sequels usually watered-down versions of what made the original a success?  (Star Trek and Spider-Man franchises did not follow this rule)
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Gimpson on April 01, 2005, 07:00:33 pm
Quote from: "jough"
(Star Trek and Spider-Man franchises did not follow this rule)


Or X-Men, Evil Dead and Alien.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: jough on April 01, 2005, 08:17:18 pm
Or Star Wars, Before Sunrise, or El Mariachi.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: arkabee on April 01, 2005, 10:49:44 pm
or Mighty ducks!

well, i've only ever seen Might Ducks 2.  and it makes me cry!

it's the bestest.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: V-Adore on April 03, 2005, 08:16:50 pm
Man, since when was State Songs a kids' album? Or even a childish one? Sure, it had some strange material, but most of it was excellent strange material. I laughed, I cried, I bought the vinyl "Montana" single.

I've been wavering on picking up Here Come th ABCs, and now I should probably do it.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: CortJstr on April 03, 2005, 11:15:46 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Man, since when was State Songs a kids' album? Or even a childish one? Sure, it had some strange material, but most of it was excellent strange material. I laughed, I cried, I bought the vinyl "Montana" single.

I've been wavering on picking up Here Come th ABCs, and now I should probably do it.

I didn't mean it was a kids album but they've always played with vaguely edutainmental stuff such as State Songs. I also own the Montana single but my turntable won't play it since it's unbalanced.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: V-Adore on April 04, 2005, 12:43:06 am
State Songs wasn't edutainmenty at all, though, unless you count the occasional reference to a state flower or some such. I mean, the Arkansas song was about a ship that was a 1:1 scale model of Arkansas and sank the state in its construction, and I'm relatively sure that never happened. Also, "Montana" appears to be more educational about the sad phenomenon of mental illness in long-term hospital patients than about Montana, unless you really think Montana is a leg.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Bozack on April 04, 2005, 01:28:43 am
I just got Esquivel's "Loungecore" album, as well as the Vaseline's "The Way of the Vaselines- A Complete History." And my roomate got a Sammy Davis Jr. box set that I hope to rip sometime soon. Woo.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Choop on April 04, 2005, 04:16:48 am
Magnolia Electric Co.'s new one - the dude at the record store gave it to me early. Just go to your local shop, and say, "What's the most awesome album of April?" (I asked for March's most awesome, and he said he couldn't think of one, then for february was a band i don't care for, but he was cool with giving me a CD that doesn't come out for a few more days.)

Picture: Southern rock/folk/Canadian country/guitar rock and you might have it*. Beautiful, lyrical, great guitar, songs that tie together = album.


*Or I just can't describe it.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: miles on April 04, 2005, 04:30:28 am
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Magnolia Electric Co.'s new one[...]


I have the live album.  I was all up on it for like a week, then I got a bit bored of it.  Which is strange because I loved it at first.  Just gets a bit boring after several listens.  How does this new one compare to the live record?

Does anyone like Samhain?  I have been listening to their first album.  Never was much of a Danzig fan, and the Misifts are fun and all, but only kind of, but I like this record.

Also, I have been listening to tons of Wu Tang, mainly Ghostface and GZA, and some Raekwon.

Also, anxiously awaiting the new Built to Spill record.  Hopefully by fall I guess.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Choop on April 04, 2005, 04:52:57 am
Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Magnolia Electric Co.'s new one[...]


I have the live album.  I was all up on it for like a week, then I got a bit bored of it.  Which is strange because I loved it at first.  Just gets a bit boring after several listens.  How does this new one compare to the live record?


Um... dunno: haven't heard the live one. I'm not what you'd call "big" on the "hip" "records". I hope the tiring of the album doesn't hit me so hard and so soon.

The best album I've heard in the last few months is- no, really- Has Been by William Shatner (and Ben Folds). It's like he finally gets the big joke on himself, and sees the humo(u)r and laughs at it. Fantastic from start to finish, especially the first track (Common People) and the Henry Rollins track (I Can't Get Behind That). The song to his daughter is especially poignant, and that about his wife is incredibly painful and pained. He's a terrible actor, and he knows it, and he's an even worse singer, and he knows it. As the last track points out, he's real. It's probably the most humanizing (not to borrow the word) and least affected album I've heard in forever. Every post-modern jazz fan should hear this, as it will completely destroy their musical shells. Spoken word enthusiasts will love it, even though it's not a spoken-word album. Hipsters think it's ironic, but they don't know the meaning of the word. (It's not ironic, not a bit.)

(Jesus Shits, did I glow enough over that album?)
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Max on April 04, 2005, 05:06:08 am
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Magnolia Electric Co.'s new one - the dude at the record store gave it to me early. Just go to your local shop, and say, "What's the most awesome album of April?"


I worked at the only independent record store in Annapolis for awhile, and I would have just given you the finger.  Especially after your overanalyzation of Has Been.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: starlight on April 04, 2005, 09:16:10 am
This past weekend I downloaded 13+God (The Notwist and Themselves) and now I cannot wait for it to come out!  I like the notwist-y sounding ones better than the rapping ones, but as a whole it works together.  only the last song left me a bit meh and by then I was pretty much sold anyhow.

I also found The Unicorns album 'Unicorns are People Too' earlier tonight ...it's bizarre... there are some songs that are on the official one, but they sound completely different on this album.
here's the lyrics and such (http://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~abatko/unicorns/music/?a=01-Unicorns_Are_People_Too)

At this moment, I'm somewhat sampling the new Architecture in Helsinki album.. I just have the first 3 songs.. sounds rather peppy yet interesting I s'pose... we'll see.  sometimes I'm in the mood for pep and other times I'd like to mope to my music which is around this hour... not a good time to judge.

I considered getting that Magnolia Electric Co. album since the friend I've been downloading off of grabbed it when I said I was interested.  I should see if it's worth the purchase... maybe not tonight though since it's getting late.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Mr Trout on April 04, 2005, 04:14:26 pm
Quote from: "starlight"


I also found The Unicorns album 'Unicorns are People Too' earlier tonight ...it's bizarre... there are some songs that are on the official one, but they sound completely different on this album.
here's the lyrics and such (http://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~abatko/unicorns/music/?a=01-Unicorns_Are_People_Too)



Oh man, I've been looking for that CD for a really long time. I can't get enough of "Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone?", I love that CD so much from start to finish. They have so much fun singing all the songs that it really shines through and puts me in a good mood everytime I listen to it.

How does Ghost Mountain sound on that CD? That is one of my favorites from their second CD (though I'd be hard-pressed to pick a single favorite song).
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Choop on April 04, 2005, 05:32:48 pm
Quote from: "Max"
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Magnolia Electric Co.'s new one - the dude at the record store gave it to me early. Just go to your local shop, and say, "What's the most awesome album of April?"


I worked at the only independent record store in Annapolis for awhile, and I would have just given you the finger.  Especially after your overanalyzation of Has Been.


Well, the guys at my local independent record store aren't dicks.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Limmo on April 04, 2005, 07:12:42 pm
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Well, the guys at my local independent record store aren't dicks.


Yeah, I'm with Choop on this one, both in his assessment of Has Been and his response to Max.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: V-Adore on April 04, 2005, 07:15:04 pm
I won't get pretentious about it, but I also enjoy Has Been. (I um, buccaneer-american'd it, but I'm considering buying it; there are a couple of bad tracks, but overall it's pretty enjoyable. It's also the kind of album where everyone thinks there are a couple of bad tracks but nobody can agree which they are.) Musically, it actually isn't hideous; I mean, okay, Shatner can't sing, but he knows he can't, and the songs he does use his lack of ability for the best. Also, he has a rant track with Henry Rollins. What could go wrong?
Title: listen to ME
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 05, 2005, 11:28:17 pm
for all you wacky nuts in the DC area, I'm going to be DJing this saturday in the city. PM or IM me for more.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Mr Trout on April 06, 2005, 03:28:54 am
I just found this really interesting cover of "Mr, Grieves" done by TV on the Radio:

Mr, Grieves cover (http://www.eyemaginations.com/download/05%20-%20mr.%20grieves.mp3)

It sounds a bit underdeveloped to me, but it's such a cool interpretation of the song that I'm forced to like it.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: miles on April 06, 2005, 03:43:32 am
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Quote from: "Max"
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Magnolia Electric Co.'s new one - the dude at the record store gave it to me early. Just go to your local shop, and say, "What's the most awesome album of April?"


I worked at the only independent record store in Annapolis for awhile, and I would have just given you the finger.  Especially after your overanalyzation of Has Been.


Well, the guys at my local independent record store aren't dicks.


At some local independent record stores, the application process includes several scenarios to test how much of a pretentious dick you can be to well-meaning customers.

At least that's what I've deduced from the amount of total dicks I've encountered at certain record stores.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: St_Zartan on April 06, 2005, 06:44:50 am
Quote from: "miles"
At some local independent record stores, the application process includes several scenarios to test how much of a pretentious dick you can be to well-meaning customers.

At least that's what I've deduced from the amount of total dicks I've encountered at certain record stores.


This is what gets record store clerks marched out into the fuck*ng parking lot and repeatedly kicked in the goddamned throats with steel-toed boots until they admit that, no, they don't really like Pavement.

Or would, were it not for your Earthling "laws".
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: miles on April 06, 2005, 07:11:58 am
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Or would, were it not for your Earthling "laws".


Pesky "laws," always getting in the way of justice.

The recent Neil Young news has caused me to listen to him a lot over the last couple days, and Ambulance Blues from On the Beach has been on repeat tonight and last night.  On the Beach is a great album, worth seeking out, especially now that it is really easy to find.  My two least favorite tracks off the album were featured on Decade, so if that's all you've heard, you haven't heard the best.  I've also listened to After the Gold Rush and his great guitar epics:  Cortez the Killer, Down by the River, Cowgirl in the Sand, and Like a Hurricane a good deal.

I downloaded Diplo's Florida, and was impressed by the first two or three tracks, and a couple others.  The rest isn't too great.

Apparently Calexico is in the studio, and I'm looking foward to it, but their last album, Feast of Wire, will be hard to top.

Speaking of Shatner, I bought my dad Transformed Man for his birthday a few years ago.  I don't think he listens to it much, so I may have to swipe it from him next time I'm home.  I haven't heard the new one, but somehow the idea that he is in on the joke now is a bit disappointing.  He is so fuck*ng serious on Transformed Man, and that's largely what makes it so fun.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: starlight on April 06, 2005, 07:48:10 am
Quote from: "Mr Trout"
Quote from: "starlight"


I also found The Unicorns album 'Unicorns are People Too' earlier tonight ...it's bizarre... there are some songs that are on the official one, but they sound completely different on this album.
here's the lyrics and such (http://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~abatko/unicorns/music/?a=01-Unicorns_Are_People_Too)



Oh man, I've been looking for that CD for a really long time. I can't get enough of "Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone?", I love that CD so much from start to finish. They have so much fun singing all the songs that it really shines through and puts me in a good mood everytime I listen to it.

How does Ghost Mountain sound on that CD? That is one of my favorites from their second CD (though I'd be hard-pressed to pick a single favorite song).


Yeah, I hear it's out of print without word of a reprint... I'm not sure; it was on another forum, so completely word of mouth... reason I was a bit excited when I saw it to download from someone.. not an authentic copy, but still better than nothing :D

..and yes, I like it 'cause it's fun, too.  I sometimes get tired of mopey music and they certainly put me in a good mood with their wacky lyrics!

Ghost Mountain-
I had to go play them back to back to see the differences...
WWCOHWWG?: long music bit
This album: a little loopy bit then they mess around asking if everything's ready, laughing, etcetc
WWCOHWWG?: more upbeat opening on the lyrics
This album: slower organ-y quiet opening

Okay, this is getting tedious.. basically this one has a slower buildup and less beat changes, but it's still fun.. heh.  I suck at comparing things... it's GOOD! :D

My fav. songs on WWCOHWWG? are Les Os and Tuff Ghost personally, but Ghost Mountain is certainly a good track.

[ETA:  I might upload the whole album on my website by the weekend... I say 'by the weekend' since it takes forever on dialup to upload and I have more patience on weekends... ahah]
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Bozack on April 06, 2005, 04:47:17 pm
Quote from: "miles"

At some local independent record stores, the application process includes several scenarios to test how much of a pretentious dick you can be to well-meaning customers.


I worked at a record/video rental place, and the best time I ever had at work was doing counter stuff, with "Cryin'" Ryan. "Cryin'" Ryan was legendary for a few reasons: his love of egg sandwiches on onion bagels, his majestic emo-ness and, most of all, his total verbal assreaming of anyone who didn't return videos on time. Despite the fact that we charged pretty heavy late fees, Ryan was geniunely hurt when people didn't return videos and he had to call them. The best thing was, he wasn't a dick, he just made it clear that We Here at Kims are VERY Hurt and Disappointed that you still haven't gotten that copy of "Tango and Cash" back, and we're Not Mad, Just....Disappointed, Is All.
It was like a symphony of shame.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: slink on April 09, 2005, 09:54:48 pm
I'm ashamed to say that I have only just accepted The Spine.
I always liked Some Crazy Bastard, but never got into the album at all. But having listened to it while building my new computer, I ended up listening to it a few times over the subsequent days. That and having grabbed a copy of Here Come the ABCs.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: V-Adore on April 10, 2005, 02:23:01 am
Quote from: "slink"
I'm ashamed to say that I have only just accepted The Spine.
I always liked Some Crazy Bastard, but never got into the album at all. But having listened to it while building my new computer, I ended up listening to it a few times over the subsequent days. That and having grabbed a copy of Here Come the ABCs.

Man, your pickup track was "Bastard Wants to Hit Me?" I must confess that that's one that took a bit longer to grow on me than most of the disk. For me, the grabbers were "Prevenge" and "Thunderbird," with maybe a bit of "Wearing a Raincoat."

(Of course, now I want to go listen to "Museum of Idiots" on repeat.)
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Golfhaus on April 10, 2005, 09:28:24 am
I got in on "Experimental Film" and the Homestar Runner video of the same, but also thought "Prevenge" and "Some Crazy Bastard Wants To Hit Me" were great. Those are probably my three favorites from that album.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Pedro Picasso on April 11, 2005, 07:29:53 pm
Most of the music I listen to is at work.  Here I need music that is not distracting.  That means a lot of classical and instrumental.  A bunch of videogame music from OverClocked Remix (http://www.ocremix.org/) as well.  Strong Bad's "Come on fhqwgads LIVE" is in that rotation, and it's funny because I will not notice that the song has ended and I'm sitting in silence until Homestar starts singing the bonus track "Secret Song"  The effect is no less than hilarious.

I am looking forward to Doomglobe's "Wails-of-the-Damned".  Hopefully that will start up soon.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: miles on April 16, 2005, 04:51:33 am
I really can't recommend the Mekons forcefully enough.  Fear and Whiskey has been an absolute favorite of mine for a while, and I just recently "acquired" Honky Tonkin'.  I haven't listened to the entire album (I'm actually not done "acquiring" it--I have a slow method of doing so), but so far it's every bit as good as Fear and Whiskey.  They have a relatively new album that I haven't heard, but I've heard that their recently released retrospective is good.  Same with the album The Mekons Rock 'n' Roll.

I suck at describing music, but I'll give it a shot.  They have guitars, vocals, a fiddle, drums, bass, other instruments.  They wouldn't sound out of place at a pub (they are British (?), by the way).  And...well, I really suck at it.

I know Fear and Whiskey is on Quarterstick records, which is part of Touch and Go Records (http://www.tgrec.com/).  Rather, it was re-issued on that label, the record was released originally sometime in the early 80s I believe.  It looks like most of their records are.

The band also has splinter projects, including the Waco Brothers.  I am not familiar with any of those projects.

And here (http://www.touchandgorecords.com/bands/band.php?id=14) are (http://www.southern.com/southern/band/MEKON/) some (http://www.ellipsis.com/mekons/index.01.html) sites (http://www.mekons.de/mekonhom.htm) associated with them.  I'm sure there is a soundclip or two to be found among the sites.

Godamn it.  If I'm not mistaken, I think one of the songs was edited.  Looks like I'll be buying the record soon.  Which I planned to do anyway, it's just somewhat hard to find.  Who would edit a song and then share it?  Maybe it was just a blip at the right (or wrong) spot, but I'm fairly certain.  Anyway.

Oh, by the way, there is a really great cover of Sin City, the song by the Flying Burrito Brothers, on Honky Tonkin'.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: starlight on April 16, 2005, 11:37:20 pm
Oh.... I forgot to put up that Unicorns album... maybe soon! soon! soon!

Yesterday I put up this one: Hot Chip - Mexico EP (http://www.sardonic-hee.com/music/mp3s/hotchip)

Some reviews on it can be found here (http://victorygarden.reddiweb.com/vg14reviews.htm).  basically mellow acoustic-y stuff.

---

I've also been listening to hosss in the Sky (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007W221G/qid=1113694692/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-4998176-9293753), the new Silver Mt. Zion album.  finally got a real copy of it yesterday (packaging = lovely) though I've had it for a good three months on my comp.  it keeps getting better and better with every listen.... may just be my top album of the year.  who knows.

---

Today has been a Thee Shallows - A history of sport giraffeing (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000066HJ8/qid=1113694456/sr=11-1/ref=sr_11_1/102-4998176-9293753) day though.  the album was made in 2002, but I just discovered it thanks to a few people in a forum discussing it.  it's basic indie rock instrumentation / mellow / soft vocals... niiiice.  read the reviews on amazon.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: arkabee on April 18, 2005, 02:08:48 pm
finally got a copy of Clutch's Blast Tyrant.  i'd heard a couple of songs and/or videos off their website, and hadn't been impressed.  but, wow, is this a good cd.  Pure Rock Fury left me sort of wanting, i guess.  it was a good album, but not for them.

anyways, get Blast Tyrant.  it is da bomb.

also, their newest album should be out soon, and J. Robbins is producing/engineering/recording it or something.  is that not the shit?

it's like putting chocolate on my peanut butter, or something.

i'm so frightened it's going to suck.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: jough on April 18, 2005, 03:30:46 pm
Ben Folds's "Songs for Silverman" has been getting a lot of play here lately, even if sometimes I lose track of where one song ends and another begins (I actually got confused when the shuffle ended one song and started playing something from Shoukichi Kina, and I was left wondering where the second half of the song went, not realising at the time that they were actually two separate tracks).

I've not even heard the new single, but I'm really looking forward to the new Weezer.  I was disappointed that it was not simply called "Weezer" with a coloured background.  Then they'd have an "unnamed album/named album" every other one.  That would be cool.  This one could be the pink album or something.

But alas.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: CortJstr on April 18, 2005, 04:32:46 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I've not even heard the new single, but I'm really looking forward to the new Weezer.  I was disappointed that it was not simply called "Weezer" with a coloured background.  Then they'd have an "unnamed album/named album" every other one.  That would be cool.  This one could be the pink album or something.

But alas.

DAMMIT! I was really hoping for the Yellow Album (reverse ROY G. BIV).
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: slink on April 18, 2005, 06:23:56 pm
I didn't just get a copy of the new NIN album, and haven't been listening to it aciduously. It's not very, very good. Oh wait...
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: CortJstr on April 18, 2005, 07:15:45 pm
About 2 weeks ago I picked up the Futureheads album. It's interesting but I don't know if they'll be the "breakout artist of '05" as is being predicted by some outlets.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: jough on April 18, 2005, 08:41:36 pm
Is there a new Futureheads album already, or is this the same one?

Yeah, I have a copy of the new NIN and while it's better than The Fragile I should add that that's not saying much.  It's a little repetitive and the lyrics are even less sophisticated than usual.

I'm disappointed with it, and my expectations for it were very low.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: CortJstr on April 18, 2005, 08:52:17 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Is there a new Futureheads album already, or is this the same one?

The self-titled one. I guess it came out in the fall but I didn't start hearing about it until March.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: jough on April 18, 2005, 09:00:32 pm
I got the Futureheads and Franz Ferdinand at the same time and sometimes I get confused about which song is from which band, since the singers sound similar (i.e. like early Blur).

The Futureheads songs though seem to be a bit more forced, like they are trying to be hip and *****ic, like Devo before they were through being cool.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: St_Zartan on April 19, 2005, 05:48:34 am
Some days, I really, really wish that there was a Smiths album I hadn't already heard.

Is it a rut if you're thoroughly enjoying yourself?
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: jough on April 19, 2005, 06:45:25 am
Oh please, I spin (well, the hard drive plates in my iPod spin) a Smiths album at least once a week.  It's not a rut, it's just good fuck*ng taste.

And my second play of the new NIN wasn't as bad, once I got over the initial foul swallow of disappointment.  Maybe it'll grow on me, but I was just listening to the Downward Spiral Deluxe Edition before listening to the new one, so there's really little chance the new one could have fared favourably in the comparison.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: slink on April 19, 2005, 06:58:05 am
Quote from: "jough"
Maybe it'll grow on me, but I was just listening to the Downward Spiral Deluxe Edition before listening to the new one, so there's really little chance the new one could have fared favourably in the comparison.


I agree, it's not The Downward Spiral, but then what is... However, I agreed with someone who commented that this album is Trent rejecting the idea he has to one up anything else he's done. And I mean, Only is just great. And Sunspots, and... Anyhow, it's continuing to grow on me past the 'I dig it' phase.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: jough on April 19, 2005, 07:08:27 am
Honestly, the 40 year old with the adolescent posturing just seems very cheesy to me, because it's false angst.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: slink on April 19, 2005, 06:51:38 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Honestly, the 40 year old with the adolescent posturing just seems very cheesy to me, because it's false angst.


I don't know. I don't consider it false. Maybe a bit sad, but then I doubt I'm going to be in any better shape when I'm almost 40 so I can't hold it against him. And I dig the music anyway. The lyrics are certainly better than The Fragile, but then bar a couple of tracks NIN were never about the lyrics for me.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: BatzRadio on April 19, 2005, 07:01:08 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I got the Futureheads and Franz Ferdinand at the same time and sometimes I get confused about which song is from which band, since the singers sound similar (i.e. like early Blur).

The Futureheads songs though seem to be a bit more forced, like they are trying to be hip and *****ic, like Devo before they were through being cool.


In my head I just think, Futureheads = Good Gang of Four ripoff and Franz Ferdinand = Okay Josef K ripoff. Actually, I somehow dodged hearing FF for a long time, but I got hip to the Futureheads through the last year of the John Peel show archives that were thrown all over Usenet after he passed away.

Lately, part of my listening has been steered by WFMU. I got a hold of the Brian Eno Peel Session tracks he did with the Winkies and they were just awesome. Later this week I'm planning on getting the new Glove Compartment CD from a local indie shop. And whenever I find it I'll get the Heartfelt album from the marvelously bizarre Tony Mason-Cox.

Mostly though I've been working on the pet project of listening to stuff that I like enough to play on my off-and-on internet radio station.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: robot_roll_call on April 19, 2005, 07:24:44 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Honestly, the 40 year old with the adolescent posturing just seems very cheesy to me, because it's false angst.


That's the thing...everyone assumes he's still doing the "Prince of Darkness" thing, but this album is very far from it. It's not an angst-filled album. A number of the songs border on optimistic, (All the Love in the World, Only, Sunspots, Right Where it Belongs) and the whole thing just has a feel of maturity that his others don't. It actually might be my favorite album of his for that reason. At the very least, this album is certainly worthy of going next to his others on my shelf.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: slink on April 19, 2005, 10:17:07 pm
Quote from: "*****_roll_call"
...the whole thing just has a feel of maturity that his others don't. It actually might be my favorite album of his for that reason. At the very least, this album is certainly worthy of going next to his others on my shelf.


Damnin straight.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: CortJstr on April 20, 2005, 12:04:10 am
I've been listening to The Used & My Chemical Romance cover of Under Pressure, simply because the radio won't stop playing it.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: antioch on April 22, 2005, 06:52:19 am
The Blood Brothers did a cover of Under Pressure a couple years ago, and it beats all. Much panting, screaming, and clapping.

I have been listening to Japanese punk. I need more Systematic Death, bad.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: jough on April 22, 2005, 07:22:57 am
You need more Chromatic Death.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: arkabee on April 22, 2005, 01:43:17 pm
upon constant listening over the past recent period of time, i have come to the objective conclusion that Blast Tyrant is the Best Rock Album of All Time Until The Next Best Rock Album of All Time appears.

for a more accurate analogy:  take all previous Clutch albums, extract the purest extract of excellence from each, and combine that excellence into one album.

for those not familiar with any previous (or later) Clutch work, the best way to describe their music is that sonically it would kick your favorite music's ass but that socially it be all "hey, sorry, didn't realize my own strength, how do you feel about the consequences of aristotle's death in regards to small sea going vessels in the early 14th centry?".
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: antioch on April 23, 2005, 12:12:59 pm
Quote from: "jough"
You need more Chromatic Death.


Yeah, because I can't really take any SOD with vocals anymore. The only thing that will salvage Milano's name, as far as I'm concerned, is if he puts out a solo Street Sharks-themed concept album.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: miles on April 25, 2005, 06:06:27 am
The Nick Cave B-Sides and Rarities compilation (has this been mentioned yet?) is really good.  I just picked it up (traded in some CDs) and it was pretty cheap.  Three CDs for just about $20.

I haven't listened to the whole thing yet, of course, but highlights so far include a spectacular cover of Running Scared--a long-time favorite of mine (the Orbison version, though I believe Cave covers it on Kicking Against the Pricks, as well), The Train Song, and a cover of What a Wonderful World.  Oh, and the acoustic versions of Deanna and Mercy Seat are also great (Mercy Seat is probably my favorite Nick Cave song).

I haven't heard the most recent Cave & Bad Seeds album (or double album or whatever).  Anyone else?  I wasn't too impressed with Nocturama, but it was OK.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: starlight on April 25, 2005, 11:39:45 am
As of this past weekend, it's M83's Before The Dawn Heals Us.
It's a bit cheesy at parts, but I still hear some of the good ol' M83 in the instrumental pieces.... the duet that sounds rather Disney-like has GOT to go though.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Golfhaus on April 28, 2005, 05:53:40 am
Thanks to my girlfriend, I've recently discovered Groove Armada. Giving Vertigo a spin, and playing "At The River" on a track-repeat-for-hours basis.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Bozack on April 28, 2005, 06:38:21 am
I'm a fan of the Nick Cave double. It's spinning like a winner. Recently, I snagged a really old Yo La Tengo album and a rockabilly comp that includes a radio ad for a LP that teaches you how to survive a nuclear apocalypse, and discussions on "beat" with Allen Ginsberg and Margaret Mead.
Did I mention the Virginia Dare album? Did I? Because it's good.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: pineapple on April 28, 2005, 07:53:42 am
talk like a ***** in the habititting way!

lately I have been jamming with Sufjan's Illinois, John Darnielle's The Sunset Tree, Of Montreal's Sunlandic Twins, and plus a recent little "rediscovery" of mine (yeah, I suck), Olivia Tremor Control's Dusk at Cubist Castle.

ALRIGHT!
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: CortJstr on April 28, 2005, 12:44:40 pm
After reading a review of Motion City Soundtrack's new album I decided to go DL their first one. I'm enjoying the first few songs quite a bit but not so much the ones at the end.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: BatzRadio on April 28, 2005, 02:10:55 pm
The Fall's Complete Peel Sessions Box Set (http://www.sanctuaryrecords.co.uk/fall/) has started travelling the buccaneer circuit in advance of the US release on May 23rd.

And there is so much wonderful stuff in it. I'm placing my preorder at Siren Disc this weekend.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: St_Zartan on April 28, 2005, 02:38:36 pm
:heart:  :heart:  :heart: BATZRADIO :heart:  :heart:  :heart:
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: BatzRadio on April 28, 2005, 03:00:34 pm
I have one very minor quibble about it. I miss Peelie's bridging comments about the songs from my old bootlegs.

Other than that though, the music just smokes. Especially the version of Eat Y'Self Fitter.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: CortJstr on April 29, 2005, 12:09:41 am
I just DL's the title track (http://www.matadorrecords.com/the_new_pornographers/music.html) from The New Pornographers next album. It's definitely fun but they have a lot to live up to since Electric Version. Damn that's a fine album.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: BatzRadio on April 29, 2005, 02:18:40 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I just DL's the title track (http://www.matadorrecords.com/the_new_pornographers/music.html) from The New Pornographers next album. It's definitely fun but they have a lot to live up to since Electric Version. Damn that's a fine album.


This one reminds me too much of the AC Newman solo album, which wasn't bad but still. I kinda wished they woulda picked a Dan Bejar song as the lead single, but that's because his Destroyer stuff has been knocking me the fuck out with its' greatness lately. Especially Streethawk and the MergeFest 2004 live set.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: pmcd9 on April 29, 2005, 03:33:40 am
I can't keep up with all this music (http://pitchforkmedia.com/columns/puritan-blister/05-02-18.shtml).

~Paul
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Bozack on April 29, 2005, 05:17:44 am
I'm actually listening to a shit-ton of Sun Ra now. Woooo incomprehensible!
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: jough on May 07, 2005, 06:47:54 am
Best review I've seen so far of the new NIN album:

http://www.tinymixtapes.com/musicreviews/n/nine_inch_nails.htm
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: miles on May 08, 2005, 07:15:56 am
You guys should check out Separation Sunday by The Hold Steady.  It's good.

Also, Emmylou Harris' Wrecking Ball is one of the most beautiful things EVER.

Also on heavy rotation:  OP8:  Slush.  Lisa Germano with Howe Gelb of Giant Sand, and Joey Burns and John Convertino of (currently) Calexico.  Lisa Germano is a beautiful person.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: pmcd9 on May 08, 2005, 07:17:53 am
Quote from: "miles"
Also, Emmylou Harris' Wrecking Ball is one of the most beautiful things EVER.

I agree wholeheartedly.

~Paul
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Mr Trout on May 09, 2005, 03:21:15 am
I just got ahold of 69 Love Songs by The Magnetic Fields and it is awesome. I first heard them on Last.fm which is quickly becoming my primary source for new music. I've only really listened to the first disc so far, but I really like I Don't Want to Get Over You, Let's Pretend We're Bunny Rabbits, and Reno Dakota.

I've also been listening to a lot of Mars Volta recently. I first heard them through Last.fm as well, and I've really been enjoying their CD Deloused in the Comatorium. Sometimes they get a little too far out there and really lose me, but some of the songs (and parts of songs) are so unbelievably tight I can't help but like them. Take the Veil Cerpin Taxt is awesome, for example.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Max on May 09, 2005, 04:59:31 am
Not to be shitting all over your parade but the first disc is the only really superb one of the three.  They're all good, though.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: jough on May 09, 2005, 05:36:21 am
Max, I'm glad to hear you say that, because I've always thought that too but I've heard others say that they like either 2 or 3 the best.  I guess it depends on your mood.

"I Don't Want to Get Over You" and "I Think I Need a New Heart" are my two favourites, followed by "Reno Dakota" "A Chicken with its Head Cut Off" and "I'm the Luckiest Guy From the Lower East Side".

Great lyrics on those first three.  Very clever but touching at the same time.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: arkabee on May 09, 2005, 12:54:29 pm
slink,
"sunspots" is good, but i can't stop listening to "only".
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: CortJstr on May 09, 2005, 01:09:03 pm
Quote from: "Mr Trout"
I first heard them on Last.fm which is quickly becoming my primary source for new music.

Are you in our Achewood group? It's Underground Vinyl (http://www.audioscrobbler.com/group/Underground%2BVinyl).
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: miles on May 09, 2005, 05:15:37 pm
Quote from: "Max"
Not to be shitting all over your parade but the first disc is the only really superb one of the three.  They're all good, though.


I think the project overall is very ambitious with some really high points--in fact many of the songs are among my all-time favorite songs, but all three discs have low points too.

Although my introduction to the band was I Don't Want to Get Over You, and it's still a favorite.

I think that Magnetic Fields' best albums are Holiday and the Charm of the Highway Strip.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Mr Trout on May 09, 2005, 11:53:17 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "Mr Trout"
I first heard them on Last.fm which is quickly becoming my primary source for new music.

Are you in our Achewood group? It's Underground Vinyl (http://www.audioscrobbler.com/group/Underground%2BVinyl).


Thank you for the tip, I did not realize there was an Achewood group. How novel!

And it's by application only, how exclusive!


Quote from: "miles"
think that Magnetic Fields' best albums are Holiday and the Charm of the Highway Strip


Thanks for the tips. Right now I have 69 Love songs, Distant Plastic Trees, and The Wayward Bus. I'll have to keep my eyes out for those other two.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: V-Adore on May 10, 2005, 02:43:24 am
As of today, I have in my possession both the Mountain Goats' Tallahassee and Stars' Set Yourself On Fire. I haven't listened yet -- really, I'm not in the mindplace for either today -- but I shall update further when I have.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: jough on May 10, 2005, 04:57:41 am
I got the new Spoon album (my first exposure to this band) and it's a'ight so far.  Nothing to lose sleep over.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: antioch on May 10, 2005, 07:11:47 am
I had a tremendous urge to listen to "source tags and codes" by ...and you will know us by the trail of dead a couple weeks ago. In the past I have had mixed feelings for this album. Over these last weeks I've been enjoying it alot. I think what lead to my original confusion at the album is the production. The stuff can get really noisey and dissonant, and is layered with this windex sheen that takes some of the edge off. It seems like the vocals are compressed or effected to reduce throatiness. The mix is great, and the production is not so much of a deterent as a sidenote. Still, I would like to hear their earlier music in search of a rawer sound.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: BatzRadio on May 10, 2005, 07:16:14 am
Quote from: "Mr Trout"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "Mr Trout"
I first heard them on Last.fm which is quickly becoming my primary source for new music.

Are you in our Achewood group? It's Underground Vinyl (http://www.audioscrobbler.com/group/Underground%2BVinyl).


Thank you for the tip, I did not realize there was an Achewood group. How novel!

And it's by application only, how exclusive!


Audioscrobbler's a neat little invention, although my most recent updates on there are a little weird-ass because of it being linked to my shoutcasting ventures.

(Applied for the group like the trendfollower I am.)
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: arkabee on May 10, 2005, 01:25:55 pm
woo-hoo, Clutch's Live in Flint is absolutely amazing.  Live at Googolplex is ok, but Flint is a winner.

if noone else likes clutch, i'll stop.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Max on May 10, 2005, 03:46:49 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
As of today, I have in my possession both the Mountain Goats' Tallahassee and Stars' Set Yourself On Fire. I haven't listened yet -- really, I'm not in the mindplace for either today -- but I shall update further when I have.


For Tallahassee sit down quietly somewhere outside where you can watch people from a distance.

If you're not losing serious sleep over the new Spoon you must not be listening right!  That shit is amazing.

I also recently got on the ...And You Will Know bandwagon with that album, Guy Who Said That, and I'm getting pretty into it.  The songs are mostly sort of over-layered, but they all reveal hell of hooks by halfway in.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 11, 2005, 12:53:39 am
Quote from: "jough"
I got the new Spoon album (my first exposure to this band) and it's a'ight so far.  Nothing to lose sleep over.


I have Kill the Moonlight, which is great, and Girls Can Tell, which is very good.  Haven't picked up the new one yet but will sooner or later.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: antioch on May 11, 2005, 10:07:31 am
Quote from: "Max"

I also recently got on the ...And You Will Know bandwagon with that album, Guy Who Said That, and I'm getting pretty into it.  The songs are mostly sort of over-layered, but they all reveal hell of hooks by halfway in.


 Hooks deffinitely appear. And the subject matter is aligned with the build-ups. What has become beautiful to me is that the singing and songwriting react against a normal life. Like the band decided that they are going to die next week and that they'd better drop 5 years of mind flab and do something universally significant. The line "Forgiveness - it's just a dream. Forgiveness - it's everything" at the end of Another Morning Stoner struck me the other day. The song alternates requiem and lullabye with verse and chorus. Somehow hope is salvaged in the outro. Parts of the album bore me, but I respect and love that it was someone's everything.  
-GWST
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: slink on May 18, 2005, 07:33:28 pm
Just got a couple of cds from my brother that are worth mentioning.
Particularly, right now, Seasick Steve and the Level Devils. Guy was a hobo for years. It's just, great blues. Kind of the heavier blues from Tom Waits, as the guy's vocals are pretty rough in the same sort of way.

Darko Rundek is really cool too. It's a Czech poet and band, or something, and is... Very cool.

Also a Man or Astroman album, which is cool as I haven't listened to them in a long time.
Those and the new System of a Down album ('I hope your stepson doesn't eat the giraffe') have been getting a lot of play.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: pmcd9 on May 18, 2005, 11:38:29 pm
I saw System of a Down on SNL two weeks ago, and thought, this is pretty good.  I'd probably really dig them if I were 14.

~Paul
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: antioch on May 19, 2005, 07:07:37 am
System of a Down is great if you are too tired to change the stereo from Mr. Bungle's first album to Dead Kennedys. I used to love that band, but their "politics" totally grate on me now. Steal this album? Way to understand information culture, guys.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: CortJstr on May 19, 2005, 12:45:19 pm
Quote from: "antioch"
Steal this album? Way to understand information culture, guys.

I don't actually like SoaD but isn't that album a collection of tracks that they never planned to release but had spread via Kazaa so quickly that they figured, "hey, if there's a demand for tracks we thought weren't good enough to release then what the hell?"
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: arkabee on May 19, 2005, 12:59:47 pm
Quote from: "antioch"
Steal this album? Way to understand information culture, guys.


perhaps they were not alluding to "information culture" so much as American Culture:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/156858217X/002-5647697-1651222?v=glance

http://www.tenant.net/Community/steal/steal.html
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: angryhate on May 21, 2005, 07:08:40 am
behold... the arctopus - nano-nucleonic cyborg summoning ep
angry hate/sloth split 12''
angry hate/sloth split 7''
anal cunt - top 40 hits
sloth/dot[.]+timisoara split 7''
goatsnake/burning witch split cd
demilich - nespithe
motorhead - overkill
jim gaffigan - last supper

everyone needs to get the behold... the arctopus ep. it's like psyopus, only instrumental and better
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: old kentucky shark on May 21, 2005, 07:30:10 am
Saint Etienne do a totally wicked synth-disco "Only Love Can Break Your Heart". I am listening their album Fox Base Alpha.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: antioch on May 21, 2005, 09:46:10 am
Quote from: "angryhate"


everyone needs to get the behold... the arctopus ep. it's like psyopus, only instrumental and better


I don't know about that. Psyopus is pretty bad. A golden boy guitarist noodling his brain out with a competent drummer and a "sorry, he's my roommate" vocalist doesn't do much for me. Arctopus will probably be alright if they keep their songs short. But I think Orthrelm is all I'll need in the realm of lazer metal guitar warfare.

Also, Angryhate and Anal Cunt are great. The way Seth describes the origin of AH on his site cracks me up. I've never heard their records, but the name and concept rule. Tsa nice username, brociferous.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: St_Zartan on May 21, 2005, 02:18:11 pm
Quote from: "old kentucky shark"
Saint Etienne do a totally wicked synth-disco "Only Love Can Break Your Heart". I am listening their album Fox Base Alpha.


Oh yes. Why this band never hit it bigger in the States, I will never know. Mothra!

I think I listened to "How We Used to Live" off of Sound of Water about six times yesterday at work. Which, of course, sounds pretty much nothing like their "Only Love Can Break Your Heart", but that is one of the really nifty things about Saint Etienne - their sound may change, but their signature is pretty distinctive.

Quote from: "antioch"
Anal Cunt [is] great


Man, was I ever disappointed when I actually, after years of having enjoyed reading the backs of their CDs in record shops, got around to hearing an AC song. The actual songs themselves are interchangable; roughly seventy-one seconds of unintelligible screaming and solid, featureless noise ostensibly made with musical instruments. I still use "You Drive an Iroc-Z" as an all-purpose insult, though.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: antioch on May 27, 2005, 06:27:06 am
If you try to follow what AC's drummer is doing on the snare for their noisier songs, it resembles a really fast one-handed fill. I like that, but yeah, they were started with the sole intention of pissing people off and sounding terrible. Check out the AC acoustic album - Picnic of Love.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: robot_roll_call on May 28, 2005, 05:37:46 am
I am digging on this new Gorillaz album. Kind of a shame that Miho Hatori and Del don't make apperances this time, though.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: angryhate on May 29, 2005, 10:06:24 am
behold... the arctopus - arctopocalypse now... warmageddon later
upsidedown cross - upside down cross
lewis black - luther burbank performing arts center blues
brainoil/iron lung split 7''

upsidedown cross is seriously classy doomy stuff.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: V-Adore on June 03, 2005, 11:42:38 pm
Recent acquisition: Wolf Parade's self-titled six-song EP. Haven't listened yet, but the two MP3s I have from it make me happy like very little music has lately, so I suspect good things.

even if I feel like Indie Rock Pete for even owning it
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: CortJstr on June 04, 2005, 12:55:36 am
I got the new Sleater-Kinney. I like it but I think Indie-Rock Pete must have an alternate version or something.

The new Mike Doughty is great. I wish I'd seen him last month when I had the chance.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: andalucia on June 04, 2005, 01:26:31 am
Yeah, I was kinda underwhelmed by the new Sleater-Kinney album, cause I'd heard so much about it being their big rock-out guitar album, and sure, they have picked up some nifty tricks, but I still think Dig Me Out and All Hands on the Bad One are way more rock-out-y.  

Things I've been listening to over-and-over-and-over lately are Leadbelly, Joanna Newsom, the X-Ray Spex, and Serge Gainsbourg.  It's a winning combination.

Edit:  Oh, and Tim by the Replacements.  Manymany times.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: miles on June 04, 2005, 05:00:39 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
...Serge Gainsbourg.


Also got the new Sleater-Kinney, and I like it.  It's the first album by them that I've owned.

I think I've mentioned it before, and I think it was in response to andalucia (or someone) mentioning his name, but Serge Gainsbourg's Cannabis Soundtrack is so good.  It's hard to find, but I was able to download it on Soulseek.  I don't think my SO will go for it, but I want this one track off of it played at our wedding.  It's probably better that way, though.  I think the track's title translates as Last Wound or something like that.  And the title track is a-maz-ing.  It can be found on that Saint Etienne mix CD.

I am previewing Art Brut's latest, because I read about it this morning.  It's OK, but I think the vocals annoy me a little.  Fun though.

Today and yesterday at work I was able to listen to my iPod for most of my shift, and listened to a lot of early and mid-90s rock like Nirvana, Treepeople and Soundgarden.  It was good times.

And I recently picked up Geek the Girl by Lisa Germano.  It's good.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: St_Zartan on June 06, 2005, 04:46:09 pm
Sparks' "Kimono My House". I cannot believe this record was made over 30 years ago.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: jough on June 06, 2005, 05:32:39 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Sparks' "Kimono My House". I cannot believe this record was made over 30 years ago.


I haven't heard that one, but I'm downloading it now (legally).

But "Angst in my Pants" is one of my favourite albums.  They did "Micky penis" on SNL back in the early 80s and when I saw that I was hooked.

Almost all of their album names are awful puns or plays on words, too, like "A Woofer in Tweeter's Clothing" or "Gratuitous Sax and Senseless Violins".

Also, their last album was released in 2002!
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: andalucia on June 06, 2005, 10:04:45 pm
Quote from: "miles"
I think I've mentioned it before, and I think it was in response to andalucia (or someone) mentioning his name, but Serge Gainsbourg's Cannabis Soundtrack is so good.  It's hard to find, but I was able to download it on Soulseek.  I don't think my SO will go for it, but I want this one track off of it played at our wedding.  It's probably better that way, though.  I think the track's title translates as Last Wound or something like that.  


"First wound", actually, but heck yes.  And have you heard L'histoire du Melody Nelson?  It's my fave Gainsbourg.  It's also worth looking for a translation of the lyrics if you don't parlay le francais, the story the album tells is wonderfully bizarre, and lots of usual sleazy Gainsbourgness.

edit: oh, no, nevermind, I forgot that there's a "last wound" track as well.  Both are rad, so you're still right.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: angryhate on June 07, 2005, 07:18:33 am
minutemen - double nickels on the dime
lewis black - the white album
lewis black - end of the universe
lewis black - rules of enragement
fikure - market ep
fat day - unf! unf!
fistula/burmese split cd
burmese - men
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Bozack on June 07, 2005, 05:49:56 pm
You know what makes me so sad? There's an 18-minute song saga that came with the Cat Power DVD, with her singing vocals and M. Ward playing guitar. It's called "Willie Deadwilder," and I am officially in love with it. I have become the sort of person that enjoys 18-minute-long narrative song sagas.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: arkabee on June 07, 2005, 07:13:54 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
I seem to be having tremendous difficulty with my lifestyle.



keep on keepin' on, kiddo.

and while i realize just how condescending that could seem, to the point that if i remember back to the halcyon days of my youth my reaction to such a statement would have been a hearty "fuck you" and a long, hard pull on some type of embalming fluid concoction, the important thing is to be able to laugh at it too.

because regardless of whether it's Man, Nature, or Self that you are currently embattled with/against, the important thing to do is to continue to fight, lest not making you stronger it does Indeed kill you.

listen, i'm not trying to be pollyanna cheerful prick here, optimistic people give me ulcers.  i'm just giving you a pep talk akin to the guy at the bar who slurredly states "hey, it could be worse, they could..." and then promptly passes out off his bar stool.

i matriculated some outragsously overly prestigous prick-incubator and graduated from Dick Vitale Community College and i'm doing [cue= visible facial tick] f-f-f-f-ine.

so, to paraphrase the "leader" of a Texas Ufo Death Cult, don't just enjoy that 18 minute alterna chick ballad, enjoy the fuck out of it.


ps- i think she's dreeeeamy too.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: miles on June 09, 2005, 02:07:54 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
"First wound", actually, but heck yes.  And have you heard L'histoire du Melody Nelson?  It's my fave Gainsbourg.  It's also worth looking for a translation of the lyrics if you don't parlay le francais, the story the album tells is wonderfully bizarre, and lots of usual sleazy Gainsbourgness.

edit: oh, no, nevermind, I forgot that there's a "last wound" track as well.  Both are rad, so you're still right.


I previewed part of L'histoire du Melody Nelson a while back, and really enjoyed what I heard.  One of these days when I have money I'm going to go out and buy like ALL his shit.

Did you, or anyone, see the movie Cannabis?  I think in the US the title is The Mafia Wants Your Blood.  I imagine it isn't wonderful, but I do want to see it.  Getting a copy of it is the hard part.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Bozack on June 09, 2005, 03:28:10 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"

keep on keepin' on, kiddo.


Ha, thanks, man. That's the best inspirational speech I've ever gotten on the internet!
You know, it's kind of sad that after so long, I finally bought Neutral Milk Hotel's "In The Aeroplane Over The Sea," but I did, and it is awesome. I'm also pumped because I tabbed out "King of Carrot Flowers, Pt. 1".

F7! Bb6! F7! Bb6! C! Bb6!
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: slink on June 09, 2005, 07:41:43 pm
New Cat Empire album! Recorded at Estudio Egrem.
Definitely going to try and see them at the Fringe again this year.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: angryhate on June 13, 2005, 08:44:37 am
melt banana - charlie
melt banana - teeny shiny
autopsy - severed survival
sam black church - let in life
pharcyde - bizarre ride ii the pharcyde
dave attell - skanks for the memories
acid king - iii
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Pedro Picasso on June 17, 2005, 04:11:40 pm
He's meek.  He's a master of ceremonies.  He's doing a bad Woody Allen impression.

MC Meek's barely legal MP3 (http://www.x-omega.com/current/meek.mp3)



_________________________
Freedom.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: old kentucky shark on June 19, 2005, 05:03:46 am
I have been listening to records made by Stereolab.

They are so good.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: angryhate on June 19, 2005, 01:43:55 pm
napalm death - from enslavement to obliteration
napalm death - scum
a tribe called quest - low end theory
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: V-Adore on June 19, 2005, 05:52:36 pm
Just got done listening to Wolf Parade's self-titled six-song EP. It's not a perfect work -- they remind me of early R.E.M. in that the vocals are being mixed towards the back, but unlike early R.E.M. this is generally a weakness, since their lyrics are consistently interesting. They sound a bit rough yet, which I guess is understandable for a very young band, and I definitely like their use of weird sounds to complement the guitar and drums. Nothing sucks, and "Dear Sons and Daughters of Hungry Ghosts" (http://mp3.insound.com/download.cfm?mp3id=2343) is basically like treasure, so I am happy to own this.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: old kentucky shark on June 19, 2005, 10:21:26 pm
I really like Grounds for Divorce and its constituent notes
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: starlight on June 20, 2005, 05:35:33 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
"Dear Sons and Daughters of Hungry Ghosts" (http://mp3.insound.com/download.cfm?mp3id=2343) is basically like treasure


Ahh yeah, that's a rather nice song.  good on ya for linking that.. I had been hearing about that band for awhile now, but wasn't sure if I should download anything.

Reminds me I meant to link something from insound's mp3s on my lj and forgot.  now I may just link that one, too :D

[The song I am going to link: The National - All The Wine (http://mp3.insound.com/download.cfm?mp3id=2458)]

---

Also, I'm listening to the Animal Collective EP 'Prospect Hummer' a lot lately.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: antioch on June 21, 2005, 05:45:29 am
I went to Austin for the first time this weekend, because I had heard it had good stores. First stop was Waterloo records. I always kick myself for not writing down what I want to buy before entering a music store. It's easy to get distracted in those places. For Waterloo, I would have needed a list written out, a recorded list playing through headphones, and reminder microfiche glued to my eyes. The place totally consumed me in indie vinyl. And then, is that another room filled with just cds OH SHIIIT!

 I recovered an Orthrelm 5", barely. My belt-drive player keeps resetting when I try and spin the record. I'm going to try one of those players with the weighted arms.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: Limmo on June 21, 2005, 05:37:00 pm
I've just discovered the wonders of torrent trading.  So far, I've gotten a few 1973 / 1978 Stones shows, a compilation of Neil Young from the Time Fades Away tour, Stevie Wonder 1973, a bunch of old Television with Richard Hell, and this unreleased Pretty Things album recorded with a French drug dealer who paid them to write songs and let him sing them.  

Yay torrents.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: St_Zartan on June 27, 2005, 07:57:21 pm
Have any of you ever listened to the Delgados? I've been enjoying the hell out of their music today, the culmination of an eight- or nine-day Delgados kick that's been steadily building. I must have listened to "Accused of Stealing" five times already, and I really don't plan on letting up. It's such a terrific song.

Unfortunately, that song does not appear on Hate, which is their Album I Would Recommend to Anyone. Man. So good.
Title: So... what've you been listening to lately?
Post by: AugustWest on June 28, 2005, 08:59:30 pm
The David Murray Octet, Murray's Steps at the moment.  Long time favorite of mine.

And I'm locking this one too.  Because I'm in that kind of mood.