The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: V-Adore on February 02, 2005, 05:33:50 am

Title: 2 February 2005 -- entering enemy mode... 96%
Post by: V-Adore on February 02, 2005, 05:33:50 am
The return of Click *****! And also Ultra Peanut! Can love be on the horizon? I mean, it's not like anything as simple as a tiny, angry ***** ever broke up true love.

Also, note the maintenance of the billion-panels approach even after Ray's stoning has ended. Or is this supposed to be still part of Ray's drug trip? Hm.
Title: 2 February 2005 -- entering enemy mode... 96%
Post by: St_Zartan on February 02, 2005, 05:55:57 am
No two ways about it, that was pretty fuck*ng great. Liked the Ray dashing off to do his Own Thing in panel one, as well. Dig that posture - he is in the grip of some painful ideas at the moment. This may be immediately pre-garage (I may have read entirely too many amateur annotations in my lifetime, yes).

For that matter, I like the Ray that would make a (presumably) trans-pacific phone call to invite Ultra Peanut, whatever the hell relation she is to anybody ("Hi! This is Ray! -- Smuckles! My friend Philippe saw you naked, once, and my toilet is really blue right now, and there's grilling!"), to his "Blue Toilet Water 2005" party.

Enemy Mode also takes a while to load up, and in the meantime, you just have to stand there and wait for it. That is what comes of being an Enemy.
Title: 2 February 2005 -- entering enemy mode... 96%
Post by: foolio on February 02, 2005, 06:21:17 am
*sniff*

Poor Philippe. Why can't people just be nice to him?
Title: 2 February 2005 -- entering enemy mode... 96%
Post by: Doc on February 02, 2005, 06:48:47 am
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Throwing a party is sure a great excuse to revisit characters that have been absent for a while.


So it seems, especially since Ray's parties just seem to attract people without them needing to be invited, I'm pretty sure Blister and the *****s just showed up on their own.
Although assuming that Ultra Peanut had to come from Japan then it is possible that the party started to attract her before it had even begun. That or this blue toilet party was not as spontaneous as Ray made out.

'Ha ha! He want to Kill you!' is also a classic Ultra Peanut line.
Title: 2 February 2005 -- entering enemy mode... 96%
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 02, 2005, 07:13:46 am
I'm going to pretend this is my second post.

"wouldn't it say "screw you, man" in reverse like in a mirror if it came out forwards on Phillippe??"

I'm glad that's out of the way.
Title: 2 February 2005 -- entering enemy mode... 96%
Post by: mkilly on February 02, 2005, 07:32:55 am
Is "*****" censored for no reason on this message board? *#*#*. *****. #*#*#. **#**. ROXBOT.

anywho. To continue being pedantic, why did Urrta Peanut call Phillipe, "Phillippe, (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=12052002)" in this previous comic, but not in today's? lame. decent otherwise.
Title: 2 February 2005 -- entering enemy mode... 96%
Post by: miles on February 02, 2005, 07:49:32 am
Quote from: "mkilly"
anywho. To continue being pedantic, why did Urrta Peanut call Phillipe, "Phillippe, (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=12052002)" in this previous comic, but not in today's? lame. decent otherwise.


Dude, give her a break.  She's been away from Engrish speakers for two fuck*ng years, man.
Title: 2 February 2005 -- entering enemy mode... 96%
Post by: foolio on February 02, 2005, 07:54:04 am
Your mirror image complaint assumes that Click ***** just heated up. My theory is that knowing that he was going to brand Philippe, he mirror-imaged his text and then lunged at his neck to permanently tattoo him into disgrace.

I hope Philippe gets this worked out. He is only five, people.
Title: 2 February 2005 -- entering enemy mode... 96%
Post by: foolio on February 02, 2005, 07:54:47 am
yeah and wtf is up with the censoring of the word *****

piss
poop
fuck
shit
Sally Struthers
Title: Joiniversary!!
Post by: Andy on February 02, 2005, 08:19:39 am
HI - Today is my joiniversary, so I figured I should post.  I've actually been lurking since around the time this board started, but I have issues.  Also, my only other post is lame. Anyway, I really enjoy the many boxes format - and Philippe's eyes in the last panel.  Thank you and see you next year.
Title: 2 February 2005 -- entering enemy mode... 96%
Post by: jough on February 02, 2005, 08:27:58 am
Welcome Pat!

Well, this comic really takes the tiny windows approach to a new level.  It's funny, it brings back an old character (the "why you no..." construction is very accurate and also funny - I used to play chess with a Korean man who would always ask "Why you no..." when he questioned a move I made).

Click *#*#*'s revenge isn't swift, but it's harsh and inevitable.
Title: 2 February 2005 -- entering enemy mode... 96%
Post by: filas on February 02, 2005, 08:29:54 am
Quote from: "foolio"
Your mirror image complaint assumes that Click ##### just heated up. My theory is that knowing that he was going to brand Philippe, he mirror-imaged his text and then lunged at his neck to permanently tattoo him into disgrace.

I hope Philippe gets this worked out. He is only five, people.


i agree with foolio on his first post.  not so much the subsequent post.
Title: 2 February 2005 -- entering enemy mode... 96%
Post by: Steve Hogan on February 02, 2005, 01:21:07 pm
Quote from: "foolio"
I hope Philippe gets this worked out. He is only five, people.


In the words of Pat Benatar "Hell is for children"
Title: 2 February 2005 -- entering enemy mode... 96%
Post by: Bozack on February 02, 2005, 01:42:01 pm
I don't know if Ultra Peanut and Click ***** are going to give him the support he needs at this age.
Title: 2 February 2005 -- entering enemy mode... 96%
Post by: andalucia on February 02, 2005, 02:03:21 pm
Hey, you know what's funny?
Foreign people.


Yeah... I didn't dig this.
Title: 2 February 2005 -- entering enemy mode... 96%
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 02, 2005, 02:14:26 pm
Many small panels is good and I hope Achewood stays this way for a good long time.
Title: 2 February 2005 -- entering enemy mode... 96%
Post by: CortJstr on February 02, 2005, 02:16:30 pm
Quote from: St_Zartan
Enemy Mode also takes a while to load up, and in the meantime, you just have to stand there and wait for it. That is what comes of being an Enemy.
That's the beauty of it! You stand there holding it, wondering what Enemy Mode could mean and what cute thing it's going to do. But then the ***** is all, "no cuteness here, it's sizzle time, bitch!"

And you people have defeated the mighty CortJstr because I'm too lazy to explain again why ##### and ***** are censored.  Use the search, new people.
Title: 2 February 2005 -- entering enemy mode... 96%
Post by: MattFish on February 02, 2005, 02:40:11 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Enemy Mode also takes a while to load up, and in the meantime, you just have to stand there and wait for it. That is what comes of being an Enemy.

That's the beauty of it! You stand there holding it, wondering what Enemy Mode could mean and what cute thing it's going to do. But then the robot is all, "no cuteness here, it's sizzle time, bitch!"


Enemy mode is full of ***** hate. What I'm curious about is whether the ***** leapt to Philippe, in an unparalleled display of ***** hate, or Ultra Peanut is acting as a knowing enabler of its socially unacceptable revenge sprees and slapping it on the intended victim before they have a chance to figure out what Enemy mode fully entails. If the latter, shame on her. If the former, those crazy japanese for inventing the darn thing.
Title: 2 February 2005 -- entering enemy mode... 96%
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 02, 2005, 02:43:56 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Enemy Mode also takes a while to load up, and in the meantime, you just have to stand there and wait for it. That is what comes of being an Enemy.

That's the beauty of it! You stand there holding it, wondering what Enemy Mode could mean and what cute thing it's going to do. But then the robot is all, "no cuteness here, it's sizzle time, bitch!"

And you people have defeated the mighty CortJstr because I'm too lazy to explain again why robot and ##### are censored.  Use the search, new people.



Robot and pants are silly words anyway. I propose we use "automotons" and "breeches."
Title: 2 February 2005 -- entering enemy mode... 96%
Post by: AugustWest on February 02, 2005, 02:54:58 pm
Quote from: "foolio"
Sally Struthers


We don't appreciate that kind of language around here.  Consider yourself warned.

/Modding?
Title: 2 February 2005 -- entering enemy mode... 96%
Post by: AugustWest on February 02, 2005, 02:59:35 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Hey, you know what's funny?
Foreign people.


Yeah... I didn't dig this.

Aw come on.  There's much more to this strip than making fun of foreign people.  This ain't Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's.  Ultra Peanut is flabberghasting again.  And the ***** is vindictive.  Vindictive!
Title: 2 February 2005 -- entering enemy mode... 96%
Post by: andalucia on February 02, 2005, 03:09:46 pm
No, understood, I just find that there's a large component of "those crazy Japanese and their silly gizmos and poor grasp of English!", which is, at very least, not really all that comedically fresh.
Title: 2 February 2005 -- entering enemy mode... 96%
Post by: jough on February 02, 2005, 03:51:15 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
No, understood, I just find that there's a large component of "those crazy Japanese and their silly gizmos and poor grasp of English!", which is, at very least, not really all that comedically fresh.


I think you meant "poor grasp of Engrish" above, there.
Title: 2 February 2005 -- entering enemy mode... 96%
Post by: revdj on February 02, 2005, 04:05:22 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Throwing a party is sure a great excuse to revisit characters that have been absent for a while.


In real life, too.
Title: 2 February 2005 -- entering enemy mode... 96%
Post by: Null on February 02, 2005, 04:08:24 pm
I thought it was pretty amazing how quickly Philippe's fur grew back.
Title: 2 February 2005 -- entering enemy mode... 96%
Post by: cellardoor on February 02, 2005, 04:21:53 pm
*****.
#####.
In the UK ##### means underwear.
I like this strip. I want Phillipe to be OK.
Thank you.
Title: 2 February 2005 -- entering enemy mode... 96%
Post by: Silverberg on February 02, 2005, 04:32:14 pm
So is Philippe officially seven/eight years old now, or what?
Title: 2 February 2005 -- entering enemy mode... 96%
Post by: V-Adore on February 02, 2005, 06:02:37 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
No, understood, I just find that there's a large component of "those crazy Japanese and their silly gizmos and poor grasp of English!", which is, at very least, not really all that comedically fresh.

I agree with you on that point but would argue that the real joke isn't the weird gizmo, it's Clock Automaton's total malevolence. Clearly this has gone beyond merely a silly Japanese-type gizmo and is into full HAL territory.

(Also, has Ultra Peanut ever gotten a clear country of origin? I realize that "FeeReep" clearly implies Japan, but it still seems a bit ambiguous.)
Title: 2 February 2005 -- entering enemy mode... 96%
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 02, 2005, 07:03:04 pm
This (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03192002) sure looks like Japanese to me.  But I could be wrong.
Title: 2 February 2005 -- entering enemy mode... 96%
Post by: jough on February 02, 2005, 07:04:32 pm
Read the alt-text, bucko, it's Chinese.
Title: 2 February 2005 -- entering enemy mode... 96%
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 02, 2005, 07:05:36 pm
Well, shit.
Title: 2 February 2005 -- entering enemy mode... 96%
Post by: Skillator on February 02, 2005, 07:32:31 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Hey, you know what's funny?
Foreign people.

Yeah... I didn't dig this.


I really feel similar about Ultra Peanut. Vlad too. I mean it gives them a definite character, someone who you can hear in your head, but it doesn't push the laugh button for me.
I like when they are not around.
I do like Click -bot's perfect english of Screw you man though. Didn't he have similar language problems? The fact that someone would program that function is great.
Title: 2 February 2005 -- entering enemy mode... 96%
Post by: miles on February 02, 2005, 08:35:14 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
(Also, has Ultra Peanut ever gotten a clear country of origin? I realize that "FeeReep" clearly implies Japan, but it still seems a bit ambiguous.)


Maybe this is what Onstad is poking fun at, and why he leaves it a bit ambiguous.  Not that Asian people speak English funny (though I know that American English speakers get made fun of when speaking other languages--and I'm cool with that!), but that the stereotypes themselves are ridiculous.  Like when Krusty did his Chinese Man impression.  That itself wasn't hilarious (except to Bart), the fact that he did something so impolitic was.

But maybe that's expecting too much sophistication from a man who creates stuff like this (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01252002).

Wieners and boners, people.  Wieners and boners.
Title: 2 February 2005 -- entering enemy mode... 96%
Post by: jough on February 02, 2005, 09:05:37 pm
We've established through another thread that UltraPeanut is actually Chinese.

I don't know if the alt-text of her first appearance is the same as it was when first posted, or if Onstad only changed it recently.